Mike O'Brien AMA now on Reddit!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

ArenaNet President Mike O’Brien is conducting an AMA on Reddit this afternoon. Please join this thread and ask your questions!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Qugi.2653

Qugi.2653

Maybe dumb question but why not here on official forum? I am sure you wait for that question.

;)

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Hmm Colin is leaving Arenanet.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Maybe dumb question but why not here on official forum? I am sure you wait for that question.

Larger audience on Reddit.

Qugi.2653

Larger audience on Reddit.

Source?

;)

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

A good first post by Mike. Precisely the sort of comms long awaited.

Nice to see an acknowledgement of losing sight of their original aims with the increased grind, but also positive news to fix it and soon.

April sounds like fun

Posted by: eldrin.6471

eldrin.6471

The President of ArenaNet President Mike O’Brien dont want to use his own forums to talk to players.Why is that?

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

The formatting on reddit makes an AMA work better in that system. No preference, just a matter of functionality for this sort of short-term project.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

Well, I am bummed to see Colin leaving as he’s one of the nicest guys ever, but I am excited about new game direction and from an OG at that! Best of luck Mike with your new role and hopefully a fantastic direction for the game. I look forward to following the game from a distance more now this year than I already was enjoying it.

Hopefully this rekindles my desire to play the game again. I’m excited!

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

The formatting on reddit makes an AMA work better in that system. No preference, just a matter of functionality for this sort of short-term project.

Is there any way it can be transcribed to a forum post when it’s done (even locked, I’m fine with)? It’s just that I’m not a Reddit user, and I also like the layout of these forums much more than Reddit.

~EW

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Is there any way it can be transcribed to a forum post when it’s done (even locked, I’m fine with)? It’s just that I’m not a Reddit user, and I also like the layout of these forums much more than Reddit.

~EW

I could try to do that, sure, but it wouldn’t be able to happen today. I like the idea, or maybe a “highlight reel.”

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Qugi.2653

Maybe I old but I see reddit to hard to follow. Up vote, down vote conversation not in order even when select view new. I do not agree but I accept you explanation then.

I will just wait for some person to make tl;dr version I guess.

;)

(edited by Qugi.2653)

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Darn, I don’t have a Reddit account so I will just have to silently watch. I do like the questions folks are posing, though.

I’m so sad we’re losing Colin though having it be on good terms is some comfort. All the best to you, sir, and I hope that once you’ve settled in your new place, whatever that may be, that you’ll drop in to say hi here now and then.

Posted by: defrule.7236

defrule.7236

No WvW answers…

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

~EW

I could try to do that, sure, but it wouldn’t be able to happen today. I like the idea, or maybe a “highlight reel.”

You rock, Gaile! Thank you.

~EW

Posted by: eldrin.6471

eldrin.6471

Guild wars 2 was never about excluding players and thats what made it such a great place to be.Im talking about legendary gear locked behind raids and pvp.were only the skilled can get them.I realy hope this game goes back to its old values.

Posted by: Burtnik.5218

Burtnik.5218

Colin left. I see no reason to continue playing Gw2. Rip my life, bye all.

Attachments:

Salt, salt, moar salt. So salty like fries from McDonald!
Playing Smite since mid s2, f broken gw2.

Posted by: Finalfreefall.8247

Finalfreefall.8247

This is great! Thanks for the heads up!!!

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

No WvW answers…

Mike says they will begin some beta tests after the April update. No details though.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Opposite opinion. It could be a good thing because the I didn’t care for the direction he was taking the game. Unless, of course, he left because he couldn’t stomach what he was being told to do. But I wish him well regardless.

(edited by Blude.6812)

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Well…huh. That’s a lot of info put out just in that one post by Mike.

Cya Colin, good luck!

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Burtnik.5218

I guess ama is done. We will never get answer about mist rev weapons from beta i guess.. Bring em in already QQ

Posted by: Fenom.9457

Fenom.9457

not on reddit, no time for me now.. can someone ask these for me lol?

1. Any plans for new playable races?
2. Can you tell us ANYTHING about expac2? dragon? how many dragons? locations?
3. Mounts, Housing. We need. Thoughts?
4. Will you ever complete armors like lawless or toxic?
5. What about weapons? are all weapons possible for all classes in the future? How about new weapon types?
6. Is it possible we’d ever see more elements for elementalist? What would the restrictions be like?
7. Are the Woodland Cascades at all in your current plans? How about deep sea stuff, and more krait/Bubbles lore?
8. Can we get a little more diverse armor? For example, I get heavy armor is themed as metal, but can we get ANY metal armors on light or cloth on heavy? and some cool pants/shirts for human male light?

