Main Cities

Main Cities

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Why do you suppose main cities, other than Lion’s arch and maybe divinities reach, are largely empty?

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Main Cities

Posted by: Tiberius.3802

Tiberius.3802

Because events are mostly based around there. Also, it’s where Fractals is at.

Main Cities

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

In all honesty, I don’t know. I played GW1 and every single city had at least 30 players in it every day. I guess Anet thought that adding more cities would be a good thing and would spread people evenly throughout every city, but people just gathered at LA instead. I’d really like to see more people in Divinity’s Reach, because I love that city a lot. I could care less about every other city.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Main Cities

cesmode.4257

People gather in LA, like Tiberius said, because a lot of the living story arcs and all of the holiday events take place, for the most part, in LA…or LA has some part in it.

Curious to hear what other think as well.

My question is: Why go through the trouble of creating other main cities only to completely ignore them and throw everyone into one city? Waste of Dev effort. Blizzard did the same thing when they made Stormwind/Org the main hubs. All other cities were abandoned. They realized this and admitted they screwed up.

Main Cities

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

People gather in LA, like Tiberius said, because a lot of the living story arcs and all of the holiday events take place, for the most part, in LA…or LA has some part in it.

My question is: Why go through the trouble of creating other main cities only to completely ignore them and throw everyone into one city? Waste of Dev effort. Blizzard did the same thing when they made Stormwind/Org the main hubs. All other cities were abandoned. They realized this and admitted they screwed up.

Yet there are still more people in the unpopular WoW cities than in the unpopular GW2 cities.

Making Stormwind/Orgrimmar the main cities was smart of them though. Those two cities were large and had everything you could ever need. I’m guessing Blizzard did it because there weren’t enough people to spread into all cities so they made those two cities. I’m guessing that’s the reason for Anet too, because they don’t have enough people to spread throughout all cities. Why Anet made LA the main city though, I will never know. It’s smaller than a lot of the other cities, which makes no sense at all.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Main Cities

Posted by: Tiberius.3802

Tiberius.3802

Anet can amend the problem if they do what they did to Rata Sum during April – make an event/dungeon in each city that will attract players.

As of now, as cesmode stated, it’s a waste of Dev effort.

Main Cities

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

i think because all the other cities are too confusing.
also they don’t have mystic forge.
in divinity’s reach to run from trading post to crafting station you also have to go down a layer. the blac citadel for me is the ugliest place ever created in an mmo.
LA, the grove, fields of ruin ebonhawk vanguard outpost and wvwvw home borderlands, are better suited for crafting and selling, i use to go to do all my stuff in fields of ruin also because the loading time is shorter, while in LA take ages, and i rarely use the mystic troll.
but overall LA is the best place to be and people all gather around the bank and the mystic forge so it’s also easy to spot someone you know and inviting people to group

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Main Cities

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

Travel to Lion’s Arch is free. Travel to other cities is only free if you go to LA first, and that one has all the services available in the other areas, so there aren’t many reasons to endure one more loading screen.

Travel to our character’s starting city should be free, and direct (unlike the detour we need to take in order to go to Lion’s Arch for free).

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Main Cities

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Things Lion’s Arch has that no other city has:

Portal hub to all major cities
Fractals entrance
Portals to WvW
Mystic Forge
Dungeon token vendors
3 jumping puzzles
Portal to Southsun Cove
Ship to Labyrinthe Cliffs

But it looks like August will be bringing content to Divinity’s Reach. Keep your eye on that tent!

http://imgur.com/a/51P7D#0

Main Cities

Posted by: Fixy.6193

Fixy.6193

No Mystic Forge so people go to LA because they use to have easy access to everything.
Often when I decide to get to the nearest city I end up having to go back to LA because of the forge and it cost me more money(even if not much) unless I’m willing to fight through loading screens…

There’s fractal too… Having dungeon in each city would help. As pointed out SAB gave real life to Rata Sum and it was great.

And WvW asura gates too… So most people coming out of wvw end up there too.

Anyway looks like there’s hope for Divinity’s Reach in the next Living Story.

Main Cities

cesmode.4257

Yet there are still more people in the unpopular WoW cities than in the unpopular GW2 cities.

