Megaservers: Give us a choice.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ehjhey.1894

ehjhey.1894

I think the stance Anet has taken in terms of discussing Megaservers at this point is “Let’s wait until you’ve actually tried it, and THEN talk about how we can fix it.” is it the best stance to take? probably not. Is it unreasonable? Don’t think so. It’s one more day. I wanna see with my own eyes how it plays out before I make any more suggestions.

Posted by: Finaldeath.1059

Finaldeath.1059

You only highlighted and agreed with what I said. These zones are dead for a reason. Its not populating them any more than they were. Its just congesting the tiny portion of the playerbase that are actually there into one spot. There is still no reason or incentive for people to be there, while the already congested maps become moreso as people from all servers are thrust together in who knows how many overflows as new maps are created (not to mention higher limits means stupid size zergs in Queensdale and the likes. Just wait for the holy crap lag topics that will appear).
They are creating the illusion of population. If xx zone is dead and takes merging 24 different servers into one to make a population count of around 30 people…that says a lot about the content of said zone.

You seem to be missing the entire point i am trying to make. I agree some areas need their content looked at, the problem is they have no way to know what content is most popular and which isn’t when lots of people are unable to play the content due to lack of people to play it with. For some zones like starter zones where you can easily do the stuff alone if you absolutely had to and people still avoid it (like it is currently for some of the starter zones) then it does need a bit of attention. But for other zones like the Orr zones that require a group to do most if not all of the content there, there is no way to know why people aren’t playing that content. It could be there just isn’t enough people to do it, or it could be that it is just straight up bad. Once this system is up and running and proves to work (or not, but that is irrelevant right now) any zones that are left more or less dead in the water they would know that those zones might need a bit of attention.

If zones come to the point where they are so populated due to this system that people start lagging then this system would be a running success. They already have settings in place you can freely change to help with lag from lots of players, if lowering these doesn’t help then you might have want to look into upgrading your computer or buying a new one all together. This won’t be a problem for many people, specially those who play wvw and have no problem seeing as wvw can have many more people on screen than pve can. I have been in many huge zerg vs zerg battles in wvw and this hasn’t really been an issue, specially after they added the settings to lower the quality/quantity of players on screen at once.

But again, even if this system gives some zones 5 or 6 extra extra people from combining all the servers, that is 5 or 6 people who wouldn’t be there otherwise and could be enough to make something that you used to be unable to complete now doable and again would mean, at least for me, that this system is a success.

I am not saying the system doesn’t need tweaking or that it is perfect. Some people will be inconvenienced by this, but anet can easily tweak it once it has been tested to be more suitable for everyone like the people who are part of massive multi guild alliances or rpers. But honestly would you rather a good sized chunk of the game stay largely unplayable for a large chunk of the population or be inconvenienced a bit for a month or 2 but have a healthier game that everyone can enjoy not just those that do stuff that doesn’t rely on others that currently don’t exist where they are. It isn’t fair to continue asking the same people like myself who want to play content we payed for nearly 2 years ago without jumping through hoops to do just that. I know it isn’t fair to inconvenience them either but anet has already said many times that they have things in place to allow them to continue doing that they are doing. The part that is unfair is how they are doing everything they can to stop this update from happening when this update could make the game finally enjoyable for many people.

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

I think the stance Anet has taken in terms of discussing Megaservers at this point is “Let’s wait until you’ve actually tried it, and THEN talk about how we can fix it.” is it the best stance to take? probably not. Is it unreasonable? Don’t think so. It’s one more day. I wanna see with my own eyes how it plays out before I make any more suggestions.

Anet’s stance is “We’re going to do this, and you’re going to like it, and if not, who cares, we’re going to do it anyways.”

Posted by: Bunter.3795

Bunter.3795

I didn’t start this thread to discuss the merits of the megaserver system. I don’t like the idea of it and seeing how ANET basically deals with any kind of dissent (silence until it goes away) it’s going to be implemented no matter what we say or desire.

I posted this to form a bridge/compromise whereby allowing us to choose which criteria we’re sorted by thus enabling some player control on which megaserver we end up on. That was the intent of this topic not the merits of the megaserver system as a whole. Give us (the players) a choice on how we’re sorted not some hidden algorithm that dictates where we go no matter what we feel like doing on a particular day. I don’t RP and if all of a sudden I desire to experiment with it the system is not going to know that, it’s going to continue to sort me by the same old criteria from my normal play. All I’m asking for is the ability to choose that on X day, I can choose Y way to play.

Some of you may say that I can do that now and sure I can RP to my hearts content but if I don’t get placed with other RPers how am I (or any other new person) going to know if they like that way of playing? If I want to make sure I’m on the highest population map I can be on for a world event, let me make the choice at this moment.

I agree the megaserver system is an unknown quantity and could (that is could) be a great thing but with no player control on how we’re sorted it’s more than likely to not have the desired function as we’ll have no control on how we’re sorted.