Make or Break Time? Which Was It?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: QuartzMoped.2370

QuartzMoped.2370

Many people have been describing this update as a “make or break time” for this game. I agree, as the general feelings of newness are dissipating, this update could either have revitalized love for this game, its lore and its world or sent more people packing. Which was it for you?

For me: packing. Tired of this group concentrating their efforts on non-issues that weren’t broke and then breaking them. Tired of the promises of transparency, followed by the same old corporate double-speak. Tired of what has become obvious for so many: they have taken the promise of an excellent game and squandered it because they would prefer to force the cash from our hands as opposed to inviting us to spend it. Many changes, that seem to make no sense, make great sense when looked through the lens of, “they want more money”.

Great game shell, horrible decisions ruining it. Customers you drive away don’t buy any gems. Customers you drive away don’t recommend this game to their friends.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Break, the game isnt any better than before patch, some stuff even worse now like dungeons (got even easier) and dailies (more annoying and time consuming).
Not sure about the new story stuff yet, didnt see anything of it.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Jareth.4813

Jareth.4813

Cya guys then. Have fun with whatever games you play.

Posted by: kenshinakh.3672

kenshinakh.3672

I liked it. Dailies have more options now, and some are easier then the old ones. It was said it is meant to set the path for later patches to the dailies where you can have a choice on some options.

There was a big handful of bug fixes too.

So, it’s a fine patch. I don’t get what people QQ-ed about, but the forums get angry over the smallest things. Even like the ressing daily when people could have just walked around the same spots in the past and res dead NPCs. Lol.

Posted by: Fiennes.9568

Fiennes.9568

Break, the game isnt any better than before patch, some stuff even worse now like dungeons (got even easier) and dailies (more annoying and time consuming).
Not sure about the new story stuff yet, didnt see anything of it.

Dungeons didn’t get easier… there may have been some tuning, but the fact you can’t waypoint-zerg anymore mitigates that, somewhat.

Dailies have never been time-consuming and yesterdays (even with the bugs) and todays were quick and painless.

And this breaks the game for you?

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

Issuing ultimatums to a game is extremely silly to begin with.

If you don’t enjoy the game, stop playing it, you don’t need to make these grand statements.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

This patch wasn’t make or break for me. But it wasn’t a bad patch. I think the devs are actually trying to address player concerns, the patch included some things we’ve asked for a lot and some cool new stuff.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

I’d disagree that this patch is the ‘make or break’ patch, simply because this is only a framework for coming updates.

How are they trying to force people to spend money though? Genuinely curious since I don’t have this feeling.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: metaverse.6821

metaverse.6821

I laugh at dailies breaking the game. Also that I guess people would rather have the exact same dailies every day?

Did you guys go out and actually try the dailies? I mean do you want them to just hand you a laurel every day for logging on? You can get the dailies done quickly.

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

Some of you complain on the forum. Its stupid, nothing will please you honestly. Im pretty sure some of you are on the forums whining more than you are playing the game, and you represent a poor majority of the population. I liked the patch, I just wanna see the living story mode. Dailies are fine, I felt like it got people more involved with the world and each other. The only people leaving this game are the same people who arnt satisfied with any other game they play.

Posted by: Dex.6139

Dex.6139

Many people have been describing this update as a “make or break time” for this game. I agree, as the general feelings of newness are dissipating, this update could either have revitalized love for this game, its lore and its world or sent more people packing. Which was it for you?

For me: packing. Tired of this group concentrating their efforts on non-issues that weren’t broke and then breaking them. Tired of the promises of transparency, followed by the same old corporate double-speak. Tired of what has become obvious for so many: they have taken the promise of an excellent game and squandered it because they would prefer to force the cash from our hands as opposed to inviting us to spend it. Many changes, that seem to make no sense, make great sense when looked through the lens of, “they want more money”.

Great game shell, horrible decisions ruining it. Customers you drive away don’t buy any gems. Customers you drive away don’t recommend this game to their friends.

whoa whoa whoa. Hold the phone. Anet is done with releasing the patches already!? I could have sworn there were more to come in Feb and March. Guess I was wrong.

Posted by: JBleezz.2697

JBleezz.2697

I’m still kinda confused on the concept of leaving a game that you own permanently. It kinda seems irrational.

I get not playing or having a guild switch focuses to another mmo because your not having fun. But leaving a game implies never coming back, which quite frankly seems odd. Why not simply say your not going to play it until its fun for you again?

I mean if down the road they make the game such that it would be fun for you again would you consider coming back, or would you be so set in your ultimatum convictions that you wouldn’t even log back in to see if its true?

