Medium gear looks... unappealing?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kite.2510

Kite.2510

I’ve noticed that whenever someone brags of the look of his/her gear, it’s ether Light or Heavy. There aren’t much good stuff to be found in medium/leather armors besides a couple of coats, and maybe a couple of hats (that like all hats in Tyria, they cause baldness)

…and don’t be toxic!

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

Trench coats are mostly what mediums have. gets old

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

Yeah.. & the upcoming one doesn’t look any better.. If it looked like this:

https://d3b4yo2b5lbfy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/83739banner.png

would be sweet. kinda funny that the banners tend to look nothing like the actual stuff in game hah.
But for as good a company Anet is, they really REALLY don’t like taking suggestions on Armor. They have done the design a weapon which is cool, but with all the griping on the forums about medium & people wanting stuff that looks more like the promo & less like a coat, we got: a picture of what we wanted & another coat.

(edited by DarksunG.9537)

Posted by: lmaonade.9207

lmaonade.9207

try telling that to human females :P

DarksunG.9537

huh? telling what?

lmaonade.9207

huh? telling what?

was a reply to the topic…

DarksunG.9537

huh? telling what?

I thought most ppl who played Human females hated the medium armor in the game?

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

The puffy sleeping bag look is horrible

lmaonade.9207

huh? telling what?

Where’d you get this from?

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

Trench coats are mostly what mediums have. gets old

I like the Order of Whispers gear.

Attachments:

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

huh? telling what?

This female doesn’t. I have different sets on my female Human, Asura, Norn and Sylvari.

Totally subjective, I agree.

Love the pirate looks on the Sylvari. So does my college-age daughter.
The pirate hat on Asura is awesome. (even on the male model)
The CM long coat and the Prowler coat both look good on all 4 of those races.
The Norn T3 cultural boots look great mixed in with the Prowler coat/gloves and with the CM coat.

The coats that are given as rewards for some of the personal story lines (Claw island part for example) are also nice.

I don’t particularly like the padded coat, but done in white with the Human cultural pants in black.. my “chef” looks quite nice.

The only complaint I really have is that I wish (A) the pirates boots for the Asura did not protrude naked toes and (B) there was more than just one closed-toed boot model for the Asura (T3-which costs 12g).

=====

I know there were threads a few months around release that complained about the constant “matrix” coat models.

And I’m guessing this will probably continue to be an on-going issue.

More “dress” and “jacket” options rather than “coat” may solve the problem. Also leather vests with shirts perhaps. A short leather biker jacket, for example, would look really good. Especially with the Norn default engineer hair.

-Sartorially yours

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

(edited by goldenwing.8473)

Posted by: IceBlink.4317

IceBlink.4317

I specifically made my female medium armor alt a norn, so she could use cultural gear. As for my male human thief, I already had my eye on the duelist chest armor when I first saw it in beta in character creation. XD

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

Every armour class complains about their limitations.

• If you’re medium, you’re gonna have to wear a longcoat almost without exception.
  • If you’re light, you’re going to have a skirt or robe.
  • If you’re heavy you can forget wearing anything soft, it’s all metal clasps, plates and spikes.

As a light armour user I often look longingly at the straps and buckles all the medium armours get, and wish I could have an outfit that didn’t have a skirt

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

Didn’t you hear? In the Law of GW2 all medium classes must wear unappealing leather & coats!

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

• If you’re medium, you’re gonna have to wear a longcoat almost without exception.
  • If you’re heavy you can forget wearing anything soft, it’s all metal clasps, plates and spikes.

As a light armour user I often look longingly at the straps and buckles all the medium armours get, and wish I could have an outfit that didn’t have a skirt

My cloth casters would love to have pants… and not the lone set of harem pants.

On the other hand, the guys have to wear robes as well, so I shouldn’t complain too much.

How many MMORPG’s have male casters in pants at end game?

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

The medium I don’t like is the helmet. Keep in mind I’ve mostly found stuff from TP and some cultural armor, but most options are a mask, looks more like something a dentist wears to me. This seems appropriate for a thief but doesn’t make a lot of sense for an engineer or a ranger. The hat with the feather is good for ranger and I saw some goggles for engineer but I think that is a starter choice for them. Then I was looking at Sylvari cultural armors and they looked like small ear muffs you could barely see. The other option I found just looked like someone had been abducted and had duct tape over their eyes. o_O

The Burninator

DarksunG.9537

huh? telling what?

Where’d you get this from?

pretty much every post I’ve seen on the topic of medium armor. Search the forums. back a few months ago, people were raaaaaging about it. I like trenchcoats, but I’m starting to see people’s points. honestly I can’t see how anyone who pays attention to the forums could get the idea that the consensus on the medium armor is positive.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

On the other hand, the guys have to wear robes as well, so I shouldn’t complain too much.

From supposedly the same people no less…

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Armor_art

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

From supposedly the same people no less…

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Armor_art

Probably not exactly the same …
In GW1 they were also a bit more decisive. In GW2 there are too many “I can’t decide if I want this to be pants or a dress so lets just go half and half”.

Posted by: IceBlink.4317

IceBlink.4317

I’m pretty happy with the looks I can get, though I had to get gemstore leggings for my elementalist due to lack of pants on light armor, haha.

As for headgear, I’m unhappy with a lot of it, as almost none of it can show the hair underneath (everyone is bald!). My thief on the right, I ended up just sticking with the anonymity starter hood which he wears sometimes, while my norn ranger will probably just always show her head.

