Maze Balm foes being killed by others

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: OddButterfly.6218

OddButterfly.6218

This is the second time I have had another player kill my candy corn elementals created by my maze balm and taking all my tot bags.This is a problem for a lot of people and not just myself and I think something needs to be done to stop this from happening in the future. There are a couple of things that can be done such as either making the candy corn elementals invulnerable to anyone other than the person who created them for x amount of time, or make it so that if another person kills them they get nothing and we still get our bags from our maze balm.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

This is a joke .. right ?

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: azyume.6321

azyume.6321

The Maize Balm was a terrible idea. It is way past the time to go. Such thing to be used in open world will always cause grief to one side or another.

Now let’s put my side into this: had to wait for more than 30 minutes to complete a heart quest, couldn’t get a different IP, because players were farming ambient creatures, exactly the ones you need to complete the quest and due to the bad escalating system, no enemies were showing up as an alternative…

Guardian Commander
Thief / Mesmer / Elementalist / Warrior / Necromancer / Ranger / Engineer / Revenant
Crystal Desert – Eredon Terrace – Fort Aspenwood – Stormbluff Isle

(edited by azyume.6321)

Posted by: Mental Paradox.3845

Mental Paradox.3845

Just find a few good spots, when a griefer pops up, switch grinding location.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

THis is a bannable offense, report them and they will be banned. They banned a number of people during Halloween for this.

Posted by: Shadey Dancer.2907

Shadey Dancer.2907

Im am afraid this whole topic makes me feel very uncomfortable at every level.

Iv several stacks of maize balm left over from Halloween that iv never used, and in the current state of affairs never will.

The reason being this whole argument, regardless of who is at fault, is based on the premise of ‘kill stealing’, which goes against the entire ethos of GW2 !. I refuse to put myself into the position of arguing with anyone over kill stealing.

So I will sit on them until the current situation is sorted out, or leave them there forever!

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

THis is a bannable offense, report them and they will be banned. They banned a number of people during Halloween for this.

I don’t think it’s that simple. The person who was banned during Halloween openly admittedly to an Anet staff member (after being warned) that he was deliberately griefing other players.

In a lot of situations it could be much more innocent.

I know of one popular maize balm farming spot that’s right on top of a heart that also requires players to kill ambient creatures. If someone’s killing ambients for the heart and someone else is turning them into candy corn elementals (which don’t count towards the heart) who should get priority? Are they both simultaneously griefing each other by stopping the other person from completing their desired activity?

I’ve also seen people who were quite willing to let groups of players join in by killing the elementals with them but then having issues with 1 person going completely overboard – instead of simply tagging them they were using their strongest AoEs so they killed the entire lot before anyone else (including the person throwing the balm) could touch them.

My preference would be that they change the way the maize balm works so it simply creates 1-3 (maybe a rare chance at 4) candy corn elementals and doesn’t destroy ambients. That seems to be about the average that farmers are about to produce, and since farmers generally have no trouble finding ambients all the change would do is allow them to go to any out of the way corner and stop coming into conflict with other players.

I also think they could have stopped this problem from ever happening in the first place by making the mini Gwynefyrdd tradeable and slightly increasing the drop rate of the other rare items, which would give everyone a viable alternative to get the items they want and reduce the incentive to farm bags. But I think it’s highly unlikely they’ll do that at this point.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

If someone’s killing ambients for the heart and someone else is turning them into candy corn elementals (which don’t count towards the heart) who should get priority?

It all comes down to: does it affect normal gameplay?

If killing ambient creatures is required to progress a heart, the farmers are the griefers because they’re blocking progression.

Posted by: Greyhound.2058

Greyhound.2058

Really?? Just go somewhere else.

And as for heart quests, well, often in the normal events of the game a heart quest – or anything really, all sorts of events – can’t be completed at the specific moment you happen to be there – you go away, do something else, and go back some other time to do it. This is normal gameplay. Seriously, have any of you actually played a game before?

ZudetGambeous.9573

I don’t know of a single heart in the game where the only way to complete it is to kill ambient creatures. Every heart has 3-4 different options, so I highly doubt that maize balm farmers are even capable of stopping someone from progressing.

As for the killing other peoples conversion that is just griefing, they were created by the person with the potion, for the person with the potion. This is no different than kill stealing in other games, which is almost always a reportable offense.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Or how about go somewhere else where they won’t die so quickly?

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Ambients tend to die quickly regardless of where you are.

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

And as for heart quests, well, often in the normal events of the game a heart quest – or anything really, all sorts of events – can’t be completed at the specific moment you happen to be there – you go away, do something else, and go back some other time to do it. This is normal gameplay. Seriously, have any of you actually played a game before?

