Mastery points in Gem store

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Korval.3751

Korval.3751

I’m at an impasse where I can get more mastery points, but it requires doing content I don’t want to do like raiding, WVW, PVP, complex metas, older content that no one is doing anymore, and so forth. Back in Guild Wars 1 people could buy skill packs. It didn’t change the scope of the game. It just allowed players access to elite skills that would be otherwise difficult to obtain.

Could this work for mastery points in the gem store?

Posted by: SummerRayne.4672

SummerRayne.4672

/Sigh, please no. Don’t ever do this.

I honestly don’t get gamers these days. You want the reward but don’t want to do the actual content to get those rewards. I truly don’t get it. Isn’t that what a game is? Playing it for fun and to work towards getting the rewards you want? If I want something badly enough in a game, I have always done the content required without complaint. To me, that’s what playing a game is. If I truly hate the content, why am I playing? If the reward isn’t worth it to me, it’s simple. I don’t do that content.

And oh, GW1 and 2 are two very different games. In the original most of the game was instanced and you had your heroes or henchman and you only saw other players in hubs, outposts, cities, etc. unless they were in your party. This game is very different from that.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

No, that is not the right solution for this game. The answer is already been or being implemented. They added 9 new mastery points in Tyria to open world maps in for us to walk up to and get. Easy, no groups, JPs, metas, bosses required.

Posted by: nosleepdemon.1368

nosleepdemon.1368

I recently looked at getting central Tyrian mastery points and yeah… Most of that stuff is just labourious, and I don’t fancy doing any of it. With that said, I think the purpose of mastery points was to get players out into the old zones to keep them alive, and to recycle old content. I’m not sure how buying mastery points from the store will play into that. Maybe we just need less horrible ways to acquire them.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Why do you even need to? You can get all masteries already fairly easy without picking the hardest achievements. Putting them in the gemstore is a terrible idea.

Posted by: Korval.3751

Korval.3751

It’s no less different than level 80 boosters. Anet has spread out masteries too thin among all types of content. This is creating a situation where people run into impasses for mastery points. I don’t do raiding, WVW, PVP, complex metas, older content that no one is doing anymore, fractals and so forth. I’m don’t want stuff given to me, but at the same time, I don’t want to be forced to play types of content that I don’t like.

If Anet added more content type masteries then that would be great, but they haven’t. So throw them into the gem store for those that need one or two more mastery points.

Posted by: HwaRyun.1807

HwaRyun.1807

I’m don’t want stuff given to me, but at the same time, I don’t want to be forced to play types of content that I don’t like.

- I would like the WvW armour, but i hate WvW, so i don’t do it.
- I would like the pvp backpiece but i just can’t stomach enough pvp to actually finish it.
- I’d love to be able to get the legendary trinket, but it’s too much boring open world grind that i can’t stand.

BUT

- I love making legendaries so i do map completions even though i despise it.
- Legendaries require gifts of battle, so i do WvW even though i hate it because, as mentioned, i love making legendaries.

All scenarios are things i hate doing, the only difference between them is that the reward was worth to me than the pain of the grind was awful. It’s about weighing up the effort required for the reward at the end, if you can’t be bothered to the do the content, then you don’t really want the reward enough.

So quit whining on the forum at a non-issue and go do masteries. Or don’t, and accept that some things are out of your reach.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Because level 80 boosts don’t show mastery. You can stay in Queensdale and level a character from level 2 to level 80. Players use tomes of knowledge to level up characters.

Mastery points signify that you’ve got mastery of the game. That you can find or do the content required to achieve it.

If you want the mastery points, suck it up and do the content you don’t want to do long enough to get the points you need. Because you gain nothing critical to the ability to play the game from getting the mastery points and unlocking masteries.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

I don’t do raiding, WVW, PVP, complex metas, older content that no one is doing anymore, fractals and so forth. I’m don’t want stuff given to me, but at the same time, I don’t want to be forced to play types of content that I don’t like.

Then the question is… why do you deserve to have all the masteries?

This to me is in the same box as people complaining over and over and over again about the horrific gameplay ruining 6 hours they have to spend in WvW to get the gift of battle for a legendary.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I’m don’t want stuff given to me, but at the same time, I don’t want to be forced to play types of content that I don’t like.

- I would like the WvW armour, but i hate WvW, so i don’t do it.
- I would like the pvp backpiece but i just can’t stomach enough pvp to actually finish it.
- I’d love to be able to get the legendary trinket, but it’s too much boring open world grind that i can’t stand.

BUT

- I love making legendaries so i do map completions even though i despise it.
- Legendaries require gifts of battle, so i do WvW even though i hate it because, as mentioned, i love making legendaries.

