Megaservers are actually kind of awesome?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Well basically MMO is a Massive Multiplayer Online game so it is totally normal to expect to see many people around me.

One where most areas represent hostile wilderness… where it’s totally bizarre to see lots of other people…

Outside of city instances (which were already crowded in my Fort Aspenwood experience) seeing lots of people generally detracts from the plausibility of the world. How scary can the Godslost Swamp really be if there are dozens of professional face-wreckers just hanging out there for 10 minute before big bubba makes his scheduled appearance? If this were an modern urban setting MMO like City of Heroes I’d probably be right there with you, but its not – its feudal/steam-punk fantasy and having 100 people on the Bloodtide Coast map at all times does not improve the ambiance one bit.

I would much rather have had better content scaling than an invisible series of chutes that try to dump the maximum number of people into the minimum number of shards.

I disagree with your idea of what the game is supposed to be. There is supposed to be a bunch of adventurers breaking out into the world everywhere you go. Do you really think whole villages are supposed to really be decimated by the 5 undead that attack when its scaling down to one person? Its supposed to be hordes of undead, and you and 4-5 others helping out is actually more inline than you soloing it. And usually in megaserver, people tend to be spread out around that much.

When i broke into font of rand with like 6 or 7 people, that made a lot of sense actually.

Now im not saying megaservers have no problems, but claiming that the world is supposed to be empty, nah I really dont think so. Its not like, aside from World events you tend to see more than 3-10 people doing anything at once, which is probably how its supposed to be.
World Events on the other hand? total fail now.

phys.7689

You can’t RP if there are non RPers in the zone? I just don’t understand this, if someone says something stupid to the people who are RPing, that’s what the block list is for. I don’t RP and I really don’t even understand why someone would, but I’m also not going to say anything to anyone that IS RPing, and I would guess 99.9% of everyone is the same way. I can’t believe the RP community didn’t have people being kittens to them before, so I don’t really see what changed. Yes the whole RP community might not get on the same Mega servers each time, but being in RP guilds, friends lists, the same server, all increase the chance till it’s almost 100%.

Edit: This isn’t towards you Asacledhae: I’m done saying anything on this topic. I won’t change anyone’s mind because they just don’t care, yes there are problems with the system, but instead of letting them get worked out it’s become a witch hunt to get rid of them.

Yes, indeed… Why would someone Role Play in an MMO RPG game? Totally absurd… Blocking doesn’t stop emotes, nor skill spams, so go figure. We have been trolled before megaserver, yes. But the chances of said trolling were minimal. I’m in the game since the beta, and i’ve only been trolled twice. After the megaserver? Almost every time we host an event.

But i have to ask, are you part of any guild? And how large is your friends list? Cause from personal experience, my guild and friends, are never placed on the same instance, unless we team up. And teaming up has a 50% failure to get all people into the same map.

I would kindly ask you to check the forum and see how people like me care. It’s not that we don’t want the megaserver, we just want it to work properly. We suggest stuff, and share our experiences with the community. Sorry if the negative feedback upsets you, but not everyone loves zerg. By “letting” the problems get worked out, you’ll simply cause them to stay as is, as A-net will think that the “fuss” has worn out, and move on with their business.

Yeah, thats one thing i agree with, anet doesnt seem to prioritize refining or fixing things. Since fractal update they have had fairly simple bugs they havent even taken a look at. like getting uninfused rings after 30 which they said is not supposed to happen. Apparently broken drop rates, etc.

Chances are whatever they put in place with this update will stay in place for like 3-6 months, probably until the point that people have figured out ways to deal with it/get around the problems, and then they will hit with some huge sweeping change that is supposed to solve the issue, but will create new ones, and they will then leave those issues in place for 3-6 months.

Posted by: Rapier.3675

Rapier.3675

its only good for lvling (tho in EotM is way faster) and doing events. BUT what when u get to lvl80? karma is not an issue. u need to start making gold and collecting mats for crafts. what then? where will you go when u’ll need specific mats? any 80lvl map is crowded with players. most of them not knowing why are they farming for. What will you do when u’ll have to do specific events, lets say for traits, since its made in matter of min’s it started and u can’t afford to camp it? what then? any answers?
if i wanna do some world boss “temples” I need to stay and camp there, can be hours (scrue that!) till event starts. ofc finaly events starts everything become lag fest.