That’s not at all true. If you go to a heart and it isn’t immediately completable it is because either the NPC is dead (in which case you res them) or there is an event interfering with it, in which case you complete that.

If you have people maze balm farming the ambients that you need to complete the heart then even coming back later isn’t going to solve it. Chances are there will simply be another group there doing the same thing.

That being said, to my knowledge almost every single Heart has multiple ways of completing it. There shouldn’t be any where the ONLY way to progress is killing ambients.

This really should be removed from the game though. Maze balm farming is ridiculous.

Ayrilana.1396

I went to the ones by SB and they didn’t die as quickly. The point is that people do not need to do only Rata Sum and then demand changes because it gets overcrowded or there are trolls. Ambients are located throughout Tyria so find another location to farm them. They’re not going to create a special area just for the farmers.

Seera.5916

I went to the ones by SB and they didn’t die as quickly. The point is that people do not need to do only Rata Sum and then demand changes because it gets overcrowded or there are trolls. Ambients are located throughout Tyria so find another location to farm them. They’re not going to create a special area just for the farmers.

They’ve always died in one hit for me when I’ve been near SB.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

The only heart I can think of offhand where you kill ambients is in Bloodtide, the heart with the diseased Quaggans, and one of the options is to kill ambient crows. There are people farming those ambients each time I’ve done that heart. However you can also stomp the numerous green rats, burn Quaggan corpses, rez the healers when dead, and kill any red mobs.

While I admit it’s a little annoying to have people farming what I could be using to advance the heart, it’s not like killing ambients is the only thing that could be done and it doesn’t slow me down. If ambients spawn in front of me, I kill them. Otherwise the other objectives are sufficient.

Posted by: warduke.1780

warduke.1780

The maize balm farmers are incredibly toxic and rude. I can’t believe Anet has allowed this to go on for as long as it has. Balm should be fixed so as not to produce elementals anymore.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Maize Balm was the worst idea Anet had for the Halloween 2014 update

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

Just kill their elementals until they give up and let you do the heart. They’ll cry a lot and threaten to report you (don’t worry about that, if anyone gets banned it’ll be them for abusive chat), but the one thing they’re interested in is money and they’re not going to keep farming the ambients you need if you’re getting some of their loot.

Ayrilana.1396

So if they die so quickl,y regardless as to where you are, then there’s absolutely no reason the farmers cannot go elsewhere if they have issues in Rata Sum.

Seera.5916

So if they die so quickl,y regardless as to where you are, then there’s absolutely no reason the farmers cannot go elsewhere if they have issues in Rata Sum.

Rata Sum has the highest concentration in a small area than anywhere else. If they were just as spread out as everywhere else, the issue would likely be different.

Posted by: Scoundrel.2139

Scoundrel.2139

Roll the Swamp Fractal and use that? Guaranteed no one can mess with your elementals. Each Maize should get you 5-6 ele’s.

Veni, Vidi, Victa.
Quidquid Latine Dictum Sit, Altum Videtur

Posted by: joneb.5679

joneb.5679

No all the rest of us are just thick, trog like neanderthals who think a monitor is filled with tiny people or the ghosts of our ancestors. JUST SARCASM back at you. ;-)

I use forums to give my opinions but I mostly avoid discussing over
them due to those less than polite individuals out there and their offensive attitude.

joneb.5679

To be honest the best way to make the maize balm work for everyone is give the elementals that spawn from them much more health (make them veterans) so they take considerably much longer to kill even with multiple players around so the player that spawns them and surrounding players can all get a piece of the action for a win win situation.

them due to those less than polite individuals out there and their offensive attitude.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

To be honest the best way to make the maize balm work for everyone is give the elementals that spawn from them much more health (make them veterans) so they take considerably much longer to kill even with multiple players around so the player that spawns them and surrounding players can all get a piece of the action for a win win situation.

Anet isn’t interested in making the maize balm work for everyone.

I don’t know why the ambient creatures in Rata Sum aren’t friendly greens like they are in every other city. Seems like a quick and easy solution, here. Which means it’s unlikely to be implemented.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

do it like me:
farm them on homeborder xD
PvE’ers never enter this realm anyways, and one utility insta-kills the golems since they spawn as lvl 2 ones.

Alternatively farm them as guild events.
Every day me and a couple of guildies strip naked (both ingame and IRL for the lulz), have one ele dropping the mazebalm in Queensdale and multiply our profit since 5-10 ppl profit from one and the same mazebalm charge each time.
Our guildbank is stocked with siege, mazebalm and around 3k gold (excess everyone agreed to spend, to centraly buy mazebalm in stock), just from doing this daily a month long.

