Maintanence

Maintanence

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Shyhalu.4891

Shyhalu.4891

Anyone know what the downtime is for? Is there patch notes somewhere?

Thank you,
Noob

Maintanence

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

Could be just that, maintenance, nothing to do with patching, just maintenance where servers are needing to be brought down in order to do it.

Maintanence

Shyhalu.4891

Was just curious, since Tuesday (although it would barely be Tuesday) is usually patch day.

Maintanence

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Patches are every 2 weeks and are downloaded instantly just by relogging. The next patch will be on November 12th.

Maintenance is something else altogether, this will be the 4th time since the game launched that they’ve taken the servers down iirc. I guess it’s possible they could throw a hotfix in there but more likely it’s some optimization on their end or simply standard maintenance.

Maintanence

Shyhalu.4891

I guess it’s just a little weird that they didn’t say anything as to why they’re bringing the server down, besides maintenance.

Maintanence

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Not really, that’s all they ever say when they are doing maintenance. The last one was back in August.

Maintanence

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Maybe they are giving everyone a free legendary and they want to make sure all the servers are ready for all the weapon effect spamming that will occur in LA.

The Burninator

Maintanence

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

They mentioned recently that they are getting ready to push out some major server optimizations that should greatly improve performance. I suspect this is the beginning of that.

Maintanence

Shyhalu.4891

Well that sounds good then :>

Maintanence

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

about why the servers are going down?

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

Maintanence

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

No clues but it has already been asked.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Maintanence/

The Burninator

Maintanence

eisberg.2379

They are going down for 2 hours for maintenance.

Maintanence

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

it’s actually scarlet planning a DDoS attack on the servers

living story , real life

Maintanence

eisberg.2379

it’s actually scarlet planning a DDoS attack on the servers

living story , real life

I told them using the AI programming from Skynet was a bad idea…. but did Arenanet listen? Noooooooo

Maintanence

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’m thinking it’s to try to stabilize things and see if it helps some of the people who have been crashing lately. It’s not happening to everyone, but I think there’s been an increase from posts I’ve seen.

Maintanence

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

In game message is saying they will notify us when it’s over. I wonder how exactly? Via here or email us all? :S

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Maintanence

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

Funny, I just watched the GDC presentation last night where a certain developer bragged about how they don’t ever have to take the system down….

So I watch a movie with my son, knowing I can do my dailies after.. and .. right during PDT prime time? How is that for crap timing.

Maintanence

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

BTW.. I know, it’s always crap timing for someone

Maintanence

Paulytnz.7619

Funny, I just watched the GDC presentation last night where a certain developer bragged about how they don’t ever have to take the system down….

So I watch a movie with my son, knowing I can do my dailies after.. and .. right during PDT prime time? How is that for crap timing.

Times like this that magical word “Irony” either makes one laugh or come back to bite them in the backside lol. Right now I’m the one semi laughing and I guess if whoever said that comment that you were talking about knew of this maintenance or cared enough to think about it may be regretting what was said especially due to the timing of todays maintenance.

Maintanence

Posted by: Cathgar.7581

Cathgar.7581

Stating 3 Hours downtime for maintenance through in game bulletin message.

Maintanence

Paulytnz.7619

Yes and that they will contact us somehow afterwards when it’s done……..

Maintanence

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

I imagine it’s just downtime and optimizations as people have said. Don’t fuss, take a poop, eat some pickles and watch Pokemon. All will be well again soon my dear children.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

Maintanence

Posted by: Skan.5301

Skan.5301

Since people visit the forums, that’s how we’ll be contacted. That nice red bar at the top will keep us updated. Don’t worry.

Those who don’t visit the forums every so often might be stuck having to load the client a few times every hour to check.

Very, very efficient method, right?

“Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.”
– Euripides

Maintanence

Posted by: CryxTryx.9208

CryxTryx.9208

The in game message said this was unscheduled maintenance. There is nothing standard about it. Either something broke, or they are hot-fixing an exploit.

Maintanence

Posted by: Captain Snowflake.6450

Captain Snowflake.6450

Well, I guess this gives me a reason to do my homework now…

Maintanence

Posted by: Flash.6912

Flash.6912

what to do for 2 hours ….

R.I.P Kumu <3

Maintanence

Posted by: TimH.1379

TimH.1379

first day downloading the game, then start character creation and… BAM … maintenance. never fails

Maintanence

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Aww I just got home from work

Maintanence

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

In game they said the maintenance was “unexpected” and would last for 3 hours. That was about 25 minutes ago as of this post.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Maintanence

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

what to do for 2 hours ….

watch Spartacus or even Ben Hur . By the time you’re done with that it’ll be done .

Maintanence

Paulytnz.7619

Since people visit the forums, that’s how we’ll be contacted. That nice red bar at the top will keep us updated. Don’t worry.

Those who don’t visit the forums every so often might be stuck having to load the client a few times every hour to check.

They said in game they will contact us when it’s over. I don’t think at all that means they will update the client log in screen with a message to say “hey it’s over now” for those that do not access these forums.

Hey I’m not worried about it I had only planned to log in, do my daily then log out and play some Civ5 anyways. I was just curious about that message.