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Well patch doesn’t really give me anything . I probably do dailys and kill stuff in WvWvW, but motivation is very low.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

QuartzMoped.2370

If you don’t enjoy the game, stop playing it, you don’t need to make these grand statements.

You argument: If someone hurts you in a relationship, just walk away from that person. Don’t ever, under any circumstances, address your grievances. About the gist?

Dex.6139

I’m still kinda confused on the concept of leaving a game that you own permanently. It kinda seems irrational.

I think it’s just for the attention. Well, announcing it on the forums at least.

metaverse.6821

whoa whoa whoa. Hold the phone. Anet is done with releasing the patches already!? I could have sworn there were more to come in Feb and March. Guess I was wrong.

It’s amazing to me.

Been playing MMOs for a while now and so far Anet has released monthly content, something most devs promise but can never do. You always see “We are going to do something monthly!” Anet actually does and I don’t think it was one of their promises.

Meanwhile look at nearly every other MMO and their next big patch is coming “Spring 2013!” or “Soon!”

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

You argument: If someone hurts you in a relationship, just walk away from that person. Don’t ever, under any circumstances, address your grievances. About the gist?

A videogame isn’t a relationship, so no, that’s not my argument.

But since you brought it up, ultimatums are a really bad idea in relationships too.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

(edited by GrandmaFunk.3052)

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

I enjoyed the game before the patch, so it really didn’t make any difference for me. The only thing that’s a “make or break” for me, is sPvP. But I’ll wait for the february and march patches before my final judgement on it. As it is, WvW and PvE are still a ton of fun.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

Posted by: Jareth.4813

Jareth.4813

I’ve never given my partner an ultimatum.

If your relationship comes down to that as a last resort then the relationship ended a long time ago.

To put it simply. Handing someone an ultimatum (make or break) and voicing ones grievances are two completely different things. I’d hope you can tell the difference.

Posted by: Kromica.2831

Kromica.2831

The patch didn’t change anything, I will still just do my daily fractals selling the blues I get ( because that is usually the only thing I get) for a few silver.

(edited by Kromica.2831)

Dex.6139

I enjoyed the game before the patch, so it really didn’t make any difference for me. The only thing that’s a “make or break” for me, is sPvP. But I’ll wait for the february and march patches before my final judgement on it. As it is, WvW and PvE are still a ton of fun.

^ This

Posted by: Rehashed Jibe Tube.7102

Rehashed Jibe Tube.7102

break time for me.

No PVE game can hold my attention for more than 6 months. When I can accurately predict how A.I. will react everything starts to feel too mechanical.

This one was definitely a good one. Try as I might though, I just can’t get into the PVP in this game as is, and it’s PVP that hooks me long term. (many real people aren’t afflicted with simple A.I.)

Not a fault of the game though. I bought it, I played it, I liked it.

I’m still holding out hope that payed expansions will add a pvp mode that hooks me. It was GvG and AB that kept me playing GW1 for 4 years and AB’s weren’t added till the first boxed expansion. So although my playtime is probably going to drop right off for the foreseeable future, I’m not the least bit bitter or disappointed about it.

(edited by Rehashed Jibe Tube.7102)

Posted by: Laurie.1698

Laurie.1698

I like the game before, I like it now. A few changes, and I expect more still in such a young game. Which is exactly what I like about it. There will always be things with anything that one does not particularly care for and others that make it great. Perspective I think. I am having fun though, so I’m staying.

“Do not scorn caring and sympathizing, they are the gifts of a gentle heart!”
J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Posted by: Hellkaiser.6025

Hellkaiser.6025

I get not playing or having a guild switch focuses to another mmo because your not having fun. But leaving a game implies never coming back, which quite frankly seems odd. Why not simply say your not going to play it until its fun for you again?

I mean if down the road they make the game such that it would be fun for you again would you consider coming back, or would you be so set in your ultimatum convictions that you wouldn’t even log back in to see if its true?

That’s a VERY valid question so thank you for having the presence of mind to ask it.

I can’t speak for everyone, but if this game was to pull both it’s own and it’s forum staffs collective head out of their rectum, I would love to come back to a redesigned game. But given we’ve little to no freedom to call things as we see them and given the rationalizations are given and then we’re told go bugger off by those without issue then I guess many players who were let down by the game philosophy changes or shortcomings won’t be returning even IF the game turns around, the principle alone should be that if you go THIS far about being all about the money, you should be left to rot and burn as an example.

