Map Hack Frustration

Map Hack Frustration

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Morkai.7645

Morkai.7645

Tonight was blatantly obvious in sPvP.

One ele was high jumping around in combat moving extra fast.
Another ele was teleporting multiple times in a row.
Classes other than mesmer and thief were teleporting while in downed state.

Any plans on stopping the hacks? Seriously, can’t NCSOFT/ANET sue the guy who makes these hacks under grounds of terms of agreement violation, illegal modification of code, and or source injection?

Its really getting frustrating, I’ve seen this website/guy hack other MMORPGS since 2008 and no gaming company has ever done anything about it.

Map Hack Frustration

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

If they don’t release a patch for it soon, it will most definitely be coming in with the Nov15th Patch.

Map Hack Frustration

Posted by: Mandrax.7342

Mandrax.7342

Writing a hack is not illegal. Therefore no litigation can be brought to the writer of the hack, and it means that games companies should take their own measures to ensure that these hacks are found quickly, and the people using them are dealt with harshly.

Similarly, using a hack in a game is not illegal either, though it does generally break Terms or Use agreements or End User License Agreements. This means that games developers have to police this type of behaviour themselves.

All MMOs suffer from this type of thing, but the best ones have a robust system in place that finds the hacker quickly and deals with them harshly. It’s likely that Anet does have systems in place to find this kind of thing, but investigating and acting could be taking too much time.

What happens in this case is that some people develop a ‘if you can’t beat them, join them’ kind of attitude and the hacking becomes more widespread, thus causing an even bigger issue for the developer.

SWTOR suffered badly from speedhackers in Huttball. I used to PvP in that game a LOT, and I would see tons of these guys grabbing the ball and flying to the other end. I won and lost many games as a result of this and the problem increased rather than decreased as time went by. BioWare did not deal with it quickly enough. I hope Arenanet do…

Map Hack Frustration

Morkai.7645

If they don’t release a patch for it soon, it will most definitely be coming in with the Nov15th Patch.

One of the problems is its always a cat and mouse game with the patches. They patch, the guy releases another hack a day later. ANET really needs to take legal action to stop him from ruining this game like so many were ruined before. So patching doesn’t really solve anything.

Map Hack Frustration

Mandrax.7342

One of the problems is its always a cat and mouse game with the patches. They patch, the guy releases another hack a day later. ANET really needs to take legal action to stop him from ruining this game like so many were ruined before. So patching doesn’t really solve anything.

They can’t. What they need to do is to jump on the people using the hacks IMMEDIATELY. They need to build in a warning system that flags the accounts using it and banning it instantly. Eventually people will stop using it, or those that don’t will be removed from the game so fast, that it’s not even worth risking it.

Map Hack Frustration

Morkai.7645

Writing a hack is not illegal. Therefore no litigation can be brought to the writer of the hack, and it means that games companies should take their own measures to ensure that these hacks are found quickly, and the people using them are dealt with harshly.

Similarly, using a hack in a game is not illegal either, though it does generally break Terms or Use agreements or End User License Agreements. This means that games developers have to police this type of behaviour themselves.

All MMOs suffer from this type of thing, but the best ones have a robust system in place that finds the hacker quickly and deals with them harshly. It’s likely that Anet does have systems in place to find this kind of thing, but investigating and acting could be taking too much time.

What happens in this case is that some people develop a ‘if you can’t beat them, join them’ kind of attitude and the hacking becomes more widespread, thus causing an even bigger issue for the developer.

SWTOR suffered badly from speedhackers in Huttball. I used to PvP in that game a LOT, and I would see tons of these guys grabbing the ball and flying to the other end. I won and lost many games as a result of this and the problem increased rather than decreased as time went by. BioWare did not deal with it quickly enough. I hope Arenanet do…

What do you mean its not illegal? its modifying code, in violation of terms of agreement. The author of the hack should get sued and the user should be banned. I personally have quit other MMORPGS because of hacks. Thats loss of sale/business/profit due to nefarious activity. End of story

Map Hack Frustration

Morkai.7645

This guy is selling his software advertising that it hacks GW2 and other games that sounds pretty illegal to me.

Map Hack Frustration

Mandrax.7342

What do you mean its not illegal? its modifying code, in violation of terms of agreement. The author of the hack should get sued and the user should be banned. I personally have quit other MMORPGS because of hacks. Thats loss of sale/business/profit due to nefarious activity. End of story

Yes it breaks the terms of use but that does not make it ILLEGAL, i.e against the law.

