Megaservers - Can they be finished?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: keth.1836

keth.1836

Because at the moment it’s like a half-backsided thing that was never finished. It reminds me of the bad old days in the early 2000’s.

Been disconnected (by the game) world boss hunting about four times this morning. Each time came back to a completely different and either empty, or the boss had completed maps.

Yesterday went several times thru the palaver of trying to get guild mates on the same map. It’s prehistoric the way it works here.

Why is there no map hopping available? Why can’t you, for example, right click on the guildie in the guild roster and ‘move to map’?
Why does the game not remember what instance you are on? So when you log back in, if that instance still exists and is not full, you go back there? To guard against these disconnects that seem to be becoming more common now the population is rising again?

Like I said, feels like a half finished botch job at the moment.

Posted by: Bellatrixa.3546

Bellatrixa.3546

I’d like a return of the ‘district’ select from a box system from the first game if everyone’s on the same server now.

“Even if we find a way to save the world from the
dragons, I sometimes wonder if we’ll ever find a way to save us from ourselves.”

Posted by: Zanther Deathbringer.4762

Zanther Deathbringer.4762

I’m pretty sure “the game” isn’t the culprit here.

Posted by: WabbaJaga.3861

WabbaJaga.3861

A “travel to player” option (like they have in TESO) would be nice.

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

This is what I been saying for months and naysayers say the system is perfectly fine!

They obviously have never played GW 1.

What we need is:

Go to map of friend or Guild Mate by just right clicking them on contacts/guild panel. Yet restrict its use if they are not in same guild or party (normal taxi) or when they are not a mutual friend (watcher) to prevent grieving, stalking and/or bullying.

Caveats:
Non-mutual friend not in the same guild and also not repping same guild at that moment in time, are limited to one taxi in this way per unique player.Aka just a watcher in contacts.

Same Guild repping at same time has no restrictions to taxing to any member actively repping.

Party taxi works as normal

Mutual friends able to go to same map unlimited times.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Posted by: Godmoney.2048

Godmoney.2048

I get a consistent crash since launch when I do the WB traint usually at KQ or SB.

To prevent this crash i always restart the game at Shadow Behemoth to clear my memory. If I don’t I’m almost guaranteed to crash at Karka Queen. This has been this way since the introduction of South Sun cove. This is also the 2nd computer build Ive made that this happens on. The last being a AMD machine and this new one being a i7 Intel build.

Other than that though the megaservers work great.

I wonder if they’ll ever fix that? Got real old years ago. Now I just have committed to logging out and restarting the game every couple hours to avoid the crash.

keth.1836

I’m pretty sure “the game” isn’t the culprit here.

I smell a ‘pro’, lol.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

If you’re constantly getting disconnected it’s usually not the game’s fault. It’s rare that server instability is such that people experience random disconnects.

Megaserver seems to work pretty well for most people.

I wouldn’t be opposed to a district selection though.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: AnClar.1304

AnClar.1304

For the folks talking about the district system in GW1, I seem to remember the filling up of districts such that at times it was impossible to get into the district you wanted to be in. Physical capacity is physical capacity, regardless of the mechanic used to move around.

(edited by AnClar.1304)

keth.1836

If you’re constantly getting disconnected…

No one said anything about constantly being disconnected. FYI.

Posted by: risa.1382

risa.1382

They have a very strong habit of forgetting things they learned in GW. Or should have learned.

Posted by: Nieguen.6235

Nieguen.6235

They have a very strong habit of forgetting things they learned in GW. Or should have learned.

It is mainly not the same people, so… your argument is invalid

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Teleport_to_Friend

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: Rangelost.4857

Rangelost.4857

I’m still waiting for either the removal of megaservers, or the addition of an option to join the map copy of non-party members (friends or guildmates). It’s been over a year, and megaservers are still the same disaster that has destroyed and is preventing any sense of community in-game.

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

The district system from gw1 would be best.

That’s cool but has nothing to do with this.

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

More and more MMOs are going to the megaserver. They will not get rid of it.

Posted by: HardRider.2980

HardRider.2980

Map is full = full.
Moves player to non full map.
If you’re dc’n alot.. it’s often not the games fault 100% of the time.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

There’s something disturbing to me (from some real world experiences) in the idea of being restricted to a particular area (in this case, my own server), as some people are suggesting with the removal of megaservers. I’ve made friends from other servers – our friendships based on shared interests, not the server we happened to start on. I think a global stage doesn’t preclude community. It provides more people to form a community with. Just as an enforced gated ‘community’ (or server) doesn’t naturally create real community. Asking for the megaservers’ removal reminds me of real world parallels where people are forced to live in a confined space at the whims of someone else. Fortunately, megaservers seem to be here to stay, which allows us to make friends with other servers, or just with people from our own server if that’s your preference. More options is good. As are suggestions on how to improve the megaservers and make it easier to form a good global community, so lets focus on those.

Posted by: Nutshel.7264

Nutshel.7264

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Teleport_to_Friend

So what we need is easy way to coordinate group (guild) joining single server and protection against DC.

What we’ve got is rare item that doesn’t work half the time

Posted by: Nannabie.6943

Nannabie.6943

What i would like 2 see when it comes to mega-servers. I wish towns was for Servers only, so that players from for example Blacktide only had BT players in their towns. This way it would be easier for guild to recruit players from one special server. For WvW guilds it must be nice. Before Mega-servers you could see WvW guild link Ts info and ask people for help in maps – that’s not really possible now since most guilds/servers want their Ts free from spy’s
Im not in a WvW guild but i see this as a good thing. But also it would be nice to not always see new and random players but have a little community within a town.

And all other maps should be as a Mega-server

Hehe I dunno, just a thought xD :P