Mail Suppression

Mail Suppression

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Aegael.6938

Aegael.6938

That feeling when you send 2 mails out and are then suppressed for an hour.

This has been an issue since launch, is it ever going to be resolved or at least throttled back? I’m not even asking for much, maybe let me send 5 mails out at least before suppressing me, this is incredibly ridiculous how it is now.

I feel awful for those people who honestly try to host a fun event and mail out prizes and they get suppressed instantly. Maybe Anet should just go the whole way and ban them for gold selling as well.

(edited by Aegael.6938)

Mail Suppression

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

This has been an issue since launch, is it ever going to be resolved or at least throttled back? I’m not even asking for much, maybe let me send 5 mails out at least before suppressing me, this is incredibly ridiculous how it is now.

I feel awful for those people who honestly try to host a fun event and mail out prizes and they get suppressed instantly. Maybe Anet should just go the whole way and ban them for gold selling as well.

1. This hasn’t been an issue since launch, because the current limits were added afterward.
  2. The limit after sending 2 emails in a row is ~30 seconds (seems to vary a bit — I’ve waited as little as 10 sec and as long as 45); it is never an hour unless you keep trying to press send without waiting.
  3. As noted above, the limit is setup to prevent spamming by gold sellers — it succeeds in preventing them from annoying more than two people before they are /reported and suspended.

There’s no question that it’s a pain and I wish it was more flexible. However, I accept that it’s the price we pay for the fact that some of our fellow players choose to buy gold from Real Money Traders — if that advertising didn’t succeed, the RMTs would stop doing it.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Mail Suppression

Aegael.6938

1. This hasn’t been an issue since launch, because the current limits were added afterward.
  2. The limit after sending 2 emails in a row is ~30 seconds (seems to vary a bit — I’ve waited as little as 10 sec and as long as 45); it is never an hour unless you keep trying to press send without waiting.
  3. As noted above, the limit is setup to prevent spamming by gold sellers — it succeeds in preventing them from annoying more than two people before they are /reported and suspended.

There’s no question that it’s a pain and I wish it was more flexible. However, I accept that it’s the price we pay for the fact that some of our fellow players choose to buy gold from Real Money Traders — if that advertising didn’t succeed, the RMTs would stop doing it.

1. Yes, it has been an issue since launch. Look up “Mail Suppression” on google, since Anet’s search engine sucks. You’ll find sources dating back to 2012 complaining about mail suppression after just two mails.

2. That’s your personal experience. It doesn’t invalidate my experience of waiting upwards of 40 minutes to send out another mail after sending out a little more than 2. It likely snowballs into longer waiting periods depending on how many mails you send out.

3. That’s an absolutely ridiculous argument. Are you trying to argue that it’s worth it if a system causes a gold seller to annoy two less people when the system itself annoys – without hyperbole – THOUSANDS of legitimate players?

No, sorry, I don’t care if half the playerbase buys gold, there shouldn’t be restrictions that penalize legitimate players so heavily. As I stated, I never even asked for enormous changes, I’m sure there’s a balance point that Anet could find which isn’t the ridiculous system we have now. Whether it’s based on mutual friends, guild/party/squad members, an “I’m running an official contest” buff or a global increase on the cap, there absolutely needs to be a change so that mails aren’t so heavily restricted.

(edited by Aegael.6938)

Mail Suppression

Posted by: Avalanche.9460

Avalanche.9460

mail suppression affects the most vibrant members of the community extremely heavily…people that host and participate in contests, people that are nice and hand out food to people in open world bosses or dungeons…

heck, even normal people like me, if we try to mail multiple people at once we just get suppressed…i can’t really understand it, i’d much rather filter gold sellers manually than have it done for me like this…it’s a mail system, but after a few mails my guy apparently gets a papercut and can’t mail anymore. literacy in tyria must be very poor, it tires my guy out so fast…

actually, i was thinking of doing a fun contest myself awhile ago, then just decided not to because it’s too much of a huge pain to wait a ton of time between every mail.

the mail system itself needs an outbox so we can see mails we’ve sent, too…mail in general kind of sucks, and that’s horrible considering it’s the only way we can even trade with other players in this game…

(edited by Avalanche.9460)

Mail Suppression

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

That limit shouldn’t apply if both people are on each other’s friends’ list yet it still applies. I ran into that not long ago because I send all my reclaimed weapons to a friend.

Mail Suppression

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

the limit also shouldnt apply if both people are in the same group as often group members send food & slaying potions to their other members when doing dungeons etc…

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

Mail Suppression

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

That limit shouldn’t apply if both people are on each other’s friends’ list yet it still applies. I ran into that not long ago because I send all my reclaimed weapons to a friend.

the limit also shouldnt apply if both people are in the same group as often group members send food & slaying potions to their other members when doing dungeons etc…

Then the gold sellers would insist on adding you to their friend’s list briefly, or grouping up in order to make their transaction… completely negating the intended function of email suppression.

Do you have any other suggestions that wouldn’t cause this? ’Cause, honestly, I think we could all get behind gold-spamming measures that minimally impact the player base… something every MMO has been trying to do for a very long time.

~EW

(edited by EphemeralWallaby.7643)

Mail Suppression

Khisanth.2948

Then the gold sellers would insist on adding you to their friend’s list briefly, or grouping up in order to make their transaction… completely negating the intended function of email suppression.