Thanks

Want to read about a nice mini expansion to make Mordremoth and Zhaitan better?
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Mini-Expansion-Vengeance/first#post6473305

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

No account either, I was hoping someone would ask when are they going to get Anet to provide funding to get a new forum engine.

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

I guess ama is done.

Still going on.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Some excellent and important comms in that AMA. Whether it be about LS3 shipping mid-late 2016, or the forthcoming changes to HoT to make it less group orientated or even the reconsideration to dungeon rewards. Lots to digest. Hope someone is summarising it all…

edit: yes https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Dev-quotes-from-Reddit/page/3#post6023525

(edited by Randulf.7614)

Burtnik.5218

Ah.. the tracker died then i guess

Posted by: Sindex.9520

Sindex.9520

Maybe I old but I see reddit to hard to follow. Up vote, down vote conversation not in order even when select view new. I do not agree but I accept you explanation then.

I will just wait for some person to make tl;dr version I guess.

After reading the post you pulled out in another topic. About the former outsourced contractor that used to maintain these forums. I am not surprised. Until they bring someone in to either refurbish it, or come up with something new then this place is dead weight.

It seems that developers are jumping ship. Simply because Reddit is the Facebook of community driven forum outlets. I loathe either outlet (even Twitter) for personal reasons. Nevertheless I can’t deny what either of them have become. Until something comes along and knocks them all down. However I feel the same way as you do; about any type of official communication being on several different social media outlets. It’s a bit lazy, but according to them they have too much stuff on that table. At least John Smith is still using these forums, and has progressed in using it’s format over the last few years.

Anyhow as for Colin’s departure. I don’t actually think I will miss Colin that much. I wish him the best of luck, but I am looking forward to the new replacement director. This whole Reddit AMA seems to be there in order to reintroduce O’brien coming back in as a temporary active director. Most of the time I thought Mike was sitting back comfortable in his position (as CEO of the company). Just like Gabe Newell actually contributing anything major at Valve (at this point & time).

(edited by Sindex.9520)

Donari.5237

Oh foo, disappointing if clear answer about elite specs — “elite specs are for expansion packs.” So no new elite lines to play with until the next expansion. At least now we know.

Sindex.9520

Oh foo, disappointing if clear answer about elite specs — “elite specs are for expansion packs.” So no new elite lines to play with until the next expansion. At least now we know.

Not surprising actually. I know during HoT production it was hinted that might not always be the case. However I think with post-HoT development they probably figured that some of those elite specs needed more time to cook.

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

Can I have Colin’s ingame gold? kek :P

Posted by: pelle ossa.9705

pelle ossa.9705

ArenaNet President Mike O’Brien is conducting an AMA on Reddit this afternoon. Please join this thread and ask your questions!

i think that do an ama like this every 3-4 months would will be very great ^^

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

Hold on!

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

i think that do an ama like this every 3-4 months would will be very great ^^

I’ll be happy to share that idea with Mike and the team. Thanks for the suggestion.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

A good first post by Mike. Precisely the sort of comms long awaited.

Nice to see an acknowledgement of losing sight of their original aims with the increased grind, but also positive news to fix it and soon.

April sounds like fun

I will counter that, a terrible first post.

If your first post is not even on your own official forums that makes me question spending anymore money on GW. That tells me the tools that your own team created are not worth using and instead you go else where to post. Why not just close these forums down then and move them completely to Reddit. That was a terrible first move. Makes me not even care what information was shared right now since it already has left a negative feeling on the game. -100 on this one ANet.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Posted by: RedBaron.6058

RedBaron.6058

Maybe with Colin’s departure WvW gets more love and is not anymore the son of a lesser GW2 God?

“Blackadder: If you want something done properly, kill Baldrick before you start.”

Posted by: Wolfheart.1879

Wolfheart.1879

Hmmm. I have to say, somewhat reluctantly but this is some of the most encouraging comments I’ve seen from Anet in many a moon.

The Good:

HoT maps getting a work to expand ways they can be played and enjoyed (speaking personally, I cannot stand the current way the maps seem geared overwhelmingly to group content. As a fairly mediocre player, it’s nice that it seems I’ll be able to explore HoT locations more. They’ve been pretty offputting for me so far.

A second look at dungeons (specifically rewards) in response to community feedback. Never really cared for fractals or dungeons, but the signs here there is definite intention to use player feedback to improve the game. When I was last largely active, that was very much not the case, at least in terms of how it felt.

Fishing. Or at least, the devs making ideas for such a profession, but still pie in the sky. I love neat little touches to MMOs like that. As an RPer, a broader spread of inconsequential activities broadens and deepens my immersion. But in this case, seems it may never happen, which is fine, but it shows a little interesting insight into the decisions being made and why. Which to me is interesting and also helpful in understanding why things have been decided to be a certain way.

The Bad:

SAB. “Someday”. As long as we have been without it, may as well be never as to how much to be believed. And those who bought those Infinite Continue Coins in good faith still have to wait on some nebulous timescale to once again use an item that has essentially been a junk item for the last few years, likely bought with real cash.

Abandonment of Lore. Sure, Anet can’t cover everything, and they need to focus on their main plotlines, but as a lore junkie, there are so many mysteries and loose threads out there that it is both wonderful to find and speculate, but so frustrating not to have more of the answers. The curse of a rich game world you love.

These are the things that I take away which have importance to the way I enjoy the game. On the wider scope, seems WvW is still an issue in terms of relaying information and ideas and ways to fix the technical aspects of the system before refinement and expansion of the features. Overall, as sad as it is that Colin is going, it seems it’s been the spur needed for the ANet top team to really talk openly and honestly with the playerbase, and for me I see some sparks of the old Anet I used to love begin to flourish. I hope that continues. Certainly a lot less of the Anet that made me not care so much about the game. Just hope the very positive talk becomes very positive action.

Divinity’s Reach is home to some top-tier criminal masterminds.
The kind of people who will set an orphanage on fire after locking themselves inside it.

Sindex.9520

Maybe with Colin’s departure WvW gets more love and is not anymore the son of a lesser GW2 God?

I kind of doubt that. Though WvW is getting that overhaul “soon.”

Donari.5237

Here’s a question I wish were asked, if it hasn’t been: Can Lost Precipice updrafts be turned on permanently, for heaven’s sake?

Posted by: minbariguy.7504

minbariguy.7504

I will counter that, a terrible first post.

If your first post is not even on your own official forums that makes me question spending anymore money on GW. That tells me the tools that your own team created are not worth using and instead you go else where to post. Why not just close these forums down then and move them completely to Reddit. That was a terrible first move. Makes me not even care what information was shared right now since it already has left a negative feeling on the game. -100 on this one ANet.

I agree, but then I’m actually shocked that he participated in an AMA at all, anywhere, given the attitude he’s displayed in the past towards communicating with the players.

I recall his “Communicating With You” thread, where he started a “discussion” by stating that no matter what the players wanted, ANet wasn’t going to provide any information about game features or content until they were basically finished being developed. He then disappeared from the thread, never to return, ignoring all responses to his initial post. He clearly had no interest in discussing the matter with the community.

Of course, at the time of that post, he had exactly TWO posts in his entire posting history — and that includes the “Communicating With You” post — so I think it’s best not to expect much in the way of communication from him. And if he does communicate something, I would expect exactly nothing in the way of responding to player concerns as a result of that communication.

I do not see this as being a positive move for the game. Not at all.

(edited by minbariguy.7504)

Posted by: azorean.1850

azorean.1850

eldrin.6471
Guild wars 2 was never about excluding players and thats what made it such a great place to be.Im talking about legendary gear locked behind raids and pvp.were only the skilled can get them.I realy hope this game goes back to its old values.

are you saying that if u suck at pvp, u should be rewarded the same as a skilled player? gw2 is pretty much like in gw1, the game rly is for everyone, but there will always be stuff that the average player wont get.

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

What Eldrin is saying is that he doesn’t think that a tier of gear (Legendary armor) should be locked behind raids. Legendary weapons aren’t, so why should Legendary armor be?

Posted by: azorean.1850

azorean.1850

What Eldrin is saying is that he doesn’t think that a tier of gear (Legendary armor) should be locked behind raids. Legendary weapons aren’t, so why should Legendary armor be?

i have tried rads once, and i dont care if legendary armor is locked behind them, if it had better stats then ascended armor then yes, that would be a problem. some stuff should stay exclusive just like in gw1. yes you are right about legendary weapons. and because of that everyone with a credit card has one. And eldrin did say that about pvp. average player should be rewarded as much as a skilled playe. Again i want to say i suck at pvp. but like before some stuff should be for people that work for it and that deserve them. u guy want to turn this game like american children sports? doesnt matter who wins or loses everyone gets a medal cause you are all winners yayyyyy!!

Posted by: Akkeros.1675

Akkeros.1675

a few months too late but:

1. get on YOUR OFFICIAL FORUMS
2. answer all the questions and address all the comments HERE
3. Hit the reset button

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

i have tried rads once, and i dont care if legendary armor is locked behind them, if it had better stats then ascended armor then yes, that would be a problem. some stuff should stay exclusive just like in gw1. yes you are right about legendary weapons. and because of that everyone with a credit card has one. And eldrin did say that about pvp. average player should be rewarded as much as a skilled playe. Again i want to say i suck at pvp. but like before some stuff should be for people that work for it and that deserve them. u guy want to turn this game like american children sports? doesnt matter who wins or loses everyone gets a medal cause you are all winners yayyyyy!!

Guilds are already selling raid places or even giving them away for free, any gloating about raid achievment went basically invalid in the moment the first place was sold for probably a horrendous price to a rich kid who could not be bothered to run it on his own.
So we came from:
A game where everyone won one of your medals.
over a game where some people began to work the game to gain ascended armor
up to a game where we are trying to professionalize and incite people into contests like with the olympics or a WM.
How incorrubtible the olympic comitee or the FIFA for example is, is an open secret, so any point about sporty achievments is a rather weak argument in my opinion.

I know where my priority lies, yours lies probably at the other end of the spectrum.

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

Give it more time. Raids will be ran by many many more people.

Posted by: Lothirieth.3408

Lothirieth.3408

For all of you whinging about this happening on Reddit: an AMA (Ask Me Anything) is a specific Reddit thing (https://www.reddit.com/r/iama) so of course it makes sense to do so on Reddit. This sort of thing would be very difficult to try to carry out and read on traditional forums due to the format. The Reddit format makes it incredibly easier to identify questions and then have the answers to each question be attached to said question instead of randomly on page 24 of a 49-page thread in the forums. It’s far, far more organised and keeps the different topics of questions clearly separate. So really, just quit with the indignation that (shock! horror!) a Reddit thing was carried out on Reddit.

A user was kind enough to make a summary, so you can easily read all the replies: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/490u3k/missed_the_ama_heres_a_summary/

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: MadRabbit.3179

MadRabbit.3179

Wow, just wow. This is the most positive thing I have seen in months. Well done, Arenanet. Well done. Just reading the variety of answers to many common questions has gone a long way in reducing the personal cynicism I have developed in the absence of any communication. I actually look forward to the future of the game now and plan on coming back to check on the game’s progress in April.

Rehabilitated Elementalist. Now, trolling the Thief forums with my math.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

For all of you whinging about this happening on Reddit: an AMA (Ask Me Anything) is a specific Reddit thing (https://www.reddit.com/r/iama) so of course it makes sense to do so on Reddit. This sort of thing would be very difficult to try to carry out and read on traditional forums due to the format. The Reddit format makes it incredibly easier to identify questions and then have the answers to each question be attached to said question instead of randomly on page 24 of a 49-page thread in the forums. It’s far, far more organised and keeps the different topics of questions clearly separate. So really, just quit with the indignation that (shock! horror!) a Reddit thing was carried out on Reddit.

A user was kind enough to make a summary, so you can easily read all the replies: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/490u3k/missed_the_ama_heres_a_summary/

I find this forums format easier. Each red post has up and down arrows on it to go to the next red post in sequence, which makes it easy to quickly go to each one and read it. In addition, dev posts on that forum can be hidden by downvotes and just by the way that forum is set up. Whole comment strings can be closed and if you don’t open up each one, it’s easy to miss a dev post.

There is also no reason why a “reddit thing” such as an Ask Me Anything can’t be an “official forum thing.” If the Devs find the formatting on their own official forum so unappealing, whose fault is that? If that’s their problem then maybe they should shake lose the money for a new forum format.

One last point, none of the things the Devs said are on our forums Dev tracker which makes it difficult to reference and use for discussions on the official forum.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Qugi.2653

I find this forums format easier. Each red post has up and down arrows on it to go to the next red post in sequence, which makes it easy to quickly go to each one and read it. In addition, dev posts on that forum can be hidden by downvotes and just by the way that forum is set up. Whole comment strings can be closed and if you don’t open up each one, it’s easy to miss a dev post.

There is also no reason why a “reddit thing” such as an Ask Me Anything can’t be an “official forum thing.” If the Devs find the formatting on their own official forum so unappealing, whose fault is that? If that’s their problem then maybe they should shake lose the money for a new forum format.

One last point, none of the things the Devs said are on our forums Dev tracker which makes it difficult to reference and use for discussions on the official forum.

Agree.

;)