Making Legendary Weapons Truly Legendary

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: WindFall.1479

WindFall.1479

If I’m going to spend thousands of gold and hundreds of hours crafting or buying materials for a legendary weapon, I would like it to do more than shooting out unicorns or making your feet poop out the night sky.

I wish legendary weapons would go one step further and change our weapon skills. They would have the same exact mechanical function as their normal weapon counterparts but does them in an entirely different manner.

Let’s say that a legendary rifle is something akin to the portal gun and an engineer uses it. The skills (and their artwork on the HUD) would be replaced like this:

1. Phase Beam: Fire a quick laser round that pierces targets.
  2. Stasis Ball: Fire a stasis ball that immobilizes your target.
  3. Crackling Glass: Create a mirror that shatters in front of you, causing more damage the closer you are to foes.
  4. Little Nuke: Fire an atomic bomb that detonates and launches your foe as you fall backward and cures immobilized, crippled, and chilled.
  5. Personal Black Hole: Create a black hole that damages nearby targets and enter inside it, reappearing at your target.

Hopefully the particle effects won’t be more distracting than the original weapon skills.

Chances are that something like this is woefully impractical, but I was never impressed with the effects of current legendary weapons. I mean, I’m okay with that since that frees my conscience to spend resources on gems, but I always hoped those weapons did more.

Posted by: J envy.5270

J envy.5270

Gudlck, keep dreaming, or go play WoW if you want that. Legendaries in gw2 does not make you better than others, its only a weapon skin.

GW veteran player 2005-present
5 legenadries, 0 credit cards used.

Kamote
Guild Wars Vet since 05
multi-class all game modes

Posted by: WindFall.1479

WindFall.1479

Legendaries in gw2 does not make you better than others, its only a weapon skin.

Oh that’s nice, since I wasn’t even talking about that. I’m saying those weapon skills do exactly the same function with exactly the same damage output, how the avatars visually perform those skills would look different, going beyond projectile visuals and footstep effects.

But you know… reading is hard. I understand.

Posted by: Cazamar.7148

Cazamar.7148

You have totally missed the point of legendary weapons in GW2.

Posted by: LucosTheDutch.4819

LucosTheDutch.4819

Gudlck, keep dreaming, or go play WoW if you want that. Legendaries in gw2 does not make you better than others, its only a weapon skin.

I hate it when people pull this "go play WoW’ nonsense. Has any of you ever even played WoW? If you have then you’d know that the legendary weapons in WoW are nothing like what the OP suggest either.

Lets just make proper arguments why the OP’s idea would or wouldn’t work and leave the “go play WoW” crap out of it from now on, shall we?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It seems like an idea, though, just like with the bows that shoot rainbows, those characters that wish to use a rifle might not care for laser beams and black holes.

Good luck with the suggestion, though…variety is always good.

Oh! Maybe the new Legendaries will appease your aesthetics more. =)

Posted by: Izaya.2906

Izaya.2906

Legendaries in gw2 does not make you better than others, its only a weapon skin.

Oh that’s nice, since I wasn’t even talking about that. I’m saying those weapon skills do exactly the same function with exactly the same damage output, how the avatars visually perform those skills would look different, going beyond projectile visuals and footstep effects.

But you know… reading is hard. I understand.

You should explain it clearly that it does exactly the same thing as the normal rifle skill set except with different animations!

/sarcasm

Posted by: Unforgiven Azrael.6203

Unforgiven Azrael.6203

That sounds awful, plus many legendaries already give different skill effects when used, ie. Frostfang or the Hunter having a special animation on crits

Posted by: J envy.5270

J envy.5270

I hate it when people pull this "go play WoW’ nonsense. Has any of you ever even played WoW? If you have then you’d know that the legendary weapons in WoW are nothing like what the OP suggest either.

Lets just make proper arguments why the OP’s idea would or wouldn’t work and leave the “go play WoW” crap out of it from now on, shall we?

I played WoW since burning crusade until cataclysm, i know what im talking about but the OP is dreaming so hard its the closest i can compare it too.

Too OP, i may have misunderstood what you wanted after reading it the first time around for 3 seconds, but after reading it again, still, keep dreaming, what you want wont happen.

Kamote
Guild Wars Vet since 05
multi-class all game modes

(edited by J envy.5270)

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

The ability to freely set any sigil (just like stats) would be good enough.

