Map Joining is Horrible.

Map Joining is Horrible.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lunar Skunk.1925

Lunar Skunk.1925

Hello everyone

My name is Lunar Skunk and i consider myself and average causal gamer, and I have an issue I would like to address.

Map joining is horrible during large coordinated world events. I have at least spent a few hours since mega servers came out spam clicking join, only to get a message saying the map is full every time. And then you could ask: Well if the map is full, why don’t you do something else? Well I would, but since it seems like people are getting in, even though the map is full, I keep trying.

But what I don’t understand, and why I think the map joining is horrible, is why do I have to constantly click join, in order to join in on the fun. I understand that every map has a limit on the number of people who can join, and I think that limit is fine. But why can’t we have a queue system when we are joining full maps? All WvW maps have them?

Sure I might still get mad if I don’t get in the map, but at least I can actually do something else while I wait for the queue? I wouldn’t mind running Bloodtide Coast, gathering and completing events, especially not when I knew that I might have a chance of joining the event. However I can’t, I have to sit for 20 minutes spamming a combination of “enter”, “move mouse” and “right mouse click” in order to join the fun. That’s horrible…

A queue would mean that people, who actually tried to join first, can join the maps first. That would be a much better and fairer system than “luckiest clicker” join first. But it would also mean that we could have a bit of fun and gain some XP while we wait for an empty spot.

Today i was trying to join the Great Junglewurm event, and I didn’t get in, just like 50 other people. All of us just trying for at least 10 minutes clicking join. Now I will go to Lions Arch, I will go craft some clovers while I feel sad about missing another Great Junglewurm event, because I was the unlucky clicker today.

I really do hope some kind of system can be implemented so that everyone can have fun while they hope for spot in the right map. Thank you very much for reading if you got this far, and I apologize for my English. It is not my first language.

PS.
I am really sorry if this is the wrong forum, but i didn’t know where to put this

Map Joining is Horrible.

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

It really seems as though ANet has done everything they can to make sure people can’t play with who they want to play with. At the very least a Queue system would be nice. But I really think guilds should be able to open their own maps, I’d even suggest that the feature should cost gems.

Map Joining is Horrible.

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

It really seems as though ANet has done everything they can to make sure people can’t play with who they want to play with.

That seems to be an unfair statement.

You have to understand that with a map filled with 75+ people – Each player has a list of friends, party members, server-mates, and guild-mates that either want to get in or the system feels as though they should be together. So out of those 75+ people who gets priority treatment before the map gets capped? You? Why?

Having a queue system alone is not the only fix needed here. I personally don’t want to just sit around waiting on a queue. Would prefer a district system.

D1 – Home server
D2 – Megaserver 1 (map population is XX%)
D3 – Megaserver 2 (map population is XX%)
D4 – Megaserver 3 (map population is XX%)

-Idea courtesy of Revler

Also this thread has a chance of being locked and or merged with the main feedback thread.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Map Joining is Horrible.

Posted by: Xbon.9086

Xbon.9086

So basically you want to join the most popular world all the time? Just stay on the world your on and try to beat the boss.

Map Joining is Horrible.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

while at it, let us know which map is good too so we can select it and not be place on the bad maps.

Map Joining is Horrible.

Jerus.4350

It really seems as though ANet has done everything they can to make sure people can’t play with who they want to play with.

You have to understand that with a map filled with 75+ people – Each player has a list of friends, party members, server-mates, and guild-mates that either want to get in or the system feels as though they should be together. So out of those 75+ people who gets priority treatment before the map gets capped? You? Why?

Having a queue system alone is not the only fix needed here. I personally don’t want to just sit around waiting on a queue. Would prefer a district system.

D1 – Home server

-Idea courtesy of Revler

Also this thread has a chance of being locked and or merged with the main feedback thread.

Megaservers leading into a smaller map event, the last two major changes have lead to some headaches.

And you assume I just mean CP. I’m talking anything you want to do with a guild. From Guild Missions to Teq, getting a whole guild into one map is a nightmare. Guild missions use to take an hour, now it’s like 2-3 because we have to play the taxi map hopping game between each thing.

The general PUG or open organized CP runs would be fixed with a queue, and that would be nice. But that wouldn’t fix the issues I’m more focused on, and htat’s getting guilds onto the same map. I realize the name GuildWars is based more on the lore, but really you’d think that a game with that name especially would be more friendly towards their guilds.

