EremiteAngel.9765

I just noticed that marauder armor has more stats than berserker =/

Scourge Demo Weekend Roaming Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsby6rYkxS8

Marauder > Berserker?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

So does Minstrels, but I doubt you’ll hear many people suggesting you swap it out. Celestial has even higher raw stat totals, but it’s important to consider whether your build can take full advantage of more rounded stats, and whether they’re useful for you.

If you find that staying alive isn’t a problem for you, for example, it might be worthwhile to trade Marauder’s toughness for a little extra offense. On the other hand, if you need a little extra toughness, it might not affect your DPS that much to make a trade-off…

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Marauder > Berserker?

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

“Don’t Diversify” in the words of Warren Buffet.

Giving up Power, Precision and Ferocity for a fourth stat weakens all damage even if it grants you more of another stat. True of all the 4 stat sets.

Marauder > Berserker?

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

You could have an armor with 10000% outgoing healing, which would be outrageous, but it isn’t what you need so it’s not what people would take.

Marauder > Berserker?

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

It is only better if you need that extra bit of passive defense.

Marauder > Berserker?

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

In WvW where the extra health may make more of a difference than the smallish damage sacrifice, yes, Maruader over Berserker — for at least some of the pieces.

Marauder > Berserker?

Posted by: Hesacon.8735

Hesacon.8735

You could have an armor with 10000% outgoing healing, which would be outrageous, but it isn’t what you need so it’s not what people would take.

I dunno, one piece of armor with that stat bonus everyone would take because every heal becomes a full heal.

Berserker’s is higher DPS than Marauder, so it depends on what you’re trying to do.

Marauder > Berserker?

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Marauder has been better than berserker ever since it was introduced. Is this still news to anyone?

Marauder > Berserker?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Marauder has been better than berserker ever since it was introduced. Is this still news to anyone?

News to me. As people said above, it depends on your goal. If a little extra health helps you, then great. Otherwise, the more offensive stats, the faster stuff dies.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Marauder > Berserker?

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

I think that some metabattle people have crunched the numbers and you lose about 10% DPS for 6k health with full Ascended. I suppose that whether that trade off is good or bad depends on the mode you’re playing.

Marauder > Berserker?

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

News to me. As people said above, it depends on your goal. If a little extra health helps you, then great. Otherwise, the more offensive stats, the faster stuff dies.

This.

I think that some metabattle people have crunched the numbers and you lose about 10% DPS for 6k health with full Ascended. I suppose that whether that trade off is good or bad depends on the mode you’re playing.

Yes, which basically means:

If your goal is to have optimal pve dps berserker wins (assassins for some classes).
If your goal is to have maximum stats with a weight in direct damage maurauder wins.

Maurauder is in no way better than berserker in pve.

Marauder > Berserker?

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

I think that some metabattle people have crunched the numbers and you lose about 10% DPS for 6k health with full Ascended.

As a rule of thumb, swapping out Berserker for Marauder costs you around 1% DPS per 1k health.

The exact amount of the DPS-to-health ratio is going to depend on buffs and class-specific traits somewhat; raw crit chance (which brings you to the crit cap faster) and stat conversions (precision to ferocity) are most relevant.

On something like a hammer Guardian, which benefits most from Marauder and has the least trait conflicts, going from full zerk to full Marauder costs you about 6% DPS for 6330 health with full buffs.

Marauder > Berserker?

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

I use Marauder is PvE/WvW/PvP

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

Marauder > Berserker?

Ensign.2189

It comes down to how difficult the content you are playing is, for you and your group.

A simple way to think about it is that getting downed is a massive DPS loss – at best, you and at least one party member are going to do essentially zero DPS for several seconds. When the extra health from Marauder keeps you from being downed, that’s a massive DPS boost for those seconds at the cost of a very modest DPS hit most of the time.

If you take into account the times that being downed turns into a death – and when a death turns into a party wipe – that extra health can be a big, big effective DPS boost.

Now obviously if you’re doing content on farm mode, where you’re in full Berserker and never even sniff the floor over the course of full raid clear, don’t even look at Marauder. On the other hand, if another 3k, 5k health will prevent a down every couple pulls, stop being a snob and put on the Mara.

Marauder > Berserker?

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I think that some metabattle people have crunched the numbers and you lose about 10% DPS for 6k health with full Ascended.

As a rule of thumb, swapping out Berserker for Marauder costs you around 1% DPS per 1k health.

The exact amount of the DPS-to-health ratio is going to depend on buffs and class-specific traits somewhat; raw crit chance (which brings you to the crit cap faster) and stat conversions (precision to ferocity) are most relevant.

On something like a hammer Guardian, which benefits most from Marauder and has the least trait conflicts, going from full zerk to full Marauder costs you about 6% DPS for 6330 health with full buffs.