Irony…. xD

Posted by: Ruin.1927

Ruin.1927

Lol. Some of the attitudes coming from folks on these forums are crazy. The feelings of entitlement, I mean. “I paid for dinner. I better get sex tonight!” Lol. Ok, that might be pushing it a little, but seriously, sometime the writing on these forums make out the developers of this game seem so tyrannical. Like there’s some kind of cash grab.

I paid $60 to play the game. Exploring the beautiful world, building my character, participating in some exciting battles in WvWvW. I’d say I got my money’s worth for maybe that month or two by itself. Am I the only one that ANet not charge a monthly fee, because I haven’t been paying anything since my initial purchase.

Oh. The topic. Orr looks great. Exited about what the new FREE content is going to look like.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Make. Fractals are more accessible, Dailies are not so boring, new content is coming this afternoon, dungeons took a step in the right direction, and a ton of bugs were fixed. Also temples are more fun, meaningful and have better rewards,and Orr is not a nightmare anymore.

If your biggest complaint is that you have to do different things to earn a new reward then I say the game is headed in the right direction.

Posted by: gillius.2856

gillius.2856

I like the changes, it seems like A-net has worked hard on it and have made alot of changes.
But correct me if im wrong isn’t this just the first of 3 updates they are planning to roll out?
I like the changes the dailies have a coop quest and having different ones each day will make them less of a chore.

The new laurels are a great incentive to do the dailies and something to work for, as i like having stuff to gain as-well as exploring and going for the legendary. and i like that they made lodestones slightly easier to get.

Altho it does make me abit sad to see all the people on the forums having trouble appreciating what has been done and what is to come, maybe they will be happier when all the updates have been rolled out.

metaverse.6821

….maybe they will be happier when all the updates have been rolled out.

They won’t be.

QuartzMoped.2370

A videogame isn’t a relationship, so no, that’s not my argument.

But since you brought it up, ultimatums are a really bad idea in relationships too.

You’re correct: a videogame is not a relationship. Silly me. Oh, but wait… how about a customer and a company? Is that a relationship? Oh, it is?

Posted by: Hellkaiser.6025

Hellkaiser.6025

Lol. Some of the attitudes coming from folks on these forums are crazy. The feelings of entitlement, I mean. “I paid for dinner. I better get sex tonight!” Lol. Ok, that might be pushing it a little, but seriously, sometime the writing on these forums make out the developers of this game seem so tyrannical. Like there’s some kind of cash grab.

I paid $60 to play the game. Exploring the beautiful world, building my character, participating in some exciting battles in WvWvW. I’d say I got my money’s worth for maybe that month or two by itself. Am I the only one that ANet not charge a monthly fee, because I haven’t been paying anything since my initial purchase.

Oh. The topic. Orr looks great. Exited about what the new FREE content is going to look like.

You can do all of the above without looking down your nose and spouting RUBBISH like “entitled” etc at other players, you only belittle your own points by doing so.
It could just be that you don’t share the views, and that’s fine. Like completely and totally fine, but just because you don’t have those issues doesn’t mean that it won’t be a negative aspect for many others, people are “entitled” to answer the op’s question, while seemingly random “thank you” threads usually end up thrown to the back of the queue, don’t be so bitter about that, no one wants to read a thank you in a sea of “please fix X, Y and Z” or “Why did you nerf this” etc etc, we’ll look the horse we’re buying in the mouth FIRST before we buy it, because it’s NOT A FREE GIFT as the saying would imply, sadly some of us feel this particular horse wasn’t the one advertised, are we self entitled if we don’t want to feel like we fell for a “bait and switch” I mean really?

You come across like a viral marketer you make such little sense.

Irony…. xD

Posted by: Nappychappy.7046

Nappychappy.7046

It’s amazing to me.

Been playing MMOs for a while now and so far Anet has released monthly content, something most devs promise but can never do. You always see “We are going to do something monthly!” Anet actually does and I don’t think it was one of their promises.

Meanwhile look at nearly every other MMO and their next big patch is coming “Spring 2013!” or “Soon!”

I don’t consider a gem store item, RNG gambling and some story notable content. Seriously what did this content patch bring? Something new for you to spend money on, a few nerfs, a few fixes and more moldy bags?

Granted they add “content” but it is so horrible, and so very limited. I can’t stand WoW anymore, but compare 5.2 to everything GW2 released since 3dhs and tell me how awesome this content is.

You are using 21 of 100 infractions ermm, PMs.

Posted by: Asglarek.8976

Asglarek.8976

Broke, waiting on ESO beta to start!

Posted by: Moderator.1462

Moderator.1462

Hi everyone,

Good bye threads or I quit threads are not allowed in the forums. Hence we are going to close this post. Anyway, we thank you for your feedback and will make sure the devs know your opinion.