Make SteamOS version of GW2 plz

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kitt.2567

Kitt.2567

Recently I removed Windows and installed Valve’s FREE Gaming OS called SteamOS instead, and it is really great OS for gamer In terms of, Play Station-look-like user interface, OS built-in game app store, built-in messengers exclusively for gamers, built-in voice chat system, built-in recording and broadcast Streaming tool and etc. This gaming OS has just everything that ptofessional gamer are usually in need of.

Currently only games that looks nice here is just CSGO, Borderlands series and Dota 2. But they are shooter and moba game. There isn’t great MMO in SteamOS yet.

So plz make SteamOS version of GW2 so I can play thx. you guys will make a lot of profits from Steam users anyway.

SteamOS has not even released yet,(only be able to download beta version of it from some secret website that isn’t publicly announced) but now become like top 20 among many linux distros and its amount of population is still increasing. I played some 3D games on many linux distros, however, running on SteamOS was faster than other OS distro, such as Ubuntu and Linux Mint, By the framerate of 5~10 points. idk why SteamOS is faster than them in 3D performance though. Btw, It is guaranteed that SteamOS will become Top #1 linux distro shortly after its official launch later with Steam Machine in the future.

About SteamOS’s gaming performance, check follwing comprarision by framerate video.

Windows 10 (DirectX 12) VS SteamOS: http://youtu.be/DjgNVGn-tRc

Visit “http://www.twitch.tv/the_korean_gamer/profile” for best warrior builds!

(edited by Kitt.2567)

Posted by: Drow.2081

Drow.2081

No corp can deal with Steam without them trying to take over. Steam is a monopoly with greedy selfish business practices.

I also post on guildwars2guru.

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

No corp can deal with Steam without them trying to take over. Steam is a monopoly with greedy selfish business practices.

take over?

Posted by: Raire.7983

Raire.7983

Did somebody from EA tell you that?

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

SteamOS has not even released yet,(only be able to download beta version of it from some secret website that isn’t publicly announced) but now become like top 20 among many linux distros and its amount of population is still increasing.

I’m skeptical that SteamOS, or Linux in general, would be a highly profitable market to port GW2 to. Linux has a whole only has about a 1.34% market share, and I’d say (completely anecdotally) that a not-insignificant amount of those users run some form of Windows on the side, especially if they’re gamers. SteamOS will definitely encourages some growth of Linux-based gaming, but “only able to download beta from some secret website” isn’t exactly a firm foundation at the moment.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Kitt.2567

SteamOS has not even released yet,(only be able to download beta version of it from some secret website that isn’t publicly announced) but now become like top 20 among many linux distros and its amount of population is still increasing.

I’m skeptical that SteamOS, or Linux in general, would be a highly profitable market to port GW2 to. Linux has a whole only has about a 1.34% market share, and I’d say (completely anecdotally) that a not-insignificant amount of those users run some form of Windows on the side, especially if they’re gamers. SteamOS will definitely encourages some growth of Linux-based gaming, but “only able to download beta from some secret website” isn’t exactly a firm foundation at the moment.

Android is also another linux distro for just ARM cpu(not x86 but actually there is x86 version of Android as well that can be run on desktop PC), so it becomes
47.06% (mobile) + 1.34% (desktop) = around 48.40%
In fact, around 48.40% of all the people in the world use Linux actually. you just don;t realize it lol

I mean, SteamOS is based on linux as well, so it has a lot of probability. it just needs some killer games.

(edited by Kitt.2567)

Posted by: Veydar.5017

Veydar.5017

Android is also another linux distro for just arm cpu, so it becomes
In fact, around 48.40% of all the people in the world use Linux actually. you just don;t realize it lol

How is that even remotely relevant? We’re talking about an MMORPG, I don’t see how quoting statistics from the mobile device market has any meaning to this discussion. It’s a computer game and therefore we should stick to the operating systems available for computers. In that regard, Linux’ market share is tiny especially considering gamers.

inb4 someone quotes server OS market shares

Posted by: John.8507

John.8507

GW1 is on steam, so maybe see the game available on Steam one day, but I doubt there would be an actual steamos version.

Redenaz.8631

Android is also another linux distro for just ARM cpu(not x86 but actually there is x86 version of Android as well that can be run on desktop PC), so it becomes

I mean, SteamOS is based on linux as well, so it has a lot of probability. it just needs some killer games.

Unless you’re suggesting they make GW2 run on phones/tablets, that 47% isn’t relevant. And I don’t mean niche gaming tablets, either, but the low-to-high range of devices that actually makes up that 47%.

It doesn’t matter if 48% of the market uses some form of Linux, but 47% of those are devices wildly unsuited to running GW2.

(I’m not even going to question you adding percentages like that if I can avoid it.)

Posted by: Silalus.8760

Silalus.8760

SteamOS is just a Linux distro with a beautified interface that quasi requires you to use the Steam ecosystem.