So on a low base health class like ele or guardian it comes down a 6% dps loss for more than 50% more health!

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Marauder > Berserker?

Ensign.2189

So on a low base health class like ele or guardian it comes down a 6% dps loss for more than 50% more health!

On a Guardian, yes. Eles have a precision signet, so you can only pile on ~3500 health for a ~3.3% DPS loss before you start totally wasting Precision.

Thief does a little bit worse with critical strikes – since there’s the 5% crit chance over 90% health trait that you have to obsolesce. Of course if you don’t assume that you’re over 90% health all the time (and if you were over 90% health all the time you’d just run zerker anyway) it makes sense to obsolesce it – but you give up ~4.2% DPS for the same ~3500 health.

I personally make every single one of those trades every time, and I think 99% of raiders should make that trade, but I’m interested in reliable one-shots of raid bosses with my regular group or the occasional pug, not setting speed clear records or 6-manning bosses or the like where those very small differences in peak performance matter.

Marauder > Berserker?

Illconceived Was Na.9781

It comes down to how difficult the content you are playing is, for you and your group.

A simple way to think about it is that getting downed is a massive DPS loss – at best, you and at least one party member are going to do essentially zero DPS for several seconds. When the extra health from Marauder keeps you from being downed, that’s a massive DPS boost for those seconds at the cost of a very modest DPS hit most of the time.

If you take into account the times that being downed turns into a death – and when a death turns into a party wipe – that extra health can be a big, big effective DPS boost.

Now obviously if you’re doing content on farm mode, where you’re in full Berserker and never even sniff the floor over the course of full raid clear, don’t even look at Marauder. On the other hand, if another 3k, 5k health will prevent a down every couple pulls, stop being a snob and put on the Mara.

You realize that you just used more words to repeat what I said. If you need more health, Marauder’s is a better choice for you; if you don’t, zerker’s will kill things faster.

Which is why it’s news to me that “Marauder’s is better” all the time — it’s only better when you need the extra health.

Marauder > Berserker?

DGraves.3720

You realize that you just used more words to repeat what I said. If you need more health, Marauder’s is a better choice for you; if you don’t, zerker’s will kill things faster.

Which is why it’s news to me that “Marauder’s is better” all the time — it’s only better when you need the extra health.

The only way to settle this is actually to answer a very specific question: “How much faster?” Because that actually would dictate whether it was always better or not. It doesn’t really matter if you need the health because you only need the health if you get hit.

Marauder > Berserker?

Posted by: that baby stealing dingo.7216

that baby stealing dingo.7216

It’s good for thieves that are tired of getting one-shotted. Otherwise I’ll stick with Zerk. Enemies will burn through that passive health bonus pretty quickly anyways.

I have a sword, a dagger, and an estimated life span of 2.47 seconds.

Marauder > Berserker?

Posted by: XerMeLL.6042

XerMeLL.6042

PVE – its no brainer, Berserker is the Best. Don’t worry about those mobs and bosses, they are very predictable on the long run.

WvW – Frontline classes or Glass Cannon such as Thief should consider this Marauder. And maybe the solo roaming class.

It’s really about personal preference. Would you like to trade small portion of damage to small portion of hp?

This is the last MMORPG ill play.

Marauder > Berserker?

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The only way to settle this is actually to answer a very specific question: “How much faster?” Because that actually would dictate whether it was always better or not. It doesn’t really matter if you need the health because you only need the health if you get hit.

Of course that’s the only way to settle it. People should use what works for them.

But that’s exactly my point: Marauder’s isn’t automatically better than Berserker’s, which was the fallacy to which I was responding.

Marauder > Berserker?

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

On a Guardian, yes. Eles have a precision signet, so you can only pile on ~3500 health for a ~3.3% DPS loss before you start totally wasting Precision.

Thief does a little bit worse with critical strikes – since there’s the 5% crit chance over 90% health trait that you have to obsolesce. Of course if you don’t assume that you’re over 90% health all the time (and if you were over 90% health all the time you’d just run zerker anyway) it makes sense to obsolesce it – but you give up ~4.2% DPS for the same ~3500 health.

I personally make every single one of those trades every time, and I think 99% of raiders should make that trade, but I’m interested in reliable one-shots of raid bosses with my regular group or the occasional pug, not setting speed clear records or 6-manning bosses or the like where those very small differences in peak performance matter.

Yeah, and I think that trading some damage for survivability is the right thing to do for raids especially. I haven’t raided in gw2 but I have raided a lot in WoW in the past and what was true there is true here: if you’re dead then your DPS is 0.

Marauder > Berserker?

DGraves.3720

Of course that’s the only way to settle it. People should use what works for them.

But that’s exactly my point: Marauder’s isn’t automatically better than Berserker’s, which was the fallacy to which I was responding.

I think you misunderstand. Let’s say we have an enemy with 1.6m HP.

