Man-made loot from nature mobs

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Pure Heart.1456

Pure Heart.1456

…is completely and utterly kittened.
That a pink Moa or a Fresh Water Crab could somehow be hoarding an axe, gold coins or other man-made loot is ridiculous and breaks any immersion one might wish to find in a game.

As ‘yucky’ as I feel this is, I can’t see this changing any time soon. But could someone try and explain the mentality behind such a ‘design’ decision?

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

All mobs use the same loot table for most of their drops, with the exception of materials and trophies.

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Is this your first video game? GW2 isn’t trying to emulate real life. Most games aren’t. Cries of immersion breaking with regards to loot tables is just trolling.

~EW

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

WYSIWYG (“What you see is what you get”, i.e. enemies can only drop what they are carrying) is a loot system that works great in single player games. It is impossible to balance in multiplayer games (because they have economies) which is why they use loot tables that break your immersion.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

It’s just putting certain gameplay needs over flavor needs. If certain enemies drop certain types of loot, people would be farming the good ones and ignoring the bad ones. Since regular mobs don’t scale, people would be competing against each other for loot, which goes against the GW2 ethos.

It might be less immersive for a wolf to drop a dagger, but it’s not unusual. I have the occasional, “Hah, why did that DEER have BOOTS!” moment, but I prefer that to the alternative.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

“Why is that rabbit carrying money?” A question asked since the beginning of video games. Probably even longer.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: maxwelgm.4315

maxwelgm.4315

You might be surprised to realize that many real life animals do carry “man made loot” around, be it inside their digestive systems (naturally hurting and eventually killing them), or stuck on their bodies because they were swimming around some area with lots of trash.

Now, surely we wouldn’t expect to kill turtles IRL and carve whole pistols out of their stomachs, but the creatures in Tyria are profoundly different from their IRL inspirations, to the point a veteran wolf might actually be able to swallow an armor whole! (or at least digest it into some disgusting indistinguishable, but salvageable, garment)

This is certainly not immersion breaking: you might think that while carrying lots of bags around while dodging and jumping and gliding, some stuff is gonna fall off on the ground. The logical jump from there to animals eating that random stuff we occasionaly lose (specially very wild ones like trolls and savage rabid bunnies) is not a big one, if you can suspend your disbelief just enough to allow fantasy animals to be able to eat some gold coins.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

That a pink Moa or a Fresh Water Crab could somehow be hoarding an axe, gold coins or other man-made loot is ridiculous and breaks any immersion one might wish to find in a game.

As ‘yucky’ as I feel this is, I can’t see this changing any time soon. But could someone try and explain the mentality behind such a ‘design’ decision?

I think trying to reconcile all of GW2 mechanics to something in the ‘real world’ is an exercise in futility; one is bound to be disappointed with the results.

• ‘Mussels’ are considered in the same class as vegetables & spices for gathering. Tarragon & Vanilla drop from the exact same plant and Chili drops from that plant, instead of the vanilla, if in a different region.
  • Loot is never melted by the massive amounts of damage unleashed on foes.
  • A foe with 1 point of health does equal damage to like-foes with 100% health.
  • Some fires will cause ‘burning’; some won’t.
  • There isn’t any friendly fire: projectiles pass unhindered through allies, AoE damage is really “Area of Anti-Foe Effects,” and traps can’t be triggered by friends.
  • The same piece of armor can be worn by norn and asura alike.

In the context of other mechanics, of course moas will drop coins, axes, and even chest armor.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: HazyDaisy.4107

HazyDaisy.4107

Use the axe dropped by the crab to kill the tree that’s somehow walking around unrooted. You’d be suprised what that tree can hide in his branches.

Sorrows Furnace
[HaHa] Hazardous Hallucination

Posted by: lioka qiao.8734

lioka qiao.8734

When you realize why the rabbit was carrying a pistol after you killed it you’ll realize you did the countryside a huge favor.

/it probably gored some hapless bandit and ran off with the gun

Little red Lioka

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

When you realize why the rabbit was carrying a pistol after you killed it you’ll realize you did the countryside a huge favor.

That is why the bandits are always ready to kill anyone that passes by. It is all the bunnies fault.

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

That is why the bandits are always ready to kill anyone that passes by. It is all the bunnies fault.

And bunny ears just appeared on the Gem Store!!!

ANet why do you conspire with the bandits!?!?!?

~EW

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

This is not new or unique to GW2. It’s by no means universal in games but certainly very common.

If in doubt see: http://thenoobcomic.com/comic/24/ (From 2004, and a very common idea even before then.)

If it helps you could tell yourself they nicked someone else’s Hammerspace bag, ate the food and forgot about the other stuff.

Attachments:

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Artemid.3925

Artemid.3925

If it’s so melted as to be unusable, the game probably just doesn’t drop it. How do you know how many precursors YOU’VE melted on random mobs?

GW1 mobs would drop items and salvage stuff, but never armor, running by the same logic: “why does this moa have perfectly battle-ready plate mail, that magically fits every single person? That’s ridiculous!” and so you salvaged for materials and bought the rest to make every piece of armor. At the time, responding to hack and slash games and traditional MMO structure it felt nice, but honestly, unless you go ALL THE WAY and mobs are WYSIWYG, it’s just much better gameplay to have them drop everything.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Once I found out I could throw fire from my fingertips or have pistols/bows that never run out of ammunition I stopped worrying about whether or not a rabbit could have a set of leggings inside him.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Artemid.3925

Artemid.3925

bows that never run out of ammunition

Something else I’m glad that almost every game after Diablo II did away with.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

The Crab ate a Lumberjack.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: lioka qiao.8734

lioka qiao.8734

If it’s so melted as to be unusable, the game probably just doesn’t drop it. How do you know how many precursors YOU’VE melted on random mobs?

GW1 mobs would drop items and salvage stuff, but never armor, running by the same logic: “why does this moa have perfectly battle-ready plate mail, that magically fits every single person? That’s ridiculous!” and so you salvaged for materials and bought the rest to make every piece of armor. At the time, responding to hack and slash games and traditional MMO structure it felt nice, but honestly, unless you go ALL THE WAY and mobs are WYSIWYG, it’s just much better gameplay to have them drop everything.

That explains my lack of precursors. I so thoroughly destroy every creature i come across that they take the legendary with em to oblivion.

Little red Lioka

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

That explains my lack of precursors. I so thoroughly destroy every creature i come across that they take the legendary with em to oblivion.

Especially because I suspect the precursors may be more fragile than typical weapons. When I got The Lover bits kept falling off it! I was lucky to have any feathers left by the time I made The Dreamer!

Attachments:

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

If you were a cute fuzzy bunny and knew that swarms of random, “heroes,” were wandering the region just waiting for an opportunity to kill you, wouldnt you carry a gun too.

Logic son!

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

Those Moas and Crabs will eat anything!

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

The way I’ve looked at it in various MMO’s is to assume the creatures aren’t carrying the items but that in the course of the fight and the aftermath you come across something dropped and mostly buried in leaves or some such. No pistol on the bunny but maybe someone shoved one in the bunny’s burrow to hide it and then never got back for it. That sort of thing.