Make shields more popular

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dreamtrip.6093

Dreamtrip.6093

So i was having a bright moment earlier today and started thinking:

" Wouldn’t it be cool if instead of using a shield, we like the look of, in the normal way there was an option to —--> turn it into a backpiece.

Shields are probably 1 of the weapons hardly used by most professions. On the other side a lot of the shields have some pretty awesome skins, but is that nice skin worth loosing ur 2 handed weapon?? No it’s not.

I was thinking it would be awesome if we could be able to choose on USAGE, to either use the shield as a shield or as a backpiece.

Now the big question is:

Are there any other people that think this would be a good idea to eventually get implemented by AN? Let’s get the discussion under way and here the Pros/Cons.

Dreamtrip

Posted by: Dice Dragon.4326

Dice Dragon.4326

Can I have swords on my back then without equiping them too? : ^)

im not against cosmetics, but its kinda silly sounding.

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

Eh I don’t think it’s silly at all. There are some amazing shield skins that would be wonderful as back pieces (shield of the moon I think it’s called and dragons jade to name a couple). Believe it or not backpieces are severely limited especially if you’re looking to match dyes or gear style. This would give some amazing options.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

Not a bad idea, but I think it would be mutch more better and realistic if;
>> Both of our weapon is visible. Unequipped lays, and if you just sheath it, both your weapons are on your back/hips. Worked well in many games, but even skyrim had troubles with it.

(Some may will say oh the FPS killing of this visuality… I say give it a [X] check at graphics options to disable draw’em)

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

I’m just thinking. What if they made shields with a zero-CD skill that has a block mechanic that lowers the damage you take but drains endurance….

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Shields are not something I have found useful. I agree that I would love to see some of the skins on a regular basis though. Either make them useful or able to be adapted as back items would work for me.

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

I’m just thinking. What if they made shields with a zero-CD skill that has a block mechanic that lowers the damage you take but drains endurance….

This is what I’ve suggested before.
In my design, warriros build up Adrenaline like in GW1, harder attacks req to load them, but using shield cover is a drain. So you have to manage your resouces, not your CDs.
(Btw, most of my class designs have this core idea)

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Blocking (aegis or by effect) entirely stops damage. Protection reduces damage taken. Both are not shield-exclusive states.

Xae Isareth.1364

Blocking (aegis or by effect) entirely stops damage. Protection reduces damage taken. Both are not shield-exclusive states.

It’s not a state, its a way to add engaging gameplay. For an action-based MMO, the shields in GW2 just feels silly.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

not every prof can use a shield, adding an option to block outside skills is giving some profs an advantage over others.
only if every single profession can block, however they do it, then it’s a good idea, otherwise it becomes something of a huge advantage.

Xae Isareth.1364

not every prof can use a shield, adding an option to block outside skills is giving some profs an advantage over others.
only if every single profession can block, however they do it, then it’s a good idea, otherwise it becomes something of a huge advantage.

Why should every profession be able to block? Does every profession have 4 atunements every weapon type like the elementalist? Or have access to kits like the engineer?

It’s not even an advantage. By equipping a shield you are forgoing another weapon.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

… is there any defensive difference between Blocking and Evading, other than some attacks being able to go through Blocks? Being able to block for the same cost as an evade wouldn’t imbalance the game, and make shield users look cooler.

Anyway – I approve the idea of having shields function as backpacks as well, because shields look awesome.

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

Someone made a comment on another thread that struck me. Its like we can never get enough, EVER, that we have to have more “bling” on our characters than we already have. Like someone poured glue on half the players and then let them role around in a junkyard.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Xae Isareth.1364

… is there any defensive difference between Blocking and Evading, other than some attacks being able to go through Blocks? Being able to block for the same cost as an evade wouldn’t imbalance the game, and make shield users look cooler.

Anyway – I approve the idea of having shields function as backpacks as well, because shields look awesome.

It would cost less, but you would take some of the damage.

Posted by: Solo.9027

Solo.9027

I’ll take non-combat shields only if they remove wings and spider legs.

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

In PvE, I just want them to stunbreak. It’ll give them more defensive.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: Ark Bladesteele.2943

Ark Bladesteele.2943

There’s not a whole lot of love for shields in this game. The Flameseeker Prophecies, the legendary, only has a nice glowy effect on wield with a page turn when first wielded or a skill used. When stowed, it doesn’t look like a legendary at all. Only when I looked into possibly pursuing it did I realize I’d seen it around many times, just never noticed because it looks absolutely plain. Also, as far as I know, the only legendary that does not have footfalls.

As far as their utility goes, they can be effective for warriors in some situations. I’ve used one in WvW effectively, with shield bash offering a nice 300 range sudden stun with nearly no tell that it’s activating, and block allowing me to absorb all damage for a few seconds while I regen/CD other skills.

I have only used one on a warrior, though. I hear that they are actually very useful for engineers.

NSP’s resident crazy-eyed sylvari

(edited by Ark Bladesteele.2943)

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

There’s not a whole lot of love for shields in this game. The Flameseeker Prophecies, the legendary, only has a nice glowy effect on wield with a page turn when first wielded or a skill used. When stowed, it doesn’t look like a legendary at all. Only when I looked into possibly pursuing it did I realize I’d seen it around many times, just never noticed because it looks absolutely plain. Also, as far as I know, the only legendary that does not have footfalls.

Leave my shield alone please, it’s perfect as is.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

Posted by: Ark Bladesteele.2943

Ark Bladesteele.2943

Leave my shield alone please, it’s perfect as is.

I’m only stating my opinion, if that’s alright with you?

NSP’s resident crazy-eyed sylvari

Posted by: Shufflepants.9785

Shufflepants.9785

Or, let some classes be able to main hand shields, or DUAL WIELD SHIELDS.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Why should every profession be able to block? Does every profession have 4 atunements every weapon type like the elementalist? Or have access to kits like the engineer?

It’s not even an advantage. By equipping a shield you are forgoing another weapon.

Shields provide defensive skills in the first place. On a guardian it provides a frontal AoE that inflicts damage to enemies and gives allies protection, and a dome skill that knocks back enemies, absorbs projectiles, and can be collapsed to heal allies. If you’re equipping a shield, you’re doing it for a reason, almost every time it’s going to be able to access skills like those I just mentioned. Combat in this game isnt the same as it is in some TES cookie-cutter game, so adding things that come from such games is…. unnecessary.

Besides, what would the point of this “ability” be? For the cost of endurance, I can evade, not block, evade every single attack for the duration of the dodge.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

elements don’t prevent damage nor do kits, block does.

Posted by: Essarious Quw.8946

Essarious Quw.8946

Personally I’d like the option to strap a gismo on the back and use my leftover shields as a sled. Kind of like the broomstick only more basic and with more comedy.