They did do one good thing and let people spawn Teq off hours, that was nice, but ugh…

Map Joining is Horrible.

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

while at it, let us know which map is good too so we can select it and not be place on the bad maps.

Lel, maps are as bad as you make them. But go ahead and waste your time finding a taxi. I am going to enjoy my flawless PuGs at teq.

Map Joining is Horrible.

laokoko.7403

Lel, maps are as bad as you make them. But go ahead and waste your time finding a taxi. I am going to enjoy my flawless PuGs at teq.

how long do you have to spend afking for the map to be good. I tried the morning group, usually 1 hour head time is good. I havn’t tried 30 minutes.

For the night group, I tried joining 30 minutes earlier, but the group is still bad.

Map Joining is Horrible.

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

I normally go 20-30 minutes early and then organize it myself. That’s the key.

Map Joining is Horrible.

Posted by: Xbon.9086

Xbon.9086

The key is… Bosses scale based on your map size, if you have less people it will still be doable, infact, easier.

Map Joining is Horrible.

laokoko.7403

I tried the night group. Actually trying to lead with 2 other because no one it trying to organize. But group is still bad. It is probably a night time thing. I’ll see if the morning group are better since there are more people.

Map Joining is Horrible.

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

D1 – Home server

-Idea courtesy of Revler

Megaservers leading into a smaller map event, the last two major changes have lead to some headaches.

And you assume I just mean CP. I’m talking anything you want to do with a guild. From Guild Missions to Teq, getting a whole guild into one map is a nightmare. Guild missions use to take an hour, now it’s like 2-3 because we have to play the taxi map hopping game between each thing.

The general PUG or open organized CP runs would be fixed with a queue, and that would be nice. But that wouldn’t fix the issues I’m more focused on, and htat’s getting guilds onto the same map. I realize the name GuildWars is based more on the lore, but really you’d think that a game with that name especially would be more friendly towards their guilds.

They did do one good thing and let people spawn Teq off hours, that was nice, but ugh…

You don’t think that it would be possible to get a guild on a map without the taxi nightmare now if we were able to choose a home server district or a low pop megaserver district?

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Map Joining is Horrible.

Jerus.4350

D1 – Home server

-Idea courtesy of Revler

You don’t think that it would be possible to get a guild on a map without the taxi nightmare now if we were able to choose a home server district or a low pop megaserver district?

Naw that sounds like it may work. Lots of options, they just need to get it done. You just said my statement was unfair, and I still don’t think so at all. Once they get something liek that in, then sure, but if they continue to push forward while leaving these issues unaddressed…

Map Joining is Horrible.

Posted by: Noah.4756

Noah.4756

So basically you want to join the most popular world all the time? Just stay on the world your on and try to beat the boss.

In most cases people are trying to join a friend or specific community so it’s not necessarily a popularity contest.

Also if people are not organizing to kill a Hardcore World Boss it is unlikely the Boss will be beaten. I’ve seen countless of times where many players try to join the event in the last 5 minutes because they think they can kill it without getting organized. From my experience the chance to fail significantly increases the later you join.

The constant clicking required to join a party member is a tedious process. That is why the current taxi system needs a queue function. The developers are aware of it because WvW worked without a queue for a long time until they gave it a big update. If this topic gets enough attention then perhaps the developers will realize this is something that could immensely improve how Megaservers work.

Map Joining is Horrible.

laokoko.7403

In most cases people are trying to join a friend or specific community so it’s not necessarily a popularity contest.

I think the reality is “most” people are joining friend or community because it is the popular “higher success rate” map.

Obviously there are those that purely just do it because they want to play with friend, but majority are there just because of say “gold map pavilion”.

Map Joining is Horrible.

Posted by: Noah.4756

Noah.4756

I think the reality is “most” people are joining friend or community because it is the popular “higher success rate” map.

Obviously there are those that purely just do it because they want to play with friend, but majority are there just because of say “gold map pavilion”.

Of course, but joining a popular map should not be seen as something negative. Leadership and organization is not something that’s always readily available. This explains why taxi’s are often used because there are too many players out there who just follow the zerg without any real thought behind it. Without guidance it’s just a recipe for disaster.

Either way a queue system benefits not only the popular maps. Queues can give players useful information whether or not they will be able to join their party members. If the queue line is too long it could trigger players to organize something themselves.

Map Joining is Horrible.

