Make Ascended Gear usable for Alt Leveling

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Highchu.3806

Highchu.3806

One of the things I hate most about leveling Alts (besides the new trait system) is the search for decent gear. Most players that have already reach 80 before don’t want to do it all over again starting from scratch. Why not allow those of us that have invested the time and gold into making Ascended/Legendary gear usable for leveling our alts. It would add more value and encourage Ascended crafting. Given the high price and minor stat boost between Exotic vs. Ascended the only real reason to invest in making it would be to either look cool or run high level fractals which seemingly not very many do. It could even help close the level gap from (80s only) dungeons and allow lower level players to function at equal/near equal effectiveness if its scaled correctly.

My idea is that it would be scaled down to Rare/Exotic quality gear for gear of that level. Additional attributes will also become available as you continue to level up like:

Ascended Berserker Gear
Lvl 1-20 (Power)
Lvl 21-55 (Power/Precision)
Lvl 56-80 (Power/Precision/Ferocity)

The only issue I can think of would be how Runes/Sigils would scale and stack. At least for me I never bothered putting on any until lvl 39 for Major components which still didn’t seem like it made a big difference.

Posted by: Arzo.8671

Arzo.8671

One of the things I really liked about WoW was the inclusion of heirloom items to assist in leveling alts. Not sure if ascended are the way to go but I’ve love for them to implement something like that here.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

If you can’t survive in greens while levelling buy rares then exotics they cost about 10 silver. If you can’t survive in those you won’t survive in ascended.

Posted by: Elothar.4382

Elothar.4382

I am sure that each of us has our own particular gearing strategy for leveling. I have leveled 10 characters to 80…at least one of each profession.

My strategy is pretty constant. I craft master (green) gear every 15 levels (20, 35, 50, and 65)…everything from weapons to armor to accessories. They do just fine with that. My only problem was with my elementalist and, to be fair, I am a lousy elementalist player.

There are other ways to be sure…getting karma gear or even buying gear from the TP but, at least for me, the current system seems to work okay.

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

errr… leveling difficulty is dependent on the profession.

I am leveling a guard and holy crap its like day and night in comparison to my mesmer.

you dont need ascended gear. Maybe, anet should change their trait policy.

elotkittent beat yourself up. I heard ele is one of the harder classes to level

Posted by: Highchu.3806

Highchu.3806

The main purpose is to just have scaling armor in order to reduce/eliminate the need to constantly search for and replace armor while leveling. While it doesn’t necessarily need to be Ascended, having something along the lines of WoW Heirlooms would be beneficial. The normal strategy of using karma/crafted gear works its just troublesome and costly having to constantly swap things out.

Posted by: Kartel.2561

Kartel.2561

I wish they had kept it like in GW1, where any character could use any item at any level ..you just wouldn’t get its full power until you leveled up enough to meet the required attributes. (On another note, levels and gear stats should be abolished anyway).

Obviously GW2 doesn’t have the same Attribute system as GW1. Instead of items requiring a certain attribute, now we have them requiring a certain level instead. But the effect could still be similar. Let you still equip it, just put a limit blocking its full potential until you do meet the required level. Seems the down-level system could be adapted for this purpose. Go ahead and equip the gear, and it just scales it down to whatever is appropriate.

Guild: Everlasting Sacred Path [ESP]
Server: Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

One of the things I hate most about leveling Alts (besides the new trait system) is the search for decent gear. Most players that have already reach 80 before don’t want to do it all over again starting from scratch. Why not allow those of us that have invested the time and gold into making Ascended/Legendary gear usable for leveling our alts. It would add more value and encourage Ascended crafting. Given the high price and minor stat boost between Exotic vs. Ascended the only real reason to invest in making it would be to either look cool or run high level fractals which seemingly not very many do. It could even help close the level gap from (80s only) dungeons and allow lower level players to function at equal/near equal effectiveness if its scaled correctly.

My idea is that it would be scaled down to Rare/Exotic quality gear for gear of that level. Additional attributes will also become available as you continue to level up like:

Ascended Berserker Gear
Lvl 1-20 (Power)
Lvl 21-55 (Power/Precision)
Lvl 56-80 (Power/Precision/Ferocity)

The only issue I can think of would be how Runes/Sigils would scale and stack. At least for me I never bothered putting on any until lvl 39 for Major components which still didn’t seem like it made a big difference.

This makes me LOL – I guess you just want to faceroll things w/o having to work for it.

I think the answer is obvious – NO!

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Leveling is face-roll easy enough without having best-in-slot. I run around in underleveled blues and greens on the way to 80 and have no issues whatsoever.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

Out of all the things that should/could be brought in to make alt leveling easier. I don’t think this is it.

Posted by: Turgut.4397

Turgut.4397

Greens are good enough. I usually gear up every 10 levels for dirt cheap and it works fine (never get rares for levelling, not worth the price).

The idea is good, but I personally don’t think it’s worth the hassle. So you hit 500 in a profession after spending an obscene amount of gold, then you make the gear. Transfer it to your alt (granted the alt can wear the armour), then when you want it back on your main, transfer back etc etc.

They could add something similar to heirlooms in WoW, but that probably isn’t needed either.

Still waiting for the things I love about GW1.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

They would only do something like OP’s suggestion if leveling was so difficult for most people that something needed to be done. Even then they are much more likely to rework traits so people can trait earlier/easier. Since people can level just fine with masterwork gear, then the likelihood of them completely reworking ascended gear for this is around zero.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

You honestly should have no problem leveling up in this game in full greens. You don’t need to search for gear in this game at all. You can TP green gear for your level or craft it.

If you honestly need stronger gear than that to succeed in GW2’s PvE then you may want to re-evaluate your playing abilities.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Lmfao.

This is one of the worst ideas I’ve read on the forums in ages.

Posted by: William Bradley Knight.2609

William Bradley Knight.2609

One of the fun aspects of leveling alts is wearing the gear that I find. If I ever start to fall behind, I can just get a piece or two from a karma merchant. The last alt I leveled is still in greens with rare shoes that I got as a drop. Last time I was leveling an ele I felt a bit fragile, but that is because eles are a bit fragile. :-)

I’d recommend just keep working on improving your play. Players who are good (which does not include me) could probably level all the way to 80 completely naked just via positioning and dodging. Anybody tried this? ;-)

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

When you say “leveling an alt,” do you mean playing the game with an additional character in a reasonable way, or do you mean “This is my 8th character and I want to power-level to 80 as fast as possible”?

Gear drops quite often, and you can get it from heart vendors as well. Or if you craft as you level, you will be rolling in excellent gear the whole time. If you aren’t crafting because you already leveled the respective discipline on another character, then have that character make the gear for your alt. Or, failing that, there is always gear on the trading post. And isn’t there a vendor in WvW who always sells level-appropriate gear?

Making Ascended gear is a huge grind. People will want to play alt characters WAY before they ever make their first Ascended piece. Also, I don’t see why people who have made Ascended gear should have an easier time with alts than the rest of us.

One of the things I really liked about WoW was the inclusion of heirloom items to assist in leveling alts. Not sure if ascended are the way to go but I’ve love for them to implement something like that here.

WoW basically needed to have something like that, as an incentive to get people to slog through the leveling process again. WoW’s leveling is nothing like GW2’s. To get any gear at all, it’s either the auction house or quest rewards. Gear does not drop from enemies, the way it does in GW2. Crafting does not give you XP, nor does it even result in a steady flow of viable gear for your character. And in general, leveling in WoW is way slower than in GW2 — and GW2 even has XP boosters, account-wide XP buffs, and the bonuses from WvW.