Make Movement Great Again 2016

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: CrusaderMichael.9245

CrusaderMichael.9245

Well, by great again, I guess I really mean, great for the first time.

Yes for some people they must love running past some worthless enemy and PECK, oops it touched you, time to run slow for 10 seconds.

So fun running slow for such a thing you know.

But for the rest of us, it’s just REALLY annoying.

If I want to run at top speed through an enemy let me do so.

If you want me to take extra damage because I hit a key to exit slow combat movement when it occurs, sounds good to me.

But PECK, oops, slow mode ensuing… let’s go slow just because a game detected damage aggro on me, is unrealistic movement times 10.

Or as Vegeta would say, horrible movement in game times 9000.

Please make movement not be so unrealistically annoying.

Every, single, time, i, play.

“Run for your lives”…. “Sorry sir, can’t, the zombie punched my arm a few seconds ago, I’m unable to run fast”.

Oh how glad I am this never happens in real life when I’m running from zombies.

Make Movement Great Again 2016. As in before you ANET people added slow move to your beta.

We players don’t even have to pay for it. We’ll get ANET to do it for free.

Posted by: Imbune.5497

Imbune.5497

I thought you were going to say they should have some kind of traversal system in play like focus running in 9Dragons or gliding in Blade and Soul….those were fun. I’ll settle with removing combat slowdown though….why is it even necessary in the first place? It’s not like cast times or cooldowns are slowed to give players more opportunities to d……

It’s because of pvp isn’kitten

I was thinking in pve, but if people were running around at the speed of out of combat swiftness then getting your strikes and aoes to land might be challenging. Well if pvp is the reason then leave it to pvp and remove combat slow from pve then. Everybody wins.

When free speech ends, tyranny begins.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their proper name.

Posted by: NotOverlyCheesy.9427

NotOverlyCheesy.9427

Another one, another one, another one and another one

Posted by: Saul Rua.2739

Saul Rua.2739

I’d just like them to fix the movement bug. The one where you stop moving altogether and can only get out of it by using a movement skill ir dodging. It seems to be getting worse.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

In RL if a zombie punched my arm I’m pretty sure I’d run faster rather than slower.
Unless I had a chainsaw, of course…

Posted by: Nash.2681

Nash.2681

If you don’t want to get slowed down, don’t let the mobs hit you? the mechanic is there for a reason as others already told you.

Oh, and on a side note- mind to stop using those trumpesque topics? I mean, one D. Trump is more than enough….

XMG U716 (i7 6700, 16GB DDR4@2133Mhz, GTX980m, Samsung 850Evo 250 GB, Seagate SSHD 500GB)

Leader of “Servants of Balance” [SoB], a small guild endemic to the FSP.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

It’s an intended mechanic in the game and won’t be going away, sorry. Instead of running ‘through an enemy’, have you tried running around groups of mobs instead?

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

I’m totally okay with combat slowdown. If you want to dash through a group of enemies, use a shield, use stealth, use a teleport, use your head to avoid the fight in the first place.

If you want me to take extra damage because I hit a key to exit slow combat movement when it occurs, sounds good to me.

This wouldn’t fix anything. If I switch to non-combat speed, I can outrun a centaur, so I’m not going to be taking enough damage to make it a deterrent.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: Sir Mad.1092

Sir Mad.1092

Zoom in, you’ll feel like you’re running faster…

Now, Anet, can we please have that -1 button? :P

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

Zoom in, you’ll feel like you’re running faster…

Now, Anet, can we please have that -1 button? :P

This.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Why are you trying to avoid combat anyway? You’re meant to be a hero! Heroes don’t run from a fight!

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Lyp Sao.1375

Lyp Sao.1375

“Run for your lives”…. “Sorry sir, can’t, the zombie punched my arm a few seconds ago, I’m unable to run fast”.

Ruuuun

You are right, combat speed is really annoying.
While running I don’t fight – the kitten zombie wants to fight.
I have to catch the bus

Don’t fight the other ants
Fight the queens

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Us proper heroes are not running from a fight, we are running to a much bigger fight and sparing the lives of the poor, undernourished trash mobs who deserve a second chance. And their lootz am rubbish.

Besides, I can come back and kill them later because, for some unexplained reason, they will spend their entire lives just hanging around in that same spot. And when they are despatched their identical brothers will replace them a few minutes later. It’s a bit weird if I’m honest.

Anyway, how do I go about getting a chainsaw?

