Mastery points & annoying jumping puzzles

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Inshi.6970

Inshi.6970

Hey,
For starters I would like to say that I always valued GW2 for its versatility and many possible options to do one thing. For example you could exp by traditional grinding, discovering map, crafting, wvw – basically any way that was fun/good for you.
But… with the expansion I feel like anet is trying to fore people into (some pretty hard) things that were optional until now and not everyone were finding fun in participating in. In this case I would like to talk about jumping puzzles and tyrian/red mastery points linked to them.

Few examples:

Dive mastery – “Oh you would like this mastery point/achievement but you arent good/dont like jumping puzzles? Fine, we will put the googles on top of one of the harder jumping puzzles and will make you blind jump into 1pixel point below with multiple obstacles midway. You’re welcome.”
Honestly, I spent on that puzzle+googles over 4h, made 7+ unsuccesfull jumps. Didnt get an achievement but did get the feeling like quiting the game, gj anet. Person who projected this jp/google should go without salary until he or she finished it without single error.

Golden Lost Badges SW – another sick jumping puzzle map linked to the mastery point…

Fallen Hopes achievements – another (this time unexpectedly short – was the person designing it maybe not feeling well that day?) jumping puzzle that is mandatory to the whole chapter mastery point.

So here is my question, should we expect in the future more stuff like that? I mean there arent many mastery points to choose from at the moment, maybe it will change in near future, but the question is if we will be forced to play even the aspects of the game that we dont enjoy that much to be able to fully develop our characters?
Yes, Im not a big fun of jumping puzzles. Yes Im not very good at them. Yes, trying to get mastery point from them and failing for hours makes me regret buying the expansion…

So please fix it somehow…

Posted by: Lobo Dela Noche.5127

Lobo Dela Noche.5127

I agree, Its messed up. I actually like or at least I did like doing jumping puzzles but the ones you mentioned are BS. they are buggy and more about luck than skill. After trying to get those achievements for a few days I decided screw it. To hell with masteries if that’s what I have to do. If these JPs weren’t created as gold sinks it wouldn’t bother me so much but after wasting a gold on one gold coin, way pointing while falling over and over again, all I can think is that its a kittening waste of time and gold.

They need to attach MPs to more things and not just gold sinks or paid content like the LS.

Posted by: Leamas.5803

Leamas.5803

JPs have always been a core “feature” of GW2 and with the verticality of the HoT maps that becomes even more apparent. The worst part for many of the JPs is when you miss and have to get back. The Dive mastery one in SW you mention is a pain because it does not have much of a margin for error and takes a fair bit of time to get back to when you miss. Same goes for the one in VB, though that one isn’t as difficult. That said, you don’t have to do the JPs and the associated masteries…that’s still your prerogative, much like map completion and the JPs required for that.

My suggestion is look up a guide on youtube for the JPs you need to do and just pound them out to get them finished.

As a suggestion. Use your fall damage trait (I think every class has one). Turn off the double-tap to evade. Turn off any haste you have enabled. The spacing for the jumps in ALL jumping puzzles are spaced for regular speed. The only exception I can think of for this is the posts under the airship in the “Not So Secret” JP that have more irregular spacing. With haste turned on there are a handful of jumps that may be easier but in general you will overshoot landings like crazy and be generally frustrated to death, especially ones with tiny landing areas like Coddler’s Cove.

Inshi.6970

To be honest I really enjoyed most of the classic jumping puzzles like Spiral, Viziers Tower or the one in Firehart’s Rise with the mining shaft and quakes. Those were fun, sometimes easy, sometimes not puzzles where you had to find them first and then think a little on your way up/down.

But recent jumping puzzles or achievements with elements like “walk on 3 pixel wide line”, “jump into 1 pixel too-far-to-see pond” or “jump on the 2 pixel wide bamboo sticks and do 30° turn midair” are simple ragequit elements for me. Especially when you fail them for oven an hour and if you want to progress your character you HAVE to do them…

But lets face it, really good people will finish them, majority of the rest will buy them from mesmers for gold and the rest of the players will only get annoyed.
I belive that hard puzzles like that (and each other “additional” element of the game) should be optional, not mandatory in the terms of the endgame.