It is often the case that the only way a company can sue for breach of an EULA is if that EULA was signed, physically. Whilst acceptance via mouse click gives a games developer certain powers to police their own game, it does not allow them to sue players for breaching the rules. This may vary from country to country.

In many countries, local law will always supercede these types of agreements anyway.

Map Hack Frustration

Mandrax.7342

@Morkai

Yes it’s shady behaviour, but Arenanet would struggle to win any kind of case against him.

I don’t know of a single case in gaming history where a hacker was successfully sued for creating and distributing a third party product to allow them cheat within an online game.

If it could be done, it would have been stopped years ago. This type of thing has been rife in online gaming ever since the beginning.

Map Hack Frustration

Posted by: Pikafan.3792

Pikafan.3792

What Mandrax said.

After seeing so many people misuse terms “illegal” or “moot”, I am sure people just copy the usage off another person who used it without understanding their meanings.

Map Hack Frustration

Morkai.7645

Yes it breaks the terms of use but that does not make it ILLEGAL, i.e against the law.

It is often the case that the only way a company can sue for breach of an EULA is if that EULA was signed, physically. Whilst acceptance via mouse click gives a games developer certain powers to police their own game, it does not allow them to sue players for breaching the rules. This may vary from country to country.

In many countries, local law will always supercede these types of agreements anyway.

Agree to disagree, this guy is making profit off of nefarious activity at the expense of a law abiding company. That would hold up in court.

By your logic, one could write up a piece of software to hack a website, sell it to anyone, and it wouldn’t be illegal. Its the responsibility of the owner to protect its data, so lets not call it illegal? That’s what I get from your synopsis.

Map Hack Frustration

Morkai.7645

@Morkai

Yes it’s shady behaviour, but Arenanet would struggle to win any kind of case against him.

I don’t know of a single case in gaming history where a hacker was successfully sued for creating and distributing a third party product to allow them cheat within an online game.

If it could be done, it would have been stopped years ago. This type of thing has been rife in online gaming ever since the beginning.

Has it ever been tried? Or gaming companies just don’t care…

Map Hack Frustration

Posted by: Eugenics.6953

Eugenics.6953

A lot of cheat programs are made by Russians. The yanks might think they police the world but good look suing someone in Russia.

Map Hack Frustration

Pikafan.3792

Morkai

I am just calling confirmation bias on this one.

While it’s probably true that most gaming companies can’t be bothered bringing cheaters to courts, it’s not the main reason why nobody bothers.

When you sue, you want to achieve at least 1 or more out of 3 things:

1) Compensation
2) Prevent someone or some group from any action that is contradictory to you or your group’s best interests
3) Deadlock all parties in legal proceedings to buy time to achieve something important

Arenanet is obviously not going to achieve any of those 3, and they have perfectly capable lawyers, probably unlike yourself, who probably already told them about what I just told you.

So, are you a lawyer? Or someone knowledgeable enough about such matters to presume to tell Arenanet, or any gaming company, what to do?

Map Hack Frustration

Posted by: wintermute.4096

wintermute.4096

So, here you are demanding people to be put in jail for cheating in a game? That sounds awfully childish to me at least.

Besides, “hacking” is not at all illegal per se, (and personally I’m quite happy it isn’t) for we’d live in a terrible, terrible world if companies could just decide what use of their product they deem unfitting. Like there isn’t enough harm being done by corporate lawyers already. (not speaking of Anet specifically in that case.)

Map Hack Frustration

Mandrax.7342

Agree to disagree, this guy is making profit off of nefarious activity at the expense of a law abiding company. That would hold up in court.

By your logic, one could write up a piece of software to hack a website, sell it to anyone, and it wouldn’t be illegal. Its the responsibility of the owner to protect its data, so lets not call it illegal? That’s what I get from your synopsis.

Logic is immaterial in this case, we are talking about the law. Since when have logic and the law had anything in common?

Map Hack Frustration

Mandrax.7342

@Morkai

Blizzard tried to sue some 3rd party hackers in StarCraft II. Two years later and they have still not been successful.

Map Hack Frustration

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

It is possible to get sued for writing and selling hacks. For example, Blizzard won vs the developers of the most used bot program at the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MDY_Indus._LLC_v._Blizzard_Entm%27t,_Inc.