Literally that’s it. That’s all it is.

It’s kinda like Google’s Android- except without even the achievement of getting linux to run on new and different hardware. It runs on the same stuff every other distro runs on.

In fact, it’s mostly just Debian. It’s literally almost all the exact same software,.

Except that Steam get’s to rip 15% of the money out of developer’s pockets, because Steam. And gets to tie in their draconian DRM methods, because Steam.

Yay Steam. Gee, I sure hope their OS really takes off, so they can make more money and make the PC gaming world even more homogeneous, DRM-bound, and boring.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

I don’t know where this comes from but you need to look up the word monopoly, I think. Being successful or the biggest is not the same as having a monopoly.

As for their “greedy selfish business practices” are you sure they’re not just “business practices”? From what I’ve seen they’re much the same or better than most other online game shops.

Pifil.5193

“Rip 15%” Do you think that game stores shouldn’t make profits on sale? How much do you think EA or Ubisoft or Apple or Microsoft or GoG take?

Posted by: Silalus.8760

Silalus.8760

“Rip 15%” Do you think that game stores shouldn’t make profits on sale? How much do you think EA or Ubisoft or Apple or Microsoft or GoG take?

Apple is just as bad or worse. That doesn’t make Steam better, it just means they’re one of several well marketed parasites instead of being the only one.

The important thing here is that Steam is doing something really disgusting with SteamOS. They’re layering a very light layer of customization on top of other people’s work, with essentially zero innovation, and just leveraging it along with their brand to make enormous amounts of money off of yet other people’s work.They are contributing almost nothing of their own to any aspect of the product, either the OS or the games themselves.

They are a marketing engine and a DRM engine. They might have less awful DRM and be more reliable than EA (true), and they might be less controlling of the market than Apple (also true), but at least EA and Apple actually create things of some kind of their own.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

SteamOS is linux-based.

If they were to make a version that works on it they may as well make a full linux version that works on all linux-based operating systems.

But I doubt the market is big enough for any of that yet.

GW1 is on steam, so maybe see the game available on Steam one day, but I doubt there would be an actual steamos version.

It’ll probably never happen. Steam has several policies that many MMO developers won’t accept. For example, I believe it requires that any ‘cash shop currency’ used in the game is made purchaseable only through steam when the game is run from the Steam client, and that they’ll get a cut from those purchases.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Pifil.5193

Apple is just as bad or worse. That doesn’t make Steam better, it just means they’re one of several well marketed parasites instead of being the only one.

The important thing here is that Steam is doing something really disgusting with SteamOS. They’re layering a very light layer of customization on top of other people’s work, with essentially zero innovation, and just leveraging it along with their brand to make enormous amounts of money off of yet other people’s work.They are contributing almost nothing of their own to any aspect of the product, either the OS or the games themselves.

“Really disgusting”? Your hyperbole is off the charts! So, they’ve done the same as any other linux distro then? And that’s “really disgusting”? If the people who contribute code to Linux or any other open source project don’t want people to use it they shouldn’t have released it using that particular licensing scheme, but you know what, they’re not complaining. They knew what they were doing and they’re happy to allow Valve, Redhat, Google and anyone else who wants it to use it. Valve will be promoting Linux as a platform, and because of the nature of the Linux license agreements they’ll be contributing code back to the Linux codebase.

They are a marketing engine and a DRM engine. They might have less awful DRM and be more reliable than EA (true), and they might be less controlling of the market than Apple (also true), but at least EA and Apple actually create things of some kind of their own.

Erm, Steam is Valve. Valve make things of their own. I’d have thought any gamer would be aware of that. They’ve also provided a means for Indies to get their products onto the same stage as some of the largest publishers granted I’m not sure that last thing is so great considering the sheer amount of dross being shovelled onto Steam at the moment but to say that they don’t create things is just wrong.

Kitt.2567

Valve’s SteamOS is completely free and open source, so it is not monopoly at all. what r u all talking about? and they do definitely contribute people, by making it is 100% free bro. can you imagine guildwars 2 turn into F2P?

And Steam also gives us promotions lot. last time when they gave me promotion I got borderlands 2 for just 5 dollar, which is just give away. Think who you are first, you are not developer who collects money from customer but the customer who try to find anything cheaper way. Steam definitely do contribute customer, as long as you are not game developer. But you are customer right.

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

ummm, yea. Layering off other people’s work. Isn’t that the point of open source?

I find the comment that Valve contributes nothing to linux very wrong.

Valve has been paying lunar g to fund mesa graphic stack driver. In fact, Lunar g found a bug in the actual intel graphic drivers

http://lunarg.com/glassymesa/

http://lunarg.com/little-chicken-bit-story-big-performance-gain-intels-mesa-driver/

Valve has join the khronos group and is advancing opengl by porting their engine and relaying what devs want.

https://www.khronos.org/members/contributors/valve-software

The made an debugger for opengl on linux and release their directx to opengl translation layer

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/vogl

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/ToGL

They did port some of their source games to linux.

