[Merged]Why is there no bloodFX?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kuroko.6239

Kuroko.6239

There is only one time you see bloodfx, and thats when you use one of those spells under water. But other then that there is none at all in the entire game? Why is this?
When you slash somebody with a sword and they just stand there and stare at you while you’re killing them that is not entertaining, its rather boring and dull…
So is there a specific reason for no blood graphics ? The game is rated T, so im guessing blood would be allowed..

Posted by: AncientYs.8613

AncientYs.8613

this is something i was wondering about as well.. its really odd =/

Posted by: Terok.7315

Terok.7315

Rated T for teens.

Edit: At least that seems to be the most plausible explanation for the lack of blood in an action mmo.

Vile Necromancer||Defender of the Beastgate||Slayer of Moa’s

Posted by: Syktek.7912

Syktek.7912

Some people are pansies. That is why.

For the real reason: Game is being sold to a wide audience and some countries have their own rating systems. Have to keep some aspects to a minimum in order to get past those rating systems.

Australia is known to ban games for some of the dumbest things, for example. (PROTECT THE CHIIIILDDDREEEENNN!!!!!!)

Vesper Dawnshield | Guardian

(edited by Syktek.7912)

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Rated T for teens.

Teens know what blood is

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Araziel.7201

Araziel.7201

Eww…no way do I want to see icky blood added. It would totally ruin my immersion with my holographic wings and princess wand. I love this game. Very kid friendly. That’s part of its charm. If you have kids this is probably the natural progression after Free Realms.

(edited by Araziel.7201)

Posted by: Terok.7315

Terok.7315

Rated T for teens.

Teens know what blood is

That is correct.

Vile Necromancer||Defender of the Beastgate||Slayer of Moa’s

Posted by: Zoldyck.6241

Zoldyck.6241

Most people I know playing have kids, so I think they would not want to have their kids see blood while mommy/daddy is enjoying their private gaming hour. :-)

Posted by: Khal Drogo.9631

Khal Drogo.9631

Every adult loves gore in their video games. The more realistic the more entertaining. Nevermind the actual gameplay thats for old people….

Apologies to those who may find my posts on GW2 forums offensive and hateful.

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

Rated T for teens.

Teens know what blood is

They also know what sex is, but put a nipple in a game and suddenly the rating sky rockets.

Remember that 90% of the reason these ratings and regulations exist is because of the kind of people that can’t breath and talk at the same time, so you can’t expect too much.

(edited by ProxyDamage.9826)

ProxyDamage.9826

Most people I know playing have kids, so I think they would not want to have their kids see blood while mommy/daddy is enjoying their private gaming hour. :-)

Of course not. Seeing people get hacked with swords, axes and daggers, being set on fire and smashed with hammers… that’s fine. It’s the blood that causes the emotional trauma. Really. Lesson learned kids: You can shoot someone in real life, just avoid the blood!

I’ll never forget that one idiot a few years ago, asking for a “no blood” mod for CS so he could play it with his 9 year old girl at peace. Stabbing and shooting daddy in the face is just dandy, just no blood! God forbid we realize that the perfectly ordinary liquid that keeps up alive is bound to spill from our bodies if we puncture them.

I wonder what kind of hysterics do some people go through whenever they get a tiny cut that bleeds a bit.

Khal Drogo.9631

Of course not. Seeing people get hacked with swords, axes and daggers, being set on fire and smashed with hammers… that’s fine. It’s the blood that causes the emotional trauma. Really. Lesson learned kids: You can shoot someone in real life, just avoid the blood!

I’ll never forget that one idiot a few years ago, asking for a “no blood” mod for CS so he could play it with his 9 year old girl at peace. Stabbing and shooting daddy in the face is just dandy, just no blood! God forbid we realize that the perfectly ordinary liquid that keeps up alive is bound to spill from our bodies if we puncture them.

I wonder what kind of hysterics do some people go through whenever they get a tiny cut that bleeds a bit.

Yet limbs dont get severed, skulls don’t smashed in, no big spurting blood pools everywhere you see. Its just not realistic enough. Some kids might imagine that Greatswords shoot lasers in real life. Think of the children. Dont let them turn into pansies who will faint at the sight of a RL maiming/torture/murder.

