Medium Armour Diversity

Medium Armour Diversity

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

I’m English, before anyone gets on to me about Armour, not Armor. >.>

Alrighty. I’m really enjoying my ranger, lots of fun and cool pets to go along with it, however one thing I’m not fond of that seems to be (unless I’m mistaken) a huge trend is the large number of “trench coat and feathered hat with a face mask” armour sets that all look exactly the same.

On my guardian, all the armour sets in the game I obtained as I leveled had their own unique feel and look to them, but all medium armour looks exactly the same (and in my own, personal, opinion doesn’t look very visually appealing). Are there any higher levelled medium armour sets that don’t look like this, or will I have to suffer looking like a tit until I can get skins or an outfit?

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Medium Armour Diversity

Posted by: Sokia.3710

Sokia.3710

Get used to wearing a trenchcoat.

Medium Armour Diversity

Posted by: Snowmoon.1758

Snowmoon.1758

i’ve got a ranger too and yea it seems all rangers need to wear ultra conservative.
No skimpy looks, not even a tiny bit of skin.
They might as well change the class name to “Nun” instead.

Staunch Supporter of Mounts in Guild Wars 2. Gimme mah Fluffeh White Bunneh!!!
Give us Mounts, Anet! Pretty Please with Chocolate, Whipped Cream, Cherry and Mayonnaise? d^_^b

Medium Armour Diversity

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

Oh come on, ranger/thief has one of the skimpies exotic armor in the game, a bra and tight leather pants. And there is token armor that offers not so treanchcoaty alternatives.

Medium Armour Diversity

Snowmoon.1758

Oh come on, ranger/thief has one of the skimpies exotic armor in the game, a bra and tight leather pants. And there is token armor that offers not so treanchcoaty alternatives.

Thief yes. Sexy.
Ranger? rly? i’ve scoured thru the entire TP and can’t find one. Link plz?
Then again my ranger is a Sylvari. Im guessing Sylvari has no sexy options?

Edit:
Here we go, entire list of Sylvari medium armors.
The Arah one is a joke lol!! Someone got real drunk when designing that one!!
http://www.gw2armorgallery.com/sylvari-medium.htm#standard

Give us Mounts, Anet! Pretty Please with Chocolate, Whipped Cream, Cherry and Mayonnaise? d^_^b

(edited by Snowmoon.1758)

Medium Armour Diversity

Posted by: Huck.1405

Huck.1405

And if it aint a trench coat or mask, it has daggers hanging off of it.

Anet apparently dos’nt know that there are TWO other medium armor classes besides Thief. Anet, can you name them?

“You can teach ’em, but you cant learn ’em.”

Medium Armour Diversity

Posted by: DrOrange.9230

DrOrange.9230

TRENCHCOATS WOOOOOOOO

Medium Armour Diversity

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

it’s diversity

Medium Armour Diversity

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Well there is one non Trenchcoat for female Sylvari medium, Krytan.

Attachments:

Medium Armour Diversity

Posted by: OMNIBUS.2913

OMNIBUS.2913

New pvp glorious armor medium chest piece is a non trench coat and looks pretty good along with the set and armor combos. Here is some screens of my theif. I felt like one of the screens wasn’t doing the outfit justice so i posted a new shot XD Also changed a dye area

Attachments:

(edited by OMNIBUS.2913)

Medium Armour Diversity

Posted by: Solandri.9640

Solandri.9640

i’ve got a ranger too and yea it seems all rangers need to wear ultra conservative.

Oh, I wouldn’t say that.

Attachments:

Medium Armour Diversity

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

Oh, I wouldn’t say that.

Yeah and this “going-to-market-to-buy-loaf-of-bread-i-hope-senpai-notices-me” outfit is pretty popular. Not sure why.

Medium Armour Diversity

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

lets just say.. if you are male.. ANY male (or asura and charr regardless of the gender) you wont have much options to the coat. Medium armor is by far the most uninspired designed armor class in gw2…cept a few special snowflakes here and there and those are rare.

@ Oxidia: Its simple.. cause its skimpy and many ppl like that. I personally prefer more of an armor look that looks like it could protect you from attacks.