They are trying to deal with distro fragmentation with steam runtime a issue when distributing binaries

even linus trovald himself said linux still have this issue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5PmHRSeA2c8#t=341

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Valve’s SteamOS is completely free and open source, so it is not monopoly at all. what r u all talking about? and they do definitely contribute people, by making it is 100% free bro. can you imagine guildwars 2 turn into F2P?

And Steam also gives us promotions lot. last time when they gave me promotion I got borderlands 2 for just 5 dollar, which is just give away. Think who you are first, you are not developer who collects money from customer but the customer who try to find anything cheaper way. Steam definitely do contribute customer, as long as you are not game developer. But you are customer right.

Some people can’t see the difference between short term and long term profits. I know people used to pirate Amiga software all the time, because it was expensive. It was cheaper to just get it free, right? And low and behold, every decent game maker stopped making Amiga software, which meant that people stopped buying Amiga computers, which meant the end of the computer, the company and eventually a waste of all the money you invested in it.

Getting stuff cheap in the short term is great for consumers, but if it’s bad enough for developers and they all just start making mobile phone games due to the lack of profits, well, we’ll see then how good it is for consumers.

Competition is fierce. It’s already hard to make a living for some developers, who have switched to, or focus on consoles. Why? Because people are having more trouble making a living on computer games. Games are made now to be more console friendly and less PC friendly. Is that really better for you?

Because I think new games suck because of it.

Steam doesn’t hold an actual monopoly but it’s big enough that is has the effect of doing so. So many people want to use Steam with their DRM. Do you realize I couldn’t buy Skyrim WITHOUT using steam. One of the most popular games and I just wanted to install it. Nope. Requires steam.

It might as well be a monopoly. It’s bad for gaming, it’s bad for developers and in the end, it’s bad for consumers.

Kitt.2567

Some people can’t see the difference between short term and long term profits. I know people used to pirate Amiga software all the time, because it was expensive. It was cheaper to just get it free, right? And low and behold, every decent game maker stopped making Amiga software, which meant that people stopped buying Amiga computers, which meant the end of the computer, the company and eventually a waste of all the money you invested in it.

Getting stuff cheap in the short term is great for consumers, but if it’s bad enough for developers and they all just start making mobile phone games due to the lack of profits, well, we’ll see then how good it is for consumers.

Competition is fierce. It’s already hard to make a living for some developers, who have switched to, or focus on consoles. Why? Because people are having more trouble making a living on computer games. Games are made now to be more console friendly and less PC friendly. Is that really better for you?

Because I think new games suck because of it.

Steam doesn’t hold an actual monopoly but it’s big enough that is has the effect of doing so. So many people want to use Steam with their DRM. Do you realize I couldn’t buy Skyrim WITHOUT using steam. One of the most popular games and I just wanted to install it. Nope. Requires steam.

It might as well be a monopoly. It’s bad for gaming, it’s bad for developers and in the end, it’s bad for consumers.

your word about monopoly thing is completely non-sense to me.
what you tell me is like, Can I play Windows Games on Mac? or should I buy Windows 8.1 installed PC? It is not fault of valve it is fault of Skyrim team deciding to only put their game on Steam, but that is all!

Why it should be Valve’s monopoly only for the fact that Skyrim team decided their game to advertise only on Steam?

and Steam actually advertise games to numerous amount of its steam users instead of each game company does advertise it. This advertisement by Steam definitely benefits each game company.

And Steam is very famous for supporting indie game developer as well. If there wasn’t steam how would they make a everyday meals?

Do they give a promotion for one game so that long term?
what do you expect? 365 days or 1~2 days? I got borderlands 2 promotion that has time cap which was just 2 days, and it was their first promotion on borderland 2 title since borderlands 2 has been released 2~3 years ago.

(edited by Kitt.2567)

Posted by: Bread.7516

Bread.7516

What Redenaz said should be the primary starting point on why anet should expand into Linux. Why would a games developer spend resources on something that isn’t there yet or if the maths doesn’t really add up. http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

Also, please don;t bring up mobile again because it is irrelevant to this topic.

Unless you’re suggesting they make GW2 run on phones/tablets, that 47% isn’t relevant. And I don’t mean niche gaming tablets, either, but the low-to-high range of devices that actually makes up that 47%.

It doesn’t matter if 48% of the market uses some form of Linux, but 47% of those are devices wildly unsuited to running GW2.

(I’m not even going to question you adding percentages like that if I can avoid it.)

As much as I like linux distros especially for enterprise implementations, in a business perspective for anet I seriously doubt it would be a sensible choice. If it doesn’t make money why invest in it?

