"Map Full" solution idea

"Map Full" solution idea

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Hyble.4271

Hyble.4271

So, with HoT having map-wide events that (for now) require a high level of coordination, guilds are attempting to all join up on the same map to take down bosses like Chak Gerent or Mouth of Mordy. But we’re encountering the same old issue… maps fill quickly and people risk carpel tunnel doing the old right-click/join/OK/right-click/join/OK process.

What is the solution for this? A lot of ideas have been thrown around but I think I’ve got one that works pretty well with current systems.

Currently, when a map is emptying out, people get a prompt to move to another map, with some bonus stats as incentive. What if we did the same in reverse? If the game could detect when guildies are trying to get in a map with their other guildies, but the map is full, perhaps people not from that guild could get prompts to go to another map (with a stat bonus incentive)?

Guildies get to do events with guildies, and other people get bonuses for being nice. Thoughts?

"Map Full" solution idea

Posted by: Sorin.4310

Sorin.4310

Those are going to have to be quite the rewards to encourage someone to leave an organized HoT map.

"Map Full" solution idea

Posted by: Rayden.3695

Rayden.3695

Ok so you do a thing called a jump, how this works is as follows:

1. Get every single member who’s joining to WP into the map at the same time

2. Have a few people, like leaders, not jump for about a minute

What should happen is as follows, the people who WP’d should fill up the mostly full maps, which in turn will make the server create a brand new instance of that same map.

3. Have the few people who did not jump WP now and they should end up in the newly created, empty, map instance.

4. Taxi everyone in.

And ofc after you have taxied all your guildies in and tagged up a pug or two are gonna end up in the map, and they will use the LFG to fill the rest of the spots in the map.

"Map Full" solution idea

Posted by: Hyble.4271

Hyble.4271

Right, and… why exactly do we need such ridiculous workarounds to do events as a guild? There need to be better systems in place for a guild to work and play together in Guild Wars.

"Map Full" solution idea

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Since guilds can be as small as 1 person and not all guilds have the same people going to the same map as everyone, how do you define the point at which players get the message?

Number of people in a guild? Rarely have everyone from the same guild trying for the same map and that number includes players not representing the guild. A person in a large WvW guild only pops into Draganstand to try out the meta. Should the others get a pop up asking to move because a member of a large guild is trying to get into the map?

Number of concurrent guild members? What if two guilds come in at the same time in relatively the same amount of members. Which guild wins?

And how do you design this formula in such a way that it doesn’t slow down loading times as it tries to calculate which guilds you’re in so that it can pop up the move screen for others too much?

Too many variables that are impossible to control for this to be a feasible addition. On paper it does sound good, just not practical.

"Map Full" solution idea

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

Item for the gemstore. Stone of Spawning. Goes to your GH. Allows guild leaders to spawn separate shards of maps that are exclusive to the guild members.

"Map Full" solution idea

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

So, with HoT having map-wide events that (for now) require a high level of coordination, guilds are attempting to all join up on the same map to take down bosses like Chak Gerent or Mouth of Mordy. But we’re encountering the same old issue… maps fill quickly and people risk carpel tunnel doing the old right-click/join/OK/right-click/join/OK process.

What is the solution for this? A lot of ideas have been thrown around but I think I’ve got one that works pretty well with current systems.

Currently, when a map is emptying out, people get a prompt to move to another map, with some bonus stats as incentive. What if we did the same in reverse? If the game could detect when guildies are trying to get in a map with their other guildies, but the map is full, perhaps people not from that guild could get prompts to go to another map (with a stat bonus incentive)?

Guildies get to do events with guildies, and other people get bonuses for being nice. Thoughts?

So what happens when the map is filled by two large guilds of roughly the same size? Who gets booted out of the map? What about three guilds? Four? Five? Ten?

What about situations where a big guild is trying to get into a map, while only a few of their members are in it? And again, what would happen if another guild decides to join up? What if multiple guilds do?

And what about being able to complete the event at all? Should my ability to complete an event be negatively affected by some random guild who wants to do the same event?

And honestly, as a guildless person, I don’t like systems like this. Every player should be equal in the eyes of the game, regardless of whether they are in a guild or not. Regardless of how big the guild they are in is.

Don’t think for a moment that an existence of a system like this would not have negative consequences. A guild pops in, I don’t want to transfer over. With the system, the guild now knows that I am “not letting their people in”. I’d be pretty much guaranteed to get hateful whispers from that guild.

(edited by Olba.5376)

"Map Full" solution idea

Posted by: Rayden.3695

Rayden.3695

Right, and… why exactly do we need such ridiculous workarounds to do events as a guild? There need to be better systems in place for a guild to work and play together in Guild Wars.

It’s really not a ridiculous workaround, and not really that hard to do. Bigger guilds and bigger communities have been doing this stuff for ages, it’s just a matter of getting used to it.

And since I don’t see Anet putting a system in place to do the same thing, shall we say, officially, we have to make do with how the game handles masses of people entering the same map.

"Map Full" solution idea

Posted by: Koomaster.9176

Koomaster.9176

Guild missions already seem to be toying with the idea of creating a brand new instance just for the guild when normally these things just took place in the open world. So why not entire maps?

Just let a leader from the guild hall select a map and reserve an IP for the guild. The only people that can get into the map are those already in the guild hall and those that are taxi’ed into the map from people who get on the map.

After a certain time, open the map to everyone. Like say after 10 minutes if it’s not already full of the guild and people the guild has taxi’ed in; treat it like any normal map ip that has spawned.

"Map Full" solution idea

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

If the guild is being split up why not have the members all try joining the lesser populated maps instead of everyone trying to squeeze into the higher pop map?

Perhaps Anet could also add some sort of indicator on the map that shows roughly how full the map is. Similar to the server status.

"Map Full" solution idea

Posted by: Netko.9271

Netko.9271

Or just give guild options to create their own map. For example portal from guild hall to new empty map that can only entered from that guild hall. They can even charge that portal 5-10 gold each time so people don’t exploit it on some way but still can use it when needed.