Map Completion and WvW

Map Completion and WvW

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Creld.8702

Creld.8702

Yes, I’m sure it’s been said plenty before, unfortunately I couldn’t find where or by who so I’ll just go ahead and say it here…

I don’t think world versus world should be required for map completion.

For me, the reasons are: I don’t have a computer that can handle wvw, my friends who I play with don’t have computers that can handle wvw, and I don’t find wvw entertaining. Now, if it was just run up and knock on the door of the forts/keeps/castles, I would happily suffer the humiliating lag-deaths that would ensue, but it’s actually taking the forts and then completing minor jumping puzzles that’s impossible for me. The badges, not as bad honestly. Just sit on siege weapons long enough, you’ll get the kills. However, the feats that require dexerity and a good internet connection are impossible (not that I dislike jumping puzzles in general, as long as I am not having lag/latency issues, they’re a rewarding challenge).

But no, when you sit for 30-45 minutes taking one fort with a random zerg of people, unable to do much but run back after dying or spend money on siege engines that also die for no apparent reason (until you check the combat log, that is), only to be stopped by a juvenile level jumping puzzle, it is extremely disheartening. Add in that your friends didn’t join you because they refuse to wade through the lag fest, and you just have a very, very sad time.

Please, think of the turtles. Because every time a panda gets sad, an octopus dies.

Asura Engineer- Aelara Fole

Map Completion and WvW

Posted by: Nibiru.1423

Nibiru.1423

I must admit my PC i built myself about 2 years ago and was then top of the range gear, but now it getting old. I have to play WvW on low settings. Its fine on High until im in a big fight and then its like 3 FPS

Magic Find + Common Sense + Consideration = Happy Party + Nice Loot

Map Completion and WvW

Posted by: hharry.1967

hharry.1967

Ya WvWvW Fps drops are out of this world, to avoid mentioning optimized worse than GTA 4. I get from 40 fps normally to 3-4 fps when a big zerg shows.

Map Completion and WvW

Posted by: Belphegor.7596

Belphegor.7596

i wish wvw was my problem to complete the map

Map Completion and WvW

Posted by: charmandah.4216

charmandah.4216

Have you tried turning down your graphics settings? I play on a laptop that I bought for school, and I still get about 20 fps in WvW.

Map Completion and WvW

Posted by: holotype.1643

holotype.1643

aside from the lag issues in WvW (this affects me too, and is one of the reasons I don’t enjoy WvW much), I strongly feel that map completion for WvW should be restricted to Eternal Battlegrounds and the home Borderlands only.

Requiring players to repeat the same mirrored map 2 more times is boring and frustrating. It offers no sense of exploration or accomplishment. Also, if you are on a weakly populated server or one that doesn’t do well in WvW, good luck getting some of those POI’s/vistas. It’s a system that punishes people just for picking a server.

I’ve gotten 100% world completion already but fully support removing opposing borderlands maps from the requirement, or just changing the WvW reqs in general for map completion.

Championing Blackgate since Aug. 25, 2012
[UV]

Map Completion and WvW

Posted by: Gab Superstar.4059

Gab Superstar.4059

Thread number 105239.

No, it will never happen OP.

Very Good Detectives [VGD]
Devonas Rest 4 lyfe

Map Completion and WvW

Posted by: Creld.8702

Creld.8702

Aye aye, sir Gab, I know it will likely never happen, but there is a small chance that someone will see this and think, “Ohey, this guy had this opinion, along with a bunch of others, maybe we should rethink this…”

As to computer/graphics settings, mine’s a 3 year old Asus laptop that was poorly conceived, as it lacked a major ventilation port, causing it to overheat several times, which nearly fried its graphics card. I do turn graphics all the way down, but I still don’t see the frame rate necessary to get completion.

Regardless, I’ve said my opinion, I can pray it might effect something, and recognize it likely won’t.

Asura Engineer- Aelara Fole

Map Completion and WvW

Posted by: critickitten.1498

critickitten.1498

It’s because they consider WvW to be “part” of the PvE world. Which it really shouldn’t be.

I definitely agree with you here.

Remember when our developers talked about “strengthening the core game”?
How’d that work out for us so far?
Now let’s try some ideas that will really work.

Map Completion and WvW

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

It wouldn’t break my heart at all if they ever decided to separate out the PvP and PvE map completions. They already have separate PvP and PvE dailies, so it makes sense to have two map completion categories: PvP and PvE. Both would be required for legendaries, of course, but if the map completions were separate, players could decide to do them both or just do the one they prefer. That way everyone could have a 100% of their choosing or go out and get both.

