Microsoft accepts bitcoins; why doesn't ANet?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: greatwolf.1758

greatwolf.1758

Q:

Microsoft now takes bitcoins as a form of payment; why doesn’t ANet?

You can now buy apps, games and other stuff from microsoft with bitcoins. Source

Just putting it out there.

Also relevant, from the other thread under the now defunc BLTC section.

(edited by greatwolf.1758)

Posted by: Mark Katzbach

Mark Katzbach

Content Marketing Manager

A:

We are not currently exploring bitcoin support at this time. With regards to payment options, our current priority is in expanding options for our players in the EU. It’s possible that we might explore bitcoin in the future, but it’s not something we are currently planning for.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Probably because bit coins are a money laundering paradise.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Goose.5196

Goose.5196

It probably has something to do with the instability of the value of bitcoin. It is great to be able to advertise a set price for a long time. Bitcoin fluctuates too much for that.

I don’t want more things to get, I want more things to do.

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

Or maybe it’s because they use a third-party payment processor that doesn’t accept bitcoins.

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Microsoft is a several billion dollar company in income. ArenaNet is barely breaking 100 million dollars.

More specifically, ANet’s transaction agent, the company that handles all the accepted forms of payment as well as charging tax when appropriate, doesn’t handle BitCoin.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Posted by: Zeivu.3615

Zeivu.3615

There is no way to back the value of bitcoins. Only a complete kitten would accept them for anything.

Behellagh.1468

There is no way to back the value of bitcoins. Only a complete kitten would accept them for anything.

I believe, as other bitcoin threads have pointed out, there are services that will take bitcoins and convert it to whatever currency the company wants. ANet or NCSOFT don’t need to get into the bitcoin business, just sign up with one of these bit coin intermediaries who well take the price, say $10 for 800 gmes, and charge the buyer the correct amount in bit coins and turn around and pay ANet $10 minus transaction fees.

This puts the risk on the bitcoin processor and not ANet.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Zeivu.3615

Zeivu.3615

Still sounds like a waste of time for Arenanet with little benefit to get directly involved. The idiots who invest in it can trade it for real currency and then buy it like everyone else.

I believe, as other bitcoin threads have pointed out, there are services that will take bitcoins and convert it to whatever currency the company wants. ANet or NCSOFT don’t need to get into the bitcoin business, just sign up with one of these bit coin intermediaries who well take the price, say $10 for 800 gmes, and charge the buyer the correct amount in bit coins and turn around and pay ANet $10 minus transaction fees.

This puts the risk on the bitcoin processor and not ANet.

Posted by: Thuggernaut.1250

Thuggernaut.1250

you could say the same thing about the dollar, or pretty much any other currency these days. the only things backing them are a few questionable promises, media coverage and public relations campaigns.

Ayrilana.1396

you could say the same thing about the dollar, or pretty much any other currency these days. the only things backing them are a few questionable promises, media coverage and public relations campaigns.

Usage. Everyone has accepted it and the value of the dollar is stable. Can you say the same for Bitcoin?

Posted by: Dennis.5904

Dennis.5904

LOL @ some of the replies here.

“Bitcoin is not backed by anything”
“bitcoin value not stable”

blah blah blah. Do your education or shut your mouth. Merchants who accept bitcoin, have 0% risk by doing it. They get paid dollar amount in their bank account next day, they never see the coins. The merchant processor handles everything for the merchants. There is really 0% risk of accepting bitcoins through a merchant processor, no matter what the price is.

Posted by: Thuggernaut.1250

Thuggernaut.1250

Usage. Everyone has accepted it and the value of the dollar is stable. Can you say the same for Bitcoin?

the dollar has existed for more than 200 years. bitcoin has existed for five or six years. given the same amount of time, bitcoin can achieve the same acceptability and stability (if not better) than the dollar.

the value of the dollar, stable? don’t make me laugh. if you consider an average decline in the real purchasing power of the dollar of 4% each year (for the last 30 years) as stable, let me have whatever it is you are smoking.

Posted by: Shayne Hawke.9160

Shayne Hawke.9160

And I suppose you think that governments being able to type nonsense numbers into their bank accounts to justify the printing of their legal tenders by federal reserves is sound fiscal policy.

Educate yourself.

YT channel - GW2 Activity vids and more
Activities are dead.
Sanctum Sprint record times: any checkpoints – 39.333, all checkpoints – 1:55.633

Behellagh.1468

Gentlemen and/or ladies. The point is if a processor was willing to pay ANet the majority of $10 USD from a transaction in a currency ANet doesn’t directly accept, it shouldn’t matter if the currency was Yen, Rupees, Bitcoin or the giant stone coins from Yap.

It’s just the processor that ANet uses doesn’t accept Bitcoin and ANet doesn’t see a reason to signup one of the major Bitcoin processors. End of story.

RIP City of Heroes

Ayrilana.1396

the dollar has existed for more than 200 years. bitcoin has existed for five or six years. given the same amount of time, bitcoin can achieve the same acceptability and stability (if not better) than the dollar.

the value of the dollar, stable? don’t make me laugh. if you consider an average decline in the real purchasing power of the dollar of 4% each year (for the last 30 years) as stable, let me have whatever it is you are smoking.

You may want to look into what currency stability actually means.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

And I suppose you think that governments being able to type nonsense numbers into their bank accounts to justify the printing of their legal tenders by federal reserves is sound fiscal policy.

Educate yourself.

Maybe you should keep up to date on current events.

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

LOL @ some of the replies here.

Do your education or shut your mouth. Merchants who accept bitcoin, have 0% risk by doing it. They get paid dollar amount in their bank account next day, they never see the coins. The merchant processor handles everything for the merchants. There is really 0% risk of accepting bitcoins through a merchant processor, no matter what the price is.

Yes but you pay the handler to manage the risk, either with fees or trading rates that give profit to the handler. Why would a business either take the risk or pay off the risk when they can avoid it altogether? No customers are walking away from the computer game because they can’t pay in bitcoins. Nobody.

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

Just to ensure: He said it’s POSSIBILITY, they MIGHT add this option. This is NOT a guarantee of any kind. #kthxbai

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

The value of currency is guaranteed by the Reserve Bank of your respective country. As long as that exists, with a government to support it, it will have stable value, regardless of inflation or deflation – it is legalised tender with the support of a nation state. Bitcoin doesn’t have that and is more reflective and affected by market confidence.

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

Posted by: Dante.8456

Dante.8456

why pay money for bitcoins to pass onto Anet when you can just pay the money directly to Anet? Seems like a bit of a detour. I assume this function would only be useful if you had loads of bitcoins which I can’t imagine is the majority of people at all

Desolation EU
Guardian / WvW Enthusiast

Posted by: Nidome.1365

Nidome.1365

As far as I am aware Bitcoins are unregulated and technically not a currency.
At best they can be considered a virtual commodity and therefore no-one has an obligation to accept them as legal tender even if they use a payment processor that accepts them.

Posted by: Shayne Hawke.9160

Shayne Hawke.9160

Educate yourself.

Maybe you should keep up to date on current events.

If by “current events”, you mean things that happened ten months ago, then yes, I am quite up to date on current events.

YT channel - GW2 Activity vids and more
Activities are dead.
Sanctum Sprint record times: any checkpoints – 39.333, all checkpoints – 1:55.633

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

If you earn a Bit coin or any other crypto-currency, you know you have to declare value on it in government backed currency at that time for taxes and also when you sell it in barter or currency exchange, also for taxes.

Do you all realize how nice we have it not to have to deal with the national, regional, and city taxes on real money gems transactions? Arenanet’s accountants are responsible for all taxes and exchange fees.

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

I like chocolate chips, why doesn’t Johnny? I like dogs, why doesn’t Linda?

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Black Frog.9274

Black Frog.9274

Microsoft now takes bitcoins as a form of payment; why doesn’t ANet?

Because it’s a complicated ponzi scheme?

I Like to Run Randomly Around the Map