Making Stormwind/Orgrimmar the main cities was smart of them though. Those two cities were large and had everything you could ever need. I’m guessing Blizzard did it because there weren’t enough people to spread into all cities so they made those two cities. I’m guessing that’s the reason for Anet too, because they don’t have enough people to spread throughout all cities. Why Anet made LA the main city though, I will never know. It’s smaller than a lot of the other cities, which makes no sense at all.

I disagree with all of that, unfortunately. I think WoW servers had something like 5k+ people for each faction. For two expansions, the populations were spread across all cities pretty decently. Stormwind, Ironforge…not bad. If Arenanet thought the same, then why design the other cities at all?

Main Cities

cesmode.4257

i think because all the other cities are too confusing.
also they don’t have mystic forge.
in divinity’s reach to run from trading post to crafting station you also have to go down a layer. the blac citadel for me is the ugliest place ever created in an mmo.
LA, the grove, fields of ruin ebonhawk vanguard outpost and wvwvw home borderlands, are better suited for crafting and selling, i use to go to do all my stuff in fields of ruin also because the loading time is shorter, while in LA take ages, and i rarely use the mystic troll.
but overall LA is the best place to be and people all gather around the bank and the mystic forge so it’s also easy to spot someone you know and inviting people to group

Good points..actually.

Main Cities

cesmode.4257

You guys make good points…LA has it all. But again I ask the question, why develop the other cities at all? Why develop them at all when you will have a different city with everything the player needs plus more, and then over the course of the year make this city the pinnacle of content.

The only reason I can see that arenanet developed other cities is to give low level players a place to go. Thats about it.

Main Cities

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

LA is the HUB of the world is pretty much the answer….

You leave WVW where are you sent to?
You leave sPvP where are you sent to?
Where do you start Fractals and end up afterwards?
What city is the most centre based of the world map?

You want a free teleport to a town what do you do? You go to sPvP to get a free teleport to a bank/shops etc which happens to be in LA.

Perhaps if they allowed all of us a free teleport at anytime to OUR personal starting towns that could be 1 small step into people going back to other cities. I know as a human Main I would use Divinty Reach over LA anytime for banking etc if I had a free teleport there. :P

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Main Cities

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

You guys make good points…LA has it all. But again I ask the question, why develop the other cities at all? Why develop them at all when you will have a different city with everything the player needs plus more, and then over the course of the year make this city the pinnacle of content.

The only reason I can see that arenanet developed other cities is to give low level players a place to go. Thats about it.

Well that’s the original reason they exist of course as a starting place for new players. But they had also intended for mini games to be spread around throughout all the different cities. They had also intended for some sort of a player house or some such bonuses with our “home instances” that never happened either. However you can see they are FINALLY starting to do that now what with the new crystal node there.

Have patience I’m sure in time you will have the answers you seek, they have just got a little……….. uhhh “sidetracked” is all lol. :P

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Main Cities

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Habits of a server’s population maybe? Lions Arch is obviously the hub and where many people go to just hang out but I usually see a number of people in Hoelbrak, the Grove, and Black Citadel crafting, banking etc. Not a lot of people but some. Even the occasional map chat. Plus they’re quieter. Possibly on other servers the general population have the idea to congregate more in LA than elsewhere.

I’ve spent more time akitten game today then I’ve spent in Rata Sum since starting the game. Too angular, don’t like it.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

(edited by zenleto.6179)

Main Cities

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

There’s always a fair number of players around the TP/Bank/Gate to LA in Divinity’s Reach. Can’t say the same for The Grove, Rata Sum, Black Citadel or Hoelbrak. Little reason to stay there after zone completion other than being the closest location of a TP, bank or crafting area from where you are at the moment.

I’m guessing Divinity’s Reach still has some players about because humans are a popular race selection.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Main Cities

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

LA has free transport to it (through the Mists), and is central (lower waypoint costs to whereever you want to go). Other cities have no free transport to them (unless you want to go through the Mists→Asura Gates→city, and they are not central (about 5s fee to go from Ratta Sum to CoF).

Remove waypoint fees to all cities. Perhaps even reduce all waypoint fees when you are waypointing from a city.