CMM.6712

This is a dodge issue, if you dodge before you get hit you don’t get slowed. Dodge practice is recommended.

Posted by: Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

I’m sorry but no one wants to run through the dame amount of mobs past the 50 times they alteady did it in they zone, intended mechanic or not what’s the fun and challenge in that?

Why not give people thr option to turn off downscale so they can just run past enemies?Some of us like to use the auto run or watch the map as we run its fun. But that might be to demanding if a change.

(edited by Ryou.2398)

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

Again with this title? You won’t get my vote with that kind of opening my friend.

Secondly I don’t really care.
It is a nice little extra effort to try and avoid enemies and run through the world without being hit.
Staying fast that way is kinda rewarding.

Turning down downscaling isn’t an option, because these players could possible interfere much more with lower level content, mostly in a trolling way.
Like insta kill events, etc.
So, yeah, not so good.

If you run by a certain mob for the 50th time and he still hits you, then you might want to change your means of traversing. There are enough skills, abilities and routes to take, that won’t slow you down.

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

This other game has mounts that lets you run or fly by stuff without getting hit.

Yes I know I’m about to get a postal beating for mentioning that. It’s a joke XP

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

CMM.6712

This other game has mounts that lets you run or fly by stuff without getting hit.

Yes I know I’m about to get a postal beating for mentioning that. It’s a joke XP

There was once this horse, and people didn’t like it, and well it’s a sad story but there is not much left of the horse now.

Dodge, use terrain to your advantage, glide. It is not that hard.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

You got it backwards.

You don’t get a movement penalty while in combat, you get a buff while out of combat.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Why are you trying to avoid combat anyway? You’re meant to be a hero! Heroes don’t run from a fight!

Real heroes know when to avoid a fight for the betterment of all.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

I thought you were going to say they should have some kind of traversal system in play like focus running in 9Dragons or gliding in Blade and Soul….those were fun. I’ll settle with removing combat slowdown though….why is it even necessary in the first place? It’s not like cast times or cooldowns are slowed to give players more opportunities to d……

I was thinking in pve, but if people were running around at the speed of out of combat swiftness then getting your strikes and aoes to land might be challenging. Well if pvp is the reason then leave it to pvp and remove combat slow from pve then. Everybody wins.

I think it has more to do with not allowing you to just endlessly dodge mob attacks in PvE by simply running away from them. If your speed wasn’t slowed down while in combat most if not all mob attacks wouldn’t be able to catch up and actually hit you. This forces you to actually enter combat or do something to get out of it

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I think it has more to do with not allowing you to just endlessly dodge mob attacks in PvE by simply running away from them. If your speed wasn’t slowed down while in combat most if not all mob attacks wouldn’t be able to catch up and actually hit you. This forces you to actually enter combat or do something to get out of it

…which leads enquiring minds to ponder: why not do away with the slow-down and make the mobs run proportionally faster?

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

That I cannot answer. But I suspect that it has something to do with giving players the chance to run away from combat they don’t want to engage in if they want to. If mobs could run at the same speed as you it would just be incredibly annoying to run from combat considering how far some mobs will chase you before losing interest.

Posted by: Annika.7084

Annika.7084

I’m sorry but no one wants to run through the dame amount of mobs past the 50 times they alteady did it in they zone, intended mechanic or not what’s the fun and challenge in that?

Why not give people thr option to turn off downscale so they can just run past enemies?Some of us like to use the auto run or watch the map as we run its fun. But that might be to demanding if a change.

I agree with you and the OP, it gets old, and it is old. It’s infact ancient and it’s there just because all other mmo’s have it. An option like you say to get where you wana go quick or choose to be a ‘proper hero’ would be the best.

As aggro and attack radius constantly getting bigger I’m sick of being slowed down to wheelchair speed (no it’s just not minus speedbuff, it’s slower than that) and not being able to dodge for example Mordrem Wolfs and their teeth that manage to bite you from 60 feet away….

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

That I cannot answer. But I suspect that it has something to do with giving players the chance to run away from combat they don’t want to engage in if they want to. If mobs could run at the same speed as you it would just be incredibly annoying to run from combat considering how far some mobs will chase you before losing interest.

That kind of contradicts what you said earlier..

I think it has more to do with not allowing you to just endlessly dodge mob attacks in PvE by simply running away from them.

Anyway, it doesn’t matter either way. It’s the way it is and probably will remain so.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Well, by great again, I guess I really mean, great for the first time.