All scenarios are things i hate doing, the only difference between them is that the reward was worth to me than the pain of the grind was awful. It’s about weighing up the effort required for the reward at the end, if you can’t be bothered to the do the content, then you don’t really want the reward enough.

So quit whining on the forum at a non-issue and go do masteries. Or don’t, and accept that some things are out of your reach.

You list cosmetics as the things you want that are gated behind content you do not like. The OP mentions basic character progression behind which content is gated. The difference is significant.

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

This is not that different from selling lvl 80 boosts tbh. It does the same type of damage to the game and players.

Posted by: killermanjaro.5670

killermanjaro.5670

Given that actually there are plenty of masteries available, it sounds more like another case of someone wanting rewards without actually putting any effort in, or playing the game. The core tyria ones I guess had lower available points if you didn’t have LS2, but they’ve since added 9 extra that take zero effort to help.

I don’t do raiding, WVW, PVP, complex metas, older content that no one is doing anymore, fractals and so forth. I’m don’t want stuff given to me, but at the same time, I don’t want to be forced to play types of content that I don’t like.

Not really sure what “older content that no one is doing” is, as people still do dungeons etc, and core maps are soloable by all. But if you don’t do those, don’t like raids, WvW, PvP, complex metas (not sure which are “complex” ones), and don’t like fractals, then I’m not entirely sure what you’re doing in the game, as that pretty much rules out all the modes.

*edit – incidentally I didn’t think PvP or WvW even had any connection to masteries, so I’m not even sure why they’ve been brought up to start with.

(edited by killermanjaro.5670)

Posted by: Azoqu.8917

Azoqu.8917

You list cosmetics as the things you want that are gated behind content you do not like. The OP mentions basic character progression behind which content is gated. The difference is significant.

For core Tyria, they are all not needed. If you want the fractal masteries, there is more than enough in fractals for all of them. For pact, doing the story and the 9 new open world masteries should be more than enough. For Legendaries, if you’re not willing to grind out those mastery points, how are you going to grind out a legendary?

For HoT, besides gliding, everything else is only needed at rank 2-3 unless you actually spend time in the jungle. And if you do spend time in the jungle then you probably have the mastery points. The raid mastery points were added so that you can train the raid mastery with them.

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

What mastery points are you missing? Have you looked at the list at all? Reason I ask is because WvW and PvP don’t award any mastery points.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery_point_unlocks

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

On one hand, we can argue that we did the content to get the Mastery points, so why not you.

However on the other hand it was easier to get those points with everyone doing them at the same time, including guilds actively helping guildies out with current content. It’s easiet to get help and someone to play along with when content is fresh than when it’s a couple of years or more old. Now players are going solo through old content and trying to round up people to help out with the harder bits.

It’s one of the faults of the mastery system that playing old, abandoned content is required for current character progression. ANet might need to look at a system to help out new or returned players to progress mastery tracks based on old content. If enough hit a stopping place where they have to solo play long stretches of old, abandoned content then they might stop completely.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Ariurotl.3718

Ariurotl.3718

What is this “old abandoned content”, exactly? I can’t think of any off the top of my head that isn’t still being done regularly or at the very least on “daily” days.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

I don’t do raiding, WVW, PVP, complex metas, older content that no one is doing anymore, fractals and so forth.

Why do you even log in then? What would not having mastery points even hinder you from doing?

I’m genuinely curious.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

TBH the mastery levels should go away. They fly in the face of what Anet said they would never do in GW2: raise the level cap.

You recognize that the two progressions aren’t remotely equal, right? Leveling is per character, while mastery is account bound. Leveling adds to base stats and abilities, while masteries fall into a couple of categories:

• Optional benefits to rewards, e.g. city swiftness, autolooting, increased loot in fractals.
  • Content-specific gating, e.g. mushroom jumps & gliding, e.g. anti poison, and quite a lot of LS-3 masteries.
  • Optional-crafting gates, e.g. legendary crafting mastery, some of exalted.

None of those are required in core Tyria and none of those are required for HoT Tyria unless you are participating in the content that would unlock them for you. For example, there are enough mastery unlocks via fractals to unlock all of the fractal masteries without leaving fractals and enough other points outside of them to unlock all the other other masteries without stepping foot in fractals.

In short, masteries are an optional form of progression, with lots of wiggle room so that we can entirely avoid content we hate & still unlock the relevant masteries for the content we like.

That’s why it’s inappropriate to sell them in the gem shop. I really don’t care about anyone’s perception of prestige either.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Tanner Blackfeather.6509

There is one MP that actually requires WvW – Koutalophile has one spoon that only drops there.
To my knowledge, that is the only MP that needs any non-PvE play.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Were ANet to sell Mastery Points for gems, we would doubtless see complaints about “Pay to Win.” They’d be incorrect, as they usually are. However, such a move would be perilously close to the line. If ANet bowed to this desire, pressure would increase to allow gems to be used for Elite Specs. Given the near-consensus that Elite Specs are core powerful than the alternatives, that line would be crossed. Concessions to player desires to pay for access to game mechanics can put us on a slippery slope. Let’s not take that step.

