Map Completion and WvWvW...why force PVP on us to complete PVE?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Angelus.1042

Angelus.1042

Anyone else here on a not so stellar server (as far as WvW is concerned) notice that it is a horrible pain to get the WvWvW part of World Completion? Its very rare that stonemist is open or all POI locations in forts are available to get…

I am going to be stuck on the WvWvW part forever lol…which is not cool.

I really feel they should remove WvWvW from world completion as imo WvWvW has nothing to do with the main game world anyways. Also this is kind of forcing many non pvp people (those who do PVE only) into a pvp environment that they dont enjoy or may feel uncomfortable with..

Or at least give it its own completion achievement under the PVP category….

Posted by: Sciva.4865

Sciva.4865

Then someone who only does WvW could come along and say that doing PVE side of map completion is unfair. It’s fine anyway, it rewards people who actually enjoy all the aspects of the game.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I suspect they did it specifically to encourage PVE only players into WvW.

PVP has always been a big part of Guild Wars (hence the name, eve though there is no actual GvG in this game yet) so they probably wanted to give people a reason to at least go to the map and ideally try it out because they might find they enjoy it.

I’d suggest either getting a group of players together who all want to do it (your guild is probably the best place to look) and then going in together so you can storm the forts together, or take advantage of the free server transferes to switch to one where those parts are accessible, then switching back.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: MajorMelchett.6042

MajorMelchett.6042

So you don’t want to do 100% of the game, yet you want the achievement for doing 100% of the game.

The PVP area is part of the world and as such if you want the 100% world completion you have to do it, if you don’t then you haven’t been to 100% of the world.

Zilori: Guardian – Desolation.
Zarturo: Elemental – Desolation.

Posted by: Krimpton.4879

Krimpton.4879

Thats strange when i press ’’M’’ to look at the ‘’world map’’ i don’t see an area labeled Eternal battleground or any of the other areas in the WvW map..

Guess you must have a different ‘’World Map’’ to the rest of us..

I agree with the OP achievments for ‘’World Map’’ shouldnt include the PvP areas because quite simply THEY ARE NOT ON THE WORLD MAP…

Posted by: dronzer.8392

dronzer.8392

I agree with the OP and Krimpton, I don’t enjoy WvWvW , whilst I would like to get 100% , I think i’m sitting at 96% right now or something like that – I’ve just accepted that it won’t reach 100% .
I don’t think it’s really “encouarging the player” but more forcing them – it’s a statement – “if you want 100% , you HAVE to do this”.

Give the PvP and PvE world completion their own achievements, plus I still don’t get why there is POI’s, Vistas etc are even in WvWvW ? most areas you have to venture into enemy controlled areas and in some cases the POI is not accessible until the wall is breached or if your server controls that town/castle/blah.

Posted by: Corvindi.5734

Corvindi.5734

As someone who comes from a high queue server, I support your right to have map completion without coming into WvW!

“…we don’t expect you to be forced into dungeons at endgame.”

~ArenaNet

Angelus.1042

I have nothing against WvWvW honestly…I know GW is about PVP after playing GW for 5 years… Maybe they should move the POI’s in WvWvW to just outside the fort? Or make it where you can activate the POI’s if you get near the gate.

World completion still is fine or whatever…I was just thinking WvWvW would fall under some sort of PVP completion while the PVE map falls under normal completion

Angelus.1042

Then someone who only does WvW could come along and say that doing PVE side of map completion is unfair. It’s fine anyway, it rewards people who actually enjoy all the aspects of the game.

OR make WvWvW fall under a PVP world completion and PVE fall under its world completion

:)

Posted by: Razgriz.7319

Razgriz.7319

If you want to get technical about it and delve into the lore, WvW and sPvP actually take place in the Mists. The Mists is the fabric that binds worlds together through space and time. It’s every bit a part of the world as the rest of the “world map”. Even more so in ways.

~ 80 Elementalist

Posted by: Max Castle.6173

Max Castle.6173

A better solution would be to just make all the POIs and Vistas reachable without having to cap the keep or tower. yes some vistas would have to be moved.

Flag
[DSL]
30/30/30/30/30 Memer

Posted by: Lance Coolee.9480

Lance Coolee.9480

So you don’t want to do 100% of the game, yet you want the achievement for doing 100% of the game.

The PVP area is part of the world and as such if you want the 100% world completion you have to do it, if you don’t then you haven’t been to 100% of the world.

Maybe you should visit a server that never gets WvW control. Do we really want to advocate server xfers just for map completion? That feels shallow.

“GW2 takes everything you love about GW1” – M. O’Brien
“We just don’t want players to grind in GW2” – C. Johanson
“The most important thing in any game should be the player” – R. Soesbee

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

It would be different if pvp ever happened in the actual world of Tyria. I can see the point of it being extra, just a tack-on to the game.

But WvW is sposed to work with a match up system, so in principle your server will face even matches most of the time, once the system reaches a stable equilibrium. If you truly suck at it, eventually you’ll be facing the 2 other worst servers, and hopefully can make your way to the pois.

Posted by: Sunny Side.7960

Sunny Side.7960

I was about to make a thread about pretty much this. I’m after a legendary weapon and to get one you need 100% map completion and 500 badges.