When someone says “we will let you know/contact you” (not 100% on the exact wording now but very similar" it means that, not “watch this space”.

I can imagine some people taking it serious and or wrong and worried they may phone them up all something lol, but I’m not one. Just curious like I said. :P

Maintanence

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

They’re going to contact us hmm? Maybe they will ring my doorbell and let me know. Guess I should vacuum the living room and make some cake and coffee, just in case.

Maintanence

Posted by: Lillith.5724

Lillith.5724

Most likely it’s because of the change in DST. I seem to recall them doing something similiar back in March when the time changes.

Lillith Flame – Norn Ranger
Guild Leader: Spank Reunited
Yak’s Bend Server

Maintanence

Posted by: leprekan.7248

leprekan.7248

They heard somewhere a precursor dropped in open world loot and had to investigate why.

A Yak since headstart. [herm]

Maintanence

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

They might be installing more CPUs so that they can double the number of players in each WvW map. It’s not a true zerg unless you have 150+ vs 150+ vs 150+.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Maintanence

Posted by: Skan.5301

Skan.5301

They said in game they will contact us when it’s over. I don’t think at all that means they will update the client log in screen with a message to say “hey it’s over now” for those that do not access these forums.

Hey I’m not worried about it I had only planned to log in, do my daily then log out and play some Civ5 anyways. I was just curious about that message.

When someone says “we will let you know/contact you” (not 100% on the exact wording now but very similar" it means that, not “watch this space”.

I can imagine some people taking it serious and or wrong and worried they may phone them up all something lol, but I’m not one. Just curious like I said. :P

lol

I don’t care either way as I don’t play. I was just saying that’s probably how they’ll do it. I doubt they’ll email everyone. So the next logical step would be either the client or the forums. Maybe both. Who knows.

I lol’d pretty hard at them calling people and then I thought coming in person. Just amusing thoughts.

“Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.”
– Euripides

Maintanence

Posted by: phil.1870

phil.1870

Slight panic when I couldn’t log in. I frantically searched the forums for an answer in game bugs and technical issues. and then I decided to look at the right side of the screen and saw the maintenance announcement… that total noob feeling has now passed and I’ll go and watch a movie

Nodferatu….QT

Maintanence

Posted by: Havvy.4897

Havvy.4897

Always expect things to fail around DST changes and New Years. Off by one errors and edge cases in something as complicated as dates easily causes strange errors that need maintenance fixes. I’m thinking this happened to Anet this year.

Maintanence

Posted by: chris.7053

chris.7053

on Twitter they said they were going down for an unplanned maintenance

Maintanence

Posted by: James Moriarty.5832

James Moriarty.5832

So much for the two hour maintanence window and keeping us informed. Two and half hour and counting.

Maintanence

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

So much for the two hour maintanence window and keeping us informed. Two and half hour and counting.

The announcement in game said 3 hours. If you go by that they still have a 25 minute window.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Maintanence

Posted by: LordArrgh.8073

LordArrgh.8073

from their twitter … Guild Wars 2 ?@GuildWars2 3h

We will bring the servers down for maintenance in 10 minutes. Estimated downtime will be 2 hours. Thank you for your patience.

that was 3 hours ago … :| cant do mah dailies

Maintanence

Posted by: Tamaki Revolution.3548

Tamaki Revolution.3548

from their twitter … Guild Wars 2 ?@GuildWars2 3h

We will bring the servers down for maintenance in 10 minutes. Estimated downtime will be 2 hours. Thank you for your patience.

that was 3 hours ago … :| cant do mah dailies

In game it said 3 hours, 12 minutes left on that.

Maintanence

LordArrgh.8073

so in game they tell everyone 3 hours but every where else they say 2 hours …

Maintanence

Posted by: Mian.1945

Mian.1945

Perspective on life?

Most games have daily or weekly maintenance and we’re worried about 25 minutes a couple of times a year?

ArenaNet has the most reliable server architecture in the MMO space by a long shot. I wish half the MMOs I played had anything close to GW2’s downtime reliability.

Maintanence

Tamaki Revolution.3548

so in game they tell everyone 3 hours but every where else they say 2 hours …

I hate/don’t use twitter, so I don’t count that as everywhere else :P

Maintanence

LordArrgh.8073

even says in on the main fourm page .. 2 hour downtime keep you informed …and currently over 3 hours no updates and not up ..

Maintanence

Tamaki Revolution.3548

Ah, I missed that. I only knew of the down time because of the forums and in game. I’m horrible at finding information for the game on the actual website for some reason. Still, an extra hour that’s over in 3 minutes.

I remember in CoH there was a weekly scheduled down time. It never failed, for every single one there was a rage thread. (This isn’t a rage thread, but I still always found those funny).

Maintanence

LordArrgh.8073

I don’t mind the down so much but an update would be nice …hey we’ve run into a random Cthulhu boss so servers are going to be down an extra hour …something like that

Maintanence

Tamaki Revolution.3548

They’re up now. I just think they posted the wrong amount of time, in game it clearly stated 3 hours, so it wasn’t a surprise extra hour :P

Of course the market is down, which is the only reason I wanted back on, lol.