ProxyDamage.9826

Yet limbs dont get severed, skulls don’t smashed in, no big spurting blood pools everywhere you see. Its just not realistic enough. Some kids might imagine that Greatswords shoot lasers in real life. Think of the children. Dont let them turn into pansies who will faint at the sight of a RL maiming/torture/murder.

Let’s put it this way: I hope you realize the incoherence, if not the potential inherent danger, in letting a kid see people violently attack each other, but fervently denying them the result of said violent.

I know this is hardly scientific (I hope to run a test on that one day, if I get the chance to, or maybe find some studies on it), but have you ever noticed how when a kid pics up a gun and shoots another kid because of a cartoon they saw, it’s usually one of those cartoons with no blood or anything, where a bullet is little more than a punch to the gut? The disassociation between cause and effect seems, to my trained eye, more dangerous than the base knowledge that there is such a thing as violence – they know. They’re young, not stupid.

Personally, I don’t care of GW has blood or not. I think it’s more a matter of stylistic and artistic coherence, but when you start the “THINK OF THE CHILDREN” argument then you’re going down a very treacherous road that may not go exactly where you want it to.

Khal Drogo.9631

Let’s put it this way: I hope you realize the incoherence, if not the potential inherent danger, in letting a kid see people violently attack each other, but fervently denying them the result of said violent.

I know this is hardly scientific (I hope to run a test on that one day, if I get the chance to, or maybe find some studies on it), but have you ever noticed how when a kid pics up a gun and shoots another kid because of a cartoon they saw, it’s usually one of those cartoons with no blood or anything, where a bullet is little more than a punch to the gut? The disassociation between cause and effect seems, to my trained eye, more dangerous than the base knowledge that there is such a thing as violence – they know. They’re young, not stupid.

Some people enjoy realistic gore regardless of their age so how is that a deterrent factor at all. Is there some kind of spy program that monitors people and their proclivities so as to detect disturbed individuals via the games they play?

Posted by: Dedlaw.9130

Dedlaw.9130

Do you really need a ton of blood & guts to get your kick out of this game?

Dedlaw – Fresh 80 Zerker Warrior
DODGE!!! – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvS6zMThiZU

ProxyDamage.9826

Some people enjoy realistic gore regardless of their age so how is that a deterrent factor at all. Is there some kind of spy program that monitors people and their proclivities so as to detect disturbed individuals via the games they play?

I’m sorry, but how is that relevant? Yes, some people like gore…. And? I’m not sure how that’s relevant to anything. If it was in the game, some people would enjoy it…? …And? …Good for them I guess?

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

For the real reason: Game is being sold to a wide audience and some countries have their own rating systems. Have to keep some aspects to a minimum in order to get past those rating systems.

Australia is known to ban games for some of the dumbest things, for example. (PROTECT THE CHIIIILDDDREEEENNN!!!!!!)

We (USA) ban for sexualization / nudity, they ban for violence.

Frankly I think they’re the smarter ones on that call. There’s nothing ‘adult’ or dangerous / repugnant about a human body. But violence is hard to ever justify.

Though as neither promotes the real thing:
http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2013/01/lead-crime-link-gasoline
(debunks the myth that any media leads to violence)
– there’s no need to ban either. But if you must pick one, better to ban violent imagery than lack of covering.

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

(edited by Kichwas.7152)

Khal Drogo.9631

I’m sorry, but how is that relevant? Yes, some people like gore…. And? I’m not sure how that’s relevant to anything. If it was in the game, some people would enjoy it…? …And? …Good for them I guess?

You said kids not seeing realistic gore as a result of a violent act may result in kids actually committing them in RL. I replied by asking what if they enjoyed gore and are not repulsed by it at all and followed up by asking if the authorities had a spy program in place to monitor if people of any age were inclined towards sadistic video games and had sadistic tendencies in RL, so as to preempt any sort of attacks on the community in RL.

ProxyDamage.9826

You said kids not seeing realistic gore as a result of a violent act may result in kids actually committing them in RL. I replied by asking what if they enjoyed gore and are not repulsed by it at all and followed up by asking if the authorities had a spy program in place to monitor if people of any age were inclined towards sadistic video games and had sadistic tendencies in RL, so as to preempt any sort of attacks on the community in RL.

If they actually enjoy gore they’ve got issues that go well beyond violent videogames and playing them will in no way facilitate a “real life episode”. If anything it seems to work the other way around. I know I prefer random psychopaths to get their jollies out of mangling bodies in a game than grabbing a knife and deciding to go out and try it for themselves.

