Meaning of "unique" items not clear

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sapphirine.1023

Sapphirine.1023

I have seen it happen a lot of times now that a relatively new player spent their gold/fractal relics on two ascended rings or accessories with exactly the same name, not knowing that they cannot equip both of them if they’re marked as “unique”.

In my opinion, just that one word “unique” does not explain at all that you cannot equip two items with the same name, and so it will keep frustrating players in the future, so it would be great if you could find a way to communicate this more clearly in the game. Or just get rid of the “unique” concept altogether and let players equip two of the same rings if they wish to, since all it seems to do is create unnecessary complications and frustration.

(edited by Sapphirine.1023)

Posted by: felessan.9587

felessan.9587

I have seen it happen a lot of times now that a relatively new player spent their gold/fractal relics on two ascended rings or accessories with exactly the same name, not knowing that they cannot equip both of them if they’re marked as “unique”.

In my opinion, just that one word “unique” does not explain at all that you cannot equip two items with the same name, and so it will keep frustrating players in the future, so it would be great if you could find a way to communicate this more clearly in the game. Or just get rid of the “unique” concept altogether and let players equip two of the same rings if they wish to, since all it seems to do is create unnecessary complications and frustration.

Posted by: felessan.9587

felessan.9587

I have to agree. I’m really glad I saw something about that before I started buying Ascended stuff.

Posted by: Lobo Dela Noche.5127

Lobo Dela Noche.5127

Yeah I lucked out that a guildy screwed himself first and kittened in guild chat a couple days before I bought my second ring. But that is still a really crappy way to learn something.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Don’t know about you but unique to me means your character can only have one of that item. Maybe because City of Heroes had unique items as well. The problem stems from the fact that players don’t realize that the location where it displays Unique is the same area as other limitations are displayed like Soul and Account Bound.

It’s a case that it’s perfectly obvious to the designers, because of it’s location in the popup but it’s not to players since we don’t have a breakdown what all the locations are devoted to in the popup.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

Agreed!
It’s the only use of it. They have no experience to compare it to. You say learning traits and elites is too confusing for a level 30? Psshhh. Knowing what ‘unique’ means in this context is the confusing thing