Masteries take too long to level

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

Is it just me or they take really long to level? I do map event metas, and even for events that take 20+ more mins, I get around 5-8% of a level, meaning I would need to spend like an entire day playing to get a level…
Am I doing something wrong? or is it just that grindy? maybe they could reduce the exp needed?

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

A day to get one level is extremely fast in my book. This is meant to be a long term progression system, not something completed very, very quickly.

It also feels like it goes slower if you are actively grinding for it. My final bar went in 3 days whilst I was doing various events and achievements and that felt waaaaay too fast.

The xp gain is far, far quicker than getting the mastery points, so I don’t think it’s a major issue.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Not doing anything wrong it’s the way it is. Wait until you get all your masteries and you get nothing for exp.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

The higher up the mastery line, the more XP it takes to level. I’m not sure on the exact numbers, but I think it’s somewhere on the lines of a One Point mastery is worth 4 full levels, and it doubles with each progressive mastery in that line.

Main reason is I imagine is to make sure people didn’t just rush through them as quickly as you can rush through levels.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Avster.1935

Avster.1935

Don’t be so fixated on it, it comes with time. If you “grind” it, then it becomes frustrating. Otherwise, just play the game.

Evelyn Whitehawk | Exalted Legend | Demons’s Demise | I Transmuted My Legendary Medium Coat

coso.9173

I know it is supposed to take a while, but we’re already several months into HoT, and I’m not even close to finishing any of them. there are 20 mastery skills in Hot, and I dn’t think I’ll complete them before a year or so. I don’t play everyday but I would like to progress in something each day. Now that I have world completition, masteries is what I’m working on, but it feels horribly slow

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Don’t do 20+ minute events. Do lots of short events.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Sisriana.2384

Sisriana.2384

Best advice is to play as you normally do and don’t worry about the xp and how “fast” you’re gaining it. It does help if you have boosters (i.e. celebration and/or xp), food and utility items as well that give xp from kills and/or gathering. Also, gathering provides a bit of xp as well. I use to worry about xp gain as well but drove myself crazy and just played. I noticed I gained xp pretty quickly since I wasn’t paying attention to the bar.

#ThisRoseHasThorns
#LettuceLifeOP
#EloniaIsBae

Posted by: Tekoneiric.6817

Tekoneiric.6817

I wish they would just put more mastery points in central Tyria. Not everyone wants to do every element of the game just to unlock mastery points. I prefer exploring the PvE maps rather than doing stuff like Fractals. I did a bunch of hero stuff expecting to get mastery points only to find out that the wiki is “misleading”. I’m surprised that Honorary Skritt didn’t give a mastery point. That takes awhile to collect all the junk. There are other achievements that could award mastery points.

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

They are kind of annoying to unlock. Good thing I only wanted autoloot and not losing endurance while gliding. I also got the ones that were needed for the story. But I don’t even bother with the rest… x)

coso.9173

I guess I can do the same events over and over only so much times before getting bored. :/ I’ve managed to play the rest of the game without feeling like grinding, but I guess it can’t be done so easily in HoT…

Posted by: TerminalMontage.5693

TerminalMontage.5693

No they do not.

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Play content for other reasons/goals, and they’ll level themselves w/o you feeling like you’re grinding them.

~EW

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

You can get 1.5-2M XP in DS within an hour or so depending on the efficiency of the map. This is of course using boosters which all players have easy access to.

If you typically leveled up three times a day before HoT, continuing on with this trend would max out all of your masteries within 110 days. Given how many sources there are for earning XP, it’s hardly a grind. But then there are those that choose to make it so because they want to be finished today and then complain that there’s nothing to do once they are done and that they’re “wasting” experience as it’s no longer going anywhere.

Posted by: ShinyDay.5349

ShinyDay.5349

Well sure those levels take some time.
I came to 101 already, but my problem isn’t gaining experience, but geting more mastery points.
In my opinion, leveling for those masteries is the least of your problems. At least that’s how I feel about it. You have to do it only one time, and it will be avaliable on all accounts.
I went to Dragon Stand event map to get experience for it, and I get around 2-3M expeirnece from single map that takes like 60-90min to complete. That seems kinda fast for me. But it’s true that I used experience boosters that I farmed from WvW daily events etc. Still like 100 of those 20min boosters left, and it give 50% + 100% for kill streak which is pretty easy to keep at Dragon stand.

