Making the "Electromagnetic Ascender" better

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Eleandra.4859

Eleandra.4859

Dear ArenaNet Team,
during the sale a few weeks ago I purchased the “Electromagnetic Ascender” toy for my tempest. Basically I am very happy with the idea of that toy, especially because it fits the theme of “levitating Archmage” I had in mind for that character’s theme.

However there is one point to the toy that I feel could increase the style of it manyfold:

The toy effect itself is very nice but the caracter’s inclination ruins the effect.
If the character’s inclination could be altered in such a way that the character is more vertical I think it would much more be like a “levitating mage” highlighting his/her power over the elements of nature and magic instead of a “statically charged mage falling over”. The effect would be altogether more impressive.

I am not sure if I am the only one feeling this way but perhaps others shre my opinion or do not agree with me.
Whatever you think about this please feel free to add to this thread in a civil manner.

Here are two pictures to hopefully explain what I mean:

The first picture shows my tempest from the side, not very impressive. Forever doomed to run into walls because she can only see the ground in front of her or living with a stiff neck ^.^

The second picture shows her from the front in worm’s-eye view. From this perspective the look is roughly as I envision it.

Best regards.

P.S.: I am aware of the fact that this character is slightly laden with particle effects and I understand that this is not to everyone’s taste but this is not the topic of this tread so please refrain from derailing it.

Attachments:

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

It’s an ascender not a levitater (lol). Hurling oneself standing upright through the air does not look like gliding. My 2c

Eleandra.4859

I (obviously) do not think you are right. As backup for my point of view I want to bring the definition of the terms “ascent” and “levitate”. Even though the “Electromagnetic Ascender” is named as such it is clearly a levitation device:

ascent [uh-sent]

1. an act of ascending; upward movement; a rising movement: the ascent of a balloon.
2. movement upward from a lower to a higher state, degree, grade, or status; advancement:
His ascent to the governorship came after a long political career.
3. the act of climbing or traveling up:
Three climbers attempted the ascent of Mount Rainier.
4. the way or means of ascending; upward slope; acclivity.
5. a movement or return toward a source or beginning.
6. the degree of inclination; gradient: a steep ascent.

source: http://www.dictionary.com/browse/ascent
————————————-
levitate [lev-i-teyt]

verb (used without object), levitated, levitating.

1. to rise or float in the air, especially as a result of a supernatural power that overcomes gravity.
verb (used with object), levitated, levitating.
2. to cause to rise or float in the air.

source: http://www.dictionary.com/browse/levitate

And just to perhaps explain my point better and stir your imagination:

http://wallpaperbeta.com/wallpaper/girl_mage_flame_orcs_battle_rocks_fantasy_hd-wallpaper-403537.jpg

(edited by Eleandra.4859)

CMM.6712

It is also a GLIDER. I have the glider, I like it the way it is, it looks like it should when I am gliding.

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

It is also a GLIDER. I have the glider, I like it the way it is, it looks like it should when I am gliding.

OP is talking about the toy, not the glider. There’s no reason they’d require the same character position.

~EW

CMM.6712

OP is talking about the toy, not the glider. There’s no reason they’d require the same character position.

~EW

So she is, I should have paid more attention.

Eleandra.4859

Yes indeed, I am talking about the toy not the glider.
That was a misunderstanding then. ^.^

CMM.6712

Yes indeed, I am talking about the toy not the glider.
That was a misunderstanding then. ^.^

My bad. Still my favorite glider skin

Eleandra.4859

Yes,
I like both the glider and the toy and I have both.
But levitating above ground or in front of a NPC looking at the ground in front of one’s feet looks a little silly unfortunately ^^
I agree that the pose is good for the glider but I hjope to convince Arenanet to chance the inclination of a character model using the toy.