"Maybe GW2 is not the game for you"

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Cassandra Nea.2507

Cassandra Nea.2507

Please, can people please stop using this phrase? I get it, you are annoyed that people are criticizing aspects of the game that you really like or even love. And they can be really rude when they do it. But they have their reasons for being critical, just as you have your reasons for being defensive.

I know you will go there: Yes, some people still complain eons after they have stopped playing. You wonder why they still bother. I stopped playing myself for a while because I got bored, but I never lost interest in GW2. And now I am back, because I found new reasons to play and enjoy the game.

There is only one good answer to the question/statement: “Maybe GW2 is not the game for you.”

Yes it is, because I am still here.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

When suggestions pop up for things like “open world PvP” or “remove all waypoints, then add mounts” . . . no, I’m still going to respond with that statement. Because this game is clearly not the one they’re looking for.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: mage.3570

mage.3570

When suggestions pop up for things like “open world PvP” or “remove all waypoints, then add mounts” . . . no, I’m still going to respond with that statement. Because this game is clearly not the one they’re looking for.

But we get the same reactions when we request features in GW1 that are absolutely missing or lacking in GW2, such as more skills, templates, guild halls + battles, elite dungeons (8+ team), etc etc – things that made GW1 fun even 6+ years since it released. On the contrary, GW2 got stale after just 2 years!!!!

Been there, done that. What’s next?

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

I think most the times people use the “this is not the game for you” is when someone come and say things like “In WoW we have this and that”, “In TERA there was such thing”, or ideas like “add mounts”, “gives us hardcore content”, “make PK servers” and so on.

Those things are features that the ANet is trying to avoid and the game was not designed for that, so in those cases, this is not the game for you.

EDIT:

But we get the same reactions when we request features in GW1 that are absolutely missing or lacking in GW2, such as more skills, templates, elite dungeons (8+ team), etc

I usually don’t see this reaction for those suggestions.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

It’s just how people are Cass, but I totally agree with you. Look at the iphone stuff from last week. I had friends that got broken phones to replace their perfectly working phones and they were still defending the broken phones like their new broken iphone was a family member or something. They stood in line for hours and were congratulating each other on facebook for buying a phone. People will be rude about whatever, and if they like it will defend an opinion about whatever.

It’s the same with GW2. I have seen many posts asking the devs to change this game into other games. They don’t come out and directly say the exact game they want this game to be, but it’s pretty easy to infer. Those are the people I would tell, “This game doesn’t need to be open world with flying mounts and have orcs in it. This game probably isn’t for you.”

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

When your criticisms are related to bugs, oversights, or poor implementation, you should definitely voice them.

When your criticisms are related to the direction the game is going, “maybe this game isn’t for you” is a valid response. The developers (well, probably the publisher at this point) set the game’s direction and they aren’t going to do something that is deemed unprofitable or too risky. If you are unable to deal with the game’s direction, then there are literally thousands of other options out there that have other directions which you may find more to your liking.

I know it is always unpleasant to face a decision to abandon a game that you previously enjoyed, but every player will eventually face that decision because games are made for the purpose of generating revenue.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: rlhaas.5723

rlhaas.5723

That phrase has been around since before Headstart. It’s not going anywhere. Maybe this forum isn’t the board for you.

Kidding.

Posted by: Roybe.5896

Roybe.5896

As time drags on I find this argument to be even more valid. Take the ‘not enough content/I hate the impermanence of the content argument. This was a hallmark of this game. People constantly complained that ’they missed something’, couldn’t get that achievement, refuse to accept that this WAS the game AND the content. Now we have the lovely checklist to do what you want. A character born today can play the exact content his grandpappy played. Although this wasn’t a dela breaker for me, I was completely saddened when this happend. It means that this game moves closer to others in the genre and that there really is nothing that can determine ones ‘hardcore’ status.

The idea that this wasn’t your ‘normal’ MMO has changed. There will be a day when mounts ARE added…that day will occur when the user base screams in one, whiney, cranky, FOTM MMO, voice demanding it. #OccupyMounts.

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

But we get the same reactions when we request features in GW1 that are absolutely missing or lacking in GW2, such as more skills, templates, guild halls + battles, elite dungeons (8+ team), etc etc – things that made GW1 fun even 6+ years since it released. On the contrary, GW2 got stale after just 2 years!!!!

