Maybe GW2 is not for me...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: raiaknl.6348

raiaknl.6348

So the Halloween event started, great.
I went to the vendors to see the rewards and had a bug in my head.
The vendor sells an item to craft Gift Of Souls, ok… So… What the hell is gift of souls? How am I supposed to know about it without going to Dulfy, wiki, forum?? The game doesn’t provide me ANY information.
Am I doing the whole event? Is there a path that I can follow so I don’t lose anything from the event? No, it’s just there on LA and I have no idea what’s going on…
Then I see in chat “I’m crafting the event wings”, wait.. You can craft the event wings? It isn’t in the vendors, how am I supposed to know that I can craft some wings with the event theme?
And then after some research I found out that I need to get the recipe to craft the 1st part, then gather some materials to finish the 2nd part and discover the other recipe to let me craft the other part to complete the 1st one, mix it on the MF and get a recipe to craft the last part of the 1st part and discover the super recipe to craft the ultra part to finish the first recipe of the parts… (well, you got the idea of my point).

So, why the game does not provide me informations? Why do I REALLY NEED wiki? I don’t mind using wiki, but give me some info about “this item craft gift of souls”…

Last thing, I thought I would do the event, get some tokens and buy rewards with them, final rewards… Not crafting recipes that I need other 40 recipes to maybe craft a themed wings.
If the vendor sells the wings and it costs 50 tokens, i’ll farm the event and get the wings, but Gw2 is way too complicated on this aspect.

Posted by: Kill.3458

Kill.3458

Not gonna lie the discovery based crafting can DEFINETLY be a nuisance >.<

Posted by: SeriousSituation.3462

SeriousSituation.3462

I will say that after reading your position, you are not taking into account very specific things…

This is an MMO, not a singleplayer game. MMOs are all about building communities/taking part in adventures together. Your issue with the “wiki” sort of speaks to this idea that you should be able to do everything by yourself (note, I’m not saying you said it, but it is the idea that you’re speaking towards). The wiki is a culmination of players trying to help each other.

If you think Dulfy does everything by herself, you’d be sorely mistaken. She has a guild that helps her and supports her efforts in leading the information train to keep players that maybe don’t have the time to figure it all out, informed. This doesn’t just help those on a time crunch, it also helps stabilize the economy when new things come out.

All of that to say this: Your expectations are skewed. What you describe is more of a complaint of the genre of MMOs being capable of being completely single player. Not really a strictly gw2 thing.

Posted by: Substatic.6958

Substatic.6958

This event was mostly for TP barons and gold buyers.

Posted by: Gambit.8425

Gambit.8425

This event was mostly for TP barons and gold buyers.

This. Because the game have a gemstore we’re always going to feel its effect to some degree, so buy with grinded money to inflated prices or use a credit card. Your choice, play how you want!

Luckily, all of those things are purely optional to downright horrible and a nuisance (Queen bee) and has never caught my interest (Legs isn’t in this category).

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

What you are requesting is way too much information for an in game description.
Take candy corn as an example- you can eat it or you can craft with it. All “professions” can use it, but it can also be used to be turned into cobs of candy corn which are used to buy other items.
How is it too much to ask for to use the wiki?
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Piece_of_Candy_Corn
I like the wiki, everything is linked and listed, I just have to get to what exactly I want to know and click the links. If the description were in game I’d spend ages just to get one “simple information”.
I get where you’re coming from but I think the GW2 wiki is really good -as is Dulfy’s site. So maybe yeah, if you dislike this then maybe you don’t like MMOs in general.
Btw: I played wow first and I spent more time googeling all kinds of stuff than playing the game- there was no wiki back then, I think. It was aweful and the items had no real descriptions at all asfar as I can remember. When I started with GW2 I took the liberty to be a noob and just did what I wanted to do with “I don’t need to know that yet” in mind.

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

I will say that after reading your position, you are not taking into account very specific things…

This is an MMO, not a singleplayer game. MMOs are all about building communities/taking part in adventures together. Your issue with the “wiki” sort of speaks to this idea that you should be able to do everything by yourself (note, I’m not saying you said it, but it is the idea that you’re speaking towards). The wiki is a culmination of players trying to help each other.

