Make "Unobtainable" armor obtainable!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: flipyap.5789

flipyap.5789

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Category:Unobtainable_armor_sets

Its a shame that there is even an “Unobtainable Armor Sets” page on the wiki. I know people have been wanting Tribal armor for a long time but some other stuff like the guild plate armor have no excuse for just being removed from game.

The wiki page says: “The skins still available in the wardrobe to players who have unlocked them”

This is a little unfair. People have unlimited access to armor sets that don’t exist anymore.

MAKE THESE AVAILABLE.

EDIT: getting a simple skin very easily in pvp and then having that opportunity removed with no warning does not make these skins exclusive rare trophies. Stop thinking that I want these to be given away. I said obtainable. Legendaries are obtainable but you don’t see anet giving those out.

(edited by flipyap.5789)

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

its a little unfair that i earned tribal set and you didn’t?
while i was pvping you were pveing and earned your Wings of the Sunless,
i guess its a little unfair that i wasn’t given that, Anet should mail me it…

please folks stop trying to get the very few old rare heirloom items made commonplace.
there isn’t much of value in this game, legendaries are all over the place, go to lions arch you’ll see 20 people with Twilight.
the Tribal set is one of the few things that i’m happy i have because of its scarcity.
you folks just want everything to be worthless and commonpool.

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

please folks stop trying to get the very few old rare heirloom items made commonplace.
there isn’t much of value in this game, legendaries are all over the place, go to lions arch you’ll see 20 people with Twilight.
the Tribal set is one of the few things that i’m happy i have because of its scarcity.

Lol earned Tribal set. The tribal pvp skin was pure RNG, don’t act like you earned kitten.

Posted by: Substatic.6958

Substatic.6958

And there was no warning pre-patch that Tribal set was going away for good.

You just got lucky, twice.

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

Lol earned Tribal set. The tribal pvp skin was pure RNG, don’t act like you earned kitten.

It was pretty easy to craft if you pvpd at all.

Posted by: Sylent.3165

Sylent.3165

I do not own any of the armors from the link from op. Not do I deserve to own them. I think it’s very good for a game to do this with armor. Not every single person in the game should own it. We need certain rare things in each mmo

Posted by: CandyHearts.6025

CandyHearts.6025

Why are you guys acting like skins are trophys?

It’s a random drop.

Posted by: Xcorpdog.2840

Xcorpdog.2840

“The Tribal armor set and other armor sets that were sPvP-exclusive will be obtainable again at some point in the future. There is no ETA as to when this will happen.” – Joey Thompson

CandyHearts.6025

“The Tribal armor set and other armor sets that were sPvP-exclusive will be obtainable again at some point in the future. There is no ETA as to when this will happen.” – Joey Thompson

To add. Tempest was wearing it during the reveal stream. So. My assumption is HoT is bringing it back.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

The Tribal set is one of the few things that i’m happy i have because of its scarcity.

“I take pleasure in other people not having things” is one of the most loathsome of all human traits.

You folks just want everything to be worthless and commonpool.

No, I want it’s value to come from people appreciating what it is, rather than how it promotes ‘special snowflake’ self-aggrandizement.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Travis the Terrible.4739

Travis the Terrible.4739

Well today I learned I have 3 unobtainable sets of armor skins. Interesting.

Follow the darkness into the depths, it’s more fun than the light can provide.

CandyHearts.6025

The Tribal set is one of the few things that i’m happy i have because of its scarcity.

“I take pleasure in other people not having things” is one of the most loathsome of all human traits.

You folks just want everything to be worthless and commonpool.

No, I want it’s value to come from people appreciating what it is, rather than how it promotes ‘special snowflake’ self-aggrandizement.

I lol’d because I agree with your comments entirely. xD

Posted by: VaaCrow.3076

VaaCrow.3076

I don’t see the point in anet bringing back stuff like this and limited edition skins. it was here and now it is gone, ya had a chance and didn’t get it. So what if you view the people who have it and would like to look unique as “self aggrandizing” not everybody wants to look live every other sheep out there, mmo/rl are both the same in this aspect, people like to look unique. no reason to ruin that, just to cater to envious other people

[Rise] Madness Rises Guild Leader [Kei Shade-ranger]
May our BL break all foes. Fear our babou!
Gunnars Hold Represent! <3

Posted by: Lucentfir.7430

Lucentfir.7430

If you were around back before the Wardrobe changes you would know you had to earn it, it took a bit of research to learn the recipes. By earn it, I mean you had to reach tiger rank. From there the only RNG aspect was to toss Tiger ranked tokens with other materials that costed glory in which you get various armors. Not to mention getting to Tiger rank took a good investment of time in PvP. I’m all for having it return, but in HoT it should return as a high level pvp reward if anything.