It didn’t take 2 years…it didn’t take even one year. What, fundamentally, has changed about this game since launch (aside from the Ascended debacle, that is)?

Nada…

Anyway, that’s a whole different topic. Back to it:

the OP is right, and I really agree with the person I’ve quoted.

If I buy ArcheAge, I don’t expect it to be anything like Guild Wars…but if I buy Guild Wars 2…well…I think some expectations are quite reasonable.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I think the OP is quite right. In the past I’ve said this very very infrequently…hardly ever…but the only time I have said it, I said it to help someone. It was simply suggesting that the stuff they were looking for wasn’t ever likely to appear in this game…ie open world PvP. I suggested there are games already existing that center on that, and they’d probably be a better match.

But I think, over all, it’s too easy to say this to dismiss legitimate complaints.

Posted by: mesme.5028

mesme.5028

Its a polite way of being rude, in other words the problem is you, they are just being dismissive and arrogant, you view or opinion isn’t one they wish to consider so please stop playing.

I guess it could also be use to try and get a rise out of someone.

I check back every now and then to see if i feel the game is worth playing again, there is so much to like about gw2 and so many disappointments, for me the latter out ways the former atm but each to their own.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Its a polite way of being rude, in other words the problem is you, they are just being dismissive and arrogant, you view or opinion isn’t one they wish to consider so please stop playing.

I guess it could also be use to try and get a rise out of someone.

I check back every now and then to see if i feel the game is worth playing again, there is so much to like about gw2 and so many disappointments, for me the latter out ways the former atm but each to their own.

Check back in the game or check back on the forums? If you gauge whether or not a game is worth playing again by checking the forums then you are doing yourself a huge disservice.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

I agree with the sentiment that others have expressed in this thread — “Maybe this game isn’t for you” is perfectly legitimate, IF the person is talking about making drastic, sweeping changes to the game to make it “better”.

If you’re looking for a game that plays fundamentally different from GW2, then it isn’t the game for you. There are other MMO’s out there that play vastly differently from GW2. If one of those suits your tastes more, then why the heck are you playing GW2?

Baelyyrn [Zero Brigade]
Mechanist Gregory [BEER]
Arondight Unfading [ZB]

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Please, can people please stop using this phrase? I get it, you are annoyed that people are criticizing aspects of the game that you really like or even love. And they can be really rude when they do it. But they have their reasons for being critical, just as you have your reasons for being defensive.

I know you will go there: Yes, some people still complain eons after they have stopped playing. You wonder why they still bother. I stopped playing myself for a while because I got bored, but I never lost interest in GW2. And now I am back, because I found new reasons to play and enjoy the game.

There is only one good answer to the question/statement: “Maybe GW2 is not the game for you.”

It is simple – if the suggestion is sensible and improves the game without actually taking it in a whole new direction or making it go 180 on everything up till that point people will be understanding and open for debate.

If the suggestion is too radical or sounds like " make the game the way I like it regardless of the way others like it or the way it was designed" people will point out that there are other games out there.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

That expression should only be used in limited circumstances. When I say “I wish there were more dungeons. I really like those.” and someone says “Go play Diablo, Guild Wars 2 isn’t the game for you.” I can’t help but laugh, because GW2 has dungeons already. When someone says “They should [add mounts, include the trinity, add more stat grind, etc.]” I can see why someone would say “This isn’t the game for you.”.

Posted by: Swish.2463

Swish.2463

It is simple – if the suggestion is sensible and improves the game without actually taking it in a whole new direction or making it go 180 on everything up till that point people will be understanding and open for debate.

If the suggestion is too radical or sounds like " make the game the way I like it regardless of the way others like it or the way it was designed" people will point out that there are other games out there.

It’s simple – if the thread contains an idea that you find favorable and doesn’t criticize or request a change to an aspect of a game that you somehow feel obligated to defend and drive others away from over, you can have a civil discussion.

If the suggestion is something that feels threatening to you, and inspires you to react with a “holy than thou art” and rather trollish response…

Then maybe it’s just not the Thread or Discussion for you.

On a more proper note, Yes, people ought to stop using stupid phrases like these. Some ideas are truly dumb and others don’t make much sense but the majority come out of a good place.