I managed map completion by switching server but the badges i really hate. I found that doing the jumping puzzles gets you badges but for the last 2 days i can’t do them because idiots from the opposing servers still gank you even when you just trying to finish the puzzle. Pvp is forced and its makes me want to rage quit.

Posted by: UntamedLoli.2978

UntamedLoli.2978

I really don’t feel that exploration even has a place in WvWvW. Same goes for any of the other meaningless content that has little to no bearing on the battle like the Grub. It’s just distracting everyone from doing whats needed.

Posted by: Sarisa.4731

Sarisa.4731

On top of the frustration of PvP in a nearly completely PvE aspect (7% vs. 93%) of the game.

And, on top of the frustration of being in bad pairings, and constantly being the third tier. Along with not always rotating colours (to help you get some of the ones you missed).

You have explorers taking a limited and valuable spot in the WvW maps, and given that many servers have massive queues (my server peaking at over 400 in queue at once…), that is a horrible proposition.

I know when I did my two character’s exploration (by swapping to a low queue, winning server), I did participate a bit in small fights, but I would go out of my way to avoid the large ones because it’s not something I enjoy. I felt bad about not really helping, but I simply wanted to get the WvW exploration nonsense over with.

An explorer should not waste a spot that someone who really wants to do WvW could use.

Lille of the Valley [WHIP]

Posted by: Untouch.2541

Untouch.2541

I don’t know why the zones even have POIs, skillpoints and vistas.

Really, people go in to get these points and take up spots for others.

Posted by: Pawlegance.7012

Pawlegance.7012

It’s the other way around too. Please keep PvE oriented players away from WvW. No offense, but they use slots for things that don’t help their team at all. If you want to create a PvX-esque feel with WvW, add more maps and turn WvW into a PVP server.

Posted by: fingis.2867

fingis.2867

finish you exploration at 3am in the morning, they have a graph somewhere showing queue times, queue when it says no one else is on.

Posted by: Cancer.9065

Cancer.9065

+1 on WvW not being part of the map completion achievement and I do play WvW at least for monthly achievements, mostly on slow days).

I have about 35%. Getting groups together is not really that useful as many love to grief on this spots (especially SP) in large groups too,.

Also taking up spots in WvW from players that have a better chance of getting me Bonuses… not cool., at least when I’m there I buy a few arrow carts to help the war effort, don’t think many pve’rs do this.

Cancer is also a Zodiac sign.

Posted by: Attila.6348

Attila.6348

Guild Wars isn’t called “guild” wars for nothin’. Find yourself a guild that can take at least a tower by themselves. Then, everything becomes easy.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I agree with the OP. The Mists is between worlds, and not part of the World Map. I don’t think it should be a part of the completion. As Untouch said, precious PvP slots are being taken up with people just shooting for map completion. I know I’ve been in just to tame a wolf (anyone know where else I can get one other than Eternal Battlegrounds?).

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: Sarisa.4731

Sarisa.4731

finish you exploration at 3am in the morning, they have a graph somewhere showing queue times, queue when it says no one else is on.

That doesn’t matter on some servers, especially those with high Asia/Pacific populations. There are queues reaching 50+ at all hours of the day and night.

Lille of the Valley [WHIP]

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Is the new trend in the forum, necroing months old threads? This is the 3rd I’ve seen in as many days.

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

I wish there were more people in the world willing to stand up to a challenge instead of attempting to whine their way out of having to do it.

“You know what wakes me up in the middle of the night covered in a cold sweat? Knowing that you aren’t any worse than anyone else in your whole screwed up generation. In the old days, you know how you got to the top? Huh? By being better than the guy ahead of you. How do you people get to the top? By being so kittening incompetent, that the guy ahead of you can’t do his job, so he falls on his kitten and congratulations, you are now on top. And now the top is down here, it used to be up here… and you don’t even know the kittening difference.” – Victor Sr., “Go” (1999)

Posted by: Scar Rufo.7935

Scar Rufo.7935

haha, there are others like me that feel the same way but posting here only gets a few standard responses. One was just put in; the equivalent of “LTP noob”; the other is “why don’t you just quit”; and then there is the, “it’s just fine the ways it is” one. I used to care that I could not get the POI’s etc but now I do not care. The psychology at work is to learn to lower expectations from the game and the players. A legendary or even a medal on the log-in screen is not worth the stress. Good luck, and I hope you are able to do what you’d like to do.

Posted by: Justin.7163

Justin.7163

WvWvW being included in Map Completion is really kind of silly. I mean the Mists aren’t even technically part of the landmass of Tyria, right? So why should it count towards world completion. Currently my main character has all but one vista and one POI on Eternal Battlegrounds but I simply CANNOT get them because they are in the enemy’s home keep and unless I could somehow mass enough players together there’s no guarantee we’d be able to capture it. I basically have to hope that a) Our world eventually captures it and I’m online at the right time to go get them or b) next week my world’s color has changed to the keep in which the POI and vista are. So yeah, super frustrating.

Also, why have us complete the same freaking map three times! It’s horribly redundant.

(edited by Justin.7163)

Posted by: Moderator.9532

Moderator.9532

As this discussion has run it’s course and the content and mechanics of the game are under constant change, this discussion is closed.