Reth Grimrazor – Charr Guardian – [GWB]Grim Warband – Tarnished Coast
Redgen Furyblaze – Charr Guardian – [SHD]Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast
Lerious Warhowl – Charr Warrior – [SHD] Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast

(edited by Lucentfir.7430)

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

The thing is most of these were not designed, marketed or (I suspect) intended to be limited edition skins.

The way they were removed makes it seem more like an oversight on Anet’s part. They combined the PvP and PvE skin systems and missed the fact that some were only obtainable via mechanics which were removed in the process. Until that point they were not considered rare or ‘exclusive’ or in any other way special. In fact the Guild Archmage, Defender and Watchman armor was the default PvP armor everyone started in before they unlocked other skins.

If we were talking about something like the Glorious Heroes armor which actually is an exclusive PvP reward then that argument may make sense, but not for something everyone got whether they wanted it or not until the mechanics changed.

But also the OP did not ask to be simply given something you “earned”. Obtainable does not mean handed out to everyone with zero effort. Legendaries are obtainable by every single person in the game. So is the glorious armor.

But no matter how much time, effort, money or skill you are willing and able to put into the game you will never be able to get the Tribal armor set. It doesn’t matter if you are officially the best PvP player the game has ever seen, you can’t get it unless you happened to have it before the update.

What they should do IMO is add a new way to get it that’s comparable to the old one. You used to get it through the PvP reward system, so the obvious choice would be to add a reward track that gives it.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Hammerguard.9834

Hammerguard.9834

To add. Tempest was wearing it during the reveal stream. So. My assumption is HoT is bringing it back.

This annoyed me. People have been asking for this set for about a year(?) then they just randomly throw it in our faces on a stream.

… I still want tengu.

Posted by: Kiranell Mordagnir.7852

Kiranell Mordagnir.7852

I, for one, would be extremely happy to see the unobtainable armors come back. No one has yet mentioned how disheartening it can be for a new player to look at the list of armor that he or she cannot get simply because they did not start playing the game when it came out. I know that for me, the drive to get them stems from an urge for completion on my part; I hate it when I have just a few of something missing. So yes, I’d like to be able to get those armors. I’d definitely be willing to put in the work for them. I might not ever wear them, and I might in fact hate the look of them, but my little heart goes pitter-pat every time I unlock something. And I’d spend more time playing and be more likely to buy things in-game if I knew I would be able to unlock every single skin, if only I worked hard enough.

It’s not about whether a game is good or bad or successful or not. It’s about whether the games and the devs are fair to their players, and I think that fairness should start with giving all players the ability to get the same things. They’ve done that with the gemstore, because you can farm up the gold and exchange them for the gems to buy something if you really want it and can’t afford to spend real-world monies on it. I’d like to see them do it with things like this, too. By all means, make us work for them. But at least give us the chance.

Posted by: Rainbowsand.2438

Rainbowsand.2438

OP is totally right. The best and rarest items in the game must be given to noobs an casuals for free and in abundance.

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Well, this is a general discussion. Do you want:

• Feel unique?
  • Get everything?

The two are mutually exclusive. If you want players to be able to feel unique you have to offer ways to obtain gear which cannot be acquired again later or is exceedingly difficult to obtain to the point where most don’t bother (i.e. current Legendaries are way too easy to get, seriously).

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

I, for one, would be extremely happy to see the unobtainable armors come back. No one has yet mentioned how disheartening it can be for a new player to look at the list of armor that he or she cannot get simply because they did not start playing the game when it came out. I know that for me, the drive to get them stems from an urge for completion on my part; I hate it when I have just a few of something missing. So yes, I’d like to be able to get those armors. I’d definitely be willing to put in the work for them. I might not ever wear them, and I might in fact hate the look of them, but my little heart goes pitter-pat every time I unlock something. And I’d spend more time playing and be more likely to buy things in-game if I knew I would be able to unlock every single skin, if only I worked hard enough.

