Messages Being Suppressed in WVW

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: EMTDJ.9042

EMTDJ.9042

Q:

Dear Guild Wars 2 Designers,

Please explain to me why messages get suppressed in WVW when people use the say and map chat for commanding and tactics? I was commanding without a tag yesterday in the Eternal Battlegrounds through our map chat and when I was trying to rally my people in the tower Lord’s room my messages were suppressed. I had 15 people following me and this suppression caused us to loose a tower in our lands and caused mass chaos instead of order and coordination. I understand GW2 wants to try and cut on spam but there is a place and time to do it but WVW and other places where people may be commanding is not the place to do it in my opinion..

Please get this fixed.

Your GW2 resident and big fan,
EMTDJ
aka
Eternal (on FC my home)

Eternal Avenger (Norn Warrior), Eternal Undead (Sylvari Necro),Eternal Naturestorm (Sylvari Ele)
FC resident

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

the chat suppression is way too strict

Posted by: Shieero.9187

Shieero.9187

Not about WvW, but similar problem. Can`t even tell people which seal to defend at Lyssa event because after 4 messages i`m being blocked due to excessive messaging. What is that Anet, mmo where you can`t talk in chat? Fix it.

EMTDJ.9042

Yea it is a big pain in the rear because after talking to fellow commanders and such they all have the same problem. It sucks to see spam all the time but it sucks even more to be commanding or doing something that requires map or say chat to coordinate things and you get suppressed…. I don’t think it is right.

Eternal Avenger (Norn Warrior), Eternal Undead (Sylvari Necro),Eternal Naturestorm (Sylvari Ele)
FC resident

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Chat doesn’t get suppressed unless you are spamming a ton of the same message.

So you were probably spamming “Rally here please”

and then when no one came you kept spamming it. It can be easily overlooked in the heat of the moment.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: Reese.9572

Reese.9572

I’ve had situations where I haven’t typed in chat for half an hour in WvW, and when I go to type something, I’m already suppressed. There’s definitely a problem with this system.

milo.6942

and then when no one came you kept spamming it. It can be easily overlooked in the heat of the moment.

if by “spamming a ton” you mean “2 similar messages” then you are correct.

EMTDJ.9042

If by spamming you mean “build acs in the lords room please” twice then yea…. That was what I said before getting suppressed. I was also suppressed once when control clicking the siege I had to a commander who asked for it… There are definitely some major flaws in the suppression system.

FC resident

Posted by: AdrianoAz.7985

AdrianoAz.7985

This is a serious problem and needs to fix as soon as possible.

Leader of the Brazilian Guild [AcA]
Principe Adriano and Rei Adriano
Server: Borlis Pass

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Yeah, the suppressing mechanic is wayy to strict. I noticed that when I was looking for people for one of the not so popular dungeons.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

if by “spamming a ton” you mean “2 similar messages” then you are correct.

It’s not only that.

I think the spam filter takes into consideration your previous X messages.

For example, it keeps a log of your last 10 chat messages. If any of those previous 10 are of the same nature, you will get suppressed.

Even if they are, say, 1 hour apart.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

EMTDJ.9042

1 hour a part?? How is that spam then? That doesn’t make sense at all…. If that is spam good thing we don’t have a spam filter on tv ads… Lol all of them would be suppressed. Not to mention NPCs spam your say chat all the time. Take LA for example each time you past the herald when you are going between the trading post and crafting stations it says " Heare ye Hear ye herald beckons insert character name here_" that never gets suppressed.

FC resident

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

The only time you get suppressed is if you don’t change your message. Change your message to show you’re not a bot and no problemo

milo.6942

The only time you get suppressed is if you don’t change your message. Change your message to show you’re not a bot and no problemo

1. bots can change their messages
  2. you can change your message and still get suppressed if, for instance, you mention some of the same words

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

I get routinely suppressed in Queensdale, simply on posting waypoints near Champs.
This filter is just useless.

Polish > hype

EMTDJ.9042

So it sounds like this is an on going problem with multiple situations. I hope we can get the attention of the designers to fix this problem. I purchase gems every month because I love this game. If I didn’t I wouldn’t do so. I’m not complaining on something small either. This seems to be a big problem with a lot of people and I hope we can get it resolved.

FC resident

Posted by: Hebee.8460

Hebee.8460

The filter defiantly needs to be adjusted to just suppress you when you put 3 messages within 30 seconds (the amount can be adjusted to w/e people think). This will give people good amount of time to post what they need (waypoints/calling out events/offering help in chat/etc.) while if there are still spammers (Which I have not seen, but I haven’t sat in LA long enough to “test”), they will get silenced & still reported by players.

I hate getting suppressed for calling out events in map. Makes me not want to bother letting others know what’s going on for everyone’s benefit, & just kill the event.

(edited by Hebee.8460)

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

It’s not just WvW but everywhere, PvE, WvW and PvP. Welcome to GW2.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

EMTDJ.9042

So what ticks the suppression off? I’m curious to know how exactly how it works

FC resident

Im Mudbone.1437

So what ticks the suppression off? I’m curious to know how exactly how it works

2 or more chat/say/whisper/team or squad postings that are identical or remotely identical will trigger the suppression.

EMTDJ.9042

Well that is dumb. What if I do build ram please, then at another tower I do build ram please… Now I am suppressed and can’t command…. That doesn’t make any sense….

FC resident

Im Mudbone.1437

Well that is dumb. What if I do build ram please, then at another tower I do build ram please… Now I am suppressed and can’t command…. That doesn’t make any sense….

It is also how long between postings too I believe, not remotely sure how long to wait to reset this.

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

Anybody knows if changing maps helps?

Polish > hype