So in my opinion, leveling those masteries is even too easy.

But getting those mastery points on another hand … that is chalange for me. First 70 were kinda easy and was getting them from just playing around. Now that I’m at 101, I have to acctually look at my achivements and strugle with obtaining them.

And if you need experience for Tyria masteries … just go to SW and do events.

i7 4790, GTX 1070, SSD Samsung 850 EVO + HyperX Fury 480gb, Z97A Krait, 16GB 2133MHz CL10 DDR3,
Corsair RM650x, Fractal Define S (with window panel)

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

It’d be great if you could level up the mastery points anywhere in the world by just activating what you want to level.

Locking them behind Tyria and HoT and leaving PvP out of it is a turn off to me.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

Posted by: ShinyDay.5349

ShinyDay.5349

It’d be great if you could level up the mastery points anywhere in the world by just activating what you want to level.

Locking them behind Tyria and HoT and leaving PvP out of it is a turn off to me.

well to be fair, this is MMORPG not MOBA

i7 4790, GTX 1070, SSD Samsung 850 EVO + HyperX Fury 480gb, Z97A Krait, 16GB 2133MHz CL10 DDR3,
Corsair RM650x, Fractal Define S (with window panel)

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Keep in mind that it is a one time thing per account. If you had to do it per character, yes, it would be far too much. The design is balanced around giving you progression for long enough to hold your interest.

If you really don’t like the HoT areas then yes, I could see it feeling interminable. Or if you didn’t start HoT with enough mastery points to max it all out, maybe then too. Still overall I think it’s been a good way to keep (me at least) engaged with the game.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Is it just me or they take really long to level? I do map event metas, and even for events that take 20+ more mins, I get around 5-8% of a level, meaning I would need to spend like an entire day playing to get a level…
Am I doing something wrong? or is it just that grindy? maybe they could reduce the exp needed?

I had no trouble reaching the XP. I didn’t do any farming, I didn’t play a ton of HoT, and I mostly forgot to run my XP boosts. On the contrary, I feel that if they reduced the total XP, then instead of feeling like a progression system, it would just be annoying, i.e. remove the XP requirement or leave it alone; don’t reduce it.

(I think the system has other issues, notably that there’s no value for XP after maxing masteries and some of the masteries seem to be of low or no value, aside from being arbitrary content gates.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Which event takes 20+ minutes? Even for the gerent in TD there are additional events in the lane that award stuff separately.

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

well to be fair, this is MMORPG not MOBA

I’m not quite sure what you’re saying other than rhetoric but locking xp gain behind where you can get xp for mastery points is not how I would do things.

Less restrictions, more freedom.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

And then, one day in the future, you’ll have maxed the masteries and you’ll realise that all of them except gliding are only useful in the maps you are now tired of!

coso.9173

I’m mostly interested in gliding actually.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

when in need of fast xp use:

• XP booster (old) +50% xp(if you have acces)
  • XP booster (new) 50% xp (contains Killstreak booster)(100% xp when fully stacked)
    or heroic booster (=same for kills, just more expensive)
  • Celebration booster +100%xp for1 hour
    or Birthday booster (same lasts for 24 hours)
  • Guild banner +15% (buy for laurels/guild commendations)
  • Food (+10%, in some cases 15% xp)
  • Utility (+10% xp)
  • Guild Hall buff…. (+10% xp)

for +300-350% added XP when killing stuff….

the combination willlower actual killing time by a very substantial amount

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

+50% mob-kill bonus in the new patch.

Wish granted.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

The higher up the mastery line, the more XP it takes to level. I’m not sure on the exact numbers, but I think it’s somewhere on the lines of a One Point mastery is worth 4 full levels, and it doubles with each progressive mastery in that line.

Main reason is I imagine is to make sure people didn’t just rush through them as quickly as you can rush through levels.

i level 5X faster per 4 levels then even one single mastery level, they are grind fest food, nothing els.