It’s not about whether a game is good or bad or successful or not. It’s about whether the games and the devs are fair to their players, and I think that fairness should start with giving all players the ability to get the same things. They’ve done that with the gemstore, because you can farm up the gold and exchange them for the gems to buy something if you really want it and can’t afford to spend real-world monies on it. I’d like to see them do it with things like this, too. By all means, make us work for them. But at least give us the chance.

this

Posted by: Rainbowsand.2438

Rainbowsand.2438

So you want to destroy the concept of rarity and antiquity entirely?
Btw you can get an unobtainable armour just fine. Buy an account with it.

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

You are so clever. Thank you. WTB account!

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

OP is totally right. The best and rarest items in the game must be given to noobs an casuals for free and in abundance.

This but unironically.

Posted by: Ciome.1075

Ciome.1075

• Feel unique?
  • Get everything?

The two are mutually exclusive. If you want players to be able to feel unique you have to offer ways to obtain gear which cannot be acquired again later or is exceedingly difficult to obtain to the point where most don’t bother (i.e. current Legendaries are way too easy to get, seriously).

be happy, it will be even easier. The “legendary” category should be renamed.

Posted by: Kjell.8379

Kjell.8379

So you want to destroy the concept of rarity and antiquity entirely?
Btw you can get an unobtainable armour just fine. Buy an account with it.

Well uh. I mean. These armour sets that are currently unobtainable were just kinda gone one day with no actual warning. People had no way of knowing that they should get one particular armour set while it still was attainable. Guild armour at the very least has no excuse for existing only partially available.

Purchasing a pre-owned account is really not a sensible solution compared to adding these already existing armour skins back into the game.

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

I want to see everything obtainable by everyone, but honestly, those skins are quite frankly terrible. I mean, they are seriously ugly with horrible texturing. If anyone actually uses them because they think they are special snowflake skins, I pity them slightly, as there are so many better looking armors in the game. Luckily I have most of these “unobtainable” skins myself, but I will never use them. I’d rather see that people could obtain the Selfless Potion and Thoughtless Potion again, as I keep getting asked about how I have a halo/horns floating above my head and have to tell them it’s not available anymore, often to their disappointed replies.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

(edited by Absconditus.6804)

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

There is nothing wrong with bringing back the tribal set so long as the effort put into getting it equals the same effort it took to get in the first place.

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

This but unironically.

So you actually believe that? You want things to just be handed out for nothing? No effort involved? This is Guild Wars 2, not Communism Online.

flipyap.5789

To those of you complaining that I requested these armor sets to be given out, you are hearing me wrong. I said obtainable. and Also you really didn’t “work” or grind for these sets if they were so easy to get. These aren’t rare/exclusive armors. They were simply removed with no warning. Stop trying to feel like you earned them like they are a legendary.

flipyap.5789

Its unfair that you got Tribal set from RNG and I currently cannot.

Posted by: Ominous.7583

Ominous.7583

They need to be added back in the game and you should have to work for them. That’s all op is asking for and there is no reason why his request is unreasonable
Other than u got and wont feel as special anymore boo boo no one cares as far as teq wings go pretty sure u can get those also they also need to add Halloween 2012 skins back and a small chance of getting that karka mini also

-Ironcurtain

(edited by Ominous.7583)

Posted by: Tora.7214

Tora.7214

uhh, as far as i recall the tribal armor was never, ever “legally” available in game. Those who obtained it in pvp was because of a bug that made the “spvp version” of the “masquerade armor” take the form of the tribal armor when equiped, the tribal armor was never in the old wardrobe list, it was obtained trough this bug, so those whining because they worked hard for it are actually admiting that they intentionally worked hard to use the bug and obtain an armor that wasnt mean to be released yet. as Anet said it themselves in a post at the time, so this was never a “heirloom” “rare drop” “limited edition” item as people claim it was but the result of a mess up from someone at Arenanet

anyway, as allready mentioned Joey allready said the armor will be added in the future, and the tempest in the PoI video might be a hard imply that will be available in HoT, maybe as a tempest reward track since it fits both the specialization and the jungle theme of the expantion

(edited by Tora.7214)