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

Ayrilana.1396

Rata Sum has the highest concentration in a small area than anywhere else. If they were just as spread out as everywhere else, the issue would likely be different.

Not really the only place. It’s just the first place someone found it, they posted about it, and now it’s the only place people go to.

Posted by: Ravion Hawk.4736

Ravion Hawk.4736

Would just be easier to put ambient critters in the home instances.

Head of the Order of the Iron Ravens [OoIR]
Lady Alexis Hawk – Main – Necromancer
Ravion Hawk – Warrior

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

I have a few stacks of maize balm left.

Life’s tough, kill faster or somewhere you aren’t surrounded by people waiting to steal your candy corn.

This l2p moment brought to you by….

joneb.5679

Funny I started to use my maize balm for the fun of guildlies and other players in the area and not just me but I was disappointed the things die so fast. Its just a waste to me not to give them veteran status so more people can join in on the fun and get bags.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Funny I started to use my maize balm for the fun of guildlies and other players in the area and not just me but I was disappointed the things die so fast. Its just a waste to me not to give them veteran status so more people can join in on the fun and get bags.

I think the idea was that, due to there being three uses per bottle, they made them easy to kill so you can take them down without using your weapon skills.

I give them to my ranger, and with the first two potions I have my pet do the killing for me. Then I can run off and find more ambients.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Fransson.7910

Fransson.7910

why not simply stop and move to another location? By now, I know LOTS of places with clusters of minimally 9 critters (so you get the most out of them) that are in locations people rarely visit.
But yes, it IS more fun to be lazy and go to that one house in that one swamp where critters are basically shelfed in neat patterns. But guess what, you are definitely not the only one who likes that spot, so you WILL try to communicate with whoever interuppts your…. farm, and maybe party up. If said person ignores you you would be smart to move somewhere else (if you then decide that you shouldn’t have to move then you’re simply being stubborn, and that’s your problem)

There is no waypoint rezzing in real life,
but there are people who will help you get back up when you are downed
- PalwaJoko

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

I think the Maize was a brilliant idea and works wonderfully. It’s takes a virtually useless in game creature and turns them into a useful form of production. Especially for those of us still hunting that mini!

I have my favorite spot and only farm it when alone there. If someone stops by I simply freeze while waiting for them to move along. If someone perks my trolly radar I’ll either go elsewhere, use the tp, or simply get up and take a break.

If there was a tight group of 3×3 ambients in our home instance I’d happily stay in there when farming. We could use more to do in the home instance.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Shademehr.1397

Shademehr.1397

do it like me: farm them on homeborder xD

So one day my wife hollared for me to come look at north camp in our home BL. I asked her what was up there and she said there were some random candy corn elementals hanging around, with no other players anywhere to be seen. We didn’t think anything of it and she killed them and grabbed the bags.

A bit later, I just happened to be up in north camp with a guildie and we were killing a few attackers. There they were again, candy corn elementals. We both thought it was weird but we killed them and grabbed the bags.

Then this dude comes out of nowhere and calls us names for killing them. Apparently the first time he was there when my wife found them, he had just been killed which is why they were still there for her to discover. The second time, he just hadn’t made it back from helping us defend before me and my guildie killed them.

I was nice enough to send him the bags, but never even got a “sorry” or anything.

Posted by: Kross.6428

Kross.6428

The real question you should be asking is…
Why do the maize balm farmers feel like they are entitled to owning the monsters?

I used to use the Rata Sum ambient spawns to work on my Weapon Master achievements. Never for one moment did I think that those monsters solely belonged to me… Why? Because they were never mine to begin with. Farmers took over the area and they now cuss me out whenever I try to use them, because I was disrupting their oh-so precious money farm… so who is being unfair now? You know what I did? Instead of whining on the forums, I moved on and found other ways to enjoy the game.

I don’t mean to sound rude or condescending but no one is going to care that other players are stopping you from making a quick buck. Go work on something else if it bothers you that much. I’m sure there are more fun ways to farm your money rather than standing around throwing bottles at things for hours on end… Don’t be greedy, you have all of Tyria to play in. I discovered that a long time ago.

Stormbluff Isle – Baka Royale [Baka]

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

lol

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

This is STILL a problem?
trolol. Shame.
Have fun maize farmers. Tempted to come join the balm leeching if this is still going on in a few weeks.

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

Palador.2170

You know, this problem would go away if they followed my suggestion to let NPC children count as ambient creatures.

