Mentor Tag: great idea, now make it better!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: sunnypsyop.3025

sunnypsyop.3025

Ever since the “Mentor” ability came out, I tag up in almost every vanilla area I’m in (especially in lower level zones). I might be one of the few people who uses it for what it’s actually intended as: a tag to let new players know that I’m there and willing to help them. Sometimes I use it as a ghetto Cmdr tag too, but not often.

Anyway, while I think it’s an amazing idea, there is a lot of work that needs to be done to communicate to new players what this tag is supposed to represent.

“What’s that apple over your head?”

It’s a Mentor badge. It means I am here to help new players, answer questions and get you un-stuck. It also gives me some small buffs like swiftness in cities and faster resurrection on allies.

Mentor badge is earned after you hit max level & do enough in the world to be considered an experienced player. When you turn on Mentor tag you’re saying you’re a vet that knows about the game & is willing to teach others.

Most people in GW2 are very friendly and helpful, but when we’re tagged up like I am right now, it means we’re specifically here to help you. Hit us up if you need guidance.

Doesn’t confusion over who and what you are kind of defeat the purpose of being a Mentor?

I think this problem could be easily fixed if, when someone hovers over a Mentor tag on the map or over a player’s head, it gave them a very brief description of what the tag is meant to be. If the Mentor tag was truly meant to direct new players to where they can find friendly, human help, make it a little more intuitive so that we Mentors aren’t just tagging up in vain.

P.S. – every new player I have ever explained the Mentor tag to has said something to the effect of “Whoa, what a great idea, never seen this in any other MMO!” and they always thank me for it… so if that was the reaction that was intended, it’s working!

The wonderful community in this game is one of the many things that set it apart from other games, and I think the Mentor tag embodies everything that is good and right about GW2 and its playerbase. Keep it going, please.

GF Left Me Cos Of Ladderboards [WTF]
:: |SPvP | Rev | Engi | ::

(edited by sunnypsyop.3025)

Posted by: MissSinfully.2478

MissSinfully.2478

Conversely, I find a lot of people are annoyed that the Mentor tag resembles a Commander tag so much. If it was an apple on the map like it is above your head, I think it wouldn’t be as annoying. Has to do with grinding out the gold to afford a Commander tag and being assumed to know what you’re doing-

And considering you get a Mentor tag for only one mastery level, it’s really not hard to get, and that I think is also part of the affront some people find.

MissSinfully
Sonyanna
Dragonhunter

Posted by: zengara.8301

zengara.8301

Conversely, I find a lot of people are annoyed that the Mentor tag resembles a Commander tag so much. If it was an apple on the map like it is above your head, I think it wouldn’t be as annoying. Has to do with grinding out the gold to afford a Commander tag and being assumed to know what you’re doing-

And considering you get a Mentor tag for only one mastery level, it’s really not hard to get, and that I think is also part of the affront some people find.

At first I thought the same, but it seems like in practice it does not matter. The way it was used is gold=tag, I like that it requires game time rather than gold to get tag, but it honestly does not matter when so low, you get it in a few days, if not 1.

Since everyone seemed already to have tag this really did not change anything, people will probably still not tag up if they do not the know event.

sunnypsyop.3025

Yeah, I get their gripe and actually I agree. They spent 300g on something I got for practically free in like two days of gameplay.

That being said, I have been playing GW2 regularly since beta, own 8 max level characters, and am working on World Completion on my 3rd character (slacking because I pretty much only SPvP). I think I qualify as a “veteran” player by pretty much anyone’s standard. Do I think it’s fair or right that someone who just started 2 months ago could grind their way to Pact Commander and gain a Mentor tag to supposedly teach new players? No. But I still think Mentor is a fantastic idea at its core.

I agree, Mentor tag acquisition has its flaws, but I also think that the most glaring flaws will work themselves out. When a bunch of trolls get it and you have 50+ Mentor tags on any given map, ANet is going to have to respond in kind. It’s one of those cases of the trash taking itself out, imo.

I have plenty of other ideas about how to curb the abuse — as you mentioned, making the tag more difficult to acquire for starters. Maybe restricting its Mastery track to players who have played x amount of time (only if you have played x hours maybe?). Changing the map icon would be excellent actually — I agree that currently it too closely resembles a Commander tag and causes additional confusion.

(edited by sunnypsyop.3025)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I agree with the primary idea stated in the OP: there should be an explanation for new players that is displayed by mousing over the Mentor Tag (“new player” probably means anyone with an account with no L80 toons, and/or an age less than a few months, and/or low AP).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Snow.2506

Snow.2506

I can’t justify spending gold on an attention grabbing, “look at elitest me” commander tag, (Or that’s how I see it) even though I could have purchased one many times over. I’m a solo player at heart so I never saw the point. It basically says, "I may not know what I am doing but I had enough money to look like it! " But I did manage to get the mentor tag by default of gaining that one mastery in central Tyria.
And then we made it to the second to last phase of the Dragon Stand meta, where you need to fight the legendary in the blighting tower/trees while a zerg destroys any pods that pop back up and preservers. No one could or would tag up for the boss group. Knowing the fight, I reluctantly did, and have several times since.

Neither of these are particularly auspicious. I made my first chunk of gold by a lucky precursor drop for a legendary I would never use. And I definitely didn’t know what I was doing then as much as I do now. And the mentor tag is just too easy to get.

For the love of the high damage, high mobility, glass cannon. Thief to the bitter end.

Posted by: Oreithyia.3064

Oreithyia.3064

I think the unjustified use of the mentortag is already declining since it’s not that shiny and new anymore.
I’ve seen it a few times in the starter areas and these people actually answered question in the chat and a few times as a “commander-tag for poor” to coordinate group events in silverwastes…both are totally okay ways to use the tag in my opinion.

I think the idea to somehow inform new players that the metor tag is for get answers on questions would be great. like when you hover with the mouse over the tag on the map it gives a short explanation.

(edited by Oreithyia.3064)

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

OP, you have a point but I have never been left unanswered when I asked something in mapchat. So in the end if something like a mentor tag is required “for a helpful friendly person” then it seems as if the rest “of us” aren’t – and that is not true – anyone can ask almost any question on a map without apple and will be answered.
I have no idea what the tag’s purpose is, I don’t mind it as it can be useful, but I don’t really see a special meaning to it. To me it’s a PvE tag, I guess.

Jana.6831

I can’t justify spending gold on an attention grabbing, “look at elitest me” commander tag, (Or that’s how I see it) even though I could have purchased one many times over. I’m a solo player at heart so I never saw the point. It basically says, "I may not know what I am doing but I had enough money to look like it! " But I did manage to get the mentor tag by default of gaining that one mastery in central Tyria.

You’d be surprised how many wvw player have a tag – know what we use it for? To show where enemy mesmer or thieves are hiding, or where enemy siege is placed, so those on trebs have it easier. Not everybody purchases it to brag. Even PvE commanders. but well, PvE players are PvE players.. and commanding is pretty annoying, so don’t blame those who have a tag for not tagging up.

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

You’d be surprised how many wvw player have a tag – know what we use it for? To show where enemy mesmer or thieves are hiding, or where enemy siege is placed, so those on trebs have it easier. Not everybody purchases it to brag. Even PvE commanders. but well, PvE players are PvE players.. and commanding is pretty annoying, so don’t blame those who have a tag for not tagging up.

Yeah was just about to ask… So now those of us who have commander tags are attention grabbing elitists? I bought mine for 100 gold, for use in wvw and occasionally pve.

On topic: Hovering over the tag and seeing the title “Mentor” should be descriptive enough, IMO. I think the mentor tag should have been the final tier of Pact Commander and not the first. I also think if mentors get a special chat title, so should commanders.

And I want to scream at people who use commander and mentor tags to stand at world boss spawns and afk through the pre events (or preparations, in the case of teq). If you label yourself a mentor/commander, you should be leading by example. Half the gw2 players think world bosses magically appear.

(edited by rhapsody.3615)

sunnypsyop.3025

OP, you have a point but I have never been left unanswered when I asked something in mapchat. So in the end if something like a mentor tag is required “for a helpful friendly person” then it seems as if the rest “of us” aren’t – and that is not true – anyone can ask almost any question on a map without apple and will be answered.
I have no idea what the tag’s purpose is, I don’t mind it as it can be useful, but I don’t really see a special meaning to it. To me it’s a PvE tag, I guess.

I guess you skipped the part where I specifically said, “Most people in GW2 are very friendly and helpful, but when we’re tagged up like I am right now, it means we’re specifically here to help you. Hit us up if you need guidance.”

Sorry about the confusion.

Jana.6831

I guess you skipped the part where I specifically said, “Most people in GW2 are very friendly and helpful, but when we’re tagged up like I am right now, it means we’re specifically here to help you. Hit us up if you need guidance.”

Sorry about the confusion.

Could you quote yourself so I don’t miss it again, please?

sunnypsyop.3025

I don’t think it would help in this case.

Posted by: Swift.1930

Swift.1930

The thing that put me off was that it suddenly looked like GW2 had become an Apple store… shudder… Otherwise I think it’s a pretty good idea, so long as mentors are continuing to be willing to assist people while tagged up.

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

Posted by: chronometria.3708

chronometria.3708

I had a mentor once that liked apples.

Tybalt – we shall not forget you.

Jana.6831

It would as you didn’t write it and it’s pretty rude to tell me I skipped something you didn’t write.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

It would as you didn’t write it and it’s pretty rude to tell me I skipped something you didn’t write.

He did write it. Read the entire post and you’ll see it.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: SirDerp.3520

SirDerp.3520

I think mentor tag really is supposed to be a poor man’s commander tag. Every single new map requires coordination. I would never throw 300g at a commander tag, but since I have access to a mentor tag, I have been activating it to try my best at helping organize people. Locking the mentor tag behind a lot of exp would not have worked well with the new content. Also, like comm tags can be, mentor tag would become even more of a prestige symbol in some people’s minds if it was difficult to obtain.

Jana.6831

ok I really should've read that then, I guess - It's not as if it is hidden and I'm stupid to miss it

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

It’s not really a mentor tag. In PVE it just means “zerg here” or “event here” or “there is something interesting happening here”. If you are exploring and happen upon a legend or a champ, turn on a tag, announce it in chat and usually enough folk will turn up to share the fight and the loot. It really doesn’t matter what type of tag.

And I know those with commander tags would like to think that they really do command things but in PVE most events and bosses don’t need a commander as such, they just need enough players in the same place which is achieved with any old tag. So the two tags function exactly the same in PVE, regardless of their respective names.

Posted by: Teniz.5249

Teniz.5249

Just make mentor tag only visable for players in your own group.

So many casuals taging up makes meta events really difficult, cause they have no clue what to do and then ppl which have no clue follow an apple that has no clue either = 100% fail.

Just make it so only your party members can see the Mentor tag and we are all happy.

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

Just make mentor tag only visable for players in your own group.

So many casuals taging up makes meta events really difficult, cause they have no clue what to do and then ppl which have no clue follow an apple that has no clue either = 100% fail.

Just make it so only your party members can see the Mentor tag and we are all happy.

That defeats the entire purpose of the mentor tag.