Jerus.4350

Of course, but joining a popular map should not be seen as something negative. Leadership and organization is not something that’s always readily available. This explains why taxi’s are often used because there are too many players out there who just follow the zerg without any real thought behind it. Without guidance it’s just a recipe for disaster.

Either way a queue system benefits not only the popular maps. Queues can give players useful information whether or not they will be able to join their party members. If the queue line is too long it could trigger players to organize something themselves.

With that, a queue would also open people up to actually participate in their current map instead of taking up space spamming join.

Queues would fix the PUG situation. Districts or opening guild maps would fix the guild situation. Any way you look at it something needs to be done though.

Map Joining is Horrible.

Posted by: Zyxin.1235

Zyxin.1235

D1 – Home server

-Idea courtesy of Revler

This idea is one that I had been tossing about with some of my friends as well. More or less the -exact- same thing. I figured I couldn’t have been the only one, and actually hopped on the forums today to post something alone these lines.

The district system of Guild Wars 1 worked amazing. That’s where I was aiming the the idea as well. Basically what you had said.

With either % of players, or a color code next to it showing population.

Home/Guested Server being District One.
Megaserver #1
Megaserver #2

So on and so fourth for as many servers as that map currently holds. Let there be the queue system of WvW/Old Overflows.

This would allow all groups involved to enjoy what they enjoy. You want a small population server, not very group oriented? You can have it with your home/small pop server. Want your Roleplaying community? No problem. Pve and farming with zergs on a megaserver? You bet! Guild dominated servers for world events? Sure, why not.

I am glad others on the forums had this similar, if not same exact idea. Not saying I was the first to have it of course, just one of many. Great minds think alike, and this would be a solution for all parties involved to enjoy. It promotes a healthier game, and more choice rather than being forced into a megaserver, with no other option other than to taxi, or relog.

Map Joining is Horrible.

Posted by: Lunar Skunk.1925

Lunar Skunk.1925

And that is possible! Just only for some of the normal world events. You might even be able to do tequatl if you can have people join you.

But something like the Great jungle wurm takes a whole lot of communication, and requires timing, the same goes for some guild missions. You don’t just go on to a random map 30 minutes before the event and say: “Hey? Do you want to kill the great jungle wurm?” Quite simply because half of them don’t know what that event is, and the other half don’t know how to kill any of the wurms. There is no way you could organize an entire event yourself in such a short timeframe.

Of course you could organize a whole event the day before, with a guild or something. But for a casual player like me, that’s not an option. I rely on my guild, and other guilds to plan these events so that i can join in. I sometimes even join the teamspeak 2 hours ahead to make sure I don’t miss the jump. But still when the event starts I have to spam click join on the map, usually and lucky for me, because it’s bottlenecking, but sometimes because someone else was clicking faster than me.

About the district system, I had not thought of this idea myself. But I like it, I remember the districts from gw1 and they seemed to work great! So I’m all for that system. However I do believe that queue is still necessary whether you are joining maps or districts, for the same reasons I stated in my first post.

Map Joining is Horrible.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

It’s pretty hard to fail teq now that they have fixed the burn bug. As long as you can get teq down to 75% health in the first 12 minutes you can still easily down him now. Since the patch I have yet to see a burn phase last longer than 30 seconds.

Map Joining is Horrible.

laokoko.7403

I dont’ have a problem with queues.

I’m just wondering if with the district system, people will mostly try to join the 100% maps since they are most likely the organized maps.

So in the end those organized guilds will have trouble getting their people in. Kind of like what happened with JQ and BlackGate before.

My question is should “other people” be allowed to queue or just those have friends or guildmates in the orginal map.

You will probably have a harder time to get in if there are other people fighting for your spot.

Map Joining is Horrible.

Jerus.4350

I dont’ have a problem with queues.

I’m just wondering if with the district system, people will mostly try to join the 100% maps since they are most likely the organized maps.

So in the end those organized guilds will have trouble getting their people in. Kind of like what happened with JQ and BlackGate before.

My question is should “other people” be allowed to queue or just those have friends or guildmates in the orginal map.

You will probably have a harder time to get in if there are other people fighting for your spot.

This is why I like the idea of having people able to open their own zones. You can only get in them through being pulled. But, make them cost gems to open, that way you limit how many are created, and ANet gets something for what could require more server power.

If it’s expensive for a small group to open their own, then you won’t have a ton. But for a guild it wouldn’t be that much if you spread the cost around.