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

Anybody else secretly digging the megaserver? It’s actually pretty awesome in some ways.

Yes!

I’ve got a guild and a fairly extensive friends list, but I really enjoy meeting new people, and there are so many more people around now. I love how you are able to spontaneously team up with the people around to do events, including events I have actually not seen before even though I have explored the world on several characters.

Ever since the patch hit, I have pretty much retired my lvl 80/100% exploration characters in favour of a few leveling ones that had barely made it out of the 20s, and am having as much, if not more fun all over the place than I’ve had in a long time.

What makes an MMO a great kind of game to me is the community. But this community is made up of all people, not just those restricted to a certain guild or server. The landscape, the events, all this “belongs” to all players of this game.

You can rage that other players are trespassing on your “right” to do a certain event/whatever the way you want to have it, or you can empbrace the idea of a living world, where other players have an effect on the way the content can be played by you. I choose the second alternative, much prefering a non-optimal event with nice people that don’t play the way I expect them to, instead of streamlined, predictable farming of the same mega events day in, day out.

Since the megaserver, the maps, especially in the 30s/40s/50s, feel so much more alive again. You can actually meet new people (and every new person is a possible new friend, until they prove otherwise) all over the place, whether it’s in Rata Sum at the bank or in south-eastern fields of ruin saving some animals from the ogres.

I know that change and unpredictability is not everybody’s kind of thing, but I love how much more interesting playing this game has become thanks to the megaservers. If I want to play rpgs where the quests are scripted and only depend on my input, there is tons of that around both online and offline. I love the fact that megaserver has increased the impact other players have on my gameplay, providing enjoyable social interactions and unexpected turns of events in a way that hardly ever came up before.

phys.7689

Anybody else secretly digging the megaserver? It’s actually pretty awesome in some ways.

Yes!

I’ve got a guild and a fairly extensive friends list, but I really enjoy meeting new people, and there are so many more people around now. I love how you are able to spontaneously team up with the people around to do events, including events I have actually not seen before even though I have explored the world on several characters.

Ever since the patch hit, I have pretty much retired my lvl 80/100% exploration characters in favour of a few leveling ones that had barely made it out of the 20s, and am having as much, if not more fun all over the place than I’ve had in a long time.

What makes an MMO a great kind of game to me is the community. But this community is made up of all people, not just those restricted to a certain guild or server. The landscape, the events, all this “belongs” to all players of this game.

You can rage that other players are trespassing on your “right” to do a certain event/whatever the way you want to have it, or you can empbrace the idea of a living world, where other players have an effect on the way the content can be played by you. I choose the second alternative, much prefering a non-optimal event with nice people that don’t play the way I expect them to, instead of streamlined, predictable farming of the same mega events day in, day out.

Since the megaserver, the maps, especially in the 30s/40s/50s, feel so much more alive again. You can actually meet new people (and every new person is a possible new friend, until they prove otherwise) all over the place, whether it’s in Rata Sum at the bank or in south-eastern fields of ruin saving some animals from the ogres.

I know that change and unpredictability is not everybody’s kind of thing, but I love how much more interesting playing this game has become thanks to the megaservers. If I want to play rpgs where the quests are scripted and only depend on my input, there is tons of that around both online and offline. I love the fact that megaserver has increased the impact other players have on my gameplay, providing enjoyable social interactions and unexpected turns of events in a way that hardly ever came up before.

i kind of agree with you, but the world boss schedule goes against what you are talking about, its on a schedule, the people are not the people who were exploring the zone usually.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Many of which might be rectifiable with some tweaks and modifications in those respects. Cons outweighing the pros doesn’t necessarily write off a feature, where an MMO is concerned. It just means there’s some room for improvement.

You are right, it doesn’t. The basic idea remains sound even with the cons. The number of them (and importance of some – EU Tower of Babel is big, guild mission problems are big) however suggests, that it’s not the case of “room for improvement”, but more of “doing things when they are ready”. Megaserver is not ready for implementaton.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: TobyTucker.5317

TobyTucker.5317

In some cases, lots of people is a good thing, in others, not so much.

I used to enjoy doing the FE when only a small group of people would show up. You had to keep dodging around, trying to stay alive, judging when it was safe to rez people while continuing to get hits in. Now, with the huge crowd that shows up, it goes down so fast you barely need to move before it’s dead. If all you’re looking for is the loot, no problem, just stand there hitting #1. It’s not much of a challenge any more.

As far as a challenge goes, it can also be one to get in enough hits, as too many people can prevent you from collecting any loot at all. In the last Modniir Ulgoth event I did, with so many people there I only got a drop from one of the three champion war beasts and seeing as Modniir himself has so little health left where he appears I wasn’t able to get in enough hits to get any credit or loot for killing him. It doesn’t help that you can’t even see where those little tornado things that keep knocking you down are any more because they’re masked by the crowd.

No doubt we’ll see some “tweaks”. When world bosses first got their bonus chests, they went down pretty fast with a moderate amount of people, but apparently that was unacceptable, so they all got HP boosts and added mechanics to make the fights tougher/longer. Now with the megaserver in place, it’s gone back to burning most of them down rather quickly. I’m thinking that won’t last for long.

Posted by: sirflamesword.3896

sirflamesword.3896

Yes!

This, You’ve said what I wanted to say in a much better way(I’ve gotten so fed up with the people against the megaservers that I become way to sarcastic to get my point through).

Pinnacle of Responsibility[Mom]-Yaks Bend
Unstable Shield, Unstable Light

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

Yes!

I like this one

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

Posted by: Phoenixlin.8624

Phoenixlin.8624

People without some technical background can dream about “some tweaks” and “modifications” which will make everything as should be. But it is almost impossible.

First, you need to understand how megaservers are being created now. There is some kind of machine learning algorithm (google it or wikipedia it) behind scene which tries to find your “whom player x likely to play”. Believe me or not but this kind of problem can be a weekly homework in any university’s machine learning class. Because the problem is not the algorithm (it is the easiest part) but the data about players (which is also easy for ANet since they are monitoring us for collecting data).

The hard and almost impossible part is putting you with your party/guild/server/friends to same map. Just think about it only yourself. You are the first person that enter, for instance, Sparkfly. Then your friend enters as the second person. Then his/her friend enters as the third person. And so on.

I know this is the exact system. Actually, until a map reaches its soft cap, everyone can teleport into that map. There is no priority for your party/guild/server/friends which is exactly opposite what ANet said. However, even if they could give priority your social circle, there are HUGE amount of other players with HUGE amount of social circles. If you think about it just for a second, you can understand that it is really a bad problem. Unfortunately, there is no such algorithm/idea/system that can fix this problem if ANet insists on using megaserver system.

In old system, you could meet with your social circle without a problem in your server’s map or you could create your own overflow or you could guest to a lower populated server. However, you HAD CHOICE to do it. Megaserver system took those choices from us and gave us nothing and will continue to give us nothing.

I have to admit that if Guild Wars 2 used megaservers at launch (almost 2 years ago), we could adapt ourselves. However, after 2 years, we made friendships. We construct communities from scratch. We formed guilds and alliances to kill big, bad bosses. Whenever we killed a hard boss, our screams of joy trembled Teamspeak servers.

And now, we have nothing. I open GW2 nowadays, and I am just a random player among huge amount of unknown players. There is no familiar faces for me. I go to Tequatl or Wurm and all I see is random faces again. Even if I try to join my communities’ map, it is also full with more than > 50 random players.

New players may like crowded maps. Altoholics may like crowded maps. But megaservers offer nothing to rest of player base.

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

“I’m just happy that after a year and a half of catering towards the people who like huge guilds, and the players that ONLY like running with their guilds”
Lol they only just gave guilds the “Last Online” function. Something that guilds really need and you would expect to be in at Alpha. Still many guild managing tools miss.. Rights, agenda and more to do for guilds like raids. Guilds got Guild-missions and an arena (just a location.. not more) for GvG that’s all the ‘catering’ there as. Strange definition of catering.

Oow and the zergblob are usually pugs, not organized groups. So no, they should not feel any pain of this.

EVERYONE would like new things with guilds, this includes small, medium, and large guild. And guess what you named the 2 real additions to guilds since the start of the game…and they are catered to large guild, just like I said. In small guilds VERY rarely would the last logged in function matter, and guild missions can only be done weekly with about 10x the effort.

What do you call 50-60 members of the same guild doing events? A zergblob just as much as a pug group.

It’s organized so I would not name it a zergblob. We do have a big guild and we also do guild-missions once a week. That’s how the reward-system for guild-missions is build. Not different for small guilds. Anyway, I was not talking about small or big guilds. I was taking about communities in general that according to you got all the catering. Well guilds getting 2 things of what 1 should have been there since Alpha is hard to consider ’ getting all the catering’.

That’s all I am saying. This update it good for solo gamers (what everybody is one in a while at least) but bad for communities (like guilds but also RP communities). You saying that’s ok because they got all the catering anyway is just untrue seeing how guilds have been neglected (or how you can’t sit on a chair.. something important for RP communities). So the opposite is true. Now another thing comes that hurts those communities and you say it’s fine because they got all the catering before is close to rude.

Posted by: Agnima.3714

Agnima.3714

Liking megaservers and the world boss event changes a lot. World feels more full and with bosses on timers I can hit the majority of them daily which is good for me since I need to gather ecto orbs so I need as many rares as I can get my hands on. No more having to go to major hubs to try and find extra people for the bosses when they come up now you just need to know where to go.

The grouping and guild events are the biggest problem with me. This however could be fixed by adding additional content like a Guild District that players in their guild could warp to from anywhere. Once in the Guild District all the guild events could be triggered from there and then everyone participating could be moved into a living story style map where only your guild is at. Adds the much wanted guild housing and fixes guild mates being separated all over the place when trying to do events.

As far as groups being split up this is probably only really gonna be fixed by working the code a bit to make it so spots are reserved for people in your group even if they aren’t there. Temples kinda need to be fixed a bit since they are defended so often and its impossible now to really tell when you can get in on taking them. Perhaps they need to all be on timers as well and the defense events need to be designed so that when it gets closer to the time to take them they just flat out fail you so people can actually have a time to set for taking the temples instead of hoping nobody defended them.

There are cons but most of them are minor to me in comparison to the pros. Anet just needs to redo how Guild events function first and then work on hammering out how some of the other world events function. These are the 2 biggest ones to me, the rest are mostly personal preference and not all that big really.

(edited by Agnima.3714)

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Why should I have to learn to have some empathy towards the people that have been treated as trash by the zergblob mentality while all maps are invaded by the zergblob now?

You still keep saying “i couldnt do this event without doing x before megaserver, now I can do without doing x. So megaservers are good”. On the other hand I keep saying “I could do this event without any problem before megaservers, now I can’t do this event even with doing x”.

And the sad part, just because you did not want to use guesting or transfer to another populated server, you could not do those events. Basically, you had the chance to do anything you want, but you did not want to use that. Now, I can’t do anything because both guesting/transferring to another server won’t work even if I use them. I have no choice except not doing the events I could do.

That’s the true failing point of megaservers which ANet can’t fix because of the nature of megaserver idea.

I wasn’t going to respond to this, because I feel it didn’t even deserve one, but it’s getting under my skin so here it goes. NOTHING is more impossible to do now then it used to be. You can do EVERYTHING you were able to do before, and now other people are able to do more also.

Lol, try organised guild-missions.

Posted by: The Pointless.3869

The Pointless.3869

Many of which might be rectifiable with some tweaks and modifications in those respects. Cons outweighing the pros doesn’t necessarily write off a feature, where an MMO is concerned. It just means there’s some room for improvement.

You are right, it doesn’t. The basic idea remains sound even with the cons. The number of them (and importance of some – EU Tower of Babel is big, guild mission problems are big) however suggests, that it’s not the case of “room for improvement”, but more of “doing things when they are ready”. Megaserver is not ready for implementaton.

On the other hand, “when it’s ready” isn’t exactly a safe attitude to have in this post-Duke Nukem Forever world. :\

Posted by: Moderator.6840

Moderator.6840

Hi everyone,

Since we are receiving a lot of feedback about this topic, we are gathering it in dedicated threads. You are very welcome to repost your question, comments and concerns in this discussion.

Thank you for your understanding.