Someone asks for Mounts and more of a WoW like system for Gw2, that means they like Gw2 enough to want to bring some of the things they enjoyed the most from other games to it so they can enjoy it even more as a whole. It’s more of a compliment than it is something that requires a visceral reaction or anger and yelling that they want to destroy Gw2 and it’s not the game for them to play.

Someone disappointed in the direction of the games development also has a right to voice their concerns. If someone is upset enough to go out of the game and find the forums and take the time to write up a post or make a thread, it means that, even if the thread is a terrible and hateful rant, they cared enough about the game to come voice it.

Just because someone doesn’t agree with direction doesn’t mean they are a kitten to your “society” of happy to swallow players. A lot of good ideas and great things come from people who went against the grain, how do you think you ended up with a Computer, Graphics cards, Games, that classy LEd screen or even the electricity to make it all work?

Beyond simple trollish behavior or outlandish rage, every thread and topic should be approached in a critical manner if you want any type of Civil or Meaningful discussion to take place and move the ideas forward. before throwing generalizations and making assumptions after reading only half a post maybe sit on your reply for 20 minutes before you post it and think the whole thing through.

If none of the above sounds like something you can manage then perhaps this thing called Social Interaction is not for you.

(Still sounds stupid doesn’t it?)

~Elyssion~
“Gw2, It’s still on the Table!” – Anet

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

If the poster is making an attempt to “improve” GW2 by altering it so it plays like some OTHER game….I think the suggestion the OP hates is warranted….

Keep in mind that many GW2 players don’t WANT this game to be like other ones and often that is EXACTLY the reason we are playing it. Those other games exist….do I need to type the words?

Also, suggestions to completely change base game play, the financial model or other far reaching things that basically define GW2 also fall into this category.

I make the OPs suggestion often in this forum (but not to be rude, but make a genuine effort to direct the poster to some activity that might actually make them a more satisfied gamer).

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

On a more proper note, Yes, people ought to stop using stupid phrases like these. Some ideas are truly dumb and others don’t make much sense but the majority come out of a good place.

Someone asks for Mounts and more of a WoW like system for Gw2, that means they like Gw2 enough to want to bring some of the things they enjoyed the most from other games to it so they can enjoy it even more as a whole. It’s more of a compliment than it is something that requires a visceral reaction or anger and yelling that they want to destroy Gw2 and it’s not the game for them to play.

Someone disappointed in the direction of the games development also has a right to voice their concerns. If someone is upset enough to go out of the game and find the forums and take the time to write up a post or make a thread, it means that, even if the thread is a terrible and hateful rant, they cared enough about the game to come voice it.

Just because someone doesn’t agree with direction doesn’t mean they are a kitten to your “society” of happy to swallow players. A lot of good ideas and great things come from people who went against the grain, how do you think you ended up with a Computer, Graphics cards, Games, that classy LEd screen or even the electricity to make it all work?

Beyond simple trollish behavior or outlandish rage, every thread and topic should be approached in a critical manner if you want any type of Civil or Meaningful discussion to take place and move the ideas forward. before throwing generalizations and making assumptions after reading only half a post maybe sit on your reply for 20 minutes before you post it and think the whole thing through.

If none of the above sounds like something you can manage then perhaps this thing called Social Interaction is not for you.

So you are basically saying that all suggestions are fine to make, except for suggestions that a person might find more entertainment value in a different game that already has what they are looking for?

How very, very hypocritical of you.

If a player asks for game 1 to be changed so that it is like game 2, it is perfectly reasonable for someone to recommend that they simply play game 2 as game 2 already meets their stated requirements.

No game will satisfy all players’ tastes. When your taste is very far from the reality in a game, you are only hurting your own enjoyment by sticking around and “suffering” through the parts you don’t like, especially if there already is a game that you enjoy.

The suggestion that a game may not be for you is not an insult to you. It is a legitimate suggestion that you should consider as the game may very well not be suited to your tastes.

That isn’t to say that you should not voice your suggestions and concerns, but you need to be willing to hear the suggestions and concerns that are made in response to yours if you expect anyone to take yours seriously.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Swish.2463

So you are basically saying that all suggestions are fine to make, except for suggestions that a person might find more entertainment value in a different game that already has what they are looking for?