Thats more my route.. sadly its not nearly as technical as id like it to be.. but heh..better then nothing i suppose

Attachments:

Medium Armour Diversity

rapthorne.7345

Ah, the typical MMO problem of the girls getting all the cool clothes. boo

Medium Armour Diversity

Basaltface.2786

Ah, the typical MMO problem of the girls getting all the cool clothes. boo

Heh obviosly, i mean seriosly.. do you expect something else by this point? A huge percentage of chars in mmos are female so they get obviosly extra care in armor designs to ensure those who play em got something pretty to look at too. (and that was no sarcasm or ill will to who play said female chars at all )

Medium Armour Diversity

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

Yet another area where GW1 did it better. Instead of dividing professions into light, medium and heavy, each profession had unique armour sets. The GW2 system doesn’t allow for such nuances.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

Medium Armour Diversity

Posted by: StanleyJohny.8047

StanleyJohny.8047

Medium Armour Diversity

Basaltface.2786

Yet another area where GW1 did it better. Instead of dividing professions into light, medium and heavy, each profession had unique armour sets. The GW2 system doesn’t allow for such nuances.

It shouldnt be a deal at all IMO. I mean you got light, medium and heavy.. all you really need to do is to release more class specific designs within that weight classes. Ya know.. some more ninja or assassin like stuff with knives, concealing masks and hoods and what not for thiefs, maybe(tastes differ obviosly) some more nature and rustical themed outfits for rangers with bone or fur trophies, extra quivers on the hips or whatever and outfits with technological parts, potions, pouches or utility belts with monocles, goggles, gas masks (or all at once as full headgear) for engineers and then do the same for the other 2 weight classes. Maybe more “bulky” and heavy looking armors that look like a fortress just grew legs for guards and more berserker\barbarian \gladiator like stuff for wars or something, ya know.. heavy but not too restricting.
Then some more necromancer related stuff like reaper robes with..dunno bones on it or tomes or what not, more “traditional” and noble mage clothes that look like a crossover of coat and robe for eles and some more jester like or nobleman related armors for mesmers with more “weirdo” detailing like faces or masks all over it and done. Though.. light armor got a good selection of themes and looks to go, heavy COULD be better..but you can work pretty good with whats there, medium got the shaft sadly. Who knows.. maybe the next armors that they release got a (true) class specific theme in design, nothing is off the table yet (i hope XD)

Medium Armour Diversity

Snowmoon.1758

Interestingly, the latest TP patch showed classification of armour by class
instead of just Heavy, Medium, Light.

Could this mean that there WILL be class specific armours down the line? Maybe?

Medium Armour Diversity

Basaltface.2786

i doubt it, would probably take way too much ressources to change something thats not really broken, just lacks in many designs the distinct look of a class. Also it would restrict the customisation of a chars look too much. But then again i know nothing bout what a-net brews together in their lair XD

Medium Armour Diversity

Posted by: Frostfang.5109

Frostfang.5109

I agree… I Main Ranger too, charr non the less. I thinbk there are 3 sets (including the outfits) that looks ok and are not trenchcoats…. out of how many!!! And apart from that I have to deal with clipping as well… Wich also tend to rule out many options (that otherwise would have been looking nice!)

Kima & Co

Medium Armour Diversity

rapthorne.7345

I just bought the shadow assassin outfit for now

Medium Armour Diversity

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

I think there are some really cool armor designs in this game, but it’s not just medium armor that has poor diversity. Light armor’s trend is for every set of pants to billow like a balloon.

I’m not sure what heavy’s would be? Maybe the slight obsession with that “I’m wearing a skirt over these greaves” look.

Or words to that effect.

Medium Armour Diversity

Posted by: sMihaly.1492

sMihaly.1492

All male armors are trench coats, except charr t3 chest (because leggins are the skirts, lol) so … here is my charr thief

Attachments:

Medium Armour Diversity

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

All male armors are trench coats, except charr t3 chest (because leggins are the skirts, lol) so … here is my charr thief

The new PvP armor isn’t. So that’s something amazing.
And even if it’s fully covered, it fits the body shape rather well enough. Next step : something a tiny bit skimpier hopefully.

Medium Armour Diversity

sMihaly.1492

Edit: found some SS above, and… wow, im impressed

(edited by sMihaly.1492)

Medium Armour Diversity

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

There’s no armor diversity for any of the armor classes. GW1 had unique looking armor sets for each profession. Armor that was made non-specific so as to work for any of three professions just comes out looking bland.

(edited by narwhalsbend.7059)

Medium Armour Diversity

RedStar.4218

There’s no armor diversity for any of the armor classes. GW1 had unique looking armor sets for each profession. Armor that was made non-specific so as to work for any of three professions just comes out looking bland.

