Mega server problem with lag and Dcing

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Targos.9516

Targos.9516

Q:

Just to bring it up, i have talked to a lot of people who like and dislike the mega server. I have found most people are complaining about the new lag and disconnect, at bosses and other events. Which in turn they lost the chests at the end of the events or bosses. Personally, Today was the first time i lag at the Frozen Maw and then disconnented for server due to the amount of people doing these events.

I feel for those people that are losing out on the chests when they come back in and they get nothing. Is there anything that Guild Wars can do the help these people?

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Is there anything that Guild Wars can do the help these people?

• Reduce amount of people on the maps if the servers can’t handle it.
  • Improve servers to handle that amount of people.
  • Put in a tracking system which “holds” your progress in events in case you disconnect, because disconnects can happen anyway even if it’s not a server-side problem.

However, I believe that you already know these answers and are asking for a dev’s response and not a player’s one.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: SimpleCrow.5309

SimpleCrow.5309

I’d like to weigh in on this: I attempted to farm world events today for dragonite ore, and I experience a similar problem. By similar, I mean, exactly the same. At one point, just to test it, I started counting out the lag in seconds: I had twenty-four seconds in lag. At that point, when I couldn’t move, attack, or even waypoint, I simply gave up and quit. I’d like to think that I’ll be able to try again another day, but that’s just it: I won’t. Because of the system, I have been assured by Anet that I will be able to play with a full map of players, consistently, for the rest of my days.

Posted by: Lil Puppy.5216

Lil Puppy.5216

It has very little to do with the megaserver. If you would have went to any world boss prior to this update during world prime time you would have experienced the same issues.

The issue is your computer is requesting too much information from the servers and your computer and/or internet connection can’t handle it. The easiest way to ‘fix’ this issue is to utilize the graphics options available.

Character Model Limit will limit the amount of characters you see on screen during huge battles. This also alleviates some of the other issues you frequently experience during world boss battles.

I have a really low bandwidth 2Mb/s connection where I live and I get around 15fps at maw with Medium setting. Even on Highest (about 7fps) it still doesn’t max out my net connection. This isn’t lag. It’s your computer’s inability to process that huge amount of things it needs to. Remember GW2 is mostly still CPU bound.

It wouldn’t matter if you were playing gw2 on a super powerhouse quad sli whatever_is_the_best_card_today as long as GW2 is CPU bound it will process all of that stuff on your wonderfully underpowered super_awesome_3000core_beast_processor!

Attachments:

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

The issue is your computer is requesting too much information from the servers and your computer and/or internet connection can’t handle it. The easiest way to ‘fix’ this issue is to utilize the graphics options available.

Graphical settings have zero effect on Internet usage. The server transfers a constant amount of data, client simply renders the received data according to graphical settings of the client.

• If you disconnected, it was either your local ISP problem or ANet’s. Since DCing after LS updates is very frequent, it’s most likely ANet’s problem – their servers can’t handle the amount of people present in each instance.
  • If your skills are lagging (up to not firing at all), it’s either ISP or ANet’s problem; most likely it’s ANet’s problem as their servers can’t handle the amount of people they squished in each instance. The amount of skill lag after launch of megaservers has skyrocketed for me.
  • If the client crashed, it’s either your PC which couldn’t render the data provided by the client due to non-client soft/hardware issues, or the client’s been bugged, your specific settings triggered the bug, and it crashed.
  • If your framerate is low, it’s always your PC + client problem; there’s a limit to upgrading your PC (because the client is badly optimized and uses outdated technologies), after which you can only reduce graphical settings and/or resolution.
20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Frostroses.4196

Frostroses.4196

It has very little to do with the megaserver. If you would have went to any world boss prior to this update during world prime time you would have experienced the same issues.

Character Model Limit will limit the amount of characters you see on screen during huge battles. This also alleviates some of the other issues you frequently experience during world boss battles.

I have a really low bandwidth 2Mb/s connection where I live and I get around 15fps at maw with Medium setting. Even on Highest (about 7fps) it still doesn’t max out my net connection. This isn’t lag. It’s your computer’s inability to process that huge amount of things it needs to. Remember GW2 is mostly still CPU bound.

It wouldn’t matter if you were playing gw2 on a super powerhouse quad sli whatever_is_the_best_card_today as long as GW2 is CPU bound it will process all of that stuff on your wonderfully underpowered super_awesome_3000core_beast_processor!

post like this made me sad, how come someone with knowledge of what “quad sli” and “CPU bound” term can’t differentiate lag and fps problem.

The load is okay-ish for my PC during world boss, FPS is stable, BUT sometimes, i have random disconnect/unresponsiveness, when i can’t activate any skill, even if your statement about user-side ISP problem is true, your kind of lag is caused by download rate overloaded by too many action in a time, as opposed to what happen to me(FPS and all okay, people run okay) where i can’t activate skill = upload rate bottlenecked, by too many people at the same instance, which in turn mean this is Anet server problem, not user bandwidth problem, and very unlikely our CPU problem. Take a look back, CPU overload won’t cause random disconnection, it’ll cause FPS drop or completely freeze the game.

Posted by: WhiteOni.9873

WhiteOni.9873

Getting rly sick of this… everytime i do a zerg i DC and cant get back.. mostly when its a really good group aswell… I was gonna finish tequatl today… random DC.. gets put in overflow where they didnt even dent him… this is pretty much forcing me to quit the game since i cant play lol.. will try again in a few weeks i guess

(edited by WhiteOni.9873)

Posted by: SaintTamer.9276

SaintTamer.9276

I’ve lost many dungeon rewards coz of this.

Fix it please!!

Now I cannot complete any dungeon.

(edited by SaintTamer.9276)

Posted by: Phoenixgod.4170

Phoenixgod.4170

I hope that they’ll fix it ASAP.. The lag is unbearable I can’t even swing my sword,use a skill, or even wp to another place when I’m doing world bosses.. They need to make more copy of maps to reduce the number of players or just reduce the player capacity of every map >:(
PS: I can’t do world bosses anymore, I often get disconnected and comeback empty handed.. >:(

Posted by: Lil Puppy.5216

Lil Puppy.5216

In my defense the part about internet was supposed to be deleted before I posted it. Anyway, most of the time when I see someone complain about lag it’s because their computer is slow and can’t render all the graphical things they have their client set to render. Not all gamers know that graphical lag and internet lag are different things entirely. I am fully aware of how the internet works and how the client server relationship in this game works.

The servers transfer to your client exactly the amount of data that your client needs to render at any given location. You do not get all of the data for every single user interaction/animation in the entire zone, you get only the things relevant to your local area.
I have disconnected a total of about 4 times since beta, I have a really slow internet connection. If you are disconnecting it is a problem with your router, your internet service provider, or a random node on the internet. The single most common type of disconnect is when your computer loses it’s connection to the login server, this will force a disconnect from the server and boot you back to the character select screen.

Skill lag is a double edged sword, it can either happen on the way to their servers or on the way back from them but they are always recognized; when they finally get to your client after you hit several of them in frustration, they all fire off in a short amount of time – skill rubberbanding.

Just did Fire Elemental with some resource monitoring on. Graphic Models were on Highest during this test, at the culmination of the event the maximum bandwidth that I used was approximately 27KB/s down and less than 1KB/s up.
My lowly 2Mb/s connection can handle 220KB/s down and 75KB/s up. To my surprise I still managed over 10fps at the end with most of it at around 15fps.
My latency (lag) was between 100ms and 300ms which is well within the non-pvp acceptable range for an MMO. I live in Oregon, and I can’t remember where they put the servers. I was also streaming some music videos from youtube at the time which used more bandwidth(32KB/s) than gw2 during the event peak.

In any case, I do recognize that occasionally there is a hiccup somewhere, though for me it is rare. Whenever I encounter some slowdown I just engage differently. I still recommend that if you want to do boss events to adjust your graphical settings (not all computers are created equal), especially the model limit setting.

Posted by: Phoenixgod.4170

Phoenixgod.4170

In my defense the part about internet was supposed to be deleted before I posted it. Anyway, most of the time when I see someone complain about lag it’s because their computer is slow and can’t render all the graphical things they have their client set to render. Not all gamers know that graphical lag and internet lag are different things entirely. I am fully aware of how the internet works and how the client server relationship in this game works.

The servers transfer to your client exactly the amount of data that your client needs to render at any given location. You do not get all of the data for every single user interaction/animation in the entire zone, you get only the things relevant to your local area.
I have disconnected a total of about 4 times since beta, I have a really slow internet connection. If you are disconnecting it is a problem with your router, your internet service provider, or a random node on the internet. The single most common type of disconnect is when your computer loses it’s connection to the login server, this will force a disconnect from the server and boot you back to the character select screen.

Skill lag is a double edged sword, it can either happen on the way to their servers or on the way back from them but they are always recognized; when they finally get to your client after you hit several of them in frustration, they all fire off in a short amount of time – skill rubberbanding.

Just did Fire Elemental with some resource monitoring on. Graphic Models were on Highest during this test, at the culmination of the event the maximum bandwidth that I used was approximately 27KB/s down and less than 1KB/s up.
My lowly 2Mb/s connection can handle 220KB/s down and 75KB/s up. To my surprise I still managed over 10fps at the end with most of it at around 15fps.
My latency (lag) was between 100ms and 300ms which is well within the non-pvp acceptable range for an MMO. I live in Oregon, and I can’t remember where they put the servers. I was also streaming some music videos from youtube at the time which used more bandwidth(32KB/s) than gw2 during the event peak.

In any case, I do recognize that occasionally there is a hiccup somewhere, though for me it is rare. Whenever I encounter some slowdown I just engage differently. I still recommend that if you want to do boss events to adjust your graphical settings (not all computers are created equal), especially the model limit setting.

Well in my case, The problem is not my computer nor my internet connection I can run gw2 in High settings even tho I did try to lower the graphics to “best performance settings” when I’m doing world bosses and it doesn’t change a thing, And when it comes to my internet connection I don’t experience any lag when I’m doing dungeons,pve,mining etc. the lag occurs when it comes to world bosses and the map is crowded, It’s really annoying that I can’t swing my sword,use a skill or even wp..

Posted by: Zan.2691

Zan.2691

Yeah, this lag and Dcing is taking a toll on me as well. Can’t even play one of my favorite games anymore because I’m too busy dropping to 10 FPS if I even decide to run forward. Before the megaserver I stayed around 30 FPS only dropping below in places like Lion’s Arch and mass player events (Which is something I can tolerate entirely) but that is completely out of the question now. I just can’t play anymore and I sincerely hope it doesn’t stay that way. ¯\(?)

Posted by: Moderator.6840

Moderator.6840

Hello,

Since we are receiving a lot of feedback about this topic, we are gathering it in a dedicated thread. You are very welcome to repost your question, comments and concerns in this discussion.

Thank you for your understanding.