Meta Events... Are they worth it?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: FanaticDamen.3749

FanaticDamen.3749

So. Let me start off with some background before you guys attack me or side with me.

I haven’t played Guild Wars 2 since “Bash the Dragon”. So yes. It has been a while. Over the last week or 2 though I have been doing the 5-6 Big Meta events every day to kind of Farm like I used to. But I have yet to get a single Exotic.

So I came to this conclusion.

5*7=35*3=105. @65% Magic Find.

0 Exotics over 105 events across 3 Lv80 characters, leaves me with a 0% chance of getting exotics. Obviously this is really small testing. But my previous testing showed that across 100 Meta events I would get about 15-25 exotics (VERY ROUGHLY)

So. With all that Aside… and with Guild Wars 2 getting closer to its 2yr of being up and running…

What is ArenaNet’s incentive to doing these Large scale events that were designed to be a key feature of the game? This is a problem for a number of reasons. Games like this are usually about the gear. You get excited when you see an Exotic item in your loot. When you find an upgrade to what you were using before. When you find that weapon or armor piece that will finally complete your set or your look.

It’s not exciting to grind just to find enough gold to buy an Exotic off the BLTP. Or to craft an exotic item.

I just wanted to ask the community and Developers. What do they think of Meta events as they stand today.

TL;DR Start Here

-Are they worth doing?
-Do they generate the experience that is desired from such a feature of the game?
-What would you PERSONALLY do to change Meta Events? ( I say personally for anyone who works at ANet who wants to put their 2 cents in without people assuming that’s what is happening.)
-If Meta events are the ginger step-child feature for you now… Why? And what do you do now in place?

Thank-you for reading!

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I do the Metas from Living Story releases. Lol.

I get a few exotics here and there. I never buy stuff off the TP, that just isn’t fun or exciting to me. I do a few of the World Bosses, if I happen to be in the region when they spawn. They mostly give Rares, though. They would not be where I would go for chances at exotics, especially. Exotics can drop anywhere, from anything. Got Dusk off a Level 6 Raptor Hatchling, so….I think it’s just luck.

Posted by: FanaticDamen.3749

FanaticDamen.3749

I do the Metas from Living Story releases. Lol.
I never buy stuff off the TP, that just isn’t fun or exciting to me.
Exotics can drop anywhere, from anything. Got Dusk off a Level 6 Raptor Hatchling, so….I think it’s just luck.

But this is what I’m on about. What’s the point? If you don’t have a reason to do something, you don’t do it. They need to make World Events, and World Meta Events more worth while. So they aren’t just 10-15 people trying to take down a boss. I miss the old days of like 100+ people showing up to take down Shatterer. But we wont get that if they continue to drop nothing worth while all the time.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

If loot is the only thing that brings people to the content, then I guess everything will need to reward exactly the same thing. Because different people feel different parts of the game are important.

If you want the best option for loot, at this moment, I guess LA is the place to go. It’s raining loot there. If it’s just exotics, then….I don’t know? Dungeons with tokens? Or maybe EotM? No idea, really. I usually play what seems the most fun, at the time, and loot is just a bonus. =)

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

-Are they worth doing?
-Do they generate the experience that is desired from such a feature of the game?
-What would you PERSONALLY do to change Meta Events? ( I say personally for anyone who works at ANet who wants to put their 2 cents in without people assuming that’s what is happening.)
-If Meta events are the ginger step-child feature for you now… Why? And what do you do now in place?

They are worth doing if they are up. Are they worth waiting around for? Absolutely not.

They bring no skill benefit to the player in anyway, if anything it encourages bad play because you can be lazy and not dodge because there are so many people after their daily reviver.

I’d like them to not be auto attack and AFK fests, but anything more means they turn into a dead zone – i.e. Tequatl where I’d have to join a specific guild if I wanted to do the encounter.

As I said, I do them when they are up if I’m mapping or such things during the day when my dungeon group isn’t around.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

Posted by: Nage.1520

Nage.1520

There are a couple of reasons to do them. A guaranteed rare means a chance at an ecto during salvage…it’s how I got enough ectos to make a legendary weapon. It’s basically free ectos, and that’s how I see it. If I get an ecto from that, and it costs me a single teleport, that’s 28 silver profit for a few minutes.

Some people don’t enjoy dungeons, so it’s how they farm. Others’ who don’t do dungeons might do the champ train.

Dungeons are probably better money than these options but they require dealing with other people. I don’t mind that, but others do.

If you think the only reason to do the events is to get exotics, think about how easy most of the events are in the first place. When it comes to risk vs reward, most meta events are still relatively easy And there are plenty of times I get multiple yellows which gives me more than an ecto.

(edited by Nage.1520)

Posted by: Cush.4063

Cush.4063

I definitely agree that RNG in this game is absolutely horrible. It’s something that needs to be fixed asap. Buying something off of the TP when you have enough gold is definitely not near as exciting as getting a drop of it. Not even close. It feels like cheating in a way. I wish there was a better system to the loot here. The current system is to get enough gold to purchase it. I don’t think that anyone, or maybe 1% of the game, actually do events hoping to get a particular item or to get an ascended item. It’s just not reasonable enough to think that way. So everyone in the game basically just plays for gold. If anyone gets a precursor drop, or exotic drop, it’s not because they were shooting for that, it’s because it just happened. Sucks =/.

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

In most cases.

No. There’s a novelty associated with them the first time. After that no, not really. It’s just people pressing 1 rapidly over and over till they get their loot.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

no matter what the odds, it comes down to your luck on getting a exotic

another factor would be the size of the zerg thats doing the meta event (every time, all day)

the chances might be low on geting final rest from behemoth, but every day, and every time he shows up, over 50 people come and get a chanse to get that exotic.

imagine behemoth shows up every hour, and 50 peope come and atleast 1 final rest drops

thats 24 final rests per day, imagine 100 people show up? 48 final rests how many players in those 100 people are there that actualy needed final rest?

in a week youd have hundreads of final rests on the TP worth 50 silver….

meta events arent just about exotics, its about geting a rare skin that can mostly only be found in that meta event, and that is why its such a rare drop

Posted by: Cush.4063

Cush.4063

This game’s RNG is so bad because the economy solely rests on the TP unlike other games. Which is awesome that the economy is stable unlike most games I’ve played, and that we have an awesome TP, but loot is horrible.