If you think Dulfy does everything by herself, you’d be sorely mistaken. She has a guild that helps her and supports her efforts in leading the information train to keep players that maybe don’t have the time to figure it all out, informed. This doesn’t just help those on a time crunch, it also helps stabilize the economy when new things come out.

All of that to say this: Your expectations are skewed. What you describe is more of a complaint of the genre of MMOs being capable of being completely single player. Not really a strictly gw2 thing.

Great rundown of MMOs 12 years ago. Crafting anything is, and should be a solo endeavor unless mats are in defined group content. Anything not gated by entry group restrictions should be solo. Even world bosses are generally a cluster of solo players.

Much Wiki info is contributed by, gasp, Solo players.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Posted by: drgast.1469

drgast.1469

I think you’re looking at this wrong. The wiki and things like Dulfy are tremendous resources that other games (that DO need such things) sorely lack. I’ve never played an MMO that spoon fed me on how to accomplish everything in game. Guild Wars 2 is definitely not going to teach you how to play very often. It’s a game that will require you to figure things out and if you can’t or need some help…that’s why there are resources to fall back on.

So, to answer your thought process…if you’re looking for a game that will go…

1) Grab spoon
2) Pick up spoon
3) Move spoon to food
4) Insert spoon into food
5) Move spoon from food to mouth
6) Insert spoon with food into mouth
7) Eat food. Don’t eat spoon.

…then perhaps Guild Wars 2 is not your game. /endsnark

Posted by: Ape Ghosting.7396

Ape Ghosting.7396

welcome to semi modern online gaming where devs are lazy and push the players to do their jobs in search of game related info. Just about 99% of games does this, you are not alone. Try metal gear5….now thats annoying trying to learn whats going on ingame.

Posted by: SeriousSituation.3462

SeriousSituation.3462

Great rundown of MMOs 12 years ago. Crafting anything is, and should be a solo endeavor unless mats are in defined group content. Anything not gated by entry group restrictions should be solo. Even world bosses are generally a cluster of solo players.

Much Wiki info is contributed by, gasp, Solo players.

Solo players who have the ability to contribute to the wiki = might very well have more time on their hands than the average player. The fact that they use that time to still make a contribution to the community speaks volumes to my point. Those who don’t have all the time in the world/who aren’t as experienced with navigating new content can still contribute to the community by actually being a part of it.

Heart of Thorns talked about a LOT of new content changes to make things a lot more group oriented and introduce new mechanics into boss fights to actually make them challenging. I don’t really mind that some materials actually require others to help me in order to get them. I crafted all of my own ascended gear and obtained the trinkets. So if the main gripe is about Heart of Thorns specifically, they already told us that this is what it would be many months in advanced.

Posted by: Substatic.6958

Substatic.6958

Since the only decent item is impossible to get for most players, can you at least fix the chains on the glove-shackles to actually move around?

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

No not every MMO is for everybody.

In fact among those I follow, 3 of which are leading MMOs and one of which is hoping at a second chance… I would say they all appeal to a very different crowd… But for some reason I stick it out in the latter 3 of them…

If this isn’t the game for you, move on. You will find that contrary to popular opinion, MMOs don’t have a unified style…

GW2 is the MMO that does NOT explain what is going on, but has all the clues there to be found if you can figure out how to look for them. The actual play of the game is rather easy, the lure is this very exploration and lack of explanation.

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

The vendor sells an item to craft Gift Of Souls, ok… So… What the hell is gift of souls? How am I supposed to know about it without going to Dulfy, wiki, forum?? The game doesn’t provide me ANY information.

Ask. You can ask the Wiki, a fansite like Dulfy, the forum, or just other players in game.

As for the “Nightfury” shoulder piece, there’s been an extensive effort by fans on Reddit (and, I assume, elsewhere) to figure it out. I can’t say whether it’s been too hard for them to enjoy it, but I think they enjoyed a large part of the process, and I know people have enjoyed similar mysteries in the past. (Like last Halloween, when John Smith teased the recipe for the Reaper of Souls.)