Do you have any other suggestions that wouldn’t cause this? ’Cause, honestly, I think we could all get behind gold-spamming measures that minimally impact the player base… something every MMO has been trying to do for a very long time.

~EW

I recommend reading the posts again.

Mail Suppression

EphemeralWallaby.7643

~EW

The posts wanted exceptions X and Y, and I said X and Y will instead subvert one of the purposes of the mail limitations (which hasn’t been addressed yet in this thread, I’m happy to do so in another post if you’d like). So, what am I missing that you seem to see?

~EW

Mail Suppression

Khisanth.2948

~EW

The posts wanted exceptions X and Y, and I said X and Y will instead subvert one of the purposes of the mail limitations (which hasn’t been addressed yet in this thread, I’m happy to do so in another post if you’d like). So, what am I missing that you seem to see?

~EW

Nobody is going to be adding spammers to their friends list or joining party with them.

Mail Suppression

EphemeralWallaby.7643

~EW

~EW

Nobody is going to be adding spammers to their friends list or joining party with them.

Players will when they’re buying gold if that’s a way to get around mail limitations.

See, large amounts of gold being emailed alerts ANet…. many smaller emails *might not.

~EW

Mail Suppression

Khisanth.2948

~EW

~EW

They will when they’re buying gold if that’s a way to get around mail limitations.

~EW

This thread has nothing to do with the gold limit. It is about the NUMBER OF MAILS SENT OUT. The gold withdrawal limit is a completely separate thing.

Mail Suppression

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Okay, let’s get into another reason why the mail limitations exist that hasn’t been addressed… and I’ll do so with a RL situation:

In LotRO many of us were in ventrillo talking and laughing and having a good time. One player logged in to ventrillo just to chat, but not to play the game ‘cause she didn’t have the time.

While we were chatting, one of her characters log in. We asked about it ‘cause she said she wasn’t going to play… she responded, “I haven’t logged in.” But, there was her character.

So, she tried to log in, and couldn’t. She started getting excited; all of us started getting excited.

Her character made a bee-line for the bank, then the merchant, then for the mailbox. And, after a couple minutes logged out.

Every single one of us in our Kinship (Guild) who were playing started logging in support tickets, as well as messaging the person pleading with them to stop. At the time we were one of the largest Kinships on our server.

Character after character logged in, went to the merchant, then to the mailbox, and then logged out.

It was hours before any dev responded… by then her account was empty. There was nothing they could do to return her stuff… it would have required resetting the server, and thus everyone’s characters.

I NEVER want to see a friend go through that again.

Most gold sellers get their money from hacked accounts… they hack the account and drain it before it can be locked.

These mail limitations give the chance that the real owner of a hacked account might retain some/most of their possessions while they try and get their account back. Simultaneously it neuters a gold seller’s source of gold from active accounts.

I’m sorry people are annoyed by the limitations, but I am happy they exist if it means other people might not have to experience what my friend went through and our entire Kinship had to helplessly witness.

~EW

Mail Suppression

EphemeralWallaby.7643

This thread has nothing to do with the gold limit. It is about the NUMBER OF MAILS SENT OUT. The gold withdrawal limit is a completely separate thing.

You send gold via mail. Mail with large amounts of gold ping on ANet’s radar. So, in order to send large amounts of gold w/o the player AND seller making ANet aware, it’d have to be done over many mails with smaller amounts… and thus the mail limitations…. It becomes cumbersome to the seller, and makes the buyer paranoid that they’ve been duped: it discourages buying.

I don’t know how I can more clearly state that.

Also, read my new post just above for the other reason this exists.

~EW

(edit: for more clarity, also accidentally said emails instead of mail, sorry)

Mail Suppression

Aegael.6938

Okay, let me write a story about a completely different, unrelated game.

In GW2, account-based rollbacks exist.

Maybe you can do some research before blindly supporting a broken system next time.

Mail Suppression

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Maybe you can do some research before blindly supporting a broken system next time.

Sure, the player gets their money/stuff back… but the seller would still make away with gold to sell if the system weren’t in place. You seemed to have glossed over the part where I said, “Simultaneously it neuters a gold seller’s source of gold from active accounts.”

Maybe you can think about the implications of everything I stated before blindly insulting me next time.

~EW

Mail Suppression

EphemeralWallaby.7643

@Aegael: Also, instead of just bashing something, why not try to suggest and think about an alternative? I know it’s a stretch, but constructive criticism on the internet can be a thing that exists.

I recall nearly every MMO I’ve played trying means and methods for curtailing gold sellers. And, it’s always intrusive… but the hope by player AND company is to impact the legit player base as minimally as possible.

So, if you’ve other means and methods that will work better and less intrusively, please suggest them… because there’re are people at ANet who’s job it is to think about this stuff, who have the qualifications and data to come up with these means, and we’re still having to deal with the in-game mail limitations.

I’d certainly love to see something better.

~EW

Mail Suppression

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I do think that the suppression limit should be greatly eased between people in the same guild, party, squad, or mutual friends list. At least I do if the concern is that spam advertising (or trolling large amounts of bags of salt, maybe) is going to unwilling recipients. Maybe not squad. I could see spammers joining squads just to fling out messages and mails before they get booted.

If the concern is suppression of illicit trading, well … at least only suppress actual objects/gold sending mails, and make the cutoff 4 mails not 2 so party members can share useful foods?