Right now, legendary stat changing is actually pointless, making them less than legendary

Posted by: Aenesthesia.1697

Aenesthesia.1697

You have totally missed the point of legendary weapons in GW2.

You have totally not read the op.

Posted by: met.9653

met.9653

I like this idea, changing animation of weapon skills for something different. Knowing anet this will never happen, they got big problems to fix current legendary effects, making complete new set of animation/effects is to much for them.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

well, I see no reason to bash OP here. In general, it is not such a silly idea to set those items more apart from the usual gear. But there really is a misunderstanding regarding how items, skills and classes are tied together in this game on his part.

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

In other words, change the name and appearance of each skill but their stats and the animation will remain identical? I can see this being plausible though this can cause a minor bit of confusion amongst players. Though what I may add may be off-topic, but I think it’s time Legendary weps/precursors have their own flavor text.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

it sounds to me like you’re comparing a legendary weapon skin in GW2 to a legendary champion skin in league of legends, to be honest.

A legendary weapon skin in Guild Wars is a status symbol and sign of a lot of time/money invested in to an account. A legendary champion skin in league of legends (I own all and play a lot of league with a lot of money invested in to it, by the way, so it’s not an insult to league) is simply a redesign of a champion’s base texture and particles with a new voice over and nothing more than a sign you’ve put at least $15 towards the game at some point

The legendary weapon skins are instantly recognisable, make you stand out from the crowd and are unique to only that weapon, this is what gives them their legendary status, and it’s a job they do very well

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

(edited by rapthorne.7345)

Posted by: Red Queen.7915

Red Queen.7915

Let’s say this happens and people do get confused…
If I played this game (and my classes) for enough time to get a legendary weapon, and if I am unable to see that legendary longbow #2 does, mechanically speaking, the exact same thing as normal longbow #2, it’s not the “confusing new skill description” that is the problem…

That said, I guess it would be a nice bit of flavour to add to special weapons, but it might not be that easy with some weapon types. Guns are easy – just make the legendary one a magical gun and go nuts with “arcane energy beams”. But a sword? A longbow? How does one make a sword do things other than “slash and stab the unfriendlies”? Does the longbow get a “Turn your enemy into a pincushion” #2 skill description?
…actually, I’d take that one, please…

Point is, it’d be a cool gimmick, but difficult to do without making it seem really weird and outlandish for most weapons, and I’d rather they put that time into making some more skins that are actually obtainable in-game instead of the gem shop.

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

I think a lot of people didn’t understand what WindFall meant, maybe because not everybody is supposed to know what the engineer’s weapon skills are.

@WindFall: that’s a pretty dope idea! The particular example you gave is not very appealing since the current legendary rifle is already sic-fi based, but I’m all in favor of more animations on skills.

Currently, the Predator affects every shot with a specific sound and effect and even Grenade Barrage gets its own animation! But the animations still have the feeling of being profession-based. There is a lot of coding underneath the current Legendaries, and changing the animation for every skill, while changing the description as well would require a tremendous amount of work. In addition, learning these animation for unranked/WvW would be a bit annoying, especially if they are too flashy. But I hope Anet added cool effects to the new Legendaries, and I look forward to seeing what they look like, since I’m not really into the old ones.

Posted by: Varrg.2704

Varrg.2704

thanks to people like you, this game will forever remain crap.

Posted by: Nafeasonto.8925

Nafeasonto.8925

Let’s say this happens and people do get confused…
If I played this game (and my classes) for enough time to get a legendary weapon, and if I am unable to see that legendary longbow #2 does, mechanically speaking, the exact same thing as normal longbow #2, it’s not the “confusing new skill description” that is the problem…

That said, I guess it would be a nice bit of flavour to add to special weapons, but it might not be that easy with some weapon types. Guns are easy – just make the legendary one a magical gun and go nuts with “arcane energy beams”. But a sword? A longbow? How does one make a sword do things other than “slash and stab the unfriendlies”? Does the longbow get a “Turn your enemy into a pincushion” #2 skill description?
…actually, I’d take that one, please…

Point is, it’d be a cool gimmick, but difficult to do without making it seem really weird and outlandish for most weapons, and I’d rather they put that time into making some more skins that are actually obtainable in-game instead of the gem shop.

No it’s called being a good developer and balancing your game to the content. YOu are just used to this horrible horizontal progression.

Posted by: Ragion.2831

Ragion.2831

I vaguely remember making a suggestion on the legendary system which was pretty much just like what they announced, wow they actually took it seriously.