How very, very hypocritical of you.

Asking someone if they have played the other game or suggesting they go try the other game or just consider why they are not playing the other game and are instead playing Gw2 are all valid responses, I don’t believe i ever said they weren’t. Are you reading a hidden sentence that no one else is able to see?

Telling someone outright that Gw2 is not the game for them is a different matter. It’s a trollish and demeaning response that doesn’t seek to aid, it seeks to silence and squash conversation while also implying stupidity that the person is even playing the game.

Suggesting Is ok

Demanding/Telling is not ok.

Hope that helps you to avoid making outlandish assumptions and drawing odd misplaced conclusions in the future

~Elyssion~

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

For a world that’s not really a open world but has instanced maps WvW is as much open world PvP as about any MMO out there with open world PvP.

So what would open world PvP in GW2 mean.. adding a new map where people can fight with each other (like in WvW) but without the camps, towers and keeps as in WvW?

And about way-points and mounts. GW1 had mounts (sure not exactly the way we know them from some other MMO’s but they do have mounts). The world is filled with mounts just none we can ride on (well even one of those.. riding broom) and Anet did state mounts where for sure an option. So also that is not so much ‘not GW’ as you seem to think.

Way-points seem to be a way to overcome the problem of not having mounts but don’t really fit in the lore (portals do and you might see how the two sort of don’t match) and have only recently been put into the story as a way to reduce them, in a more story like way.

So I am sorry but if you are going to say that GW2 is not for people who like mounts and open world PvP I am going to assume thats something you very much want from a game and I need to conclude that maybe GW2 is not the game for you. Because those things are not so much in the GW core as you seem to think and so it could easily change in a expansion. In fact they are already reducing the number of way-points so it seems.

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

I think that its trollish and demeaning for a player to join an up-and-running game, play it, and then berate it for why it isnt like [insert x game here], like the developers have made this game as a commission for said player and have done a poor job capturing the player’s dream.

:“This isn’t the game for you” is a wake-up call that lets players know that while suggestions for enhancement are fine, berating a game for not bending to their whims is silly.

there are people that use that reasoning to berate and shut down suggestions though. Even if they’re frequently made suggestions, if they are done politely you shouldn’t be suggesting the person pretty much leave, though.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

“this game isn’t for you” or "if y ou don’t like it you can leave or “don’t let the door hit you on the way out” are imo three of the most dangerous phrases to an MMO.

A MMO is designed to be massive, and multi-player. As such it is the games job to attract a wide an audience as possible. If you find yourself having to tell multiple people that they are playing the wrong game, or they won’t be missed, then maybe the problem is with the game and not with the person.

This was something I saw a lot of in the first 6 months of SWTOR. People constantly used those 3 phrases as a way to defend the game and deflect criticism. The only problem was they ended up telling ~80% of the games population that this game wasn’t for them… And then they listened and everyone left. The game tanked, most of the devs were fired and it went P2W.

SO remember, if you find yourself telling multiple people that the game isn’t for them then it may be time to take a look at the game instead of the players.

Devata.6589

I think that its trollish and demeaning for a player to join an up-and-running game, play it, and then berate it for why it isnt like [insert x game here], like the developers have made this game as a commission for said player and have done a poor job capturing the player’s dream.

:“This isn’t the game for you” is a wake-up call that lets players know that while suggestions for enhancement are fine, berating a game for not bending to their whims is silly.

there are people that use that reasoning to berate and shut down suggestions though. Even if they’re frequently made suggestions, if they are done politely you shouldn’t be suggesting the person pretty much leave, though.

Sadly many people who like to defend any element of the game seem to mainly have some hatred to those other games.. or well.. WoW and seem to see every change as a move in the direction of WoW (see the many mount discussion, many nonsense reasons are made up why not to add them but in the end it turns out they simply don’t like it because WoW) so any change that would mean something would be added that is similar as in WoW is being attacked by “Maybe GW2 is not your game.”

Asking for something that might also be in another MMO does not mean asking to change the game into that game.