That doesn’t make sense. You can have themed armor but make it available through the armor class.

I’ve never understood by some people desperately want profession exclusive armor. Why would you want to limit your choices ? For the sake of “exclusivity ?” …

Medium Armour Diversity

Posted by: versidia.4520

versidia.4520

That doesn’t make sense. You can have themed armor but make it available through the armor class.

I’ve never understood by some people desperately want profession exclusive armor. Why would you want to limit your choices ? For the sake of “exclusivity ?” …

That’s right, we are already too limited and don’t need more locked stuff.

Medium Armour Diversity

Labjax.2465

I don’t think he’s saying they should have made profession-exclusive armor. I think he’s saying that more sets should have been designed with a specific profession in mind, as opposed to trying to generically fit every profession umbrella’d under an armor class.

Or words to that effect.

Medium Armour Diversity

narwhalsbend.7059

I don’t think he’s saying they should have made profession-exclusive armor. I think he’s saying that more sets should have been designed with a specific profession in mind, as opposed to trying to generically fit every profession umbrella’d under an armor class.

Ideally, I would want the same system as GW1 where each profession could only wear their own armors, but if they wanted to open it to each armor class that’s okay.

I really just want the old style of armors that had the profession’s feel to them. I really miss the style of the old necromancer armors in particular. There’s nothing like it in GW2, except the ONE skin that they remade and sold in the gem store (though I should be surprised that they brought over any skins at all really).

Medium Armour Diversity

Astral Projections.7320

Gasp! No Trenchcoat? I can see your charr’s body outline. I’m shocked and offended. I hope you aren’t playing where small children can see you. (Hands him a coat to cover up).

/just kidding.

My Charr ele is feeling extremely envious right now.

Medium Armour Diversity

Posted by: Solandri.9640

Solandri.9640

Technically the starter headgear was class-specific. Though I believe when they changed it so you unlock skins, it got turned into generic heavy, medium, light. You still need to make a character of the class to unlock the skin though.

Medium Armour Diversity

narwhalsbend.7059

Armor is already separated by class. There are three armor classes and eight professions. Please use the correct terminology when talking about things in the game or no one will know what you’re talking about.

Medium Armour Diversity

Posted by: hydeaut.1758

hydeaut.1758

This is how a ranger looks in Age of Conan (T3-Raid armor-set, ingame screenshot):

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110702132253/aoc/images/2/28/Ranger_tier3_revealpyhx.jpg

The set in GW 2 which looks almost like real leather armor is the Ascalonian (though the pvp-set from above is also not bad):

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Ascalonian_Sentry_armor_human_male_front.jpg

Medium Armour Diversity

Posted by: Renkencen.6127

Renkencen.6127

Yeah I fed up with the majority of it being trendcoats. The only thief like armours I can get for my thief is mainly sneakthief, Inquest, Human cultural tier 3 and Koda which is too limited for me.

My ranger on the other had got no problem with my current wardrobe setup (Drake helm, prowler shoulder, ascended chest, arah glove, sneakthief legging and inquest boot) since he kind of look like an actual ranger in some military fantasy army.

In saying so heavy armours got it the worse while I think Anet are bias toward light armours (which come in ALOT of range).

Medium Armour Diversity

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

The pic is a bit outdated now, changed the yellow to be more orangeish to match Verdant weapons, recolored the shoulderpads to be orangeish. While she isn’t completely skimped out, I went for that “In your face!” punk look on my Sylvari Ranger.

While the cultural jacket does have a bit of a tail, I wouldn’t classify it as a trenchcoat.

Attachments:

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

(edited by GOSU.9574)

Medium Armour Diversity

Posted by: Felkes.2759

Felkes.2759

Yeah, I hate light armor diversity, or lack there of. The only “diversity” you’ll ever see is between cultural gear and even then it’s quite minor on everyone except t3 humans. I made a ranger as my first character, it’s the class I like most, and it’s my main, but g-dam is the armor boring. XP

Medium Armour Diversity

narwhalsbend.7059

The pic is a bit outdated now, changed the yellow to be more orangeish to match Verdant weapons, recolored the shoulderpads to be orangeish. While she isn’t completely skimped out, I went for that “In your face!” punk look on my Sylvari Ranger.