You need to understand the difference between being desensitized to violence as to not be shocked by it, and being ok with, or even enjoying, it. There is a line the size of the grand canyon between the kid that doesn’t throw up or even laughs when he sees someone bleeding and the kid that will actively attempt to get someone to bleed for his enjoyment.

No game is going to turn a kid into a murderer. It’s not even a “gateway”, because the thing a psychopath gets from killing someone… You can’t find that in a videogame, no matter how realistic they get. Murderers aren’t born from violent videogames. They’re born from kittened up lives, and violent videogames have about as much sway in it as you trying to move a cruise ship by slapping your hand against the water surface.

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

I say give us the option blood fx on/off.
there problem solved.

Posted by: wolfie.7296

wolfie.7296

oh look… another reason not to play this game… there’s a pattern here.

Posted by: Cappn.7240

Cappn.7240

Watching someone be hit by 1000 blades with Quickness up would be nothing but a spray of gore.

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

Which one do you prefer?

1)
Police: Why did you stab him with a sword?
Kid: Because it brings flashy sparkles

2)
Police: Why did you stab him with a sword?
Kid: Because it splashes blood

I’ll go with sparkles.

Posted by: Lucyfer.9517

Lucyfer.9517

YES! And nudity while we’re at it!
And maybe less pink and fluffy stuff in game. Bad evil dragons killed so many peoples families and loved ones. Many of those who barely survived are living in LA. So what do we do? Dragon festival! Let’s remind them of their loss all over again and make them relive bad memories by having huge holographic dragon flying over their heads!
Age of conan did many things wrong, but violence and nudity they got right ^^

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

This is exactly what GW2 needs.

“final blow” animations especially, where like a warrior jumps up with his great sword and slams it down on another person, hacking his skull in two, with cracking sounds as the sword is pried free. Mages that use fire can have their final blow be immolation, complete with the body shrieking and writhing on the ground for a full minute before finally just laying still and burning. Rangers would have a final blow that results in blood spraying from the victims mouth as the cough and wretch from the arrows in their chest. Whistling air sounds come from the holes in their lungs where the arrows protrude, the body laying on the ground, twitching afterwards as a red stain covers the dirt around them.

Even better, let’s connect Anet with the military in Afghanistan, and get them to record the sounds of people dying, so we can have realistic screams. How awesome would that be! Every time you kill a monster you get to hear a real person die.

You people are sick kittens. Leave GW2 and don’t come back.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

I wonder if it occurred to anyone that some people just don’t like the look of too much blood and gore. I have returned some perfectly good games that turned my stomach due to the blood and gore in them. That said I would not mind IF there was a option to tone down the blood and gore.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

Posted by: Dedlaw.9130

Dedlaw.9130

YES! And nudity while we’re at it!

You seriously need to get laid if you get kicks out of nudity in a game

Dedlaw – Fresh 80 Zerker Warrior
DODGE!!! – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvS6zMThiZU

Doggie.3184

Every adult loves gore in their video games. The more realistic the more entertaining. Nevermind the actual gameplay thats for old people….

I wish every game had gore/dismemberment like Requiem Momento Mori. Such an amazing idea and visual effects wasted on a Korean grinder. Blowing people flying into the sky/distance, slicing them in 2 from the waist, decapatation, etc. Was awesome.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Rated T for teens.

Teens know what blood is

But their parents aren’t supposed to know it.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

So people with hemophobia can play.

The Burninator

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

I don’t care either way. Does not bother me.

Posted by: pullnointer.1476

pullnointer.1476

this is a children’s game

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Ahem

Section 9-d

You acknowledge that the Game is not intended for minors under age 13, and You will not allow access to the Game, or the viewing of any display thereof, by any minor under age 13.

Just so you know, it’s technically against the terms of service to allow your kids to watch unless they are age 13-17 and you expressly gave them permission.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Ahem

Section 9-d

You acknowledge that the Game is not intended for minors under age 13, and You will not allow access to the Game, or the viewing of any display thereof, by any minor under age 13.

Just so you know, it’s technically against the terms of service to allow your kids to watch unless they are age 13-17 and you expressly gave them permission.

That is more of a “you can’t sue/blame ArenaNet/NCSoft if your kid turns out to be a serial murderer from watching you play”.

