[Merged] Ascended Armor Impressions

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

ANet go back to the original art that filled your servers.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

The helmets on all three look terrible. The Light mask looked alright on one particular character that wasn’t mine, and thank god none of them chop off charr horns. I previewed them all on my female norn (no musle, not too skinny), but I don’t have a picture to post against the horribly dyed or proportioned characters some people here like to make. I like the armors, they look neat, “Ascended”, just like the weapons (which I thought I didn’t like, until I viewed them on my character).

Even though I’m not a fan of the gimmick Legendaries (I imagine they’ll make counterparts to all), I’m excited for the design of the armor.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

all three ascended armors looks atrocious just wow. whoever is designing armors for gw2 needs to find a new job

A job in something other than game design. Man these are ugly…

Posted by: Sleel.8365

Sleel.8365

Welp, seeing these has made me feel better. Now I know I won’t have to waste time grinding to gather/pay for matts to be able to craft ascended armour. Unless they change the way they look, I see no need to bother.

Posted by: quaniesan.8497

quaniesan.8497

Anet, you guys should take a few minutes looking at other RPG’s fashion designs and learn a few things or two. Look at Terra for example, excellent sense of fashion .
And we have here…this gw2 , supposedly a revolution in mmo, and I never seen armors and weapon design this ugly. Fire the fashion team and get some folks from Korea, gosh.

If ya no longer see me after this post,
it means THEY got me for " neg criticism in clever disguise".
Know that it has been fun and I love ya all.

Posted by: Gathslan.1870

Gathslan.1870

Anet, you guys should take a few minutes looking at other RPG’s fashion designs and learn a few things or two. Look at Terra for example, excellent sense of fashion .
And we have here…this gw2 , supposedly a revolution in mmo, and I never seen armors and weapon design this ugly. Fire the fashion team and get some folks from Korea, gosh.

Tera armor is terrible, but it really seems i am the minority liking this type of armor that they will release with ascended.

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

While in general Tera’s armor show way too much skin and are too sexualized, GW2’s armor barely show any skin and make your female characters way too embarrassed about their behind that they hide it with layers upon layers of clothing.

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

I think the one thing they did get right is that clothies shouldn’t be wearing underwear to battle… at least the light looks like it will be some protection in a good fight. But, the pompom shoulders and gloves need to go…

I wish they would design a good “battlemage” set of armor….. the only decent one has a great top, but the bottoms look like someone mounted hub caps on the hips of all the females.

Level 80 Elementalist

Posted by: Lorelei.7809

Lorelei.7809

The armor sets are a bit busy for my taste. The Light Armor is OK. The Medium Armor is OK. I do not like the heavy armor set. WAY too busy no matter which way you work it for me. The only character I might keep in a set would be my human necromancer (I think I still slightly prefer the HoM set, but that is one of the better human scholar sets I have seen). I don’t think my Norn Ranger, Asuran Thief, or Sylvari Engineer would look good in the medium armor. If I had a human medium armor, I would probably keep them in that set. I would not touch that heavy armor on my Charr and Norn (nor on a human if I had a heavy human). I like showing my Sylvari Mesmer’s skin pattern (or at least having a glowing armor like Twilight Arbor which I can further adorn with a flower backpiece nicely), so the light armor is a no-go on her. Might look OK on my Asura Ele though. Not sure.

Note that I would only use the appearance for human characters. Too many curly-cues/too busy for Norn, too busy for the already-busy Sylvari appearance (and, I prefer leaves on my Sylvari, not cloth), nothing special for Asura, and seems to me would look awkward to bad on Charr.

I would love Countess Anise’s set, Raven Acolyte set, Bear Acolyte, Wolf Acolyte, Snow Leopard Acolyte set… I just might buy those sets if they were sold in the Gem Store. And please, more nature-y sets for Sylvari and/or Norn. If I have to buy myself a stylish leafy set from the Gem Store or a Acolyte set for my Norn, I would be happy to do so.

Can’t there be a nice, simple cloth set that looks elegant on all races? Not too frilly for Norn or awkward on other non-human races? Or, that not being the case, maybe add ascended cultural armor? Which, yes, it is work to make new sets (and there would be more than 6 new sets), but why not reuse NPC sets that are awesome that players cannot currently access?

(edited by Lorelei.7809)

Posted by: Aisina.4963

Aisina.4963

I main Asura Elementalist. When I previewed the armour I had 2 reactions.

1. My heart sank. Disappointment flooded over me. Yet again, we have human armour poorly tailored to fit even the males of my race, let alone us females. I began to doubt that my time spent so far saving up my material list was a giant waste of time.

2. After that. Relief. I wouldn’t have to choose between my T3 and the ascended look. I can happily transmute it without a second thought. Saying that, I’ve been wearing this T3 for a year now, I’ve bought multiple sets simply because it’s the only one that looks decent on light armoured Asuran females. I have a set of priory armour, simply for story. But it would be nice to have a change.

Foolishly got my hopes up. Seems if you don’t play a humanoid character. You’re going to get shafted.

S/F Asuran Elementalist

Posted by: MasterYoda.8563

MasterYoda.8563

GW1 had better looking armors than these, GW2 is such a beautiful game with kitten looking armor in the middle of our screens.

“all three ascended armors looks atrocious just wow. Whoever is designing armors for gw2 needs to find a new job”

I couldn’t agree more with this statement

Game Security Lead “Closing this thread,
your account,and your 384 other accounts”
GG Anet

Posted by: Sithis.3564

Sithis.3564

I rarely post but this really needs attention.

I remember in one of the dev log videos someone said that Ascended Armors will be something to look for.

I DOUBT IT.

To me it seems like they lack texture, meshes or w/e it’s all called. So far the Charr version looks flat and stretched. Not to mention the headgear… n/c.
I really hope this is not the final version.

Attachments:

(edited by Sithis.3564)

Posted by: CaboSoul.1204

CaboSoul.1204

You know for a game that was said by players (don’t know if Anet themselves said this as well) that it would concentrate on cosmetics and endgame would be cosmetics as well I have to be honest and say I’m not seeing it.

Cosmetics means to me armor (and clothing) and not weapons. I’m referring to the fact that when I see players working towards something cosmetic it’s mystic forge weapons and legendary weapons however there is no mystic forge armor you can make nor legendary armor.

And now that they finally release what I consider to be my first endgame content after playing this game for almost 50 weeks (I own it now for a lil over 51 weeks) they release this kitten. Really all that time to design something that a person like me would really love and spend time to make they decide to come with this kitten. Like I said in a previous post here; “I have no hope for legendary armor whatsoever”.

Posted by: carey.3169

carey.3169

Was hopeing for armor of epic grind like the gw1 obsidian armor…..that heavy helm looks like it was inspired from a open tin can, all I can say is transmute the crap, my t2 human armor with radiant gear look heaps better

Posted by: Redscope.6215

Redscope.6215

I’m sorry but regardless of what you say about the armor sets themselves, they’re done well enough to make sense. All, that is, except for the helmets.

Why in the world do you guys insist on making helmets that look like big steaming piles of pixel kitten on your head? … Honestly is it really THAT hard to come up with a good looking helmet?

Scratch that…why the fk can’t you come up with a helmet that MATCHES the rest of the set? … NONE OF THEM MATCH THE SET! …. man…its like you’re asking for players to rage at your face through Ascended items.

(edited by Redscope.6215)

Posted by: Upham.6137

Upham.6137

I don’t know what the rest of the players think, but I feel I could come up with better looking armor skins than these.

And it’s not about belittling the work of the designers, but seriously, I know they can do better than that.

Bläck Dähliä

Posted by: Volmarg.4310

Volmarg.4310

I hoped for at least 2 skins for heavy/light/medium. Some kind of evil black flames heavy armor.

If they don’t intend to change that, there is only one thing i can say.
Ugly armors= ppl buying more gems for transmutations stones = $$$$$$$.
Thank You.
That’s all o/

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

This is probably the most unsightly armour I have ever seen in Guild Wars II, Guild Wars I Assassin ancient armour still beats it for sheer repulsiveness though.

Some times I wonder, Arena Net artists can make some truly awe inspiring things, then every now and then they pull something like this out of their rear end.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Posted by: Night Hawk Ix.7360

Night Hawk Ix.7360

bear in mind these codes were leaked guys, the armor may not even be finished yet or those codes maybe from skins that anet have already dropped and working on better ones. And if that isnt the case I’m sure anet have seen the feedback on the forums and will change the armors anyway now. Just wait it out until the codes are released offically.

Mez You Up
Blackgate

Posted by: Dragonax.6487

Dragonax.6487

That was intentional, and there are few reasons I can think of:

-Boosting up sale for transmutation crystal

-If ascended armors and weapons looked cool as hell, many people would keep the look, and everybody would look similar, which is stupid. And eventually, people would demand for more variety of looks and A net may have to design 5-6 more ascended sets for each armor type.

-Very few people would bother running dungeon anymore (except Cof 1 for quick daily cash ). They have armors with better stats and cool looks to go for now.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

bear in mind these codes were leaked guys, the armor may not even be finished yet or those codes maybe from skins that anet have already dropped and working on better ones. And if that isnt the case I’m sure anet have seen the feedback on the forums and will change the armors anyway now. Just wait it out until the codes are released offically.

Your optimism is charming.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

Your optimism is charming.

More like delusional …

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

Posted by: Minion.9850

Minion.9850

Alright. As a Guild Wars veteran, I understand they’re going for prestigious-looking shiny “Fissure of Woe”-esque armour. Obsidian armour, whatever you wanted to call it. The difference is there were seven sets of Obsidian armour in the game; one per profession. I think that variety is what’s missing in GW2, since there are only three different sets based on light, medium, heavy. It’s a step back.

Wouldn’t it be better if there were 7*3 sets? It would be an advancement to cross-reference race with profession type. If anything, it would make each set stand out. I wouldn’t mind if they re-used and revamped skins from GW, since they looked pretty great. The necromancer had some amazing armours; Vabbi, Cabal and Obsidian were my favourite. Scar pattern too was grim and gnarly.

They fell into the trap of thinking “more expensive armours=need more detail and shiny stuff”, but there’s such as thing as Less Is More. In this case, you’ve thrown in too many chefs and the broth is ruined.

Having said that, I really like the medium shoulders and chestpiece on my Sylvari male thief. Those saying the skirtbit is too long, don’t listen to them. However, the skirt is wtf and doesn’t dye at all. It looks a little outrageous and goes with nothing on a Sylvari.

So, if these are the vision of post-Obsidian armour, then revisit those. I don’t think anyone will be mad if you re-use them at all. Don’t rush it and make more sets that at least mould together well. As it stands, they don’t really.
k thanks.

Sithis.3564

Don’t know if anyone noticed but at least the Heavy version got updated.

Looks much better.

However they still should work/rework the masks/helmets. A crown for a Charr? That’s just funny…

(edited by Sithis.3564)

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

Don’t know if anyone noticed but at least the Heavy version got updated.

Looks much better.

However they still should work/rework the masks/helmets. A crown for a Charr? That’s just funny…

Could you post a screenshot of how it looks from the back on a big norn? I wonder if at least they finished it or is it still clothes behind.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Posted by: Fletch.3572

Fletch.3572

Alright. As a Guild Wars veteran, I understand they’re going for prestigious-looking shiny “Fissure of Woe”-esque armour. Obsidian armour, whatever you wanted to call it. The difference is there were seven sets of Obsidian armour in the game; one per profession. I think that variety is what’s missing in GW2, since there are only three different sets based on light, medium, heavy. It’s a step back.

This is true, and and am with you on this, there’s also one other thing to remember, humans. They only had to make that armor for that one model/skeletal set. We only get 3 in this iteration, I’m going to assume, is because of the amount of races available.

Sithis.3564

Heavy [&AgE4uwAA][&AgE5uwAA][&AgE6uwAA][&AgE7uwAA][&AgE8uwAA][&AgE9uwAA]

Medium [&AgFEuwAA][&AgFFuwAA][&AgFGuwAA][&AgFHuwAA][&AgFIuwAA][&AgFJuwAA]

Light [&AgE+uwAA][&AgE/uwAA][&AgFAuwAA][&AgFBuwAA][&AgFCuwAA][&AgFDuwAA]

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

I can’t be at the game now. If it truly has gotten better, could someone post pics, please?

About the armors, I feel that they can look decent when coupled with the right dyes (aka, flame and frost extremely expensive dyes). Even though I dislike them, I want to say that the sense of detail in them is better than what is generally found in this game. Many of GW2’s “elite” armor sets are just model recycling of bland newb armor sets, except with added unnecessary detail, making characters look like decorated christmas trees.

In that sense, I feel that the decorative detail in those ascended armors is prettier than most other unnecessary details in current existing sets. So that’s an improvement. But they are still crappy. Why?

First, they feel very inconsistent, with plenty of body parts that don’t seem to mesh well the whole thing. Maybe that heavy head armor set would look awesome in a more mystical, alien-ish set? Maybe. But it’s horrible here.

Second problem, is that those sets don’t try to appeal to a specific attractive style. They are either messy, or literally clown sets. I mean, I don’t mind an elite, nice-looking clown-inspired set. But it seems that Anet’s artists are ignoring the importance of “cool”, “epic”, “elegance” (except for most female armor), “intimidating”, “majestic”, anything. Clown sets, priestess sets, circus sets, all full with unnecessary details, and that’s 90% of the male light armor selection choice.

There are some awesome armor sets in this game, though, mostly for male heavy armor and female light armor. Why? Because Anet’s artists have successfully made some male heavy armor majestic, or intimidating, or “cool”, or “epic-looking”, with only the details they need to be so, and no more. There’s also some extremely impressive female light armor, very elegant, very majestic, or just plain pretty. But then we look at male’s armor, and here we have it again, another male-dress that looks like from the circus or stolen from the local priestess, or another recycle of a mediocre newb mesmery armor model with a generic mask and bland clothing with – again – unnecessary details.

These ascended armors, with the right dyes, are not the worst thing ever. There are some set pieces there where the details favor them instead of working against them. There’s some ornaments in those setpieces that do look very baroque but nice to watch. That’s fine. But when looking at the whole thing, it is a detailed mess.

So yeah, I want to say:
1. Less is More, although there are certainly exceptions;
2. Better armor should be better at expressing feelings or sensations, instead of simply being recycled boring models with more straps and accessories in it.

EDIT: About the male light armor set, I think the body piece is average. The details do look cool, the idea of clown-details do not. And I like the boots, and I love that ornamented cloth above the clown legs. However, i dislike the clown legs, and would wish for something else. In fact, I fear that in order to get that awesome looking cloth, I’ll have to force myself to use those clown pants. They are glued in the same model, aren’t they? Worse than it, however, is the extremely boring hands set. That’s ascended level? It could very well pass as lv1 newb armor. And finally, the mask… Well, I don’t know why, but the masks in GW1 are much more impressive than the ones in GW2. I’m not sure if it’s the artists, or the graphic’s engine, but all GW2’s masks look bizarre pieces of paper.

(edited by DiogoSilva.7089)

Posted by: Rentlle.1370

Rentlle.1370

I Really like the Medium armor on humans!! It has a Canthan feel over it; missed that so much!
I think the heavy and the light have the right to be ingame…but…
not what you are looking for in a “endgame armor” i think.
If you have to pay a lot for it, and it has the best stats, let it look like one of the best!!
(get some inspiration with the cultural armors T3; Anet did such a good job there!!!)

Posted by: Stress.2436

Stress.2436

The ugly armors is coming

Posted by: WingLegacy.7159

WingLegacy.7159

Oh boy…. here we go….

Posted by: Reesha.7901

Reesha.7901

who designed those ? what happened to anets artists ?
i hope those models are not final, there are lvl 20-ish armor sets that look better.

They realized ugly armor was a good way to lure people into buying more skins from the gem store.

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

i hope those models are not final, there are lvl 20-ish armor sets that look better.

They realized ugly armor was a good way to lure people into buying more skins from the gem store.

Kinda sounds about right, though the ones in the gem store aren’t necessarily better looking (medium/heavy flamekissed, off the top of my head. Possibly light version too, now that they’re going to change it ><).

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Reesha.7901

Reesha.7901

Kinda sounds about right, though the ones in the gem store aren’t necessarily better looking (medium/heavy flamekissed, off the top of my head. Possibly light version too, now that they’re going to change it ><).

Then they can sell transmutation crystals. Profit.

Posted by: redux.1502

redux.1502

I will not be going for these armor pieces just because they have such bad skins. The light one looks like cotton candy, a jester uniform, and a random, too-large mask thrown in. I absolutely despise every part of the light armor. I honestly have not really been disappointed in Anet’s skins until this point. Hope these are changed before the 10th but I doubt it.

Posted by: Facepunch.5710

Facepunch.5710

IMO, it’s a little unfair to say that ANet made ugly skins on purpose to direct people toward gemstore skins and/or transmutation crystal purchases. Honestly, I don’t love the looks the the skins, but they do look high quality, like a lot of attention to detail was given to the models and textures.

I’m personally undecided about crafting a set because a) I can’t decide which of my toons would get it because I don’t really have a clear ‘main’ and b) the skin by itself is doing pretty much nothing to help motivate me.

Please take your tinfoil hats off and be reasonable. ~ReginaB
This forum is a wretched hive of scum and villainy. ~DevilLordLaser

Posted by: Vyrance.1723

Vyrance.1723

Please, PLEASE stop making asymmetrical pauldrons for heavy armor. I can’t stand that. What do you guys have against a symmetrical look? Every new armor released always has to have a different shoulder look on each side. Why?

Vyrance – 80 Guardian
GAF – Gaming Age Force // Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: Skugga.5298

Skugga.5298

I see a...... Carrot on a stick o.O

Attachments:

Posted by: Neishi.5309

Neishi.5309

I’ve checked the sets using the chat codes from gw2db, and it’s kind of disappointing to see that all the armors of a type, though “crafted in the style of so-so”, are all the exact same. How can a set crafted in the style of a sylvari be the same as a set crafted in the style of a norn? Or charr? Don’t get me wrong, I adore the light armor on my sylvari (with the exception of that mask), but it’s still sad.

Posted by: Asukai.4507

Asukai.4507

The light set might be good for the mesmer but not for a necromancer and the female heavy one looks like a step back from the Phalanx skin overall they are ugly

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

I see a…… Carrot on a stick o.O

Gives you more stats when you eat it! So it has vitamins and kitten in it.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

Ugliest skins in the game IMHO. I can’t believe they could even seriously release them like that.

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

They’re alright with some decent dyes, though the helms really are terrible.

Attachments:

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

Yeah they’re all pretty fugly. I think it’s to sell more transmutation crystals. Let’s be honest here, there are SO many better armors than the ones being implemented – take these armors for example:

Now who wouldn’t want these? I rest my case.

Attachments:

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

(edited by Zaoda.1653)

Posted by: CaboSoul.1204

CaboSoul.1204

Why Anet, WHY? People complain this looks ugly, you guys do nothing. People complain about T3 armor, you guys do something. Is it because you guys are lazy and that’s why you guys took away the T3 armor cuz all you have to do is grab a old skin and put some non-dyeable flames on it while the ascended armor you would have to change more and if not everything. Or is it because you want people to buy transmutation stones from your precious gemstore.

I’m pretty fed up with how you guys ruin cosmectic stuff in this game and always the lack of effort and gemstore seem to play a role in it.

Posted by: GenghisKhan.7842

GenghisKhan.7842

Hello community ! Hello Arenanet !
I play GW2 since 14 months now, I have five lvl80 characters, I play it almost every day and I have not played any other game since I installed it on my PC. This is how much I like this game !

This is my first post on the forums. I was going to post this without having seen the look of Ascended Armors – which, by the way, I find quite horrible.

I am quite disappointed by the release of Ascended Armors.

Why: I have finished my Ascended Greatsword for my warrior just one week ago, after spending much time in leveling Weaponsmith to 500 and then collecting the missing materials needed to actually forge the weapon. Now my bank is depleted of all materials, and even thinking about repeating above process on Huntsman, for a Longbow, sickened me.

And what happens now ? Arenanet releases Ascended Armor, which will require more TONS of materials to make.

Well, if this is not gear grind, I don’t know how I should call it.

What I find really frustrating is that we players do not have any alternate way to obtain these armors.
Would have developers added the possibility to get them via Badges of Honor, Dungeon tokens, laurels, Guild commendations or whatever else, it would not have been a big problem, I would have got in time, I am not in a hurry.

But no, at this time all we have to do is farm, farm, farm, farm.
No, thank you.

TL;DR Ascended Armors update has come too close to Ascended Weapons update.
Without any alternate way to get them by playing normally, the game is going the farm-fest way.

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

Suffice to say, I didn’t like how my ascended armor set looked like when I crafted it. So I tried transmuting my exotic armor flamekissed light skinned one to it but it wouldn’t allow me. I have posted a bug report regarding it. It also prevented me from transferring my runes and required me to buy expensive transmutation splitters.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Transmuting-Exotic-to-Ascended-Armor/first#post3359347

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

If it was an awesome skin people would still complain. They aren’t super flashy, but they are fairly detailed.

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

has anyone tried transmuting T3 armor to ascended yet? coz if it doesn’t work with my exotic set, i would think it wouldn’t work for rare too.. that sucks coz that means we’d have to use splitters or salvage armor to get runes and transfer it to ascended.

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

Posted by: MrDmajor.7084

MrDmajor.7084

Fairly detailed kitten.

ArenaNet does NOT play Guild Wars 2. This can’t be.