Map closing system is super flawed

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Why is the map closing system super flawed? It often tries to close perfectly nice and filled maps.

Example just now: It is trying to close my auric basin map, which is so full that i cannot taxi in more people. Yet a map will be closed in 60min appeared. 10min before the Tarir defenses starts. Its such a joke!

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

With the OOM crashes, maybe too many got hit with a crash at the same time. Dropping your map below the threshold.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

It’s possible that the map you are on is not filled. It could simply mean that because the other map is ready to take in more people that it simply wont let any more into the one you are in. Thus you believing it’s full because you are trying to taxi people in but can’t.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Malediktus.9250

With the OOM crashes, maybe too many got hit with a crash at the same time. Dropping your map below the threshold.

No, the event did not even start and there were people in my group unable to join. So it was a hard capped map.

It’s possible that the map you are on is not filled. It could simply mean that because the other map is ready to take in more people that it simply wont let any more into the one you are in. Thus you believing it’s full because you are trying to taxi people in but can’t.

Nah, you can still taxi in maps which are getting closed. This is just another flaw of the silly megaserver system which closes good maps all the time.

(edited by Malediktus.9250)

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Hmm I would say they may have to increase the 60 min warning close thing especially in some of these maps if Meta events can easily take longer than that to do. Either that or if there are enough people in the map to just remove the auto close thing altogether until there is a certain amount of people in it..

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

I had this happen the other day. The message went away after a bit, but it was kind of annoying and probably sent some confused players away…

I’m assuming this is one of those freak bugs.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Why is the map closing system super flawed? It often tries to close perfectly nice and filled maps.

Example just now: It is trying to close my auric basin map, which is so full that i cannot taxi in more people. Yet a map will be closed in 60min appeared. 10min before the Tarir defenses starts. Its such a joke!

I wouldn’t call it a joke — it works perfectly well in core Tyria. It just needs to be tweaked for the new maps.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: BrettM.9062

BrettM.9062

I wouldn’t call it a joke — it works perfectly well in core Tyria. It just needs to be tweaked for the new maps.

Could use some tweaking for Dry Top and, perhaps, Silverwastes as well. Unless you’re including those when you say “new maps”.

I mean that it could have used some tweaking for Dry Top as it used to be before HoT. Nowadays I don’t know if any amount of tweaking will solve the problem because player behavior with regard to DT has changed so much. They apparently come in with very specific goals in mind related to collections and leave immediately after achieving them, so the map population fluctuates wildly. I’ve even been prompted to volunteer out of maps in the middle of t4 sandstorms, which would have been unthinkable a month ago.

Posted by: Zioba.6182

Zioba.6182

I agree, something with this system is wrong. I often click to join the new map, just to end up in an even less filled map

Sarcasm is what’s left when all hope is gone

Posted by: Cherokeewill.7504

Cherokeewill.7504

Another option may be to make two versions of the new maps; Explorable and Meta-event. A prompt could be added when zoning or logging into a new map that asks if you are joining the meta-event or exploring for world completion/personal story. This would help direct players into maps with like-minded others.

Or a queue could be created where a 20+ player minimum was required to activate a new mega server for meta events. Explorable maps are the default but when you zone in, much like the overflow maps prompt now, a prompt stating, “A new meta-event map is queuing, would you like to join?”

When the population of the current map drops below 20 then a notice would appear stating, “Population of the current map has dipped below the minimum level for meta-event completion.” and the map reverts to explorable status and players can queue for a meta-event map again if they so choose.

I know that’s a lot of programming but I’m just spit balling.

Malediktus.9250

Hmm I would say they may have to increase the 60 min warning close thing especially in some of these maps if Meta events can easily take longer than that to do. Either that or if there are enough people in the map to just remove the auto close thing altogether until there is a certain amount of people in it..

The message can go invisible if a cutscene starts or if you view a vista. The 60min will keep ticking in the background.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I had this happen the other day. The message went away after a bit, but it was kind of annoying and probably sent some confused players away…

I’m assuming this is one of those freak bugs.

The message/popup/other thing you can click on the corner goes away if you use a waypoint.

Posted by: BrettM.9062

BrettM.9062

When a closure message pops up, it always leaves you with a dilemma because a map can often re-populate if you choose not to volunteer out immediately. This dilemma is especially frustrating for maps with a tiered meta because you can so easily screw yourself by the wrong choice, yet you have no way of knowing which is the right choice.

• If you volunteer, you may end up in a map with less progress than the one that’s shutting down.
  • If you don’t volunteer, the map may not repopulate in time to finish the progression but may repopulate enough that you lose the option to leave.

From a player perspective, the best solution would be to keep the map with the greatest progress rather than the one with the highest population. That would ensure that volunteering would always put you in a map at least as advanced as the one you left It would ensure that the map making progress gets additional population to keep the progress going.

From a programming perspective, this may be more difficult than it sounds. But I sure hope a dev looks into the idea if they haven’t already.