Map Completion and WvW

Posted by: PlagueParade.7942

PlagueParade.7942

Yea, I could see how lag issues could be a problem. Other than that no I wouldn’t agree to a separation. Map completion in wvw can be quite easy to do. Since last night I managed to finish off not 1 but 3 of the 4 maps and am nearly done with the 4th. Far as I can tell servers change areas we defend in every map at the weekly reset so in essence you should be able to complete wvw maps within a month, give or take, if you do just your area when the reset happens.

Map Completion and WvW

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

Question: Why do you need world completion? The only thing it gives you is an item required to craft legendaries…which require you to wvw to get badges of honor, so either way you’d have to wvw. Other than that world completion offers you nothing.

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

Map Completion and WvW

Posted by: Bullfrog.1324

Bullfrog.1324

Far as I can tell servers change areas we defend in every map at the weekly reset so in essence you should be able to complete wvw maps within a month, give or take, if you do just your area when the reset happens.

No, they do not. The color and borderlands that your server occupies are based on the server’s WvW ranking. I’m on Sorrow’s Furnace, and we have been green for weeks. We are 200 rating points behind the next server up (which we have to overtake to become red) and 100 points above the next server down (which we would have to fail to in order to become blue). Considering last week we only gained 12 points, and the server below us lost 30, Sorrow’s Furnace will not become a color other than green for quite some time.

This is one of the primary reasons people want only the home borderlands to count, or to at least make the server colors random every week.

I’d rather regret something I’d done than regret doing nothing.
[Profession Synonym] Lexxi [ANGL] – Tarnished Coast

Map Completion and WvW

Posted by: Lily Miranda.5407

Lily Miranda.5407

Removing WVW from map completion and PvE monthlys would be ideal, but if not, weekly color rotation would be massively welcome.

Map Completion and WvW

Posted by: Wayland.3528

Wayland.3528

Removing WVW from map completion and PvE monthlys would be ideal, but if not, weekly color rotation would be massively welcome.

That is my problem. I am at 99% missing a couple POIs and Vistas being held in Red. My server hasn’t been Red for a long time. It is frustrating.

Map Completion and WvW

Lily Miranda.5407

That is my problem. I am at 99% missing a couple POIs and Vistas being held in Red. My server hasn’t been Red for a long time. It is frustrating.

That’s my same problem too.

Map Completion and WvW

Posted by: achensherd.2735

achensherd.2735

Yeah… whereas Map Completion in PvE is a fairly consistent (if tedious) endeavor, in WvW it can range from being a cakewalk when your server holds the points you need, to nigh-impossible when the points you need are deep in an enemy Borderland patrolled by zergs. There were a few times I bit the bullet and infiltrated an enemy Borderland (that’s mostly or completely controlled by them) to get some points, sometimes successfully either because I remained undiscovered or because I managed to defeat or push back my attackers, and sometimes I got swarmed. Although I probably won’t care to do it again for any of my alts, it was at times a very, very thrilling experience.

Map Completion and WvW

Lily Miranda.5407

Question: Why do you need world completion? The only thing it gives you is an item required to craft legendaries…

I think you may have answered your own question.

Although some of us want to do it just because seeing that 100% is ever so satisfying.

Map Completion and WvW

Posted by: Delryn.7235

Delryn.7235

I’ve finished map completion but I also agree that WvW has no business in map completion. Especially with paid transfers coming in.

Out of all the people who also did map completion that I know at least 90% of them did by switching to a better server because their server simply wasn’t doing too good in WvW and thus it was simply impossible to complete the WvW maps.

This system does indeed penalize people for being on weaker WvW servers, while it rewards those who are already in strong WvW servers or transferred to be in them.

I myself simply would not have been able to finish map completion at all unless I switched servers, now that server transfer will be paid I can’t help but feel really really bad for the people who could not take advantage of free transfers.

A LOT of people in a lot of servers will simply have to give up on the idea of map completion all together or pay money to get it.

Map Completion and WvW

Posted by: PlagueParade.7942

PlagueParade.7942

And thus their diabolical plan has come into fruition more money from customer base due to transfers…. =oP

Serious note:

Seemed to have forgotten about the color thing. I doubt they would take it out but perchance they could make it where servers get rotated weekly b/n the 3 bases rather than being rotated to said color due to your server rank.

Map Completion and WvW

Posted by: TobyTucker.5317

TobyTucker.5317

Question: Why do you need world completion? The only thing it gives you is an item required to craft legendaries…which require you to wvw to get badges of honor, so either way you’d have to wvw. Other than that world completion offers you nothing.