While the cultural jacket does have a bit of a tail, I wouldn’t classify it as a trenchcoat.

Is that a stock hair choice?

Medium Armour Diversity

Basaltface.2786

Norn cultural T2/T3 is pretty open, especially the legs. And why would anyone make a ranger who isn’t a female norn?

tastes differ

Medium Armour Diversity

sMihaly.1492

Gasp! No Trenchcoat? I can see your charr’s body outline. I’m shocked and offended. I hope you aren’t playing where small children can see you. (Hands him a coat to cover up).

/just kidding.

It shouldn’t
I also have a charr mesmer… SE chest piece, ascalons pants, rest obvious

Attachments:

Medium Armour Diversity

GOSU.9574

Is that a stock hair choice?

Nope, it’s in the hairstyle’s/makeover kits. One of my favorites across all races I must say.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

Medium Armour Diversity

Astral Projections.7320

/just kidding.

It shouldn’t
I also have a charr mesmer… SE chest piece, ascalons pants, rest obvious

Hmmmm. I missed that combination. I have to check it out.

What is the SE chest piece? Sorrow’s embrace? It doesn’t look the the light armor Sorrow’s Embrace chest piece.

Edit: nvm the important piece here is the pants, and I located them in the wardrobe. Looks like I need to do some dungeoning. ^^

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Medium Armour Diversity

Posted by: Kamatsu.8206

Kamatsu.8206

Oh, I wouldn’t say that.

What armor pieces are those?

and in regards to armor diversity – looking through the wardrobe, Medium armor does have a lot of trenchcoat style armor to me.

Medium Armour Diversity

RedStar.4218

Ideally, I would want the same system as GW1 where each profession could only wear their own armors, but if they wanted to open it to each armor class that’s okay.

I really just want the old style of armors that had the profession’s feel to them. I really miss the style of the old necromancer armors in particular. There’s nothing like it in GW2, except the ONE skin that they remade and sold in the gem store (though I should be surprised that they brought over any skins at all really).

Out of all the beautiful necromancer armor they imported the one and only set I never wanted to wear. Even the fish armor (primeval) would have been better.

However, they do have so kind of themed armor. Well only a very few sets. Dry Bones and Tribal for necromancers, Apprentice, Embroidered and Conjurer for Elementalist and Masquerade maybe for Mesmers (Mesmers wore elegant, stylish and sexy armor in GW1, in GW2 you don’t really find that).

Now for medium you can still find some profession themed armor and the overwhelming number of trenchcoats doest not necessarily equal “rangers”.

I don’t mind profession themed sets, but I do mind exclusive sets. Lucky for me, Anet does too because it’s sort of waisted work.

Medium Armour Diversity

GOSU.9574

Out of all the beautiful necromancer armor they imported the one and only set I never wanted to wear.

Could not agree more. Although I think at one point I did use the arms and legs from that set (wasn’t a full outfit in GW1, could be pieced together).

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

Medium Armour Diversity

narwhalsbend.7059

Nope, it’s in the hairstyle’s/makeover kits. One of my favorites across all races I must say.

That is very disappointing; I really love your character.

Can I have her?

Medium Armour Diversity

Posted by: Solitaire.3680

Solitaire.3680

I don’t think medium armor is poorly designed (except maybe the studded leather looks like something from 1999) but it does lack variety as several sets look very similar. But where medium has too many long coats, Light has too many skirts. It’s like the opposite. Also a lot of the lower level heavy armor I’ve noticed as I am leveling up all has the short skirt over the pants and there isn’t much variety. Maybe for future armor sets they can focus on reversing that a little bit like adding more regular short tops for medium armor (similar to the krytan set but not just in the gem store), and adding more variety of pants for light armor.

Medium Armour Diversity

Posted by: Matatomi.8472

Matatomi.8472

I’ve been seeing a fair number of female charaters wearing what looks like mini skirts. I’m curious, what armor or skin is that because I couldn’t find anything on it on the wiki.

Medium Armour Diversity

Labjax.2465

I’ve been seeing a fair number of female charaters wearing what looks like mini skirts. I’m curious, what armor or skin is that because I couldn’t find anything on it on the wiki.

There is the light armor Apprentice set. That has a mini skirt. And then there’s the medium armor Viper’s set – you won’t see it in the full set preview because the top mostly covers it (here is a picture with it visible: http://i.imgur.com/D2cXGBl.jpg).

Or words to that effect.