Yes for some people they must love running past some worthless enemy and PECK, oops it touched you, time to run slow for 10 seconds.

So fun running slow for such a thing you know.

But for the rest of us, it’s just REALLY annoying.

If I want to run at top speed through an enemy let me do so.

But PECK, oops, slow mode ensuing… let’s go slow just because a game detected damage aggro on me, is unrealistic movement times 10.

Or as Vegeta would say, horrible movement in game times 9000.

Please make movement not be so unrealistically annoying.

Every, single, time, i, play.

Oh how glad I am this never happens in real life when I’m running from zombies.

Make Movement Great Again 2016. As in before you ANET people added slow move to your beta.

We players don’t even have to pay for it. We’ll get ANET to do it for free.

I honestly can’t see this point of view:

• We move at normal speed during combat.
  • We move faster out of combat.
  • Ergo, when I want to move fast, I avoid combat.

Seems to work just fine 90% of the time.

The movement speed during combat has to be scaled to the current AI and skill areas-of-effect. Even if they have some wiggle room, it’s likely that if they change things, it would be to slow down out-of-combat speed so that it’s closer to in-combat rates.

tl;dr Current system is probably the best compromise we can expect until there’s a GW3 and the coders can rethink the entire underlying structure of movement.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: CrusaderMichael.9245

CrusaderMichael.9245

Responses summed up:

1) I can dodge. I can Greatsword ranger fly past enemies. Etc. Though often you still get caught (skill cooldowns etc). But it will always feel unrealistic and wrong, to force me into slow down mode, as if my mind has been possessed by a Demon of Slowness, every time some stupid little monster pecks at my shin.

2) I’m glad to see others feel the same way about being forced to walk through invisible molasses.

3) I understand this is a game and games have rules. You won’t see me complaining about chess knights only moving in L shaped routes; however, GW2 should be emulating reality in such matters, not inventing turtle paced versions of reality to force me to take longer to just run past say, worthless monsters 99% of the time I’m not going to bother killing anyway.

4) ANET would have little problem implementing a “fix” in this regard. And as for the need to revamp AI etc as some of you mention, no, nothing would need to change that way as I’ll quickly explain below.

The concept of move fast = not as guarded. Guarded = move slower. Is a simple one.

Just increase damage taken when people chose to unguard speed/normal move through default “guard” situations, and be done with it all. No need to rethink the wheel AI wise etc.

The game doesn’t end when I pop stone signet and a stability skill. The monsters don’t go AI crazy and beg ANET for help because they can’t “slow me down”.

It’s all very simple.

1 philosophy says leave things alone cuz you like being turned into a turtle, and often.

1 philosophy says let me run fast if I want to run fast and damage me more if I override the “guarded” state.

Only 1 of those philosophies actually Makes Movement Great Again 2016.

And it aint the first philosophy.

I’d talk about why ANET made me able to outrun a centaur or a leopard, but, that’s just an odd thing I doubt they’ll fix (though, they should, and could easily).

#MonsterSpeedsNeedUpdating

Posted by: Greener.6204

Greener.6204

It’s all very simple.

1 philosophy says leave things alone cuz you like being turned into a turtle, and often.

1 philosophy says let me run fast if I want to run fast and damage me more if I override the “guarded” state.

Only 1 of those philosophies actually Makes Movement Great Again 2016.

And it aint the first philosophy.

An argument is invalid because it doesn’t agree with you? I’m not sure that’s the best way to have a healthy discussion of the topic.

Also, avoid misrepresenting other people’s arguments: Referring to it as " being turned into a turtle" doesn’t negate their point, it only shows your lack of understanding of their point, or your wish to push their point aside and not discuss it.

G R E E N E R

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

The slow down is supposed to make you stop and fight, but if you get hit by a mob your running past then I’d say you need to L2P. Dodge is there for a reason. Time to git gud.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Freedom of movement is one of the great features of combat, but the combat movement suppression completely ruins that feel. It’s simply not fun and should be changed. Also, with the plethora of movement imparing conditions it becomes overkill.

We also need a base move my speed of 25 at level 80.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Tell that to all the so-called “heroes” that run by your fight, not helping at all, just to get to a gathering node.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I don’t think the slow down is there to force us to fight. I think instead that combat movement speed is set to work well for the game’s combat mechanics and dynamics. And the game allows us to move a lot faster when out of combat.

Again, the most likely scenario if ANet were to change the difference between in-combat and out-of-combat would be to barely speed up the former and slow down the latter…a lot.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”