I’m sure that there are a good number of people who look at 100% Map Completion as a worthwhile goal in and of itself. Just because you dismiss it as a goal doesn’t mean others do.

Totally agree. I was able to get completion but only due to factors totally out of my control. First, I benefited from a reset and color change. If you’re on a server that fares poorly in WvW, you could wait a LONG time before the same happens to you. Secondly, I happened to be in a zerg that was simply wiping the map of all opposition, which happily took me to the few remaining points I couldn’t get to individually. If this doesn’t happen for you, getting to those few remaining points you’re missing will probably be terribly frustrating.

This illustrates what’s basically wrong with the present setup. Your ability to achieve your goal is not based on your skill but on circumstances beyond your control. This puts some players at a severe disadvantage.

It wouldn’t break my heart at all if they ever decided to separate out the PvP and PvE map completions. They already have separate PvP and PvE dailies, so it makes sense to have two map completion categories: PvP and PvE. Both would be required for legendaries, of course, but if the map completions were separate, players could decide to do them both or just do the one they prefer. That way everyone could have a 100% of their choosing or go out and get both.

I said the same thing on a previous thread, and guess what? I still think it’s a great idea.

Map Completion and WvW

Posted by: Paradox Xion.1038

Paradox Xion.1038

I have to agree that something has to be done about this situation. As things are right now, players on servers that are serverely outmanned will never be able to finish map completion. Having to participate in WvW to get 100% mapping is absurd. I am being punished because my server has a lower population of WvW players and cant control the map. So to get map completion Ill have leave my guild and my friends and switch to another server? Thats not right.

Map Completion and WvW

Posted by: Pod.2769

Pod.2769

I have to agree that something has to be done about this situation. As things are right now, players on servers that are serverely outmanned will never be able to finish map completion. Having to participate in WvW to get 100% mapping is absurd. I am being punished because my server has a lower population of WvW players and cant control the map. So to get map completion Ill have leave my guild and my friends and switch to another server? Thats not right.

But now you can pay for the privilege. Isn’t that better?

I agree, it’s a bothersome bother. If we can guest onto other servers and go into WvW ‘Havent read up on that’ then i take back my snarky remarks because then it’s much better than what we have now.

Map Completion and WvW

Posted by: TorQ.7041

TorQ.7041

I completely agree, I just need 2 to finish my legendary, after grinding for months on end to get every thing possible. I am rewarded by a vista that is inside the enemy’s main base that is in no way possible to get to.

Since how often is a top server able to wipe out the entire camp on eb? pretty much never

I have been on Jade quarry for long time and I know for sure sea of sorrows or santum of rall will never let JQ take their final main base.

Every time I tired for hours on end. They will all rally there to defend and I would ultimately fail.

I feel like area net made it cost so much because they want us to buy gems, since I work in real life there is no way I can make 1800 gems worth of gold in game to transfer server.

and If i want to transfer back, I would have to pay that same amount.

good job anet, nice trying trying to rob our money. well I give in, I’ve been a dedicted gw2 fan since the start. but this is how I am reward for grinding hundreds of hours for your end game legendary? that sucks. I d rather go play starcraft and I will. goodbye gw2.

Map Completion and WvW

Posted by: Kimyrielle.3826

Kimyrielle.3826

@Pod: No, you can’t go into WvW for a server you’re a guest on. Preventing exactly that was -the- main reason for implementing the guesting feature in the first place.

In the end, the only reason this issue wasn’t super-pressing in the past was the free transfers that let you circumvent this broken game mechanic that is WvW mapping by just hopping to a server that owned the places you were missing. With those free transfers now gone, I guess map completion has basically become a Mission Impossible for many new characters/players.

Tarnished Coast

Map Completion and WvW

Posted by: Fiddlestyx.9714

Fiddlestyx.9714

Because you get a gold star by your name.

I’m at 95%, my server never has control of the points I need and possibly never will.

Map Completion and WvW

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I’ve been saying this for a while. It’s a good idea that should please players who prefer PvE only and ones who prefer WvW only. Giving players things to do is never a bad idea in an MMO.

Map Completion and WvW

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Agree with OP on this one. WvW should not be part of map completion.

Map Completion and WvW

Posted by: Ferum Flamebender.5910

Ferum Flamebender.5910

Yea WvW is annoying.
I went in the borderlands to explore them but ended up ‘wasting’ 3 weeks striking around with my own striketeam and storming towers and keeps with my self build zerg :p

Aetra Ironbender, Rated E for Engineer- [WoT] Warlocks of Tyria- Far Shiverpeaks