Anet please fire your platform game departament and lets get serious with the mmo part of the game. ..

Leamas.5803

To be honest I really enjoyed most of the classic jumping puzzles like Spiral, Viziers Tower or the one in Firehart’s Rise with the mining shaft and quakes. Those were fun, sometimes easy, sometimes not puzzles where you had to find them first and then think a little on your way up/down.

But recent jumping puzzles or achievements with elements like “walk on 3 pixel wide line”, “jump into 1 pixel too-far-to-see pond” or “jump on the 2 pixel wide bamboo sticks and do 30° turn midair” are simple ragequit elements for me. Especially when you fail them for oven an hour and if you want to progress your character you HAVE to do them…

But lets face it, really good people will finish them, majority of the rest will buy them from mesmers for gold and the rest of the players will only get annoyed.
I belive that hard puzzles like that (and each other “additional” element of the game) should be optional, not mandatory in the terms of the endgame.

Anet please fire your platform game departament and lets get serious with the mmo part of the game. ..

Some of them even mesmers can’t get you to. Morgan’s Spiral is probably my favorite. Branded Mine I think is the one you’re talking about is also good. The Dive one I’ll give you is a pain, but the one in VB isn’t bad, it’s honestly no worse than Branded mine. It’s just a long run back if you fall. There is a way up to it without using updraft and without having to wait for the meta. All you need is the bouncing mushroom mastery.

Posted by: whizkid.6194

whizkid.6194

Another small tip – Don’t use a Norn (or a Charr I would bet). It is a lot easier on something small like a human or asura.

Inshi.6970

The model doesnt really matter if you are used to its jumping animation. Fall damage masteries doesnt really help when you are falling down 5k+ distance (sw skritt ship part, not so secret googles, fallen hopes bamboo etc..), not to mention that in case of googles even if you survive missed landing you still fail and have to get back on top to redo the jump.

What really gets me is the difficulty of some jumps. For example if character can jump 20pixels up, then platform is at 19pixels up so you have to make a pull exactly at max height to make it, otherwise ofc you fall into nothigness and have to redo from start. I dont really mind restarting some puzzle when I fail some jump, but I have to see that its possible instead of seeing the animation where my character has only a nose at the level of next platform even tho it was max of its jump height. Thats way too confusing and leaves practically no room for error.

Aaaand I just spend whole 2h in the Fallen Hopes prt ttrying to get on that bamboo top to jump into the haystack. Cant get through part of jumping around vertical pale of bamboo near the top…

I guess I’ll leave that be and go play some-other-popular-moba-game for now…

Leamas.5803

Yes, granted there are some that are very high and you will die regardless. But some, such as Dark Reverie you can survive and with Dark Reverie, if you die and don’t have someone to res you, you have to redo Morgan’s Spiral to get back to it. Dark Reverie has the worst jump of all the JPs in the game. Anyone who has done it has died there at least once. You have to get it just right…that one is a 19/20 pixel jump.

GW2 is too big to worry about the stuff you can’t do…focus on the stuff you can do and enjoy.

Lobo Dela Noche.5127

The model doesnt really matter if you are used to its jumping animation. Fall damage masteries doesnt really help when you are falling down 5k+ distance (sw skritt ship part, not so secret googles, fallen hopes bamboo etc..), not to mention that in case of googles even if you survive missed landing you still fail and have to get back on top to redo the jump.

What really gets me is the difficulty of some jumps. For example if character can jump 20pixels up, then platform is at 19pixels up so you have to make a pull exactly at max height to make it, otherwise ofc you fall into nothigness and have to redo from start. I dont really mind restarting some puzzle when I fail some jump, but I have to see that its possible instead of seeing the animation where my character has only a nose at the level of next platform even tho it was max of its jump height. Thats way too confusing and leaves practically no room for error.