Posted by: Lucentfir.7430

Lucentfir.7430

uhh, as far as i recall the tribal armor was never, ever “legally” available in game. Those who obtained it in pvp was because of a bug that made the “spvp version” of the “masquerade armor” take the form of the tribal armor when equiped, the tribal armor was never in the old wardrobe list, it was obtained trough this bug, so those whining because they worked hard for it are actually admiting that they intentionally worked hard to use the bug and obtain an armor that wasnt mean to be released yet. as Anet said it themselves in a post at the time, so this was never a “heirloom” “rare drop” “limited edition” item as people claim it was

anyway, as allready mentioned Joey allready said the armor will be added in the future, and the tempest in the PoI video might be a hard imply that will be available in HoT, maybe as a tempest reward track since it fits both the specialization and the jungle theme of the expantion

Wut. The armor set has been in the game since launch under that name, saying that its a bug how it was acquired is kind of dumb, I doubt if it wasn’t meant to be released Anet would have let it sit in game for as long as it did. When people say they earned it they mean they played PVP for it for a good amount of time, since back then rank gain was much slower, and rewards weren’t really good compared to PVE. The only way someone could even get any of the tribal pieces in the first place is if they salvaged tiger ranked armor with Spvp salvage kits, for Tiger tokens and then toss that in the MF with other crafting components.

Like I said I’m all for having the set return, but don’t call out everyone who PVP’d for it back with the old system bug exploiters. It makes you look like really salty about people who have the set. Also when the wardrobe change hit the name of the set was corrected, since they pretty much fused PVE and PVP skins together and having 2 armor sets named Masquerade wouldn’t work. It’s only prestigious now because the only way to get it was through Spvp in the old system. Now that it’s gone there’s no other way to get it and it’s been unavailable since then. It will probably be in HoT as you said but my hopes when they release it is through Spvp rewards.

Reth Grimrazor – Charr Guardian – [GWB]Grim Warband – Tarnished Coast
Redgen Furyblaze – Charr Guardian – [SHD]Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast
Lerious Warhowl – Charr Warrior – [SHD] Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

It’s actually coming back with PvP League rewards. Surely I wasn’t the only player to notice the skin being shown as a reward in the blog post a few weeks ago…

Tora.7214

It’s actually coming back with PvP League rewards. Surely I wasn’t the only player to notice the skin being shown as a reward in the blog post a few weeks ago…

Hmm mind giving a link? Went to see the blog post and didnt saw it show or mentioned

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I think it makes Tyria more interesting that I can look at some skins and have some idea as to the effort, skill, good timing, or good luck required to obtain it. I am not bothered that I won’t be able to get them all.

• Feel unique?
  • Get everything?

They aren’t mutually exclusive, if everyone compromises a bit on the definitions.

• There could be some skins that can only be obtained at limited times and never again.
  • Some skins could be obtainable on a limited and repeatable basis, which is how some gem shop skins are offered.
  • Some skins could be available only to those who do certain content. This applies to the WvW tournament weapons, Glorious armor, and some PvP tourney minis. It also applies to the Hall of Monuments skins.
  • Some skins could be obtainable only with skill, such as the Liadri mini and SAB weapon/back skins.
  • Despite the above exceptions, the vast majority of GW2 skins are obtainable at will.

I don’t see any reason why every skin has to obtainable by just anyone, regardless of whether it’s randomly assigned, earned by skill, bought, or whatever. I think it makes Tyria more interesting that I can look at some skins and have some idea as to the effort, skill, good timing, or good luck required to obtain it.

(to address the OP’s point: yeah, since Tribal armor was available randomly before in PvP, it should have its own track, like Glorious armor does)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: vanderwolf.7084

vanderwolf.7084

They need to be added back in the game and you should have to work for them. That’s all op is asking for and there is no reason why his request is unreasonable
Other than u got and wont feel as special anymore boo boo no one cares as far as teq wings go pretty sure u can get those also they also need to add Halloween 2012 skins back and a small chance of getting that karka mini also

Wings of the sunless aren’t available anymore either and I for one have been hungering for them since I started playing…unfortunately I started playing just AFTER they went away. so unless they add them to the laurel vendor like most season 1 stuff, I’ll never get those.