Posted by: Hevoskuuri.3891

Hevoskuuri.3891

I’m currently 15 points short from the max mastery level, my only missing ones are the two last core tyrian legendary crafting masteries. I’m not interested in legendary crafting, but I’d like to max them out before the xpac hits just for the sake of completion. I’ve calculated that 5-6 will be a walk in the park, but the rest will take time to achieve in some parts of the game I’m not so excited about.

But hey, that’s life. I think GW2 already has too many shortcuts, the max mastery level is a true indicator of something achieved by yourself and not bought with gems, a symbol of veterancy if you will. So if you want it, work for it. Besides, getting the mastery points in this game isn’t so hard anyway. I’ve gotten from 0 to 178 in a year or so, with mostly casual gameplay.

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

There is one MP that actually requires WvW – Koutalophile has one spoon that only drops there.
To my knowledge, that is the only MP that needs any non-PvE play.

I stand corrected

Also, if anyone is not aware the recent patch added a bunch (9??) new MPs to core Tyria… all just communes. And the LS3 maps add more HoT MPs than their respective mastery unlocks consume… again, the majority of these aren’t difficult.

Posted by: The Greyhawk.9107

The Greyhawk.9107

It’s no less different than level 80 boosters. Anet has spread out masteries too thin among all types of content. This is creating a situation where people run into impasses for mastery points. I don’t do raiding, WVW, PVP, complex metas, older content that no one is doing anymore, fractals and so forth. I’m don’t want stuff given to me, but at the same time, I don’t want to be forced to play types of content that I don’t like.

If Anet added more content type masteries then that would be great, but they haven’t. So throw them into the gem store for those that need one or two more mastery points.

So basically you don’t want to play the game. Cool.

Edit: Also, to whoever said “TBH the mastery levels should go away. They fly in the face of what Anet said they would never do in GW2: raise the level cap.” they never actually said that. Unless you have a link to prove me wrong.

Hate is Fuel.

(edited by The Greyhawk.9107)

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Mastery points were ArenaNet’s response to players playing however they wanted to. The problem with giving players freedom is that they’ll abuse it, such as those leveling to 80 in Queensdale then complaining about it. Forcing specific content however, especially what was previously optional achievements, is not the solution. ArenaNet’s justification however was likely that masteries weren’t actually required and the ones that were could easily be obtained. ArenaNet’s mistake was trying to sell it as the new level cap, when it’s really nothing more than achievement points.

What would it have been like if ArenaNet stuck to their original design goals? Imagine if masteries no longer required experience and instead leveling provided you with an expansion-specific hero point which could be used to buy mastery points or spirit shards. Play however you want, though actually playing the content would be much faster.

They fly in the face of what Anet said they would never do in GW2: raise the level cap." they never actually said that. Unless you have a link to prove me wrong.

Prior to the original launch, Colin talked about raising the level cap one day:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/tx1us/colin_johanssonwe_absolutely_would_increase_the/

With HoT however, he said they’d never do it:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-01-29-guild-wars-2-heart-of-thorns-expansion-level-cap-gear-tier

Posted by: The Greyhawk.9107

The Greyhawk.9107

They fly in the face of what Anet said they would never do in GW2: raise the level cap." they never actually said that. Unless you have a link to prove me wrong.

Prior to the original launch, Colin talked about raising the level cap one day:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/tx1us/colin_johanssonwe_absolutely_would_increase_the/

With HoT however, he said they’d never do it:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-01-29-guild-wars-2-heart-of-thorns-expansion-level-cap-gear-tier

So basically they, or Colin specifically, Flip-flopped.

Hate is Fuel.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

On one hand, we can argue that we did the content to get the Mastery points, so why not you.

However on the other hand it was easier to get those points with everyone doing them at the same time, including guilds actively helping guildies out with current content. It’s easiet to get help and someone to play along with when content is fresh than when it’s a couple of years or more old. Now players are going solo through old content and trying to round up people to help out with the harder bits.

It’s one of the faults of the mastery system that playing old, abandoned content is required for current character progression. ANet might need to look at a system to help out new or returned players to progress mastery tracks based on old content. If enough hit a stopping place where they have to solo play long stretches of old, abandoned content then they might stop completely.

I would argue it’s easier to get most mastery points now, because more people know content. There may not be more people running AB or TD, say, but then, AB and TD fail a lot less often than they used to.