On average your zerker does 7,000.
On average your marauder does 6% less so 6,580.

1.6m / 7,000 = 229 strikes. (228.57… but you can’t have a partial strike)
1.6m / 6580 = 244 strikes (243.16… etc.)

244 – 229 = 15.

If the attack pattern were exactly 1 per second it would take 15 extra seconds but the total time of the slowest is 244s or simply 4 minutes and 4 seconds versus 3 minutes and 49 seconds.

Realistically you likely wouldn’t even notice and then you have a lot of realities in the game like the attack patterns are generally much faster than 1 per second and then quickness and alacrity and conditions you can tack on and all sorts of sexy goodness. Basically the time to deplete 1.6m HP alone wouldn’t vary enough to justify not taking Mauraders.

But these are made up numbers though that’s how you would test it. The rule of thumb is that the larger the number for the base (Berserker) the worse you will get for taking anything but (for Maurader) so there’s a substantial difference between attacks based on their base coefficients and the weapon being used to deliver it and a whole lot of other stuff that’s just not going to be accounted for here.

I’m sure someone will someday make that spreadsheet just to defend their choices.

Marauder > Berserker?

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I think you misunderstand. Let’s say we have an enemy with 1.6m HP.

On average your zerker does 7,000.
On average your marauder does 6% less so 6,580.

1.6m / 7,000 = 229 strikes. (228.57… but you can’t have a partial strike)
1.6m / 6580 = 244 strikes (243.16… etc.)

244 – 229 = 15.

If the attack pattern were exactly 1 per second it would take 15 extra seconds but the total time of the slowest is 244s or simply 4 minutes and 4 seconds versus 3 minutes and 49 seconds.

Realistically you likely wouldn’t even notice and then you have a lot of realities in the game like the attack patterns are generally much faster than 1 per second and then quickness and alacrity and conditions you can tack on and all sorts of sexy goodness. Basically the time to deplete 1.6m HP alone wouldn’t vary enough to justify not taking Mauraders.

But these are made up numbers though that’s how you would test it. The rule of thumb is that the larger the number for the base (Berserker) the worse you will get for taking anything but (for Maurader) so there’s a substantial difference between attacks based on their base coefficients and the weapon being used to deliver it and a whole lot of other stuff that’s just not going to be accounted for here.

I’m sure someone will someday make that spreadsheet just to defend their choices.

I think you are still misunderstanding: “better” depends on the circumstances and the intended goal. There is no stat combination that is absolutely better for each and every player in each and every situation.

Marauder > Berserker?

DGraves.3720

I think you are still misunderstanding: “better” depends on the circumstances and the intended goal. There is no stat combination that is absolutely better for each and every player in each and every situation.

The Economist in me disagrees but fortunately I’m less belligerent than I used to be!

I agree to disagree.

Marauder > Berserker?

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The Economist in me disagrees but fortunately I’m less belligerent than I used to be!

I agree to disagree.

You are of the opinion that there is a single stat combination that is best for every player in the game in every possible situation? Or you are of the opinion that for any given situation, there is a single stat combination that is best for everyone?

I would have thought that economists would be more likely to understand that one size doesn’t fit all, which is why we have things like peak-load pricing, supply/demand curves, and differing prices on identical airplane seats.

Marauder > Berserker?

DGraves.3720

I agree to disagree.

You are of the opinion that there is a single stat combination that is best for every player in the game in every possible situation?

Yes. Given controlled parameters there is likely a best option in the game for a player’s distinct level of skill and ability. It’s likely a mixed set of starts that best encapsulates both survival and offense. For some that may even be Nomad’s (bless their souls).

Or you are of the opinion that for any given situation, there is a single stat combination that is best for everyone?

Now that’s madness.

I would have thought that economists would be more likely to understand that one size doesn’t fit all, which is why we have things like peak-load pricing, supply/demand curves, and differing prices on identical airplane seats.

“One size doesn’t fit all.” shouldn’t be mistaken for “No size fits you.” Think of it like talents, everyone has some level of talent in some respect, and there likely is a unifying class, build for that class, and stat combination that’s best fits those talents.

The natural Mesmers will do best as Mesmers even if their great at other classes for instance and will play perhaps condition best even if they are just dandy with power and will have a tactic that they pretty much look like they created even of they’re fine using other tactics.

Best shouldn’t be mistaken for only either. There can be many good results but only one best.

Marauder > Berserker?

Posted by: darksoverign.5360

darksoverign.5360

ive been doing marauder armour with zerker weapons and jewellery and back on my wvw theif and I rarely die…(until I get steamrolled by a zerg for afking XD).

Marauder > Berserker?

Posted by: Nusku.3941

Nusku.3941

It’s the same stats just with more precision and sacrificing ferocity for vitality. If you need more crit chance I would say use marauders if not just stay berserker.