Main Cities

Posted by: Pravda.7641

Pravda.7641

Other than LA I only see people in Divinitys Reach. Mostly RPing. But that’s really only the TC server. The Grove is always empty when I go, and so is the Black Citadel. I might see the occasional few people in Hoelbrak.

Makes me sad. I love all the cities, and I like The Grove a lot but no real reason to go there.

Main Cities

Posted by: Pendragon.8735

Pendragon.8735

It’s not like it would be hard to put a mystic forge and more portals to other cities, WvW, etc, in the other main cities.

But most of all, yes you need attractions. Dungeons, or things to do that no other cities have.

I think putting the crystal mining node in your home instance was probably an attempt to get people spread back out, but not sure how many care about it if they aren’t crafting with it. And you can just keep an alt to do something like that.

Needs to be a reason for your main characters to go there.

Main Cities

Behellagh.1468

I park my Norn in The Grove because I find the Crafting/TP/Bank distances reasonably short. Some prefer Rata Sum for that but in The Grove all crafting is in one area while Rata Sum has is divided in 3 different directions.

RIP City of Heroes

Main Cities

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

August Living Story will take place in Divinity’s Reach. It will be great if they rotate the Living Story around the main cities, LA will always have people anyway, for other reasons.

Main Cities

Posted by: Saelune.5316

Saelune.5316

LA is the hub city of the game, since it is neutral to all races. Rata Sum is the Asuran city, so its more for the Asuran players, Divinity’s Reach is focused on the humans, and its for human players, and Black Citidel for Charr, etc. Why do we need to spread out among the cities anyways? Its good to have a one stop shop so to speak. In the real world, the biggest cities are usually culturally diverse.

Main Cities

Behellagh.1468

LA is the hub city of the game, since it is neutral to all races.

That implies that other races aren’t welcome in a race’s home city, which is untrue. My Norn explored Black Citadel long before she set foot in Hoelbrek. I didn’t see a lot of players there, including Charr. It’s just I see a greater diversity of race as well as number of players in Divinity’s Reach than the other home cities.

RIP City of Heroes

Main Cities

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

It may not seem like that to you and lots of other people, but this game does have a bit of a lore background to it.
Not just to show us lots of pretty pixel to break up the farming grind, but to actually give us a reason to, you know, play the game.
At least I think that was the initial plan.

But the abandonment of pretty much any meaningful city content and the headshot the home instance idea suffered on launch, actually enforces your and all the other “story-ignorers” standpoint.

As does ANet´s genius idea to base virtually every temporary content injection of the last 9 months soley in L.A.

Polish > hype

Main Cities

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

It may not seem like that to you and lots of other people, but this game does have a bit of a lore background to it.
Not just to show us lots of pretty pixel to break up the farming grind, but to actually give us a reason to, you know, play the game.
At least I think that was the initial plan.

But the abandonment of pretty much any meaningful city content and the headshot the home instance idea suffered on launch, actually enforces your and all the other “story-ignorers” standpoint.

As does ANet´s genius idea to base virtually every temporary content injection of the last 9 months soley in L.A.

To expand on this a bit they could easily set up Living Stories around the races that are started in the other cities. Find or helping the second Tree, for instance, could start in the Grove rather than LA. Or any story lines involving the lost animal Spirits of the Norn would obviously be centred in Hoelbrak. Visiting the shrine there of the three lost Spirits makes me think that at least one of them isn’t dead. Ideas for the future that would breath some life into the other cities for a while.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Main Cities

Posted by: Zenguy.6421

Zenguy.6421

Why do you suppose main cities, other than Lion’s arch and maybe divinities reach, are largely empty?

Because:

1. All gates lead to LA
  2. Travel to LA is free

It’s a design decision, and it makes LA look busy (so at least one city does).

Main Cities

Posted by: Piecekeeper.4361

Piecekeeper.4361

I think they just need to add gates to all the cities in all of the cities, or at least a mystic forge. For the longest time, I still went to the Grove for all my needs, because it’s my favorite, but I did eventually just get tired of it.

Main Cities

Posted by: Mada.5319

Mada.5319

I prefer having just one hub where the whole server can hang out together, instead of everyone spread out all over the place…..

Main Cities

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

If they give portal hubs and mystic forges to capital cities, they will probably get more traffic.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast