Memorials

Memorials

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Just a personal note from me.

While grounded in something sad — the loss of a guild member — there still is much to be happy about in this change, which came out in the Summer/Out of the Shadows update:

Monuments

A new guild upgrade is being introduced called Guild Hall Monument Decorations that will be available from the Guild Market once your guild has obtained the Guild Hall Decorations Merchant 2 upgrade. Upon purchase, Douglas Bird (our resident basic-decorations vendor) and Cullen (our master scribe) will have three new decorations unlock.

• Basic Grave Marker
  • Basic Signpost
  • Basic Commemorative Statue

These three new decorations are monuments—decorations that have a custom player inscription. When placing a monument, you’ll be prompted to enter the inscription, which can be up to 140 characters in length. Once placed, the inscription can be read by interacting with the monument. To change an inscription, the monument must be removed and replaced.

Guilds can only have a total of 50 monuments placed in their guild hall at one time.
Placing and removing monuments requires a new permission: Monument Decorator. Note that the Clear Decorations button, enabled by the Remove All Decorations permission, will also remove monuments.

~~~

Over the years, we have received many notes and letters about fallen guild members, and they have touched us deeply. I think it is so wonderful that guilds now have a chance to remember their fallen, and to do so in such a meaningful way.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Memorials

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

May we never forget our fellow gamers and good friends we’ve lost.

Thank you Anet.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Memorials

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Yeah we saw this yesterday – it’s a nice touch and quite unique as well. I haven’t played another MMO which does this directly in game. With the other decorations available, I’m sure players will make some exceptional monuments or memorials.

This is one upgrade I hope to never use for its intended purpose mind you!

Memorials

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Really sweet article over on MassivelyOP about this. Thanks, Bree!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Memorials

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Statistically over 30000 people who played GW2 at one point have died already, so this is cool to have

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Memorials

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Statistically over 30000 people who played GW2 at one point have died already, so this is cool to have

Oh dear heavens, Mal — that’s just a sad thought! I’m going to go with a positive thought and believe in my heart we’ve “under-achieved” on that statistic many times over.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Memorials

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I saw the notes about this addition yesterday, and I thought it was so great of Anet to add this option. I’ve seen something like it requested many times by family/friends/guildies of players who passed away, and I really love that Anet has made it a reality.

Memorials

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

On a lighter note:

It’s a great thing Anet has done, and even greater that it has uses beyond the somber.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Memorials

Posted by: Elothar.4382

Elothar.4382

Yes! I’ve experienced, in a couple of guilds, the loss of a comrade — someone that I knew in game but not IRL. It leaves an emptiness that seems hard to deal with in the context of gaming.

My most memorable case was in Brand X MMO. We were halfway through a raid when a familiar character popped on. We all said hi, made pleasantries. The player turned out to be the son of our guildmate, logging in to tell us that his father died.

This new feature is most welcome and I while it saddens to think of using it, I think it does provide an outlet for sorrow. Many thanks, Arenanet.

Memorials

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

A very nice touch. Kudos to Anet.

I think it would be a nice continuation of the admirable sentiment to reduce the costs so that members of smaller guilds can commemorate the lives of those they have lost as readily as can larger guilds. Grief over the loss of a guild-mate, and the desire to commemorate his or her passing, can be inversely proportional to the size of a guild.

Memorials

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

When guild halls first came out, we used one of the commemorative statues as an informal memorial for a guildee we lost back in 2013 to epilepsy. This morning, I was able to add his name and information in front of that statue.

Thank you for giving us a way to do this.

Memorials

Posted by: Laurie.1698

Laurie.1698

I thought this was a wonderful addition. While not a gamer, two weeks before the initial start of GW2, my mother, knowing I loved GW1, bought the game for me and gave it to me, out of the blue, not for a specific reason. I played early release, showed her, tried to show her how to play. She laughed and tried to play, I laughed and tried to show her how, she was 63. A few short weeks later, I was playing when I got the knock on the door in the early evening..“your mother has been involved in an accident with a drunk driver…she did not survive.” by two policemen and a clergy. I lived with my mother, we shared an apartment. One of the only things that got me through those dark, ugly days was to be able to log onto the game she had gotten for me, GW2, and disappear into another world for a time…and remember who gave me the world to disappear into in order to deal with a devastating blow that no one knew would ever be. One day, I hope to find a guild that I can be in that I can place one of these memorials for her. Though not a gamer, she knew her daughter was…and so gave me this world to play in, turn my jagged grief into a brief smile at one of the darkest times of my life, and now yet as time passed its getting less jagged. I am still enjoying the world she gave me to escape to today. One day, I would like to place one of these memorials for her. It was an awesome touch to add these memorials as options.

“Do not scorn caring and sympathizing, they are the gifts of a gentle heart!”
J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Memorials

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Dear Laurie,

I am so sorry for your loss, and am very happy that our game gave you respite during a difficult time. Your mother sounds as if she was a lovely person, and I am grateful she brought you into our world.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Memorials

Posted by: Laurie.1698

Laurie.1698

Thanks Gaile. She made a “tree lady” she called her, a sylvari, the only thing she did with her at the time was dance her around the fountain in Lion’s Arch and tried to do the same in the apt…it was so much fun she said, I said "its not all about dancing Mom…she said “oh yes it is”. I should have kept the character but I wasn’t able to do it, she named it after herself. I’ll dance my sylvari around the fountain sometimes even though its now a different city, imagining those times and yes its all about dancing.

“Do not scorn caring and sympathizing, they are the gifts of a gentle heart!”
J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

(edited by Laurie.1698)

Memorials

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Thanks Gaile. She made a “tree lady” she called her, a sylvari, the only thing she did with her at the time was dance her around the fountain in Lion’s Arch and tried to do the same in the apt…it was so much fun she said, I said "its not all about dancing Mom…she said “oh yes it is”. I should have kept the character but I wasn’t able to do it, she named it after herself. I’ll dance my sylvari around the fountain sometimes even though its now a different city, imagining those times and yes its all about dancing.

This post made me smile. I’ll be sure to make my Sylvari dance near the LA fountains, in memory of your mom.

Memorials

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

This post made me smile. I’ll be sure to make my Sylvari dance near the LA fountains, in memory of your mom.

And, there may be a human ranger joining in. I think Laurie’s mother was very wise: Sometimes it is all about dancing.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Memorials

Posted by: Bellatrixa.3546

Bellatrixa.3546

Having not lost a gaming friend yet, I have to admit my first impulse was to get the upgrade to create a grave marker for Taco Bell’s quesalupas to tease a guild member with an obsession. It was worth the 100g for his reaction and my guild loved me for it.
Having read the comments by those affected by player deaths IRL on Reddit, I felt a bit disrespectful in retrospect. But then I think about a send off we had a couple of years ago for a forum admin for a community I was part of for many years. He lost to the struggle of depression – no, not getting upset that you don’t have the latest iPhone, proper clinical depression. He wouldn’t have wanted us to mope, he would have wanted us to laugh and carry on with our lives. So that’s exactly what we did along with us all getting a ‘named’ bottle of Diet Coke and taking a selfie of us with it to honour him. We actually crowdfunded his funeral as he had no insurance and raised over £3k in 24 hours. After reflecting on that, I didn’t feel so bad about using the grave marker as a light-hearted joke. So while there is a serious and deep use to the markers, please remember that you can still use them for something humorous without being disrespectful

“Even if we find a way to save the world from the
dragons, I sometimes wonder if we’ll ever find a way to save us from ourselves.”

(edited by Bellatrixa.3546)

Memorials

Posted by: Emiko.3217

Emiko.3217

This is so awesome!! Thank you for incorporating this ArenaNet!!

Memorials

Posted by: Link Hughes

Previous

Link Hughes

Next

I have rarely felt as good about work I’ve contributed to as I feel right now. Thank you for the positive feedback. <3

Memorials

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I’ve seen suggestions for these things a few times, and am impressed that they were implemented.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Memorials

Posted by: Nash.2681

Nash.2681

Why I love the addition of grave markers itself, I’m deeply disappointed by the way it got implemented.
I was so looking forward to set up some kind of memorial for the co-founder of our little guild (back in GW1) who passed away 6 years ago. My wife and I carried the guild over to GW2 despite most members either didn’t buy GW2 at all or stopped playing shortly after release. There’s always an obituary pinned in our guild news and we’re slowly progressing our guild level (11 at the moment), which was fine until I read the patch notes:
“Guild Hall Monument Decorations will be available from the Guild Market once your guild has obtained the Guild Hall Decorations Merchant 2 upgrade”. That means guild level 22 and a kittenload of materials / gold for the upgrades.
Great, so small guilds are not allowed to raise a stone for their beloved ones that passed away way too early.
I mean, I understand that guild hall upgrades and decorations have some more or less tight restrictions so guilds have a goal they can work towards and adds some kind of progression, but this explicit feature should have been excluded and be available right away if you have claimed a guild hall.

XMG U716 (i7 6700, 16GB DDR4@2133Mhz, GTX980m, Samsung 850Evo 250 GB, Seagate SSHD 500GB)

Leader of “Servants of Balance” [SoB], a small guild endemic to the FSP.

Memorials

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

I can’t tell you how grateful our guild is for this. We lost a dear friend and guild member and being able to honor her this way is deeply appreciated.

Of all of the quarterly additions, ultimately for my guild, this will be our favorite. Thank you ANet.

Memorials

Posted by: Germ.3187

Germ.3187

Do anyone have links to pictures of the actual monuments?

Memorials

Previous

Gaile Gray

I have rarely felt as good about work I’ve contributed to as I feel right now. Thank you for the positive feedback. <3

I actually went hunting for you earlier this week, to thank you personally for this lovely addition to the game.

In all the years I’ve been at ArenaNet (16 in November!) this is one of my favorite new features. It’s small, and yet it touches the heart of so many. As you can imagine in a community the size of ours, and when you consider both Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2, over the years we have received many touching letters about the passing of one of our players. I have long hoped — actually, have hoped since we first launched Guild Wars — for a way for players to memorialize their departed and beloved friends, family members, and guild members.

So thank you from the bottom of my heart for this feature, and thanks, also, to Kevin for programming it! I am very proud of this new game element.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Memorials

Posted by: Tekoneiric.6817

Tekoneiric.6817

I’ve often times wonder if there was a way to memorize players that have passed away. It’s good to know ANet did this. To bad there isn’t a more public place for viewing a statue of the player’s favorite character with a plaque. Sadly I’m sure that would take up a lot of resources eventually. I wish there was a way for players to flag their primary character and make it where it couldn’t be deleted.

What happens to accounts of people who pass away?

Memorials

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

It’s indeed a nice touch and addition and reading this thread made me warmly smile, despite the sad news and subject. It’s great to see a game giving a way for players to pay homage for fallen comrades or beloved ones.

However, I haven’t seen the stuff in game yet then I don’t know how it looks like, but as someone mentioned above it might also be used to other things other than remembering the fallen ones. Why not use it as remembrance of the great moments that guildies had together, like winning things? I think these Monuments fit that category as well

Also, as others mentioned, it bothers me to see it’s “hidden” behind an upgrade wall. Such feature might be available in lower levels at least (maybe 10) instead after a higher upgrade tier. Small guilds will have some more hard time to get this available

Memorials

Posted by: LadyFearghus.3406

LadyFearghus.3406

This is a beautiful feature. I had to get it immediately for our guild. I am curious though… Why is the text field so big? With only 140 characters allowed, having such a wide field is odd. Please, please, please at least center the text to the field. Or allow us to do so. It just looks a bit wonky. I tried giving it it’s own centered look, but this wastes characters on spaces and still looks weird. http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img922/3291/lgR8QV.png

Currently I am only making an RP site for fallen characters. Still a work in progress, but this is an amazing addition to our hall. http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img922/4761/JDpVD7.png

Also, are there plans to add these basic gravestones into the scribe recipes? I’d love to be able to have nicer stones. Or even just a variety.
Our guild has lost a member though, and I’d love to give her her own spot with a much nicer gravestone. Please let us upgrade them

Thank you for this feature!

Memorials

Posted by: Gorani.7205

Gorani.7205

Is my guild the only one that is using the signposts to get information out to guildies (since the guild message is so limited).
e.g. we have a signpost next to the notary, which has the materials listed that are needed the most for upgrades.

Member of The Guildwars Online Guild [GWO]
Still keeps a volume of Kurzick poems ;)

Memorials

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

A really good way to immortalise fellow friends and gamers our own way in a game we love.