Azure The Heartless.3261

Sadly many people who like to defend any element of the game seem to mainly have some hatred to those other games.. or well.. WoW and seem to see every change as a move in the direction of WoW (see the many mount discussion, many nonsense reasons are made up why not to add them but in the end it turns out they simply don’t like it because WoW) so any change that would mean something would be added that is similar as in WoW is being attacked by “Maybe GW2 is not your game.”

Asking for something that might also be in another MMO does not mean asking to change the game into that game.

There’s a specific situation where that attack would be valid. making a polite suggestion at all would not qualify your opinion to be bombarded.

Only time it would make sense is if some hardhead decides “I’m quitting, this isnt like WoW at all!” and then expects sympathy.

You’ll get no sympathy from m-

I do wish people would read threads on “why is X probably not in the game” before suggesting it multiple times though.

Mounts for example. Anet is culling minis right now. with the environment so detailed, any world bosses with mounted players charging headlong at it would slow the game to a sickening crawl, most likely.

Now, it’s a bit annoying when someone chooses to ignore this and asks for mounts anyway, but asking them to leave is waayyyy too far.

Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

(edited by Azure The Heartless.3261)

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

If it bothers you, then maybe this isn’t the community for you. :P

I kid, I kid. But yes, anything that is dismissive can be irritating. My forum pet peeve is when people come up with absurd straw-man arguments, like, “You’re asking for more content? Wow, next you’re going to be asking for the devs to work their fingers to the bone 24/7 like in a sweat shop! You think the process for getting X item should be different? Wow, spoiled people these days who want everything for free!”

Or one of my all-time favorite counter arguments (favorite meaning “it makes me want to slam my head on my desk until one of the two breaks”), “You don’t have to get X item. It’s optional, so stop complaining about the process to get it.”

The saddest part of these things I’m talking about is that half the time, they are knee-jerk reaction posts that don’t even make sense in context. It’s like people have templates waiting. "Ok, someone is asking for a change to X feature… let’s see, is feature X optional? Alright, let’s get out the ‘entitled generation wants everything handed to it’ template. Aaaaaand… post.

Oh crap, I forgot the welfare analogy template addition. Better edit the post real quick here…"

Or words to that effect.

Devata.6589

There’s a specific situation where that attack would be valid. making a polite suggestion at all would not qualify your opinion to be bombarded.

Only time it would make sense is if some hardhead decides “I’m quitting, this isnt like WoW at all!” and then expects sympathy.

I do wish people would read threads on “why is X probably not in the game” before suggesting it multiple times though.

Mounts for example. Anet is culling minis right now. with the environment so detailed, any world bosses with mounted players charging headlong at it would slow the game to a sickening crawl, most likely.

Now, it’s a bit annoying when someone chooses to ignore this and asks for mounts anyway, but asking them to leave is waayyyy too far.

But is that really the reason. And even if thats a problem should that problem not be solved in stead of seeing that as a reason? Other MMO’s don’t seem to have a big problem with that.

Thats what I mean. This is not a reason, more an excuse. Colin himself talked about mounts and how they could be implemented. (like mounted combat).

However some people react as if it’s not it would be against the core of the game. What is total nonsense and by saying that so much the them self are the ones that try and define a new ‘core’ of what GW2 should be. They are trying to change what GW is.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

What is wrong with figuring out that what you want is not in this game, but there are other games that have exactly what you want?

Azure The Heartless.3261

What is wrong with figuring out that what you want is not in this game, but there are other games that have exactly what you want?

Maybe people like an aspect of a game, but not the game itself, and want to add features from the game they hate to a game with a core they love.

That isn’t bad at all.

Azure The Heartless.3261

But is that really the reason. And even if thats a problem should that problem not be solved in stead of seeing that as a reason? Other MMO’s don’t seem to have a big problem with that.

Thats what I mean. This is not a reason, more an excuse. Colin himself talked about mounts and how they could be implemented. (like mounted combat).

However some people react as if it’s not it would be against the core of the game. What is total nonsense and by saying that so much the them self are the ones that try and define a new ‘core’ of what GW2 should be. They are trying to change what GW is.

regarding mounts? If Colin talked about mounts, then it isnt against the core of the game.

to me, it just seems like it would be kind of pointless/inconvenient as a travel device, given the proximity of waypoints, the vast scales of world bosses, and the like.