There isn’t complete information handed to you in-game about all of the Halloween rewards, but I think it’s also good to keep in mind all the straightforward activities and rewards (Ascent to Madness dungeon, Labyrinth zone, Halloween achivements, Clocktower jumping puzzle,) (trade candy corn for an outfit, minis, bags, etc.)

You don’t need to do everything to have a good time, and if you’re bent on doing everything, you need to realize that, in this case, that might include content for people who have different ways of enjoying the game. (Using wiki, puzzling it out on a community site like Reddit, etc.)

The bat shoulders and the process behind them don’t appeal to me, but I never gave it a second thought that the Gift of Souls doesn’t spell out what it’s for. It’s an MMO, it’s a big world.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

There’s a /wiki command ingame because you’re supposed to use it, the discovery based crafting system isn’t supposed to be readily apparent right away.

The reason things have multiple stages is so that you can have a few milestones splitting up the process.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Am I doing the whole event? Is there a path that I can follow so I don’t lose anything from the event? No, it’s just there on LA and I have no idea what’s going on…
Then I see in chat “I’m crafting the event wings”, wait.. You can craft the event wings? It isn’t in the vendors, how am I supposed to know that I can craft some wings with the event theme?
And then after some research I found out that I need to get the recipe to craft the 1st part, then gather some materials to finish the 2nd part and discover the other recipe to let me craft the other part to complete the 1st one, mix it on the MF and get a recipe to craft the last part of the 1st part and discover the super recipe to craft the ultra part to finish the first recipe of the parts… (well, you got the idea of my point).

So, why the game does not provide me informations? Why do I REALLY NEED wiki? I don’t mind using wiki, but give me some info about “this item craft gift of souls”…

Last thing, I thought I would do the event, get some tokens and buy rewards with them, final rewards… Not crafting recipes that I need other 40 recipes to maybe craft a themed wings.
If the vendor sells the wings and it costs 50 tokens, i’ll farm the event and get the wings, but Gw2 is way too complicated on this aspect.

Yes you are right: The instructions in GW2 are really minimal. Just for combat for example, combo fields aren’t explicated anywhere. Crafting is not something GW2 does really well, it’s functional, but often more complex than it should be. If the game included the wiki page for each craft-able item or a step-by-step guide for the hardest items it would certainly help.

Where is great wiki resources online however and dulfy has great guides.

Posted by: Doug Whisper.2465

Doug Whisper.2465

Maybe as a single player game. As for a MMO, crafting in GW2 itself is a puzzle game which requires community cooperation to solve. And the community is good enough to share it rather than keep it for themselves.

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

Maybe as a single player game. As for a MMO, crafting in GW2 itself is a puzzle game which requires community cooperation to solve. And the community is good enough to share it rather than keep it for themselves.

you do know that the community ONLY shares these things to jump the prices on the TP. Look at the bottle for nightfury, 500G. It was 14G 3 days ago….

Crafting in this game seriously sucks. There needs to be better clues, maybe quests that are used for unlocks that give better information..ect.

the only exception is the mystic forge, I like how that is done. Cause its pure RNGness :-)

But crafting needs some love from the devs. Updated UI, better hint system,…ect.

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

So not only are these guys crafting these shoulders and unlocking the skin, but they also able to list the skin on the TP for 6,500Gold as well?

Think about how much gold it was just to list that item. And it probably won’t even sell.

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

So not only are these guys crafting these shoulders and unlocking the skin, but they also able to list the skin on the TP for 6,500Gold as well?

Think about how much gold it was just to list that item. And it probably won’t even sell.

perhaps, but there are always meme’s with mommy’s and daddy’s credit cards :-)

so who knows :-)

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

Posted by: BearAE.1042

BearAE.1042

you do know that the community ONLY shares these things to jump the prices on the TP. Look at the bottle for nightfury, 500G. It was 14G 3 days ago….

Crafting in this game seriously sucks. There needs to be better clues, maybe quests that are used for unlocks that give better information..ect.

the only exception is the mystic forge, I like how that is done. Cause its pure RNGness :-)

But crafting needs some love from the devs. Updated UI, better hint system,…ect.

They spent the time and effort into figuring this out. Maybe even gold on failures and even reported on their progress during it (they didn’t have to do that at all). And its “not fair” for them to be rewarded for figuring it out?
There are posts all over reddit, the forums here, and probably other places about how and what does/doesn’t make it.
They put in the effort to figure it out and got rewarded for it. Don’t know why you’re making it sound so unfair.

And yes the Batwing Brew went up because people wanted to make it not some conspiracy for a get rich quick scheme. Tattered wings went up by 10gold in a matter of an hour earlier today.
“Supply & Demand” – The Economy

The clues are there, even the devs gave out a clue.
If you can’t- look for help ASK for help… this is Guild Wars 2 people actually help here.

Posted by: Charming Rogue.8071

Charming Rogue.8071

So, to answer your thought process…if you’re looking for a game that will go…

1) Grab spoon
2) Pick up spoon
3) Move spoon to food
4) Insert spoon into food
5) Move spoon from food to mouth
6) Insert spoon with food into mouth
7) Eat food. Don’t eat spoon.

…then perhaps Guild Wars 2 is not your game. /endsnark

The instructions weren’t clear enough. I got my spoon caught in the ceiling fan.

Desolation – EU – [KING] – Immortal Kingdom

Posted by: fixit.7189

fixit.7189

While wiki does have some good info, I find it’s usually outdated and no I am not going to update b/c I go there to find answers to questions yet I rarely get it there…just like these forums, I go to look at “post your build threads” and most them are 2 years old. It seems only the good info sources that are updated is places that have nothing to do with Anet at all.

(edited by fixit.7189)

Jana.6831

While wiki does have some good info, I find it’s usually outdated and no I am not going to update b/c I go there to find answers to questions yet I rarely get it there…just like these forums, I go to look at “post your build threads” and most them are 2 years old. It seems only the good info sources that are updated is places that have nothing to do with Anet at all.

What do builds have to do with a wiki?

Posted by: fixit.7189

fixit.7189

Absolutely nothing, I said wiki AND these forums have outdated info. Please read again.

Look at this thread for instance!

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/thief/Guide-to-Thief-Guides

2 years old since last update and stickied. Yea, ok.

(edited by fixit.7189)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

OP, I understand where you’re coming from and I’d like to see more things attained in game without having to go to the wiki. That’s one of my biggest issues with the game. It’s worse with something like halloween because it’s a limited time event. You don’t really have time to figure stuff out.

But there’s also crafting like mawdrey which is far more confusing but something you can eventually figure out if you bang your head against it enough. It’s a long term goal, a major quest and it’s a pain in the rear, but it’s doable.

But judging the entire game on your early experiences isn’t necessary the best way to go about things, particularly here. This game was made for people to not be told what to do. It’s actually a selling point. I don’t want to follow an arrow around. I want to explore and discover.

Unfortunately, part of that process will be going to a wiki. However, I don’t have to do it nearly as often as you might think.

Jana.6831

Absolutely nothing, I said wiki AND these forums have outdated info. Please read again.

Look at this thread for instance!

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/thief/Guide-to-Thief-Guides

2 years old since last update and stickied. Yea, ok.

And again a post about builds – a wiki doesn’t list builds.
I read again, I hope you read what you wrote again as well.
The wiki is pretty much up to date but we just had a major patch so things might take a bit longer.
If you want builds (which wiki isn’t for), google metabattle – but I’m warning you even those aren’t up to date as we’ve had a major patch in june and a week ago, so people are still trying to figure things out.
If you want to play thief, well then good luck, you can basically use whatever build you like, you’ll die instantly – that’s as much advise as I can give you as a 2 years thief main.

ETA: Oh and btw, read the most recent post in old threads – not sure if there is any in the sticky post you’ve mentioned, but I’m pretty sure they aren’t 2 years old.

ETA²: And you can always ask nicely on any forum if someone can give you build advise – but you should know by then wherefore and what weapons you want to use so people have a clue how to help you.