Tman.6349

Hmm mind giving a link? Went to see the blog post and didnt saw it show or mentioned

No it wasn’t mentioned specifically, but surely you can put in the effort of searching ‘guild wars 2 PvP leagues blogpost’ if it matters.

Posted by: Zev.3407

Zev.3407

Tora.7214

No it wasn’t mentioned specifically, but surely you can put in the effort of searching ‘guild wars 2 PvP leagues blogpost’ if it matters.

if you mean the green looking armor that appears as “next tier reward” in this pic that isnt the tribal armor

Tman.6349

I guess you’ll have to take my word for it and trust indiscriminately…

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

There’s no reason Tribal, Apostle, Stalwart, Marauder, and the other armor sets that were just arbitrarily not available in full shouldn’t be available normally. They weren’t designed to be special, they’re just skins that fell between the cracks (Stalwart and Apostle were probably intended to be given to you as personal story rewards, for example, but for some reason only the chest is).

Also, I want my godkitten ed Apostle pants and Stalwart shoulders, the only parts of those sets I don’t have.

Posted by: Forsaken.4215

Forsaken.4215

Played since day 1. Never unlocked Tribal or shield of the moon. If im going to play a game I want to play for good items so i can look good i don’t want to look cheap and dumb, I don’t care if you say it’s just a skin, the skin is what makes it worth playing for just like you go to work to buy new shirt and all that kitten.

So many effortless items and gemstore items currently unobtainable, I remember doing the slickpack achievements, how kittening hard it was on release, meant to be one time only yet they put the skickpack in the laurel merchant which actually kittened me off because at the time it was the only good thing I had. Still no rare drop for me, just an apostle helm from my hard work in pvp..

kenjutsu

Posted by: kolompi.1287

kolompi.1287

I think there should be an NPC vendor somewhere in LA that sells every possible skin for ANYTHING that you choose to pay for them. That way people could comfortably unlock every skin on their account without having to think, research, do something… for it.

This would make collections so much easier and less of a hassle.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

The guild armors are still completely obtainable ingame. They simply removed the clone pieces. You can still get the skins that aren’t avaliable from the guild merchant, the guild merchant was just adjusted to only sell the skin unique to him (the chest) because it was a bit silly to have him selling the skins for the other bits that can be had much cheaper elsewhere. This confused a lot of people who basically overpayed for karma skins.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Tenrai Senshi.2017

Tenrai Senshi.2017

I never get people like you, who seem to feel the need to assign values to virtual items.

At the end of the day, this is just a game and people simply want to have fun. Some might have arrived in the game late, and were unable to acquire certain armor sets that have now been removed (like tribal armor). It has nothing to do with who earned it or not, because it’s not like they won’t have to still earn it if it’s reintroduced to the game. Is it such a bad thing to make them available again so that people can just get what they want and have fun? Or must everything be determined by your shallow sense of virtual prestige?

You don’t want it to become available again, just so you can feel good about having something others do not. That’s just a really poor reason, to be honest.

Posted by: Tenrai Senshi.2017

Tenrai Senshi.2017

I think there should be an NPC vendor somewhere in LA that sells every possible skin for ANYTHING that you choose to pay for them. That way people could comfortably unlock every skin on their account without having to think, research, do something… for it.

This would make collections so much easier and less of a hassle.

I sense the sarcasm in this post, but to be clear, the OP just asked for currently unattainable skins to be reintroduced to the game. The OP never asked for them to be easy to acquire though, so I’m not sure why everyone seems to have jumped onto that train of thought. O_o

Tora.7214

guys give it a rest, anet allready said that tribal and other armor would be obtainable again soon, and the tempest in the PoI reveal wearing tribal armor might be a sign that the day is getting closer. then we can eat those greedy ppl delicious tears as they cry in forum to anet for adding them back

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

The guild armors are still completely obtainable ingame. They simply removed the clone pieces. You can still get the skins that aren’t avaliable from the guild merchant, the guild merchant was just adjusted to only sell the skin unique to him (the chest) because it was a bit silly to have him selling the skins for the other bits that can be had much cheaper elsewhere. This confused a lot of people who basically overpayed for karma skins.

They were a little overzealous removing stuff. The guild boots are very different from the banded boots on Norns and they could put the pants back on the vendor too .

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Meh, much like I enjoy it when zones changed permanently, I like it when certain things are no longer obtainable. It adds actual history to the game. :o

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.