Far be it from me to tell you to go play a game with mounts though. And you’re free to suggest it again here.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

There are so many fundamentally different takes on the EQ/WoW MMO model that are core to this game. Suggesting elimination or major changes to any of them to make it more like X will get you a “maybe GW2 isn’t the game for you”.

For instance, the PvE is designed to be as co-op friendly as possible therefore asking for dueling in PvE isn’t going to happen.

The fact that the waypoint system is laid out so you aren’t more than a minute away from any other waypoint means you don’t need mounts other than bragging rights. True you must find them first before using them and it costs a token amount based on the distance traveled and your level but that simply encourages exploration.

The fact that the best rewards aren’t tied to events which interleaves into the lack of a traditional raid endgame and no shared loot pool. There isn’t a need to run the same content over and over and over for the chance to get your very own “Golden Sword of Battle” or any other BIS item.

The lack of “traditional” MMO triad of tank/healer/dps and it’s default tactic of “tank ’n spank”.

These are just a few of the fundamental differences that was intentionally baked into GW2. Any suggestion to majorly overhaul any of these will still boil down to “change this game to be more like that one” and therefore will get the dreaded “maybe GW2 isn’t for you”.

I’m sorry.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

There are so many fundamentally different takes on the EQ/WoW MMO model that are core to this game. Suggesting elimination or major changes to any of them to make it more like X will get you a “maybe GW2 isn’t the game for you”.

For instance, the PvE is designed to be as co-op friendly as possible therefore asking for dueling in PvE isn’t going to happen.

The fact that the waypoint system is laid out so you aren’t more than a minute away from any other waypoint means you don’t need mounts other than bragging rights. True you must find them first before using them and it costs a token amount based on the distance traveled and your level but that simply encourages exploration.

The fact that the best rewards aren’t tied to events which interleaves into the lack of a traditional raid endgame and no shared loot pool. There isn’t a need to run the same content over and over and over for the chance to get your very own “Golden Sword of Battle” or any other BIS item.

The lack of “traditional” MMO triad of tank/healer/dps and it’s default tactic of “tank ’n spank”.

These are just a few of the fundamental differences that was intentionally baked into GW2. Any suggestion to majorly overhaul any of these will still boil down to “change this game to be more like that one” and therefore will get the dreaded “maybe GW2 isn’t for you”.

I’m sorry.

What are you sorry for? That was a pretty fair and well literated response.

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

Yeah, “go play something else” always struck me as a pretty dumb, trollish response. But the one I really hate is “TL;DR” (Too Long; Didn’t Read) when used by a topic responder. If you didn’t read the post, you’re only proving what an idiot you are by responding to it.

I did an experiment one time… I started a post with the word “Mounts” in the title. The body of my post was very brief, and said nothing pro or con on the subject. All I said was something to the effect of “I wonder how many people will jump into this conversation and scream bloody murder that we don’t need mounts because we already have waypoints”. Sure enough, within a dozen responses, those guys started cropping up, lambasting me and the horse I rode in on. Then when I pointed it out to them, I took a second round of tongue-lashing for “trying to fool them”. But I knew who the fools were.

Whether too long or very brief, there are a ton of people who don’t even try reading something before they feel the need to shove their noses into a conversation. But unfortunately being stupid isn’t a crime, so I’m sure we’ll see more of the TL;DR guys and the mindless “go play something else” folks.

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

If this phrase legitimately offends you, then maybe GW2 is not the game for you.

Heh, sorry I couldn’t resist. But what I mean to say is, don’t take it so seriously… all it means is maybe you would enjoy another game more, and you should play a game because you really want to, not because you feel like you have to, for whatever reason.

At least, that’s what I mean when I say it. I’m not trying to be a kitten or prove anything, just giving an honest suggestion. Then people get upset, as if GW2 is their life’s devotion and suggesting you might rather do something else with your time is heresy.

Also, you probably overestimate how often people are trying to offend you; it’s a consequence of the impersonal nature of online interaction.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

(edited by Andred.1087)

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

Funny. I use go play something else/ perhaps x game isnt for you/etc all the time.
As with most things its the context it is used in.

I find its most legit when I use it as my predictions are rarely incorrect.

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Not from me. And that’s the only person I can legitimately speak for here.

