Megaserver? Guild Forums?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Allelya.6830

Allelya.6830

If we’re on a “megaserver”, how come I only see maybe 5 people talking in chat? Shouldn’t I see like 50 people making my chat box scroll like mad? Or am I instanced, in a sense?

Also, why are guild forums being removed? Isn’t that one of the ideal places to recruit? Now what do we do, spam General Discussion?

:/

Delvien – d/d Elementalist – Gates of Madness

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Guild recruitment messages belong in this forum:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/community/lookingfor

The Burninator

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Just because there are many people on a map doesn’t mean everyone will use the chat. Back in the days when LA was the place to be you could easily see 50-60 people standing around and yet only 3-4 were actually talking in map-chat.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Brimstar.9036

Brimstar.9036

Lots of people are busy playing the game, in their own parties, talking to their own guilds. This is common in any MMO, doesn’t matter the population on the map, people are in the area for a goal and not to hub chat like in cities.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Perhaps not a lot of players still play?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I rarely have Map Chat on, so there may be others like me. Or, others are busy doing what they do, rather than taking time out to chat. It can be difficult to fight and chat at the same time…for some.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I’ve never found open world map chat outside of champ train zones to be very active in this game. LA gets the bulk of map chat.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I chat the entire time I’m online…with my guild, on mumble. Why should I type during dynamic events when I can talk?

Posted by: Rangelost.4857

Rangelost.4857

Megaservers don’t necessarily mean you are going to see a lot of players. It’s an extremely buggy system with a sole objective: destroy any potential sense of community.

What it actually does is regroup a certain number of players from random worlds onto different map copies. When players begin to leave the map, it will more often than not result in shutting down the copy and shove the players left on it into another random existing copy.

Think of it like overflow maps, except there is no main copy. You are simply thrown into a map copy that needs more players. The system makes it an absolute nightmare to try and find people from your own world (for WvW or other homeworld-related matters), or even to participate in a large guild event, because players are scattered across different map copies at complete random.

So in other words, megaservers prevent maps from being empty, but they do not, by any means, increase the number of players on a normally highly populated map (like a city).

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Also, in the EU, megaservers bring a lot of people using different languages onto the same map. The natural result is often quieter map chat rather than lots of different languages cross talking.

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

Megaservers don’t necessarily mean you are going to see a lot of players. It’s an extremely buggy system with a sole objective: destroy any potential sense of community.

What it actually does is regroup a certain number of players from random worlds onto different map copies. When players begin to leave the map, it will more often than not result in shutting down the copy and shove the players left on it into another random existing copy.

Think of it like overflow maps, except there is no main copy. You are simply thrown into a map copy that needs more players. The system makes it an absolute nightmare to try and find people from your own world (for WvW or other homeworld-related matters), or even to participate in a large guild event, because players are scattered across different map copies at complete random.

So in other words, megaservers prevent maps from being empty, but they do not, by any means, increase the number of players on a normally highly populated map (like a city).

Believe it or not, it is not entirely random ^^

Posted by: Rangelost.4857

Rangelost.4857

Believe it or not, it is not entirely random ^^

I am aware, but if the algorithm cannot so much as guarantee party members to get on the same map copy, it might as well be completely random.

If there’s one thing the original Guild Wars couldn’t have done better, it’s the channel system. Being able to not only see but also to select which map copy to play on is undeniably a must for this kind of system.

Posted by: Feirlista Xv.1425

Feirlista Xv.1425

Also they may be on a VoIP server like Teamspeak or ventrilo. I mainly hang out on TS a group of freinds and I have a TS server that we hang out on and rarely type in chat. Hate to type in game for chat and rarely read the chat. Most large guild run a TS or Ventrilo server.

Opinions are like ______ everyone has one I could
put the correct term in but not everyone has kittens

Posted by: Silvia.9130

Silvia.9130

Guild recruitment messages belong in this forum:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/community/lookingfor

Well, in my experience, as long as the search function is broken (and will never be fixed obviously) “looking for” is literally the most useless forum section in this site. A huge massive mess of people looking for PvP teams, guilds and guilds recruiting, NA and EU altogether, moving posts to page 2+ in minutes. I personally never managed to find anything I was looking for and the post I shared was seen by like 1 person then disappeared to the who-knows-which-page, maybe works better with others.

>>Lady Carlie Castle<
>>=<

JustTrogdor.7892

The OP asked were to post such messages. I answered the question. If you don’t like the way it works perhaps you should start a thread about it.

The Burninator

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Most people aren’t particularly chatty with strangers. Being in an mmo isn’t going to change that. Some will start talking and get a few others to respond but the rest are either silent or talking to those they know.

Posted by: Worblehat.8697

Worblehat.8697

The OP asked were to post such messages. I answered the question. If you don’t like the way it works perhaps you should start a thread about it.

There already is one:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/community/lookingfor/Request-Impoved-Guild-Recruitment-Forum
Created two days ago, currently on page 3.

And I completely agree, the “looking for” forum is structurally useless. For any given user, the signal to noise cannot exceed 1, and since real gamers are not idealized frictionless spheres, S/N<1 for actual users. NA players have no interest in EU guilds and vice versa.

At a minimum, there need to be two “looking for” forums (NA, EU). Ideally there should be four, NA-LFGuild, EU-LFGuild, NA-Guild recruitment, EU-Guild recruitment.

JustTrogdor.7892

Then post in that thread about it. It is more likely to catch the devs attention as opposed to this thread.

The Burninator