Making Jumping puzzle alive again [SOLUTION]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Parking alts at chests harms the puzzle rewards so it harms everyone. Parking alts and portals is one of the reasons JP rewards are so low, they can’t increase the rewards if parking and portals are still used to skip them.

• You are assuming they WANT to increase puzzle rewards…show proof with a quote.
  • If rewards were reduced (example), only those that seek the rewards are “harmed”, not everyone. Your assumption that increasing the rewards would benefit everyone is not a true statement.
  • JP Rewards have never been “lowered” (only Ascended materials added). Your assumption that they are “low” is a personal opinion (tho I DO agree with that opinion).
  • If they truly want to reward the actual JP accomplishment itself, there are already triggers in place to identify start and end of a JP (evidenced when Daily JP was a thing). They could easily add a bouncy chest for DOING the JP…..IF THEY WANTED TO.

Rather than trying to “solve” this issue with a poorly thought out solution, why not just ask for an increase in rewards for actually doing the puzzle?

Now if Anet has stated somewhere that they WANT to discourage (or stop) JP chest parking, they could easily do it but nothing I have ever seen indicates this is something players or the Devs actually want.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

Posted by: Yalora Istairiea.6287

Yalora Istairiea.6287

You can already see what the newest JP has in store for us. You can’t park your character at the end of the newest JP and you can’t take a portal there. Go figure.

And as far as rewards go, it’s not worth doing more than once.

I can almost agree with you.

1. Once to get the JP achievement
  2. Once for the Star of Gratitude, the Generous Harvest achievement and The Magnanimous title
  3. And many times to portal your friends up to the top for the above items.

But all in all, you’re right the JP incentive is gone for me. Once the Monthly incentive was removed, basically two blues and a Mysterious Grubby Package, just doesn’t get my jumping juices flowing.

Posted by: callidus.7085

callidus.7085

I love JPs and did every single one in the game more than once. I loved the clock tower and jumped up there just for fun. So I do love the idea of making them more rewarding.
As cruel and hard as this may sound I think not being “young” or “fit” enough to do them should not be an argument against that. Since you can do other things to get rewards. So if all you can do is doing the boss train, well then do it and get rewards there. No one forces you to do jumping puzzles.
BUT – and this is important – forbidding a mechanic like a mesmer portal should be a no go. This should always be available.
The reason is simple: Other situations.
If a mesmer manages to hide inside an enemy keep and ports his team in, lets say other mesmers which again port etc. and at the end 80 people are in and killing the lord, should they also get a smaller reward since they did not open the doors with rams?

What if people join the karka queen fight when queen is at like 10%? Should they not get rewards since they did not shoot off her armor?

If you restrict place A you should also restrict place B.

In WvW… you’re doing things in a way I think is intended. That sounds fine to me. In your example for Karka.. People who show up for the second phase at the last 10% often don’t get a reward at all.. because there is a mechanic in place (not a great one) to check to see if you “did the content”… you need to do a certain amount of damage to the Karka to be rewarded. I believe a similar check should be put in place for JP’s. Do the content.. get rewarded. Skip the content (showing up at the end of a world boss… you get nothing.. JPs.. park at the end or portal to the end… you get nothing).

Slow down and smell the pixels.

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

Jumping puzzle are awesome, and they should be more rewarding,
(…)
REWARDS:
should give decent amount of gold / T5/6 material /

When I do jumping puzzles than only because they are fun for me, or I want to help some friends (with my mesmer), that have problems doing them.

For me that is rewarding enough. I do not need more gold as reward to do jumping puzzles more often.

Greetings.

callidus.7085

You can already see what the newest JP has in store for us. You can’t park your character at the end of the newest JP and you can’t take a portal there. Go figure.

And as far as rewards go, it’s not worth doing more than once.

Which is why this proposal exists. The new direction is good… but it’s lacking in rewards. The proposal is to make all JPs like that, but increase the rewards… because although fun, other content is also fun and rewarding (well.. for me.. dungeons are fun and rewarding.. fractals are fun and rewarding.. world bosses are eh.. but very rewarding).

I also wouldn’t advocate a flat reward for all… They should have rewards equal to their difficulty. As it stands it’s a flat rate for all even though there are some pretty difficult ones and ones that are much more time consuming (Skipping Stones, Aetherblade, Scavenger’s Chasm, and Retrospective Runaround being the longest at the moment).

callidus.7085

Jumping puzzle are awesome, and they should be more rewarding,
(…)
REWARDS:
should give decent amount of gold / T5/6 material /

When I do jumping puzzles than only because they are fun for me, or I want to help some friends (with my mesmer), that have problems doing them.