The last word on this is really simple from my perspective.

Nobody should be telling people to go away.

. . . however, there is definitely a right to tell people “we don’t want X, Y, or Z in this game”. If it’s followed by reasoning about why not? That’s better, but it’s not strictly necessary.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Elothar.4382

Elothar.4382

I agree with some other posters here that the appropriateness of the comment is tied necessarily to context. If I were to state a preference for a game that employs the trinity, has constantly increasing tiers of content with related gear, has flying mounts, and open world PVP, then likely someone would observe that this game is probably not for me…and they would be correct.

If, on the other hand, I say that Arenanet should do something about the condition damage cap issue or that some type of guild housing should be explored, that (at least in my opinion) should not draw a “not the game for you” response. In other words…there are a number of improvements, bug fixes, additions, etc. that could be made to the game and still remain within the overall identity of GW2. There are, however, things that clearly are outside that vision…well outside the vision…and those who desperately desire those things would be better off looking at other games.

BTW…I just came from WoW because, after a lot of years of watching the changes, I decided it was “not the game for me.”

Posted by: Clerigo.9475

Clerigo.9475

@OP

Couldnt agree more with you.

Everyone should work together to achieve the goal that everyone that loves this game are, most surely, aiming for: to see the continuous development of gw2.

Its not healthy to disregard an idea of a given player in the first lines of a post, just because you do not agree with his/her view on the subject.

Best thing one can do is to give suggestions to how we can implement ideas that are possible of execution or, at least, give alternatives.

“When in doubt, choose change.” Leung
“All great changes are preceded by chaos.” Chopra
‘No matter what people tell you, words and ideas can change the world’ Robin Williams

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I’d wager that most developers, ANet included, don’t appreciate fans telling paying customers to take themselves and possibly their money, elsewhere. Of course, different people sometimes want things that are exactly opposite of what others want. Since the game cannot accommodate both sides of a binary situation, one side or the other is going to be disappointed.

All that said, my personal preference would be to suggest, “You know, feature X seems to be completely contrary to what ANet tried to do with this game. You might be better served to appreciate whatever aspects of GW2 you do like than making yourself miserable asking for something that’s unlikely at best.”

Posted by: pupi.2465

pupi.2465

I dont wanna be rude, but… Maybe this game is not for you.

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

Sorry, OP, but “maybe this game isn’t for you” is a perfectly justifiable response to some suggestions.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

OP, I have a question for you. How is “this game isn’t for you” and more dismissive than “you white knights will defend anything even if it’s bad”.

Both sides of the equation dismiss completely legit commentary. Human nature at its finest.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

OP, I have a question for you. How is “this game isn’t for you” and more dismissive than “you white knights will defend anything even if it’s bad”.

Both sides of the equation dismiss completely legit commentary. Human nature at its finest.

Well if we’re being entirely fair here, both phrases can be legitimately relevant, or complete nonsense. I’ll use some purposefully exaggerated examples to illustrate (I’m making them absurd so that no one will take them as serious arguments and try to spar with me…):

If a guy comes in and rants at the game because it doesn’t have wandering bands of pink unicorns who dance and juggle, then it probably isn’t the game for that guy. (Legitimate use of “this game isn’t for you.”)

If a guy comes in and rants at the game because its end-game is more grindy than its marketing promised. (Patronizing use of “this game isn’t for you.”)

If a guy comes into a complaint thread about the removal of all professions from the game, merging them into one, and dismisses the OP’s complaints. (Legitimate use of “you white knights will defend anything even if it’s bad.”)

If a guy comes into a complaint thread about balance changes that affect the OP’s class and dismisses the OP’s complaints. (Patronizing use of “you white knights will defend anything even if it’s bad.”)

It’s a fine line. But in my experience, people most often get told “this game isn’t for you” if they are repeatedly asking for things that have little to do with the mechanics/design that is in place. And people most often get told “you white knights will defend anything even if it’s bad” if they are obsessively defending certain features (like a soldier on a field, hacking away at enemies).