ETA³: Yeah, you compared an for you outdated wiki with for you outdated forums – and I finally answered that. Wiki is really fast, as soon as info is availlable they have it. Just that there’s too much new stuff right now – the same with builds and also that there is no viable build for thieves. If you want it for PvE then you can run any build you’re personally comfortable with, unless for fast dungeon runs in which you want to have as much damage as possible – but I guess even for dungeons thief will be replaced pretty soon.

(edited by Jana.6831)

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

If you can’t- look for help ASK for help… this is Guild Wars 2 people actually help here.

Or just insult you. Its a 50/50 chance.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Do you ever wish that they would re-skin the wiki and present it in a game window rather than catapulting us back to the real world to read stuff?

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

the complexity of MMORPG quickly surpasses any reasonable in game explanation, so Wikis and the like are the way to go. That of cause does not excuse not pointing people in the right direction or a distinct lack of explanations regarding core game mechanics.

Posted by: Apophis.2498

Apophis.2498

The item you speak of is an intentionally super rare thing that was added this year for Halloween. Its taken days for someone to actually figure out the recipe. I know its up on the Dulfy’s website.

The info on the wiki site is user generated, so yes it can take time for new things to show up.

Posted by: InsidiousWaffle.7086

InsidiousWaffle.7086

I mean, most stuff is based around player discovery, and community achievement. For example, imagine if each person had to figure out how to craft night fury, and how much it would suck. Because of how the system with wiki’s and forums works, there was a sense of elation and excitement that couldn’t have been generated in-game

Posted by: MasterGuruu.8345

MasterGuruu.8345

Another thing to do is ask the players around you. When I don’t know something but I am curious about it I ask some one who might know more information.

There will always be the person who calls you a noob or what ever, but i find that most people are helpful and will answer your questions as much as possible.

Posted by: Gimli.9461

Gimli.9461

This is an MMO, not a singleplayer game. MMOs are all about building communities/taking part in adventures together.

Wrong. MMO like anything else is about making money, first and foremost. So if there are paying players out there who don’t give a durp about building communities, they need to be taken into account.

Posted by: SelenaDread.2814

SelenaDread.2814

Am I missing something here? Does this not completely destroy the whole aspect of exploration in an MMO?

Posted by: Drow.2081

Drow.2081

Hay you think Anet is bad try playing a game made by Square Enix! Lolz, you don’t know pain. The problem with games like these (and it is not because they are mmo’s there are single player console games built like a wizard’s research emporium also) is if you are goal driven to experience every aspect you’ll stumble.

There are easy, medium, and hard goals in GW2. Everything is bragging rights and nothing is important unless you make it so. So “let it go.” You don’t have to accomplish everything just because Sue, John, and Henry did.

As far as it being the right game for you my advice is learn programming and make your own game. It will take the same amount of time as accomplishing silly goals in playing games and you will have more self esteem in the end. And bragging rights.

I also post on guildwars2guru.

Posted by: Mirion.9361

Mirion.9361

Bad enough these forum modders dont know how to handle their buisness lol

Posted by: jenzie.4083

jenzie.4083

haha this reminds me of my first days in Anarchy Online in ~2001. I was so angry that there was no information about anything and everyone else seemed to know it all. I was so lost.

OP, this is part of the thing with MMO’s, you have to learn the game, MMO’s are complex creations and part of the fun is the learning. Just asking in general chat is probably fastest (with a 50/50 chance of success/humiliation), a lot of people really want to help new players and especially in GW2.

I got this WTF-feeling in HoT when it launched now and for me it’s a fantastic feeling, there is so much fun to explore and learn. When you know it all you get bored fast.

Posted by: Zypher.7609

Zypher.7609

This game does not show you the food and then help you eat it. Sorry it is probably not the game for you.

Although the amount of time to type up the OP you could have read patch notes or check out dulfy’s site.

Posted by: Aerwyna.2541

Aerwyna.2541

But it only takes like.. 5 seconds to google it and then bam you got it!

Renoria Blackheart loves her kitty Kronos. <3
Proud member of the Blackgate community.