For me that is rewarding enough. I do not need more gold as reward to do jumping puzzles more often.

Greetings.

The problem I have is that I enjoy almost everything in the game. Not everything in the game is equally rewarding though… So.. why do jumping puzzles.. which are fun.. when I can run dungeons which are also fun? or run fractals? or pvp? there are tracks there that give me quite a bit of stuff… Mini dungeons too for that matter… those are fun. Why do them more than once when I can have fun doing everything else AND get rewarded? You could say… well.. Jumping puzzles and mini dungeons are more relaxing perhaps… so is silverwastes and much more rewarding. So are world bosses and much more rewarding. So is everything and much more rewarding.. so is MAP COMPLETION and MUCH MORE REWARDING. Get it? I complete an 80 map.. I get an exotic. I complete every jumping puzzle in the game in a day… I get a bunch of blues and greens.

Equal rewards for equal effort so that all things are both fun and rewarding.

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

NO to nerfing mesmers, which is what this is really about.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Parking alts at chests harms the puzzle rewards so it harms everyone. Parking alts and portals is one of the reasons JP rewards are so low, they can’t increase the rewards if parking and portals are still used to skip them.

• You are assuming they WANT to increase puzzle rewards…show proof with a quote.

There was a discussion a long time ago about Jumping Puzzle rewards and got a dev response that they actually want to increase the rewards of JPs. The question of “parking” came up multiple times in that thread. They DO want to make JPs more rewarding.

• If rewards were reduced (example), only those that seek the rewards are “harmed”, not everyone. Your assumption that increasing the rewards would benefit everyone is not a true statement.

My actual suggestion was to keep both systems. Increased rewards for those who run the “new” puzzles and the same rewards for those who run them with portals/parking. Keeps everyone happy and benefits everyone. The current system benefits only those who park characters, my system will benefit everyone, so the statement is true.

• JP Rewards have never been “lowered” (only Ascended materials added). Your assumption that they are “low” is a personal opinion (tho I DO agree with that opinion).

It’s not an opinion. JPs have low rewards compared to anything else, if you base it on time required and even skilled / complexity. Even among JPs there is a huge problems with reward as the difficulty of the puzzles doesn’t play any role in the rewards.

• If they truly want to reward the actual JP accomplishment itself, there are already triggers in place to identify start and end of a JP (evidenced when Daily JP was a thing). They could easily add a bouncy chest for DOING the JP…..IF THEY WANTED TO.

Since they DO want but they are not doing it, there is a problem here. Maybe it’s not as easy as you think it is.

Rather than trying to “solve” this issue with a poorly thought out solution, why not just ask for an increase in rewards for actually doing the puzzle?

Because that’s what I did? Increase the rewards for actually doing the puzzle, and still reward those who park / use portal same way as now. Win-win for everyone. I disagree with the OP who wants to limit JP rewards only to those who run them, my own suggestion was to keep BOTH players happy at the same time. How is that poorly thought out?

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Keep JP as they are. Add a bonus chest for those players that dont use mesmer portal.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

@maddoctor – Your entire argument is based on your CLAIM that Devs want JP rewards increased. Again, find the thread and post a link, because frankly, I feel you are “remembering” what you want with Bias toward this proposal and are unable to provide ANY proof this is something even on the Dev radar.

I’m not saying it shouldn’t be or that you don’t have a right to ask about them doing it, but making the assumption that it IS a “thing” wth the Devs may be slightly self-delusional on your part.

I still stand by my statement that increasing rewards will NOT benefit EVERYONE (only those that do the JPs) and the current situation HARMS no players. Could JP rewards and participation be improved? Certainly, but don’t promote your proposal with hyperbole and twisted logic.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Well if they improve reward, I would do them again.
But mostly I would park my alts in jumping puzzles if they dont implement that token reward…
Or they could do this: If you disconnect in jumping puzzle, when you get back in the game you will be teleported in front of the jumping puzzle.

because that is already working out so well for events …

Posted by: eithinan.9841

eithinan.9841

Add in check points through out the puzzle you need to channel with f for a half a second for a hard mode you activate with the earlier mentioned npc. Mesmers can keep their ports with the token.

Keep chest the same for mesmer ports without the token.