I’ve seen worse arguments thrown around with stunning frequency than those phrases. I actually don’t see those two very often.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Actually, its not the game for you is always a bad response. To any suggestion. i dont think the game should do what you want, Try this other game, etc is fine. But truth is, no one except a dev really knows if a suggestion is outside the scope of what they are willing to do.
At some point, a person asking for unified pve servers, would have got that response.
At some point someone asking for a focus on a personal story like system would have gotten that response.
Right now, some people give that response for people who want dungeons/endgame
People used to say this isnt the game for you to people who wanted more vertical progression

Point is, nobody knows whats really inbounds and what is out of bounds. This game has changed major systems, and altered the main course, and even some of the defining systems/directions more than once.

The other factor is the company profits nothing by people telling them to leave. Believe it or not, anet wants them as well. They may or may not be willing to compromise to keep them or not. But regardless if it may not be the game for some people, its always a bad idea to suggest that. And more often than not, its used because someone one just doesnt like a suggestion for whatever reason.

Harper.4173

Except there are people so out of touch with what the game is and wants to be that they’re disappointed for no reason.

A lot of people cried and moaned on the forum that this isn’t WoW 2.0.
A lot of people want a hard trinity.

I can understand meaningful discussion on improving – but why change something entirely when those wishing a change could simply find that completely different thing they need somewhere else and leave those who enjoy this one in peace.

Harper.4173

GW2 was designed and advertised before launch particularly at segments of the MMO player base that disliked wow. Disliked the trinity, grind, and other associated elements.

There are enough valid reasons why mounts are a bad idea ( lag, we already have a means of fast travel, don’t fit in thematically etc).

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

Maybe this is not the thread for you.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

o_0 really? someone told you the game is not for you cause you asked for mroe skills, templates or guild halls?

Swish.2463

Except there are people so out of touch with what the game is and wants to be that they’re disappointed for no reason.

A lot of people cried and moaned on the forum that this isn’t WoW 2.0.
A lot of people want a hard trinity.

I can understand meaningful discussion on improving – but why change something entirely when those wishing a change could simply find that completely different thing they need somewhere else and leave those who enjoy this one in peace.

People that fall under this boat are often already on their way out and many of them don’t even make it to the forums to post about it.

Someone asking for this game to be turned into WoW 2 can easily be told several reasons why that will probably never happen and they can make up their mind to stay or leave all on their own.

Personally i think the retention of a Holy Trinity would have done a lot to improve the depth of combat in Gw2 and I can, provided the allowance to change other aspects of the game, without utterly changing its very core values, provide a pretty kitten good argument as to why and how that would be.

Sadly, it’s the devs who have a final say on anything Game changing so i’m not sure as to your final question here. They can decide to make Gw2 into WoW 2 if they want and if they think its the best choice, it may or may not be based on the community feedback.

But, this thread is about telling someone that a Game is not for them, which no one really has a right to do, not even the devs. It’s an individual choice and conclusion that have to be chosen. If this were anything but a childish and rude attempt to silence and remove a part of a conversation then I think you’d find the Dev’s themselves answering 90% of the threads on the forums with it in almost a Meme format to it.

“This Lore is not for you”
“This Patch is not for you”
“This LS instance is not for you”
“This X is not for Y”

To probably Misquote someone whose name I don’t remember.

You have the right to free and unimpeded speech to express your thoughts and feelings. I too, have the right to not listen and or not care.

If someone complains in Map chat that they want Mounts and how awesome Gw2 would be with it and you’re tired of hearing about it, then block them, or just turn off chat, or just don’t waste energy and time replying and move on with your life… It’s really not that difficult to not tell someone to Quit the Game because you’re not in the mood for them at this moment…

~Elyssion~

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Maybe GW2 is not the game for you.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: fireflyry.7023

fireflyry.7023

I only take issue with people that burn trough the PvE content and usually end up complaining about PvE end-game, more so lack of it.

It’s Guild Wars, if you came here expecting uber end-game you are indeed playing the wrong game.It’s hands down a re-roller. In saying I expect expansions, not this LS crap atm.

In saying I fully agree in regards to PvP. “GW2 is not the game for you” has no justification there imo. They just released a kitten crap PvP system based on AB, one of the least popular forms of PvP in GW1 and expected it to garner praise.The fact they are able to get die-hards to take part in tournaments is amazing.

Guild Wars….without any actual Guild Wars.

If your having adventurer problems I feel bad for you son, I dodged 99 arrows till my knee took one.