(Picture is only adjusted to show rough height comparison, not scale)

Attachments:

Posted by: Creeper.9360

Creeper.9360

I don’t mind the trench coat look. I suppose my issue (and I imagine a lot of people) is that there are too many trench coats.

I like the medium Norn cultural and I like the Ascalon Leather set as well. Definitely could use some more variety though.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

I bought this issue up in the forums in september/october and then again the chris whiteside in november.

7 months later. Nothing. We get little temporary pieces of content. Yah. Nothing for medium armor.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

huh? telling what?

Yep.

Its either buttflappery all up in this place, or the duelist bikini top, or the one gemstore goth outfit.

I have a norn thief, a human ranger, and a sylvari engineer – all 3 of them use almost the exact same armor… starting with the duelist top. I actually like that top, but I don’t like that it is (word contractions are censored here?) one of only two buttflapless choices… Especially as I don’t like the other choice…

I do know some people who like the trenchcoats… but they are not 95% of folks, yet they get 95% of the choices.

For people who play male characters… to my eyes at least, the entire repertoire of options looks from bad to horrible, and the best I’ve found among my circle of people is one person who like one single choice… but I can never remember which one it is because they all look so similar to me…

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

(edited by Kichwas.7152)

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

And so many of the medium armor is so…not sure how say it, but poofy? It makes you look like you have this huge amount of cloth wrapped around you or something. Like you are dressed for sub zero weather. Long pants, long sleeves, coat all the way to the ground and looking like you are wearing layers of clothing under it, it puffs out so much.

Very little that is sleek and form fitting. Extremely little that don’t have long coats or buttcapes.

It’s like they had one template for medium and they designed that armor around it. With minor exceptions, It’s difficult to tell one from the other because they are so similar.

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Just be glad they brought back one of the Old Sets that wasn’t 100% longcoats
..sort of…

…use it most often for dungeons/jumppuzzes where I need to see a lot more of the ground around my already oversized Norn… (for regular farming, I prefer a mix of Whispers and C.M. armor)

There’s also the “other” Duelist armor, but it’s more Canthan looking…

(edited by ilr.9675)

Posted by: Aegis.9724

Aegis.9724

My problem with medium armor is that you can choose either coats or assassin-like gear.
Take t3 human for example, fits perfectly on a thief, but it’s completely out of place on a ranger or engi.

I wish they’d bring back class-specific gear on top of the general sets…the art is already there in gw1, so it’s mostly modeling and busywork. I’d kill for kurzick armor on my ranger..

(edited by Aegis.9724)

Posted by: Torqueblue.1945

Torqueblue.1945

huh? telling what?

Nah they’re not that bad. I prefer ’em , cept on my thief she wears a different armor set. The only armors I can think of ATM that are not Trenchie are the Studded and Noble.

If only the Ancient armor from GW1 made it here.

Scotch and Pills, what could possibly go wrong? – Max Payne

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

No, I only play females, have 2 medium armor female humans and I have very few choices. Dressed one of them in Order of Whispers armor, for the other one I would like T3, but I dislike how T3 top neck looks.

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Personally I’d love to see more revealing Heavy human armor, especially for females.

Posted by: Nyminett.8954

Nyminett.8954

Yep.

Its either buttflappery all up in this place, or the duelist bikini top, or the one gemstore goth outfit.

Agreed. One of the first things I did was to purchase the Gemstore Medium Armor set and handful of Transmutation stones. I only use the coat, though.

More “jacket-like” medium armors would be definitely welcome.

Attachments:

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

the only answer i found to this were the ascalon catacomb leggins, they are actual pants with no bum cape!!
or if you are a human the tier 1 or 2 but they look a little bulky and tier 2 have butt cape (sort of)

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Posted by: Ezeriel.9574

Ezeriel.9574

The T3 human armor is the only decent looking male armor I’ve seen, and I rolled sylvari /cry

The order of whispers gave me a backless hoop-skirt….. OMFG! Male armor! backless dress! Fail Anet! Shame! Shame on you!

The only way to play the engineer is to exploit it.
Playing the engineer “as intended” is simply not viable.

Posted by: Bbaghi.8934

Bbaghi.8934

They should make more cultural armor. I don’t like my Charr walking in human armor

Posted by: Kite.2510

Kite.2510

The best thing we can hope for is some Ninja outfit when the Kantha Expansion is eventually (and inevitably) released.

Until then, all the new armors added by patch are going to the gem store, as there is no permanent content on each patch to attach them to.

…and don’t be toxic!

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

Yep.

Agreed. One of the first things I did was to purchase the Gemstore Medium Armor set and handful of Transmutation stones. I only use the coat, though.

More “jacket-like” medium armors would be definitely welcome.

That’s a great corset top if you like the style. As the Duelist one is great if you like its style. But then those of us wanting no buttflaps sadly get limited to just these two options… Its a trenchcoat army in here…

I get it with ‘having a design vision’ but that doesn’t mean you only shop in the coat and jackets section of Macys…

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Medium armor is too “poofy” on males. There are always stretching issues, clipping, or just plain ugly armor!

The fact most are trenchcoats does not make it any easier on us.

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

^Well… Medium actually gets off easy there. Trenchcoats aren’t THAT bad.
Play 80 levels of male Heavy and see where that leads…. hope ya like Skirts!