Map Hack Frustration

Mandrax.7342

It is possible to get sued for writing and selling hacks. For example, Blizzard won vs the developers of the most used bot program at the time.

Ah of course, I forgot about the Glider case and the whole Tortious Interference thing…my mistake.

That said, MDY did actually win on a whole lot of their legal arguments and there would always be a good possibility that at judge in a future case may have ruled for MDY.

The interesting thing about that case was that MDY had the judgement against them not for supplying and distributing hacking software, but for infringing copyright.

(edited by Mandrax.7342)

Map Hack Frustration

Pikafan.3792

Healix.5819

It’s possible to sue anyone over anything, just a matter of whether the case is successful in the end.

Also, in an appeal, they reversed the decision made on the bot developers, and the case is still in courts at this time.

Map Hack Frustration

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

mm actually..i havent played spvp in some days,yesterday played a few matches and my team got seriously kicked hard…we all were pondering wtf happend and how this ele is able to be nearly invincible all of the time,also Continously teleporting she was out of my screen in a second or 2 we were Never being able to catch up with her whatever we tried.I’m not one to call everyone who beats me a hacker,i know it when somone just plays the better round.

But this ele was insane,a whole team spanking her and she did not die ,and telporting the F out of there in a matter of 2 seconds,. no one being able to put Any condition on her,she goes out of sight,returns and tries the same..She was basically soloiing the entire match while her team went of capturing….this is game ruining.Imagine coming across one of these kids in about every match youre about to play ? I tihnk these are the people that lack the skill to do anything usefull without hacks,or they dont care about guild wars or being banned thus trying to ruin the fun of other people,in any case..I despise them,they do not realize they are ruining the fun of thousands of players only for their own benefit.

(edited by Caedmon.6798)

Map Hack Frustration

Posted by: kiranslee.4829

kiranslee.4829

Since i really dont wish to start new topic , and its a bit related to this ill post it here.
Few weeks ago, i was having some conv with a guy who got one of first legendary weapons i seen. So after some time we talked he gave me suggestion to visit some, sites , with lets say not so legal tools. He showed me, that he was able to obtain over 10k gold, tons of karma and finish the map in just matter of days.
I did check on those tools on few other places, and ye those are working (i cant prove it 100% since i wont go into really testing it but im 99.9% sure they are working out there).
So i collected info that got from game (screens, convo), i also got links to sites with complete guides for hacking/boting, and we reported it.
Here the disappointing part, account to this specific player is still active and online, and i was able to track him down again.
So how to feel about this ? I feel disappointed , mostly coz i am helping my friend to get legendary, and we know how much effort we placed into this. Then we see this other ways of doing and, and kinda right now i feel powerless to do anything but also really disappointed.
Sorry for wall of txt, just wanted to share.

Map Hack Frustration

Posted by: bojangles.6912

bojangles.6912

People who hack likely will be banned. I don’t know why people are saying it isn’t illegal unless they mean law wise, but it is a very bannable offense. Hopefully they do something soon but they may be more focused on the bots first right now.

Map Hack Frustration

Posted by: Walker.2184

Walker.2184

it will take some actual coding and some seriousness by anet to prevent the hacking/cheats….it took dark age a few years before they coded a way to stop it….but the day they did they banned 1/3 of an entire server and thousands of people on other servers….the guy writing the radar/cheats gave up shortly after that saying it wasn’t worth it to try to overcome the method of detection…

Map Hack Frustration

Posted by: AcidicVision.5498

AcidicVision.5498

This is one of few black marks I think. These hacks aren’t new. They were around and even being advertised on youtube since beta weekend events 2 and 3. Someone from Anet back then said they were well aware of it and would deal with it before launch.

Maybe they put in an extra hurdle or two, but the hacks are the same and using the same methods. It’s really a let down that the same fly and speed hacks that were popping up in the beta weekend are still being used and someone is still profiting off of negatively impacting an experience other people paid for. Bots and RMT might be overall more harmful to the game and community, but at least they don’t add the personal insult of killing your character like PvP hackers do.

Apparently they just hired a security team to combat bots and such. I wonder if these guys are working the hack angle also, and if they even have access to source code to make changes that block known hacks (clamp max speed, class/skill comparison, translation out of thresh-hold flags despite commands from the client). Or are they just given a tool the monitors memory and other running applications and told good luck?

The Kismet
Dragonbrand