Is it the future? to be optimistic – maybe, but it’s all about timing, get in it too early and you get burned.

(edited by Bread.7516)

Redenaz.8631

To expand a little on what I wrote previously:

Linux is a market very lightly tapped by AAA-style games, so one might think that putting a big MMO there would be a lucrative endeavor. You have to consider, though, that it’s a lot more complicated to port a big game like GW2 than an indie game, and the market is really, really small.

It’s not just small because of Linux’s market share, either. Even among people who use Linux, you have to factor out business or otherwise non-personal setups, and then from those you have the market of people who want to play an MMO, but don’t already have Windows or OSX. The slice gets smaller and smaller.

Obviously, “It’s a small market” isn’t the whole story. OSX isn’t a market giant, but there’s a version of GW2 for it, so that line has to be drawn somewhere. Considering the OSX version isn’t on quite the same standing as the PC version, it stands to reason the Linux port would be even less supported, and after a point it doesn’t seem worthwhile to invest in one at all, not when you have a large, already-invested market you can cater to instead.

Posted by: Zera Allimatti.2541

Zera Allimatti.2541

There’s an easier way to say not-insignificant: significant. Just for future reference

Give us more GW 1 weapon and armor skins, please. COPY/PASTE ALREADY!!!!

Kitt.2567

ok lets see after Valve releasing Steam Machine lol

Redenaz.8631

There’s an easier way to say not-insignificant: significant. Just for future reference

It’s written that way partially for emphasis, partially because I’ve read too much Douglas Adams, and partially because I like telling grammar what to do, instead of being told what to do by grammar.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

If they have the ressources for a project like that i’d rather see them put that
into a 64-bit client and DX-11

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Cazamar.7148

Cazamar.7148

Yeah, let’s have them waste time and money for something 5 people need, lol.

Zera Allimatti.2541

It’s written that way partially for emphasis, partially because I’ve read too much Douglas Adams, and partially because I like telling grammar what to do, instead of being told what to do by grammar.

No offense meant when I say this, but it is just that often times I see many people use convoluted or uncommon terminology and a lot of extra words to say something that can be said with fewer words, yet still getting the point across. They seem to do this all to try to give off a superiority complex with colorful vocabulary. (See what I did there?) You may or may not be one of those people, and I am guilty of it as well sometimes.

I have no idea who this Douglas Adams is, but it sounds like Raditz.

There’s nothing wrong with being versed with vocabulary, but it might be beneficial to keep your target audience in mind. This is a video game forum on the internet, not 4th year college level politics, economics, and debate class. (read: politicians using ‘big words’ so that the common folk/the majority of their constituents will have no idea what they are talking about and wont want to question what they say.). “Those are some big, fancy words I’ve never heard before. He must know what he’s talking about.” I think there’s an official term for this form of word play, but I don’t know for sure. It’s the same thing for the thousand-page bills proposed as new laws in congress. They purposely build those things so large that no one will actually want to take the time to read it all the way through and will want to just vote on it to get it out of their way, all while subtly including funding for their pet projects.

It is deliberate “too long; didn’t read”, in layman’s terms. Wait, I mean it is tl;dr done on purpose.

If you want to give emphasis, might I suggest using ALL CAPITAL LETTERS, bold, italicized, or underlined font? I can understand if you get some enjoyment out of telling words what to do, however. I am a huge proponent of not giving words power over me. I have power over them, though.

tl;dr

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Don’t know who this Douglas Adams person is? There are such out there that use the internet?

Zera Allimatti.2541

Don’t know who this Douglas Adams person is? There are such out there that use the internet?

Obviously.

Would you be surprised to know there are people who don’t know who Ghandi is? A farfetched comparison, I know, but trust me I’m nowhere near as bad as those people.

Posted by: sorrychief.2563

sorrychief.2563

not sure if serious or trolling
have you heard of an event called The International?

champion magus
previously rank 2 on old leaderboards
EG.secret.OG.NAVI.sorrychief

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Obviously.

Would you be surprised to know there are people who don’t know who Ghandi is? A farfetched comparison, I know, but trust me I’m nowhere near as bad as those people.

No not surprised.
don’t panic.

Posted by: Praffy.4091

Praffy.4091

actually the games works pretty nice with wine. of course i would love to have a native version for linux. one that is not based on emulators like most of the games for linux on steam. but that is probably too much to ask. for now i use playonlinux which gives a pretty nice experience.
also i would like to be a standalone client that has nothing to do with the steam itself.

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

this will never happen. this is a prophecy.

Posted by: Lytalm.5673

Lytalm.5673

this will never happen. this is a prophecy.

PLZ, this is not a Prophecy, it’s a folly. OP totally disregard that the his target audience is totally inexistent.

P.S. : Prophety best game ever.

Les Pirates du Styx [xQcx]
Fort Aspenwood