I’m sure Mad King Thorne would approve.

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

The real question you should be asking is…
Why do the maize balm farmers feel like they are entitled to owning the monsters?

I used to use the Rata Sum ambient spawns to work on my Weapon Master achievements. Never for one moment did I think that those monsters solely belonged to me… Why? Because they were never mine to begin with.

Clearly the issue is that weapon mastery farming is too boring/unrewarding. If WMFers were sitting in Rata Sum 24/7 making those ambients unavailable, the Maize farmers would have to find some place else to take over.

At the very least, it would make for a more ironic fight here on the forums. ;D

Palador.2170

So, where in Rata Sum is this point of contention?

I have some spare balm, might go in there and chuck a few around just to let people kill them. (No, I have no expectations that I’ll get something rare, so they’re of more value to me as a toy.)

Ayrilana.1396

I have some spare balm, might go in there and chuck a few around just to let people kill them. (No, I have no expectations that I’ll get something rare, so they’re of more value to me as a toy.)

I forgot the name. It’s outside the place you go to for the Asura storyline. I want to say the portal is one of the ones in the SE cluster.

Posted by: Maxakari.5298

Maxakari.5298

This is the second time I have had another player kill my candy corn elementals created by my maze balm and taking all my tot bags.This is a problem for a lot of people and not just myself and I think something needs to be done to stop this from happening in the future. There are a couple of things that can be done such as either making the candy corn elementals invulnerable to anyone other than the person who created them for x amount of time, or make it so that if another person kills them they get nothing and we still get our bags from our maze balm.

they could just make it so the player who used the maize balm gets this drops regardless of whether they attacked/killed the elemental or not, problem solved and both players would get things

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

Some of the WvW Maps have a large quantity of ambients at the starting area of the map, very few people will be there, and even the few that pass through aren’t there to farm ambients.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

joneb.5679

I think the idea was that, due to there being three uses per bottle, they made them easy to kill so you can take them down without using your weapon skills.

I give them to my ranger, and with the first two potions I have my pet do the killing for me. Then I can run off and find more ambients.

That makes no sense to me as a lot of contradictions in this game. They design a game to look beautiful and put waypoints and asura gates everywhere so you can avoid experiencing much of it. They make a game built around group play but its actually like playing solo most of the time as by design people just run into each other do events if they are in the vicinity, and they want to then move on.They will help each other but there is not much talk, much cameraderie its just a solo experience unless you havea friend running with you.

The experiences that are designed around proper organised group play are few, some dungeons with paths that have some variables and fractals and even some of the mosyt powerful world bosses i suppose. Instead of making more of these they have told us no more dungeons.

And they give you maize balms to turn creatures into fun mini killing events but make it so easy they may as well just have given you the loot that drops.

Its complete insanity in this game.

(edited by joneb.5679)

ZudetGambeous.9573

Not sure what you mean by nothing of value… a single Maize Baulm costs 6s and gives you 46 silver. Every one you toss gives you 40s profit. I don’t know about you but ~20g/hr seems like value to me…

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

If someone’s killing ambients for the heart and someone else is turning them into candy corn elementals (which don’t count towards the heart) who should get priority?

It all comes down to: does it affect normal gameplay?

If killing ambient creatures is required to progress a heart, the farmers are the griefers because they’re blocking progression.

People are using the Maize Balm farm for progression as well. This is why this situation is so muddy. Both sides are working on a form of progression that Anet introduced.

Personally I think that introducing maize balm was a mistake.

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

they could just make it so the player who used the maize balm gets this drops regardless of whether they attacked/killed the elemental or not, problem solved and both players would get things

Or maybe you should just doubleclick the balm and get the loot directly .. or they
sell items for 1g that you can doubleclick and you get 2g out of it.

Or they put a button in the UI that you can active and then you get 1g ever minute automatically.

In other words : NO !!

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Palador.2170

Not sure what you mean by nothing of value… a single Maize Baulm costs 6s and gives you 46 silver. Every one you toss gives you 40s profit. I don’t know about you but ~20g/hr seems like value to me…

Yes, I can get silver from them, but … I can do that elsewhere as well. And I don’t like grinding, even candy corn elementals. The balm effect, however, is one of a kind in this game, and rather fun.

The things I would really value are the pets and the glowstone necklaces. I know I’m not going to get them, though. So, it’s the fun factor of the balm that’s of value to me.

I went to Rata Sum today and tossed some balms out for people to go for. Some of the people there worked together to make sure they all got something. Others … did not, even when invited to. It was a bad mark on what should have been a fun moment in the game.