Back on topic, blood and gore would add little to nothing to this game. There are plenty of effects to turn the whole screen into indistinguishable splotches already.

Also adding blood is easy, having the look good on the other hand is not so easy. Most end up looking fake and/or silly. Part of the problem there is that unless your game is going for a realistic look(GW2 isn’t) it HAS to look fake just to match the visuals for the rest of the game.

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

I find this thread funny since just this morning before I came to work, my wife was watching me play the game.
She stated “Oh my gosh this game is bloody!” has I was attacking a mob with my swords and each slash had a red trail behind it.

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

Posted by: Zorby.8236

Zorby.8236

Honestly…at this stage I don’t feel we need even more particle effects.

~This is the internet, my (or your) opinion doesn’t matter~

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

Tera has blood effects that are scalable. It’s also rated M.

Posted by: lockheedlight.5910

lockheedlight.5910

Blood is the last thing that needs time wasted on developing in this game. There are many weapons in need of particles before that stuff. I prefer no gore and blood anyways. I get enough of that in my biology classes.

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

if they started selling these on the gem store, would people buy?

- blood effects pack
- death animations pack
- etc

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Not a fan of blood FX. I’ve seen it in other games and usually it’s way overdone. It doesn’t make or break a game for me either way…but in AoC for example it was way over the top. And it’s completely unnecessary for me to enjoy a game.

Esplen.3940

Not a fan of blood FX. I’ve seen it in other games and usually it’s way overdone. It doesn’t make or break a game for me either way…but in AoC for example it was way over the top. And it’s completely unnecessary for me to enjoy a game.

Don’t worry, Asura will bleed just as much as Giganticus Lupicus. MAKES SENSE, RIGHT?!

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

- blood effects pack
- death animations pack
- etc

No. Also please don’t start a “Survey:” thread about it.

The Burninator

Doggie.3184

M rated for the Lolicon. ;/

Esplen.3940

M rated for the Lolicon. ;/

TERA: Blood, Suggestive Themes, Violence
Notable portion of summary:

Battles are accompanied by cries of pain, slashing effects, and splashes of blood that stain the ground and players’ screen. Several environments depict large pools of blood on the ground or covering torture devices. Some female characters wear revealing outfits that expose large amounts of cleavage and buttocks; their breasts occasionally bounce while running and jumping, and players have the ability to manipulate camera angles for zoomed-in views.

GW2: Blood, Mild Language, Use of Alcohol, Violence
Notable portion of summary:

Skirmishes depict enemies getting shot by arrows, slashed by swords, lit on fire, or struck down by lightning bolts; some underwater attacks result in blood-cloud effects, and stylized blood effects are sometimes depicted in cutscenes. Some sequence depict alcohol use: players can earn achievements by consuming alcoholic drinks—the screen appears blurry to denote drunkenness; in a “drinking competition” mini-game, characters drink ale from mugs—the sequence ends when a challenger’s health reaches zero. The words “a*s” and “kitten” can be heard in the dialogue.

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

I’d like em, as long as they weren’t over the top.

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

- blood effects pack
- death animations pack
- etc

What the literal F? Are you joking?

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

- blood effects pack
- death animations pack
- etc

No. Also please don’t start a “Survey:” thread about it.

haha relax even if i start a “survey” thread, it will die off quickly if there are neither positive or negative feedback for it. i.e. people ignore it completely.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Also if things start spraying blood everywhere the drop rate of Vials of ____ Blood should obviously be increased … maybe include a new “bucket” item. Just stand next to someone fighting and collect all the blood being wasted.

Khal Drogo.9631

Can I mention Game of Thrones here? Dont want to get sued for breach of copyright. Anyway although its a violent, bloody, gruesome TV series, some scenes are not fully depicted such as Theon Greyjoy’s mutilation and castration. Its not as if children are allowed to watch GOT, HBO knows that these scenes would be a big turn off for their adult viewers.

Sorry for going off topic here, I just don’t get violent games that are NOT over the top violent for comedic or horror effect, like the Hitman series for example. One could argue that that COD is not as violent as Age of Conan etc gorefests. I play War of the Roses a medieval hack and slash that features some blood and decapitations but they arent realistic at all and if the gore was amped up to realistic levels, I would never play the game at all. So in short, I would have to say that I personally feel that excessive gore and violence does detract from my gaming experience.

Khal Drogo.9631

Forum next page bug +1