[Merged] Twitch stream presentation feedback

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Thor.2516

Thor.2516

Is it just me being old … or was this twitch stream extremely immature / unprofessional? The sat morning TV shows my 3 yr old watches are more serious.

Not talking content here but what’s up with all the giggling and poor presentation skills?

Tbh this was the first one I watched and it was a big turn-off and really makes me questions anet’s professionalism as a company. Is it always like that?

My recommendation, please get some more senior / serious ppl out.

Posted by: Uvatha.5476

Uvatha.5476

I’ve felt that these presentations would be better served with a representative, actor, or at least a more professional member of the team. When I’m trying to pay attention and absorb the information the dev hijinks can be totally distracting and I have to rewind often. In addition there is a lot of mumbling, speaking too low, or speaking to each other as opposed to a mic making some of the things they say totally indecipherable. I had to rewatch several times to understand they were saying “vampiric master”. Diction and enunciation are important. They have a director but apparently the only direction they’re getting is not to slouch. Pro tip.

I don’t feel that these guys do us justice as a delivery system for new and important information. Some of their jacking around does make a very long video less boring and can make it easier to digest in one sitting, but I’m not watching for yuks; I want transparent information directly from the source and delivered in a professional and concise manner. These guys seem like they’re trying to make these presentations as if you’re just hanging out with your pals.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I’m probably older than you, and I do appreciate professionalism. However, I didn’t mind them talking like it’s fun to work on the game. If one’s only in it for serious grown up stuff, why work on entertainment? Plus if they came on all corporate grownup speak, there’d be complaints that they’re only doing it for the money, they’re too slick, etc.

These are real people working on something they really enjoy, and informality in that context warms my heart far more than polished corporate presentations.

Posted by: HykCraft.4610

HykCraft.4610

They did look like a bunch of kids fooling around because a camera was on them. Go figure.

Sorrow’s Furnace US

Posted by: Theundersigned.4761

Theundersigned.4761

Well, I disagree that the personal nature of the stream was a bad thing. However, I think this comes down to personal preference, and how you view professionalism vs. “personalism”.

I think Donari’s opinion pretty much jives with my own. Personally, I’d rather there not be the “stiff-necked” businessman air if only because it would most likely eliminate that bothersome staple businesses often carry.

Could ArenaNet have found a happier middle ground? Perhaps. But I don’t think they ever really went off the deep end (like the Saturday morning cartoons you mention). In fact, I admire their attitude. If it weren’t for people like you, I would say that they should not find any middle ground at all.

The informality of it made me feel as if I were actually listening to the developers’ discussion instead of a business advertisement.

(edited by Theundersigned.4761)

Posted by: Psynch.4087

Psynch.4087

I thought of it simply as a matter of inexperience with this type of public speaking. There was a lot of good information mired by moments of distractions.

In a way, they perfectly captured what they are — amateur streamers. The ability to develop a game doesn’t necessarily translate to being a high-quality streamer/caster. This happens all the time for people who start group podcasts. They are constantly going off topic and telling inside jokes.

Ultimately, no matter what the show is about, people are usually not as funny or charming as they think they are (at least, from the perspective of the audience). Just stick to the script and don’t improvise funny moments. The other recap streams with more senior folk were really solid; they may want to follow that formula a bit more.

And honestly, they could have done the same work with just two people.

(edited by Psynch.4087)

Posted by: Ghanto.9784

Ghanto.9784

I don’t mind them joking around around a little and having fun, and sometimes I laugh watching them, but I will admit that I think they went a little overboard this time around. It got a bit distracting, and I found myself at times idly wondering how long the presentation would be if they cut out all the extraneous bits…

Posted by: Sauncho.8076

Sauncho.8076

I agree with the OP, not very professional at all. I think someone just needs to lead the discussion better and keep people on topic, like Grouch maybe. When I see the unprofessionalism it makes me understand why things take so long to patch/update/balance.

Maybe use a power point with some bullet points to place on the top right of the screen to make the discussion easier to follow (while still keeping a camera on the devs). This would also help with preparation – Public Speaking 101

“Pimpin aint ez”

Posted by: Judge Banks.9018

Judge Banks.9018

I honestly thought that there was some sort of gas leak that was causing them to act so giggly. On the flip side, where in the constitution does it say that they have to act professional on a twitch live stream?

Posted by: Thor.2516

Thor.2516

I preferred previous vids from Mike o’brien and the content directors. obviously these were not live. Also have a look what Chris Roberts is doing at Star Citizen. He is not a pro actor or anything. but he is a passionate developer and decent communicator. anyhow, my personal preference …

Posted by: Sytherek.7689

Sytherek.7689

I’m concerned by the poor communication and behavior of the development team. They were quite inarticulate and disorganized. I don’t expect monks or drones; I do expect people to speak in complete sentences with coherent thoughts when representing a company.

On the other hand, the audience chat was atrociously childish.

What I did glean from the presentation was not all bad, however. The rune/sigil fix pass is desperately needed, for example.

The change to crit makes sense, bringing it in line with other character attributes.

I’m not so sure about the class changes; at least they acknowledged skill activation problems for the ranger and her pets. I’m looking forward to their “big” changes.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

I honestly thought that there was some sort of gas leak that was causing them to act so giggly. On the flip side, where in the constitution does it say that they have to act professional on a twitch live stream?

nowhere. But if you’re turning off your viewers, that’s not good.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Umm so which presentation was this? You really should post a link or something when you are referring to something like this. :P

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

There’s no need to flat out insult them either, by the way it goes against the forum code of conduct.

Donari.5237

The Twitch livestream referenced in several other threads close by.

Yes, before anyone complains about how the devs spoke, they’d better not be one of the ones making hateful physical assessments of the men in the stream. And hateful mental ones as well. I don’t know how the one guy who had to read the chat and post comments in it managed to type constructively. You want professional, I’ll say that was super professional because he said useful things as if the vomiting bile text wasn’t even there.

Paulytnz.7619

The Twitch livestream referenced in several other threads close by.

Yes, before anyone complains about how the devs spoke, they’d better not be one of the ones making hateful physical assessments of the men in the stream. And hateful mental ones as well. I don’t know how the one guy who had to read the chat and post comments in it managed to type constructively. You want professional, I’ll say that was super professional because he said useful things as if the vomiting bile text wasn’t even there.

Cheers now I guess I have to use google, no idea why they don’t post a link on this website or the main one scratches head. Not all of us keep an eye on Facebook, reddit, and whatever other sites are hip these days lol….

Donari.5237

Take a look at Dulfy, she summarizes the livestreams. Also you can google for GW2 livestream and select the Twitch link you get, that’s how I found it today before the stream began. I’m pretty sure they archive the streams so you can view them later by clicking on the Video button at upper right. I don’t save the link or I’d put it here for you.

Side note: That video button is very nice at hiding the chat window when the inanity and vituperation gets too distracting.

Posted by: Sligh.2789

Sligh.2789

I have noted in the forums MANY times the perceived lack of professionalism shown by employees in public forums, and how poorly it reflects on the brand. When I tuned in to the stream, I was in shock at the demeanor and appalling presentation they put forth. I had to turn it off because I could not fathom what would have happened had an Anet “person in charge” actually gotten wind of what was being broadcast.
Disturbing, to say the least. I can’t believe they haven’t issued an apology.

FlamingFoxx.1305

Ok I have to admit after flicking through that livestream it was rather atrocious.
They all seemed drunk O_o.

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

My guild and I were talking about this while it was going on. Idk maybe we are getting too old or something.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Posted by: ZilentNight.5089

ZilentNight.5089

So I was not the only one who had the same feeling as OP, while I am younger than the average gamer I was quite distracted while watching the stream.

Also just to be clear, I mean no disrespect but some of the nerfs/skill balance seemed to have been carried out after personal experiences at least that is what I captured while carefully listening to the entire feed. Some justification was provided near the end but just laughter and giggling did cause me to wonder if these changes carried out was really in the best interest of the game or oneself.

FlamingFoxx.1305

I would simply chalk it up to Anet putting people who aren’t used to being in front of the camera in front of the camera.

Looking back at previous video’s we’ve gotten from Arenanet I would hazard a guess that a fair few of the employees have had media training, and even if not there is obviously a lot of planning that goes into most of their streams.

The recent lore stream is a really good example, yes things could be slightly stilted or awkward at points, but all three of the Anet employees who participated did so in a professional manner and you have to admire them for that.

This stream just felt odd from the get go. At first I thought they were just trying to be light spirited about it, but it just felt very unplanned (which is odd considering the detailed graphic thingy).

Of course I didn’t watch the whole thing, so I’m just going off the few bits that I did watch, but it was pretty hard to sit through.

FlamingFoxx.1305

I’m younger than all of the staff in the livestream, and it looked unprofessional to me. So it’s not an age thing thanks >.>

Normally the staff who appear in Anet’s videos and livestreams are very professional so I would say this comes down specifically to those who were involved in todays stream.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

It felt like they were struggling to set up a joke without ruining the hilarious punchline than talking about significant changes to their source of livelihood.

It all kind of smacked of last minute “lets grab whomever isn’t the most busy” hastiness rather than planned out.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Paulytnz.7619

I have seen it now and don’t think it was too bad. But hey at least you guys are moaning about the way they were acting and not the content coming into the game, that must be a good sign surely!

Posted by: Talentless.5708

Talentless.5708

It isnt a one or the other situation. Poor presentation of even well-thought out ideas is very disappointing. Hateful and ridiculous community chat comments are even more disappointing.

The situation was one more fitting of an uploaded youtube video rather than an actual company profiting off consumers.

Talentless Necro – Talentless Engineer
Jade Quarry – Strike Force | Wilsonian Institute
new video pending: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDVc34_SFKM&feature=youtu.be

Posted by: rogerwilko.6895

rogerwilko.6895

it was a joke.

Message Body length must at least be 15.

Paulytnz.7619

It isnt a one or the other situation. Poor presentation of even well-thought out ideas is very disappointing. Hateful and ridiculous community chat comments are even more disappointing.

The situation was one more fitting of an uploaded youtube video rather than an actual company profiting off consumers.

TBH I think “some” people need to relax a bit, maybe they will live longer too.

Posted by: Mindx.9610

Mindx.9610

They were having fun with it, you can tell that alot of detail enters their mind and carefully pick and choose what they want to say in a way that wont reveal to much.

You’re all just stuck up

[Apex] – Zero Entity 80 Necromancer
Blackgate Apexprime.enjin.com

FlamingFoxx.1305

There is a difference between having fun and acting like drunken 5 year olds.

Posted by: angelpaladin.7921

angelpaladin.7921

I thought the developers at today’s live stream could have been more professional. I am glad they enjoy what they do but at the same time. There representing a company that people pay money to. A bit more professionalism would go a long way in the future.

They need a example of how to have fun while staying professional take a look a blizzcon live forum panels. The developers have fun while giving off a attitude of professionalism.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Agreed. When I went to watch the stream, I thought I was going to see serious people who are determined in what they’re doing. Like, if it’s a developer’s stream, they’ll be talking like people who have mastered software development to people who are deeply interested in how things work. I’m being harsh now, but at that moment an idea “that explains a lot” hit my head. Which was weird, because I always liked how clean and neatly the news on releases were put (except for the always “incredible!!!” slogans standing next to trivial things), and I even always liked the Living Story stuff which is the thing widely disliked.

The reality put me off. It was too personal. It felt like a stereotypic shut-in gamer to a stereotypic shut-in gamer talk, not a pro developer to a thoughtful gamer. Probably the advanced technical part with the overlay and the slideshow background made it look even more contrasting – a simple round table with snacks and gamer stuff would’ve worked better if the team was striving to deliver the friendly message. But as such, those things didn’t match.

And the worst thing that really made me feel uneasy was the chat. Are we playing the same game? Why don’t we see such things in the game chat? Most people I come upon in the game are what I’d call a successful interaction, and that’s what makes me stay. And reading the chat it actually felt like all those kids who get banned and ignored on forums and who have problems writing (and reading) in complete sentences came there to show off in front of “the big guys”.

20 level 80s and counting.

Paulytnz.7619

I thought the developers at today’s live stream could have been more professional. I am glad they enjoy what they do but at the same time. There representing a company that people pay money to. A bit more professionalism would go a long way in the future.

They need a example of how to have fun while staying professional take a look a blizzcon live forum panels. The developers have fun while giving off a attitude of professionalism.

I find these comments funny “There representing a company that people pay money to.” Okay lets dissect that statement. How do we pay them money? 1 By the initial cost of the game. 2 From gem purchases and the items we buy from those gems. Now think about that second point. Have you noticed some of the things they sell us for these gems? Hello, quaggin backpacks anyone? Are they not a bit of light hearted silly entertainment type items? Surely those kinds of ideas would come from super serious professional people right? Oops wait I mean light hearted silly people of course. :P

So yeah if you look at things like this and how the game itself even plays I really don’t know how surprised some of you people could be? The game has not once, ever, really seemed like a serious game to me…

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Y’know, I may have been watching too much Rooster Teeth to really feel this was out of line. Go figure.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: outlaws.6910

outlaws.6910

i don’t know what you folks are talking about but i enjoyed the stream i thought it was funny and the devs seem to have fun… geez some of you need to freaking relax… its like they cant do anything or else people will jump on them and wow…. people will complain about anything anet does or doesn’t do… post like this make me loose hope in gamers….

Posted by: Togashi Jack.9531

Togashi Jack.9531

Honestly – the biggest issue with the presentation was putting people who are unused to public speaking address the public. You don’t have your techie answering the phones. orr filing your taxes. You also shouldn’t have your development or balance team address the public, even if it is about balance. You get the people actually trained to do so to do so.

Posted by: BatsLoveCaves.5768

BatsLoveCaves.5768

Can somebody post a link to this?

Paulytnz.7619

Honestly – the biggest issue with the presentation was putting people who are unused to public speaking address the public. You don’t have your techie answering the phones. orr filing your taxes. You also shouldn’t have your development or balance team address the public, even if it is about balance. You get the people actually trained to do so to do so.

Then you have people that usually only know half of what they are talking about and get comments like “I think” or “I need to ask so and so to be totally sure about that”. I know which I would prefer to see. That being people who are making the changes and know what they are talking about doing the talking. It don’t need to be pretty talk, just informative…..

Quoting myself here now – “It don’t need to be pretty talk, just informative…..” is a perfect example of what I mean. :P

Paulytnz.7619

Can somebody post a link to this?

Sure, here you go:

http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2

Wait a few seconds and the video in question should be at the top of the list on the right side of the screen.

(edited by Paulytnz.7619)

Posted by: captaincrash.6528

captaincrash.6528

They really should announce this, since they revealed, or maybe let’s just say talked about, new/replacement game mechanics. I had no idea this was going on, or was going to go on, reminds me of the amateur days of posting patch notes on reddit opposed to their main site.

EDIT just going to say I cant comment on the quality of the content of the stream but if I had watched I dont think I’d have a problem with the devs laughing and having fun. These guys job isn’t normally like this and I could appreciate that they get run-of-the-mill devs to do these streams.

Crash ~ Charr Reaper

(edited by captaincrash.6528)

Posted by: Talentless.5708

Talentless.5708

i don’t know what you folks are talking about but i enjoyed the stream i thought it was funny and the devs seem to have fun… geez some of you need to freaking relax… its like they cant do anything or else people will jump on them and wow…. people will complain about anything anet does or doesn’t do… post like this make me loose hope in gamers….

I dont think anyone needs to relax. The lack of professionalism was an honest and accurate critique. The fact that you didnt care doesnt make those who thought it embarrassing for anet to be anything but of a different opinion.

Talentless Necro – Talentless Engineer
Jade Quarry – Strike Force | Wilsonian Institute
new video pending: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDVc34_SFKM&feature=youtu.be

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

I don’t mind the devs having fun and its better for GW2 if they are enjoying themselves.

However, I know some are nervous, possibly a little embarrassed about being on camera but I would like them to speak more clearly, mumble less and try to avoid looking down all the time. Just because it enables the viewer to understand them better.

Jon Sharp is very, very clearly spoken and I can understand every word he says. Also, he is best at staying on topic and covering all the points. Looked really tired in yesterdays vid thou, go get some sleep!

Also, well doing the live broadcast they are reading the comments which is pretty distracting for them and you can imagine what some of the comments are saying…

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Is it really surprising that non-professional streamers are not acting like professional streamers?

They are developers after all, not PR-people. They are not employed to be good streamers, they are employed to make a game.

Personally I prefer the more personal streams than those boring strict, everything planned in the slightest detail kinds.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Lexandro.1456

Lexandro.1456

There is little need to actually have a camera on the devs when streaming. They can use game footage in place of being on camera if its an issue of embarrassment or not being comfortable on screen. Or failing that have a dedicated PR person to is willing to go on camera to answer questions people may have. The questions can easily be had from the multiple topics posted in the forums.

There is no real need to read and answer comments live on screen, which btw is something that even seasoned broadcasting staff are hesitant to do at times. Just because you can does not mean you should, as they say. From the two I’ve seen a few minutes of, the devs are not suited to giving clear and understandable information on what it is they are doing. They are stilted, clipped statements without any real though put in to it as if they are always caught on the hop by questions they don’t expect or cant answer.

In short; Imo a crappy setup, that doesn’t do much to improve Anet’s professional image as a company, nor give the customers the info they are imparting in a clear manner.

Posted by: Gulesave.5073

Gulesave.5073

They weren’t put up there because they know how to talk to people. They were put up there because they know what they’re talking about. Which isn’t to say that the prior skill can’t be learned, nor that a little PR handholding wouldn’t help in the meantime.

These same guys have presented themselves better at other times, so it seems they were particularly jovial at this time. Honestly, that’s what most of the Seattle area feels like right now. Having a sportsball team in the playoffs tends to do that to people.

I should be writing.

Posted by: Noah.4756

Noah.4756

nowhere. But if you’re turning off your viewers, that’s not good.

Consider the Warframe Livestream, they often times take a much more relaxed approach, hell they even have a beer or two, and take the time to play during the discussion.

I don’t really know what to call it, but there was certainly something unsettling about the presentation, something that definitely made me cringe

The strange part, it wasn’t even the thing about them mentioning diversity when their presentation suggest otherwise. I just felt uneasy, also slightly upset that Karl wouldn’t read my ping pong jabs.

Not sure who’s more immature here; you making fun of how someone looks or their style of presentation.

Posted by: Bezagron.7352

Bezagron.7352

In truth I loved the stream, yes it was hard some times to hear but I could always re-watch the parts I missed. Kind of felt like I was part of the family listening in.

Professionalism. On a whole I find Arena Net to be quite professional in almost all their communication. Going professional to far and it’s like building a wall between you and that the other side. Just making you feel like their just doesn’t care. On a whole I feel honoured that they relax so much and let us in.

Posted by: Snowshadow.3105

Snowshadow.3105

I totally agree with the creator of this topic. If you really want to do livestreams, pls at least try to act a bit professional and don’t just throw a bunch of kids out there that obviously are barely prepared to do the stream.

Unfortunately I wasn’t able to force myself watching this s***. Does someone have a summary of the most important changes? Does anything change except the crit. DMG being renamed and reduced by 10%?

Are there plans to allow players to change the really expensive berserker gear to gear that is not being nerfed?

(edited by Snowshadow.3105)

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

I was curious about this “dev stream” and watched about two minutes of it before I couldn’t take it any more. It reminded me of the locally-produced commercials where the owner of a small company doesn’t want to hire actors and spends 45 seconds staring at the camera like it’s an oncoming train and reads a message like he’s delivering a ransom note.

Computer guys aren’t always the most social people, if you’re going to have someone represent your company like this, it’s worth the extra money to hire someone who knows how to look natural while on camera.

Posted by: Wasbunny.6531

Wasbunny.6531

I was all set to disagree with most of you about how off-putting the ‘unprofessionalism’ of the dev team’s live streams are. And then I watched it. Yikes.

I’ve really enjoyed all the other streams in the past, but this last one (and I think ArenaNet will admit this) was, well…almost insulting. There is a lot of thought, theory crafting, passion and well articulated debating going on in these forums and to have none of that reflected by the devs themselves was really disheartening.

In between the giggling and inside joke banter I heard that some really major changes are in the works (very excited about most of them from what I could understand) but the delivery was so off-hand and cavalier that it made me doubt how much thought went into these radical changes. Really the worst thing you can do when announcing possibly controversial changes is to appear flippant and disinterested while explaining these things to the community. We care a lot about this game and expect ArenaNet to care even more, and to show it.

I’m giving a pass to ArenaNet on this one because I know this is an uncharacteristic misstep and I know how presentations don’t always reflect how hard everyone there is working and how invested and focused they are on the game. So I forgive you ArenaNet, just next time please be more respectful when talking about something we all care so much about.

~An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.~