Aaaand I just spend whole 2h in the Fallen Hopes prt ttrying to get on that bamboo top to jump into the haystack. Cant get through part of jumping around vertical pale of bamboo near the top…

I guess I’ll leave that be and go play some-other-popular-moba-game for now…

That is hilarious as I keep turning off GW2 and playing LoL since it is less frustrating LMAO. I can’t believe I just said anything was less frustrating then LoL.

Lobo Dela Noche.5127

Yes, granted there are some that are very high and you will die regardless. But some, such as Dark Reverie you can survive and with Dark Reverie, if you die and don’t have someone to res you, you have to redo Morgan’s Spiral to get back to it. Dark Reverie has the worst jump of all the JPs in the game. Anyone who has done it has died there at least once. You have to get it just right…that one is a 19/20 pixel jump.

GW2 is too big to worry about the stuff you can’t do…focus on the stuff you can do and enjoy.

When you need MPs the only option is this crap or pull out the credit card to get gold for all the stupid collections.

Leamas.5803

When you need MPs the only option is this crap or pull out the credit card to get gold for all the stupid collections.

How’s a credit card going to help with MPs? I don’t like the collections either…so I don’t dwell on them and do do the stuff I enjoy.

Lobo Dela Noche.5127

How’s a credit card going to help with MPs? I don’t like the collections either…so I don’t dwell on them and do do the stuff I enjoy.

Pull out credit card, buy gems with credit card, then buy gold with gems you just bought with credit card, then buy items needed for collections with gold you just bought with gems you just bought with credit card.

some collections give MPs

(edited by Lobo Dela Noche.5127)

Posted by: dronzer.8392

dronzer.8392

Pull out credit card, buy gems with credit card, then buy gold with gems you just bought with credit card, then buy items needed for collections with gold you just bought with gems you just bought with credit card.

or pay a mesmer to do it for you?

I think the dev went a bit overboard with the whole idea of jump puzzles, probably because they didn’t have it in the original game so in this one they probably thought… yeah lets show these players that we can create an engine that allows jumping and we’re going to make you jump!

I’m all in for them don’t get me wrong but I just don’t feel they work as good as they could, especially as the 4 races are different in size so spatially it feels really different with each race.
I only do them if neccessary and even then I’m thinking “why am I doing this?!” haha

Leamas.5803

I didn’t realize this. Well, I’ll never have most of those MP as I rarely complete collections. I don’t enjoy doing them, so I don’t do them…and hell will freeze over before I pay for them. I just don’t care that much and there are usually multiple paths to get what I’m after. The only uber rare gear I’m after is now going to be Bifrost, which I will save up for the pre, then worry about everything else. Don’t like any of the newer armors and could care less about ascended anything.

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Dear ArenaNet : Stop putting collection parts behind jumping puzzles. I am close to giving up on this so called “legendary journey” becuase I ended up having to beg for help from mesmers to get past two cheap and badly designed puzzles (Aethertrash in Gendarran Fields and Portmatt’s Lab).

Posted by: Drew.7192

Drew.7192

JPs have always been a core “feature” of GW2

I don’t know that I would consider JP’s a “core” function of GW2, they’re more of a side feature (pre HoT). There was no requirement to do a single JP to advance your charter in any way in GW2 before HoT. Other than a little jumping to get to a vista, the actual “Jumping puzzles” on a map weren’t even a part of map completion. I’ve done a handful of JPs in GW2, none of them twice, and have never felt that I’ve missed out on anything by not doing them. They had nothing to do with my personal story, living story, toon advancement or skill sets. Not the case in HoT.

What I don’t get is that someone at ANET thought it would be such a great idea to make entire maps and charter progress gates based on a play style that a large part of your player base dislike. Someone at a very high pay grade at ANET is really out of touch.

Posted by: smiling.9028

smiling.9028

I disagree.

When it comes to Mastery points there is a finite amount of them and i can guarantee you that earning enough to gain all of your abilities means you ARE going to spend quite a bit of time doing things you would never do if given the choice of an alternative.

Specialization weapons in particular are an example of this. If you have ANY kind of motor skill impairments and JP’s are difficult for you then you will never see Glint’s Bastion unless you have someone log into your account. Another example is the Drone Race which is pretty much a gimme gold but is another classes requirement for the equal weapon.

Limiting this kind of item in this way is catering to the LTP crowd who will banter back that “nothing should be given it should be earned” with a sense of superiority derived from seeing others fail.

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

I disagree.

When it comes to Mastery points there is a finite amount of them and i can guarantee you that earning enough to gain all of your abilities means you ARE going to spend quite a bit of time doing things you would never do if given the choice of an alternative.

Specialization weapons in particular are an example of this. If you have ANY kind of motor skill impairments and JP’s are difficult for you then you will never see Glint’s Bastion unless you have someone log into your account. Another example is the Drone Race which is pretty much a gimme gold but is another classes requirement for the equal weapon.

Limiting this kind of item in this way is catering to the LTP crowd who will banter back that “nothing should be given it should be earned” with a sense of superiority derived from seeing others fail.

The irony of course is many of those jeering at others likely paid a Mesmer to get some of them in the first place!

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I can only assume you mean the Aetherblade Not So Secret JP for those diving goggles. It’s the only goggles I don’t have. Whoever decided blind jumping with high % of death and complete restart if you do die should be fired…

And those SW Gold badges, haha, some of those make every other JP in the game look like walking straight through a field of daisies.

I don’t care that a mastery point is behind that content, however. I just agree they are difficult.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: rsimoes.3851

rsimoes.3851

Guys cmon, there’s a total of 80 Mastery points you can get and you only need 49 for central tyria…

Sure there are some hard to get ones, but why go for those when you can go for the easy ones?

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

You can currently spend 49 mastery points on pact Tyria mastery lines.

• 30 points come from playing the personal story (22 points) and the season 2 storyline (8 points).
  • Fractals provide 14, 11 of which you need for the fractals mastery line and can safely skip if you don’t play fractals.
  • 14 points are available through boss kills: 5 from the Silverwastes legendaries, 5 from Triple Trouble, 2 from Tequatl, one from the Karka Queen, and one from the Skritt Queen in Dry Top
  • 5 points are available through collections: Ambrite Weapons, Ascended Accoutrement, Bioluminescense, Fractal Master and the spoon collection (none of these being exactly “pull out the credit card to get gold” material)
  • 8 points are available from the season 2 story achievements, with some chapters being easier to earn than others)
  • the remaining 11 points range from getting one character to lvl 80, earning 100% world exploration, two jps (Silverwastes and Hidden Garden), the dive master, the karka hunt in LA and other odds and ends

This comes down to a total of 80 Pact Tyria mastery points available, of which you can at most spend 49. Compared to the HoT masteries, Pact Tyria gives you a huge selection. I know I have neither collected those golden badges, nor finished the dive master achievement, nor even tried Tripple Trouble even once, but without those points I’m already well into 50+ Pact Tyria mastery points. Don’t hit your head against specific achievements, I’m sure there’s others you can do much easier to gain all the points you need.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Actually, the mastery points encouraged me to complete the Dive Master and Golden Lost Badges achievement with my Asura necromancer. I ended up using Spectral Walk quite a lot during some of those puzzles, it saved me many times (that 1 minute cooldown however…)

All I can say now is thank the Alchemy that those are over and done with.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

I can only assume you mean the Aetherblade Not So Secret JP for those diving goggles. It’s the only goggles I don’t have. Whoever decided blind jumping with high % of death and complete restart if you do die should be fired…

When doing these types of dives, locate the pool you’re supposed to land in first and stand in it. At your current position, add a marker to your minimap. Now go do the dive and aim for the marker. Optionally watch a video to learn the fall beforehand.

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

When doing these types of dives, locate the pool you’re supposed to land in first and stand in it. At your current position, add a marker to your minimap. Now go do the dive and aim for the marker. Optionally watch a video to learn the fall beforehand.

Top tip there, why didn’t I think of that.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.