Making Players Feel Stupid is Bad Business

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I knew fully well what the reward would be. I’m providing the suggestion to remove them or increase them since, at least for me, it was like saying, “Good dog…let me throw you a rotten bone”. I would have been more content just finishing the collection. I didn’t need a reminder that I just contributed to a huge gold sink.

Nothing you’re saying makes any sense.

I am reading out of this: “ANet gave me the ability to get a minor reward out of something I don’t have to do or really have any reason to do, but can if I kinda want to.”

“Because this thing existed I am compelled to do it, and that compulsion cost 30 gold to fulfill.”

“I knew it wasn’t worth 30 gold to do, but I did it anyway. I knew the reward would be insignificant but when I got it I felt insulted.”

“I want ANet to stop insulting me for things I can’t stop myself from doing.”

Am I misunderstanding you? Because what you should actually be getting out of this is: “This is a minor reward you can get if you happen to complete it throughout your playing the game. You don’t have to complete it, but if you do we want to acknowledge that with this small favor. We hope you enjoyed it.”

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

Thanks. Maybe that’s the source of frustration…feeling forced to go the TP….just to do a collection…just to find something unrewarding to do during the “lull and hype” that happens between xpacs in every game. If I go after Gaze, I’ll try to remember that.

The point is that collections are meant to be fun. Some people really like grinding out tasks, others like to passively complete them. You can spend 30 gold on large skulls, or you can take my and several others suggestions to spend a few minutes per play session killing grawl.

I wouldn’t call this time a lull. I play several hours per day and still haven’t finished the new content (specifically silverwastes). I’ve got a backlog of things I want to complete before setting foot into the new map. The great thing about this game is you really get to decide how you want to approach things. Hopefully this collection will be a lesson for you to start approaching your goals differently; to do a little more research into how you want to obtain materials before blowing your gold on them.

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

I knew fully well what the reward would be. I’m providing the suggestion to remove them or increase them since, at least for me, it was like saying, “Good dog…let me throw you a rotten bone”. I would have been more content just finishing the collection. I didn’t need a reminder that I just contributed to a huge gold sink.

Nothing you’re saying makes any sense.

I am reading out of this: “ANet gave me the ability to get a minor reward out of something I don’t have to do or really have any reason to do, but can if I kinda want to.”

“Because this thing existed I am compelled to do it, and that compulsion cost 30 gold to fulfill.”

“I knew it wasn’t worth 30 gold to do, but I did it anyway. I knew the reward would be insignificant but when I got it I felt insulted.”

“I want ANet to stop insulting me for things I can’t stop myself from doing.”

Am I misunderstanding you? Because what you should actually be getting out of this is: “This is a minor reward you can get if you happen to complete it throughout your playing the game. You don’t have to complete it, but if you do we want to acknowledge that with this small favor. We hope you enjoyed it.”

^This about sums it up.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

Sigh I grew up playing games where playing was the reward. You played the game to beat it and if you wanted to, you could collect 100% or beat the game with a high ranking. You didn’t get achievements, you didn’t get points, you didn’t get anything except the satisfaction of having done so.

How does this tie in? Let me be clear. Nothing is locked by those weapon collections. No one made you do it. If you are a player who values 100% item unlocks, then that feature is for you. If you’re not, then stay away from it.

I have friends that collect every single mini-pet. I couldn’t care less. I buy the ones I like only. These collections, much like all the achievements in this game, are optional.

The bottom line is that you shouldn’t do things you hate for some AP or a completion. If you hate collecting items, don’t collect them just because it’s available. It likely isn’t there for you.

Sorry for the ranty post but seems like so many posts come from the perspective of “X sucks because I don’t enjoy doing it.” Not all content is enjoyable for all players and that’s ok. It’s crazy that people suffer through the festival content just for the AP. Some players enjoy it and that’s cool. If you don’t enjoy it, don’t play it….

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur