Megaservers are actually kind of awesome?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tagus Eleuthera.7305

Tagus Eleuthera.7305

I’m pretty liberal with my criticism, so I figured I should say this too. The last few days I’m actually really loving the megaserver. There’s always people in the zones for the big bosses now, and they don’t take forever to kill anymore. Secondly, I zoned into Orr last night and there were actually 4 different groups of people running around doing events, so I followed a couple of different commanders and it was like the old days. I actually did Plinx twice! Haven’t done that in ages.

Anybody else secretly digging the megaserver? It’s actually pretty awesome in some ways.

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

Pros:

• Full maps
  • Easier to level and do events
  • No more 2 guesting passes per day

Cons:

• Can’t move the whole raid/guild/party in the same map from the get go.
  • Temples and the traits connected with them are not thought very well
  • RP is also screwed
  • Guild missions need revamp.So guilds don’t bump into one another
  • Also scaling makes 80s to OP and low characters under powered.
TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

(edited by moiraine.2753)

Posted by: Aidan.4602

Aidan.4602

Megaservers are really good, because: it’s a Massively Multiplayer Online game and you will see lots of people wandering around doing their own things, grouping up for boss fights, roleplaying, chatting, doing other things. And it really feels great. From a player perspective (new and old players alike) this social improvement will adjust leveling experience of main and alt characters. Random encounters while on an adventure are also a major addition (help random group of players, venture forth to do more events, meet more people, group up, kill some champion events, chat underwater – that was what I’ve seen not long ago).
However, ArenaNet should seriously consider replying to critical suggestions and feedback on Megaserver structure on forums. A lot of things have to be vastly improved and issues have to be addressed in order for players to be able to enjoy Megaserver technology properly. I am talking about Guild Missions in particular.

Aidan Vilesight, a Charr engineer – Desolation

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

the biggest obvious issues with the megaserver is

guilds >events/missions etc
creating and reinforcing the new concept of communities

the less obvious issues are, handling dynamic events without putting them on a bus schedule.

I will say the potential is pretty good with megaservers, and they no longer have to fear empty zones when it comes to making new content.
(if its empty with 24 worlds, no one really wants to be there, aka a content problem)

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

I have never made it secret that I rather like the megaserver.

Having said that, I agree with Aidan that there are some serious issues with the calculations for server placement that need to be addressed.

Level 80 Elementalist

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

As above mentioned, for general PvE it’s great. People are doing events and there is active map chat. It’s like the game was at the start when people were still crowded into the starter zones.

However for guild missions, getting into the same map as people on your friend list or guild, temple events (which are hard to get as the temples are continuously defended) and boss meta events which are huge computer crashing zergs; these all have problems that need to be addressed.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

As above mentioned, for general PvE it’s great. People are doing events and there is active map chat. It’s like the game was at the start when people were still crowded into the starter zones.

However for guild missions, getting into the same map as people on your friend list or guild, temple events (which are hard to get as the temples are continuously defended) and boss meta events which are huge computer crashing zergs; these all have problems that need to be addressed.

I think defense events probably need to have some cool events that only pop when you are in a positive condition. The elementals are a nice touch, but events is the meat of the game.
Also the traits that need defense need to be able to be completed in some way even if the mpa is winning. AKA every defense event needs to give you the oppurtunity to get the trait

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I think defense events probably need to have some cool events that only pop when you are in a positive condition. The elementals are a nice touch, but events is the meat of the game.
Also the traits that need defense need to be able to be completed in some way even if the mpa is winning. AKA every defense event needs to give you the oppurtunity to get the trait

I read one suggestion for the defense events, where each succeeding event scales in difficulty until eventually it fails and the temple event starts. This allows people to repeatedly do the defense events and the people who want to do the temples also to get their chance.

Posted by: Lostyus.4250

Lostyus.4250

Pros:

• Much more people
  • Many events finished
  • No more 2 guestings per day

Cons:

• Temples and the traits conected with them are not thought very well
  • RP is also screwed.
  • Guild missions need revamp.So guilds don’t bump into each other.

Cons+

• Too many people doing events so it becomes harder to get EXP from mobs and to get credit for event.
  • Most events now are nothing more than hitting auto-attack, with no reason to dodge, heal or buff/debuff (because of too many people).
  • Choice gone whether the player wants to guest to a higher/lower populated server.
  • More lag.
  • (slightly) longer load times.
  • Less feeling of a community.
  • More trash talk/trolling/arguments.
  • Scaling doesn’t work well, now there’s more down scaled lvl 80 players running around killing things in 1 or 2 hits.

These are things I’ve personally witness (a hell of a lot) and what a lot of people on the forums are complaining about. I think the Cons outweigh the Pros.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Very pleased with the Megaserver rollout. I understand some players are having trouble with getting their groups together for Guild Missions but I have not run into this yet.

It’s wonderful seeing zones that had gone quiet now bustling with players. Good job and excellent way to future proof the game as new areas are unlocked

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

I dont do much PvE but when i do , i like the mega servers, maps are filled with people as u may expect from a MMO. Ofcourse it has its flaws and issues that need to be addressed and im sure they will be working on it. Just give it some time.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Posted by: The Pointless.3869

The Pointless.3869

Pros:

• Much more people
  • Many events finished

Cons:

• RP is also screwed.

Cons+

• Too many people doing events so it becomes harder to get EXP from mobs and to get credit for event.
  • Most events now are nothing more than hitting auto-attack, with no reason to dodge, heal or buff/debuff (because of too many people).
  • Choice gone whether the player wants to guest to a higher/lower populated server.
  • More lag.
  • Scaling doesn’t work well, now there’s more down scaled lvl 80 players running around killing things in 1 or 2 hits.

These are things I’ve personally witness (a hell of a lot) and what a lot of people on the forums are complaining about. I think the Cons outweigh the Pros.

Many of which might be rectifiable with some tweaks and modifications in those respects. Cons outweighing the pros doesn’t necessarily write off a feature, where an MMO is concerned. It just means there’s some room for improvement.

Tossing in my approval of Megaservers as well. It’s nice to see some life in maps such as Orr now. I don’t deny that there are problems with it, but they are hurdles, not insurmountable walls.

(edited by The Pointless.3869)

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Pros:

• Much more people
  • Many events finished

Cons:

• RP is also screwed.

Cons+

• More lag.

So why not just remove “Much more people” as a pro and make it into a con because
everything you said is related comply to “more ppl.” And to be blunt if you want to play with less ppl maybe mmo are not for you.

I like the megaservers the cites are full of ppl now sadly the /m chat still dose not have a lot of ppl talking i guess ppl are there to do things and not just to chat.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

It certainly has its merits. Anywhere that you saw a low population in the past has benefited.

Anywhere that was already highly populated is having a pretty significant adjusting period, one that they don’t think was necessary.

Posted by: Deim Hunir.8503

Deim Hunir.8503

So far I am pleased myself. It was tedious and boring before when leveling on empty maps.

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

There is serious Cons on the MegaServers that need to be addressed, from Guilds to Major Events Organization and how it’s still breaking parties and guildies apart on several megaservers….. Not to talk about the massive Zergs at World Bosses that in my case and some of my friends i play with, it’s way to laggy to be playable, specially at Karka Queen.

MegaServers for me are nothing more than one Mega Overflow with a different name, when for the 3rd day i try to enter our TS Community organized Wurm run and i’m always put in a different megaserver and the right one gets full in Seconds (40min before the event iself starts), one does not simply DARES to say something positive about MegaServers!!!

(not that there is positive sides, but the negative one impacts much more)

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

(edited by Max Lexandre.6279)

Lostyus.4250

Pros:

• Much more people
  • Many events finished

Cons:

• RP is also screwed.

Cons+

• More lag.

Many of which might be rectifiable with some tweaks and modifications in those respects. Cons outweighing the pros doesn’t necessarily write off a feature, where an MMO is concerned. It just means there’s some room for improvement.

I didn’t say it needed writing off (though I much preferred the old system TBH), but there’s a lot of things that will need major reworking. I don’t think it’s as simple as just tweaking bits here and there.

Even if they have a flag (or something) for the many RP’ers, (which I’m not one of) it means that community will still get hassled by the toxic people who like nothing more than to talk crap lol.

Also People joined certain servers for the lower populations and always had the choice to go to high populated zones if needed. Now that choice is gone.

Sorting the servers in the EU is no simple task and the temporary fix they’ve done with the chat hasn’t even gone a small way to fixing that problem. It just means now you can be in a map with tons of people, with no talking in the chat box, or lack of communication in boss fights.

The cons are still there, how many they choose to change is up for debate, but it has left a lot of people unhappy, especially because these concerns were brought up before the patch was even live.

I honestly don’t think A-net will be willing to compromise and that could cost them a lot of (once) loyal customers.

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

When we list the Cons we notice they’re not at all major things, but they cause major problems.
Sad thing if ANet is aware of the problems, we hear nothing from them but silence about.

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

Posted by: Travis the Terrible.4739

Travis the Terrible.4739

Ignoring obvious pro’s and cons of the megaserver. I’m a fan of it. But some of it is just infuriating to deal with. Especially for guild missions and what not.

Follow the darkness into the depths, it’s more fun than the light can provide.

Lostyus.4250

Pros:

• Much more people
  • Many events finished

Cons:

• RP is also screwed.

Cons+

• More lag.

So why not just remove “Much more people” as a pro and make it into a con because
everything you said is related comply to “more ppl.” And to be blunt if you want to play with less ppl maybe mmo are not for you.

I like the megaservers the cites are full of ppl now sadly the /m chat still dose not have a lot of ppl talking i guess ppl are there to do things and not just to chat.

Because I’m not against more people in maps but for the reasons I listed, it is ruining the game for a lot of people. You may be happy just hitting one button, doing no other action and frantically trying to hit each enemy before it dies, but that wasn’t how the game used to be.

Be as blunt as you like, but it was fine how it was for a lot of people, now there’s simply too many people doing each event. The game doesn’t work as it should or how it used to. There’s no skill and no fun in an event with too many people. They have the map cap too high. How did they not see this would be a problem.

Posted by: mjhungness.8059

mjhungness.8059

From my playstyle standpoint, I’m not affected by most of the cons listed above. I personally like just logging in and zoning to a map and being able to run events instead of consulting a web page to see which server I had to transfer to – and I had to choose correctly because I only got two transfers. I heard that the boss schedule is likely going to be tweaked and I have a feeling that there will be continuous improvement on guilds and parties staying together. The fact that there ISN’T anything coming from the devs is giving me the idea that they’re working on it. If they were saying “this is it, be happy with it” then it would be a different story. I’m happy with it.

Lostyus.4250

From my playstyle standpoint, I’m not affected by most of the cons listed above. I personally like just logging in and zoning to a map and being able to run events instead of consulting a web page to see which server I had to transfer to – and I had to choose correctly because I only got two transfers.

Why would you have to consult a website? lol. You’re making it sound more complicated than it was.

All I ever used to do was log into a high pop server if I wanted more people on an event/boss. No need to search the web.

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

It is WAY too crowded! It still needs a LOT of tweaking. It’s like every other event that pops up is squelched in seconds by the zerg which appears out of nowhere. What fun is that? And not every Boss fight is Tequatl. You don’t need 80 people minimum to take down the Shadow Beast. It is a disconnect/lagfest. Cut WAY back! Forget the problems with particle effects… I can no longer see the bad guys telegraphing their attacks due to the crowd.

Cities? WHY? What purpose does the MegaServer serve in cities? There are many much-addressed problems with this. Roleplaying. Guild Recruiting. WvW staging area. I can’t even see the Bankers through the press of flesh. I had to turn off player names on day one.

Cut it WAY back. Take it out of the cities.

The MegaServer is here! Run for your lives!

Attachments:

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

Why would you have to consult a website? lol. You’re making it sound more complicated than it was.

All I ever used to do was log into a high pop server if I wanted more people on an event/boss. No need to search the web.

Even for highly populated servers, sometimes finding an open instance for the Citadel of Flame, for example, required one of the party to guest over to find an open one because the home instance failed.

Or finding an open Temple of Balthazar to get Shards.

I get that sentiment… the events are more frequently getting done. Is that worth it? Your mileage may vary.

Lostyus.4250

Also as a con

• A lot of events aren’t even happening so new players aren’t seeing all the content.
    (For example, in Kessex Hills, the town in the northwest isn’t being attacked as the centaur aren’t gaining ground on the other events, they aren’t allowed to push forward to establish a forward base, so the next chain will happen.
  • Because the boss fights are now on a schedule (a consequence of the MS) a lot of new comers won’t even know there is a boss fight at the end of an event chain, so they’ll be missing out on story/content. They’ll just finish the event and move on.

moiraine.2753

Pros:

• Much more people
  • Many events finished

Cons:

• RP is also screwed.

Cons+

• More lag.

Fine i will replace it with Full Maps.Also for me it is not a Con because i like seeing people around.

Posted by: Justin.7163

Justin.7163

I haven’t really encountered some of the major issues that others have come across so for me the MegaServers are pretty great. No longer must I wander around zones feeling like the only person in the world! I guess the only issue I may have at the moment is that Boss Events can get quite crowded and it can be difficult to tag enemies, but right now it’s not a huge issue for me.

Posted by: Phoenixlin.8624

Phoenixlin.8624

So many “more is good” players again. Let’s make it clear:

More is not good if you are a part of a community and just because someone asked “more players” please, your community torn apart.

More is not good if you want to see familiar faces not random dudes that think “more is good yuppie”.

More is not good if you want something challenging in open world instead of brainless “push 1” activity.

More is not good if you want something easy. Because zerg already finished that easy task before youç

More is not good if you want to do something challenging like Wurm with your own community.

More is not good if more random people refuse to enter Teamspeak and ruin your one possible attempt of a megaserver.

More is not good if more people are filling your map chat with senseless and bad quality of trolling.

More is not good if your monthly goldseller whisper count is increased from 2 to 30.

More is not good if you lag more than old system because of both too many players and unstable megaSTUPIDservers.

More is ONLY good if you think MMOs are only MMOs because you can see more people.

moiraine.2753

So many “more is good” players again. Let’s make it clear:

More is not good if you are a part of a community and just because someone asked “more players” please, your community torn apart.

More is not good if you want to see familiar faces not random dudes that think “more is good yuppie”.

More is not good if you want something challenging in open world instead of brainless “push 1” activity.

More is not good if you want something easy. Because zerg already finished that easy task before youç

More is not good if you want to do something challenging like Wurm with your own community.

More is not good if more random people refuse to enter Teamspeak and ruin your one possible attempt of a megaserver.

More is not good if more people are filling your map chat with senseless and bad quality of trolling.

More is not good if your monthly goldseller whisper count is increased from 2 to 30.

More is not good if you lag more than old system because of both too many players and unstable megaSTUPIDservers.

More is ONLY good if you think MMOs are only MMOs because you can see more people.

Looks like Anet can’t make people happy what ever they do.When the world is Empty people complain.When the world is bursting with players people again complain.
Yes i agree with you that it’s not good to not be able to play with guildies and friends or RP so i have putted that in Cons.

Posted by: JoeytheHutt.1742

JoeytheHutt.1742

It IS nice to see more people around, I’ve done more temples than before. I also done a few champs I didnt know existed, so there is that.
Still, gw2 have now become somewhat more boring. The days of challenging a vet a lvl or two above you to get that skill point is over. The days of beeing a bit short on people and still try a boss/event is gone.
Bumping into guildies around the world seeems to be gone too. That was fun. I think I see more commanders than guildies now.
Before the patch, I could run with max setting, only struggling when two big zergs met in wvw. Now most world bosses and events with lots of people force me to go down to be sure to not crash and miss loot.
Party is a joke. I teamed up with someone to help him with jp’s. Megaserver split us up when soning.
Every. Single. Time.
I see a lot of people are happy with megaserver, and Im happy for them. I really is.
But it need a lot of fixing, tuning, adjustments, whatever, before the game feels as good as before megaserver for me.

Posted by: MotherKitten.6795

MotherKitten.6795

I like it much better now. I do feel bad for the role playing ppl tho, because they are usually very nice ppl and I like to see them have fun with what they do even tho I have no interest in it.

The Goderators have ruined this forum for me.

Posted by: sirflamesword.3896

sirflamesword.3896

So this has been stewing in my head since the threads about megaservers have been popping up(the same day they were announced), and I finally found a thread that sounds perfect for it. When guild missions/teq/and the other large zerg fights came about a bunch of people(me included) wanted them scaled better so that smaller guilds/groups could do this stuff without joining a huge guild we didn’t like. We were all basically told our way of playing is wrong and to find a large guild so we could do this stuff. I’m finally getting a chance to turn that around, maybe all the people in these large guilds that can’t get everyone into the megaserver should think about joining a smaller guild with better quality people?

Back on Topic, I love the new megaservers, I’m finally doing another map completion and it’s much more fun now that I see people do events/hearts/etc. There are a few problems, 1 being an easier way to get everyone from your guild into a single megaserver easier(or it just automatically putting you in the same one). I think just like if you right click on a party member and Join in, there should be a right click option in the guild list to Join in. Would save a ton of time getting everyone onto the same server when you can just say, everyone Join in on _. But other than that I haven’t really seen any other problems with megaservers that can’t be fixed with party up, or do a different event.

Pinnacle of Responsibility[Mom]-Yaks Bend
Unstable Shield, Unstable Light

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

I’m pretty liberal with my criticism, so I figured I should say this too. The last few days I’m actually really loving the megaserver. There’s always people in the zones for the big bosses now, and they don’t take forever to kill anymore. Secondly, I zoned into Orr last night and there were actually 4 different groups of people running around doing events, so I followed a couple of different commanders and it was like the old days. I actually did Plinx twice! Haven’t done that in ages.

Anybody else secretly digging the megaserver? It’s actually pretty awesome in some ways.

I think it depends on your situation. Are you playing solo then it’s very good. Are you playing in a group (Think RP communities or guilds) then it works really bad.

Back when ESO introduced this system I was already weary about it. The problem is that you try to link people in a smart way together but everybody is connected to everybody. I am connected to all my guild-members. My guild-members are connected to there connections (friends) who might be in other guilds. Those people are connected to all there guild-members and so everybody is connected to everybody. That’s why the whole matching up does not really work very well. If you smartly try to put connected people together you need to pretty much putt all people together in one server. That then does not fit and so people get mixed up seemingly totally random..

However, when playing solo you don’t care about that and it’s just nice to see more people.

Phoenixlin.8624

As I said again and again more players does not make MMOs what they are. Communities do MMOs what they are.

You are happy because you are seeing random bunch of people in your map. I wanna ask you that do you even have friends among them? Have you ever tried to make friends among them? I just tell you this, even if you do, megaservers will crush your fresh friendship. Because when you both use WP to go same map; with %95 probability you will be separated into different maps. Yeah you can try “join” option. But since ANet screw boss schedules, ALL PVE PLAYERS have to dive into that same map. If you or your friend is not faster enough, you can’t join each other because both of yours map will be full.

Another said s/he did more temples and champs. And I said I did more Tequatl and Wurm before Megaservers. Now I can’t. Because the community I could do such events can’t gather players in the same map as we were used to be. Random clueless players without listening/reading abilities are not good for such events (and even if they have listening/reading abilities in their native tongue, megaservers dont care whether you are a french/german/spanish in EU).

I will rewrite my statement again:

- More is not good if that more is created by random players not by your server or cross-server community.
- More is good only if you are not part of a community and do not think to be a part of a community (since less social abilities you need to use such as talking/listening and so on).

(edited by Phoenixlin.8624)

sirflamesword.3896

- More is not good if that more is created by random players not by your server or cross-server community.
- More is good only if you are not part of a community and do not think to be a part of a community (since less social abilities you need to use such as talking/listening and so on).

And I think you are wrong about this. It’s all a matter of opinion, I’m just happy that after a year and a half of catering towards the people who like huge guilds, and the players that ONLY like running with their guilds they finally put in something that helps out my playstyle.

I have a small guild of friends and we do alot of different things, usually separate while we chat in Mumble or in game, finally I can get different events done on maps that used to have 4-5 people without calling my guildies over when they are doing their own thing. Everyone was just a random to everyone else at one time, if not for the district system that just threw everyone in willy nilly in GW1 I would never have met the friends I have Ingame now and probably wouldn’t be playing GW2 either.

I think you should just let them work out the bugs that split up guild/party members, and maybe learn to have some empathy towards the people that have been treated as trash by the zergblob mentality for the life of the game.

Edit: Paragraphs

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

And I think you are wrong about this. It’s all a matter of opinion, I’m just happy that after a year and a half of catering towards the people who like huge guilds, and the players that ONLY like running with their guilds they finally put in something that helps out my playstyle.

I have a small guild of friends and we do alot of different things, usually separate while we chat in Mumble or in game, finally I can get different events done on maps that used to have 4-5 people without calling my guildies over when they are doing their own thing. Everyone was just a random to everyone else at one time, if not for the district system that just threw everyone in willy nilly in GW1 I would never have met the friends I have Ingame now and probably wouldn’t be playing GW2 either.

I think you should just let them work out the bugs that split up guild/party members, and maybe learn to have some empathy towards the people that have been treated as trash by the zergblob mentality for the life of the game.

Edit: Paragraphs

“I’m just happy that after a year and a half of catering towards the people who like huge guilds, and the players that ONLY like running with their guilds”
Lol they only just gave guilds the “Last Online” function. Something that guilds really need and you would expect to be in at Alpha. Still many guild managing tools miss.. Rights, agenda and more to do for guilds like raids. Guilds got Guild-missions and an arena (just a location.. not more) for GvG that’s all the ‘catering’ there as. Strange definition of catering.

Oow and the zergblob are usually pugs, not organized groups. So no, they should not feel any pain of this.

(edited by Devata.6589)

sirflamesword.3896

“I’m just happy that after a year and a half of catering towards the people who like huge guilds, and the players that ONLY like running with their guilds”
Lol they only just gave guilds the “Last Online” function. Something that guilds really need and you would expect to be in at Alpha. Still many guild managing tools miss.. Rights, agenda and more to do for guilds like raids. Guilds got Guild-missions and an arena (just a location.. not more) for GvG that’s all the ‘catering’ there as. Strange definition of catering.

Oow and the zergblob are usually pugs, not organized groups. So no, they should not feel any pain of this.

EVERYONE would like new things with guilds, this includes small, medium, and large guild. And guess what you named the 2 real additions to guilds since the start of the game…and they are catered to large guild, just like I said. In small guilds VERY rarely would the last logged in function matter, and guild missions can only be done weekly with about 10x the effort.

What do you call 50-60 members of the same guild doing events? A zergblob just as much as a pug group.

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

Two things I don’t like about megaservers:

Guild missions….
Bounty – lost 5 minutes just trying to ferry everyone onto the same map.
Puzzle – Waited for nearly 20 minutes for other guilds to finish then had people trolling the emotes section in plains of ashford puzzle so their guild could get in.
Challenge – Wasn’t exactly a challenge with 3 other guilds doing it too to help people out and speed it up for their turn.

Rush – Seems to be the only one that works out well… made it extremely easy doing spider rush with another guild there, sheer numbers got everyone through the dredge without being hurt.

LA/Gandarren Fields…
As part of being on a low populated server I feel these 2 maps should be server restricted…
It was very common for WvW people to go to LA and make a call out in map chat that X amount of golems were attacking Y objective and help was needed…

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

(edited by sephiroth.4217)

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

All the complains with the megaservers could be fix with Guild Wars 1 style districts. Make it guild specific district, megaserver district and a district for the server you are on.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Megaservers are really good, because: it’s a Massively Multiplayer Online game and you will see lots of people wandering around doing their own things, grouping up for boss fights, roleplaying, chatting, doing other things. And it really feels great.

I’ve never understood the mind that equates MMOs with crowds. To me the advantage of MMOs over single player games is I can hook up and game together with my friends. If I wanted to be around/see hundreds of people totally indifferent to my very existence as a human being, I’d sit in traffic.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

I like the megaservers, I like the idéa.

The time I have spent doing exploration on the maps has been wonderfull but the only setback for me is that my PC isn’t strong enough so I have lower FPS and loading time is longer but that is all my problem not megaserver.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

moiraine.2753

Megaservers are really good, because: it’s a Massively Multiplayer Online game and you will see lots of people wandering around doing their own things, grouping up for boss fights, roleplaying, chatting, doing other things. And it really feels great.

I’ve never understood the mind that equates MMOs with crowds. To me the advantage of MMOs over single player games is I can hook up and game together with my friends. If I wanted to be around/see hundreds of people totally indifferent to my very existence as a human being, I’d sit in traffic.

Well basically MMO is a Massive Multiplayer Online game so it is totally normal to expect to see many people around me.

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

Anybody else secretly digging the megaserver?

Nope!
For me megaserver is a mega fail in every single aspect of this game I can think of …

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

Phoenixlin.8624

Why should I have to learn to have some empathy towards the people that have been treated as trash by the zergblob mentality while all maps are invaded by the zergblob now?

You still keep saying “i couldnt do this event without doing x before megaserver, now I can do without doing x. So megaservers are good”. On the other hand I keep saying “I could do this event without any problem before megaservers, now I can’t do this event even with doing x”.

And the sad part, just because you did not want to use guesting or transfer to another populated server, you could not do those events. Basically, you had the chance to do anything you want, but you did not want to use that. Now, I can’t do anything because both guesting/transferring to another server won’t work even if I use them. I have no choice except not doing the events I could do.

That’s the true failing point of megaservers which ANet can’t fix because of the nature of megaserver idea.

sirflamesword.3896

Why should I have to learn to have some empathy towards the people that have been treated as trash by the zergblob mentality while all maps are invaded by the zergblob now?

You still keep saying “i couldnt do this event without doing x before megaserver, now I can do without doing x. So megaservers are good”. On the other hand I keep saying “I could do this event without any problem before megaservers, now I can’t do this event even with doing x”.

And the sad part, just because you did not want to use guesting or transfer to another populated server, you could not do those events. Basically, you had the chance to do anything you want, but you did not want to use that. Now, I can’t do anything because both guesting/transferring to another server won’t work even if I use them. I have no choice except not doing the events I could do.

That’s the true failing point of megaservers which ANet can’t fix because of the nature of megaserver idea.

I wasn’t going to respond to this, because I feel it didn’t even deserve one, but it’s getting under my skin so here it goes. NOTHING is more impossible to do now then it used to be. You can do EVERYTHING you were able to do before, and now other people are able to do more also.

Posted by: Asacledhae.2650

Asacledhae.2650

I wasn’t going to respond to this, because I feel it didn’t even deserve one, but it’s getting under my skin so here it goes. NOTHING is more impossible to do now then it used to be. You can do EVERYTHING you were able to do before, and now other people are able to do more also.

….and also get an epilepsy crisis while at it.

You forgot that RP is also flushed down the toilet alongside guild events. So no, you can’t do everything like before. It’s far worse the way it is right now. More players are nice, zerg are not. Megaserver could’ve worked if some features like manual instance selection were to be added. That would’ve solved everything if you ask me, and everyone would’ve been happy.

The reasons we love the new downgra…..er….feature patch :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqJlKjwrKB4

moiraine.2753

You forgot that RP is also flushed down the toilet alongside guild events. So no, you can’t do everything like before. It’s far worse the way it is right now. More players are nice, zerg are not. Megaserver could’ve worked if some features like manual instance selection were to be added. That would’ve solved everything if you ask me, and everyone would’ve been happy.

I like your idea about manual instancing.This will be great addition for the RP community and Raiding guilds like TTS and TxS.I’m part of the second one and right now we have enormous problems moving the whole raid into an empty map.On top of that guilds won’t bump into each other when doing Guild Missions.

sirflamesword.3896

You can’t RP if there are non RPers in the zone? I just don’t understand this, if someone says something stupid to the people who are RPing, that’s what the block list is for. I don’t RP and I really don’t even understand why someone would, but I’m also not going to say anything to anyone that IS RPing, and I would guess 99.9% of everyone is the same way. I can’t believe the RP community didn’t have people being kittens to them before, so I don’t really see what changed. Yes the whole RP community might not get on the same Mega servers each time, but being in RP guilds, friends lists, the same server, all increase the chance till it’s almost 100%.

Edit: This isn’t towards you Asacledhae: I’m done saying anything on this topic. I won’t change anyone’s mind because they just don’t care, yes there are problems with the system, but instead of letting them get worked out it’s become a witch hunt to get rid of them.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Well basically MMO is a Massive Multiplayer Online game so it is totally normal to expect to see many people around me.

One where most areas represent hostile wilderness… where it’s totally bizarre to see lots of other people…

Outside of city instances (which were already crowded in my Fort Aspenwood experience) seeing lots of people generally detracts from the plausibility of the world. How scary can the Godslost Swamp really be if there are dozens of professional face-wreckers just hanging out there for 10 minute before big bubba makes his scheduled appearance? If this were an modern urban setting MMO like City of Heroes I’d probably be right there with you, but its not – its feudal/steam-punk fantasy and having 100 people on the Bloodtide Coast map at all times does not improve the ambiance one bit.

I would much rather have had better content scaling than an invisible series of chutes that try to dump the maximum number of people into the minimum number of shards.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Asacledhae.2650

Asacledhae.2650

You can’t RP if there are non RPers in the zone? I just don’t understand this, if someone says something stupid to the people who are RPing, that’s what the block list is for. I don’t RP and I really don’t even understand why someone would, but I’m also not going to say anything to anyone that IS RPing, and I would guess 99.9% of everyone is the same way. I can’t believe the RP community didn’t have people being kittens to them before, so I don’t really see what changed. Yes the whole RP community might not get on the same Mega servers each time, but being in RP guilds, friends lists, the same server, all increase the chance till it’s almost 100%.

Edit: This isn’t towards you Asacledhae: I’m done saying anything on this topic. I won’t change anyone’s mind because they just don’t care, yes there are problems with the system, but instead of letting them get worked out it’s become a witch hunt to get rid of them.

Yes, indeed… Why would someone Role Play in an MMO RPG game? Totally absurd… Blocking doesn’t stop emotes, nor skill spams, so go figure. We have been trolled before megaserver, yes. But the chances of said trolling were minimal. I’m in the game since the beta, and i’ve only been trolled twice. After the megaserver? Almost every time we host an event.

But i have to ask, are you part of any guild? And how large is your friends list? Cause from personal experience, my guild and friends, are never placed on the same instance, unless we team up. And teaming up has a 50% failure to get all people into the same map.

I would kindly ask you to check the forum and see how people like me care. It’s not that we don’t want the megaserver, we just want it to work properly. We suggest stuff, and share our experiences with the community. Sorry if the negative feedback upsets you, but not everyone loves zerg. By “letting” the problems get worked out, you’ll simply cause them to stay as is, as A-net will think that the “fuss” has worn out, and move on with their business.

The reasons we love the new downgra…..er….feature patch :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqJlKjwrKB4