Mini Celestial Rooster, here we go again.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kronos.3695

Kronos.3695

For those who aren’t aware of this, the patch of yesterday introduced another RNG ACCOUNT BOUND minipet, the Mini Celestial Rooster.

This is not the first time that something like this is happening, and everytime the community didn’t take it too well, as you can see in a pair of clamorous examples:
Mini Gwynefyrdd
Mini Mr. Sparkles

Now, not only we have another RNG minipet into the Black Lion Chests, but it’s even account bound, so players like me (minipet collectors) can’t finish the collection unless they spend a ridiculous amount of real money or gold and still not being sure to get this minipet.

What do you guys think about this move?

PS: for who will bring out of this gliders of the previous seasons (like grasping) as example, I’ll just tell you why they doesn’t fit with this argument: gliders are ONLY obtainable via gemstore.

Kronos Ledaloth, Leader of Bloodstone Keepers [BloS] - Far Shiverpeaks (EU)

YouTube Channel

(edited by Kronos.3695)

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

ANET has done it this way for over 10 years ………. I have no problems with it.

Kronos.3695

No?
I don’t recall anything in the first Guild Wars not obtainable by playing (even a lot).
And here, everytime they did something like this, they got bad feedbacks from the community.

YouTube Channel

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

No?
I don’t recall anything in the first Guild Wars not obtainable by playing (even a lot).
And here, everytime they did something like this, they got bad feedbacks from the community.

if you weren’t around during a festival, hats were completely unobtainable forever
Lupine Mask
Zombie Mask
Skull Mask
Dragon Mask
Lion Mask

etc

they’re all pointless items, but if you missed them they were forever unobtainable

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

I bought 10 keys. Got the mini on the 6th. Also got a great jungle wurm finisher.

*shrug

There’s something charming about rangers.

Kronos.3695

No?

if you weren’t around during a festival, hats were completely unobtainable forever
Lupine Mask
Zombie Mask
Skull Mask
Dragon Mask
Lion Mask

etc

they’re all pointless items, but if you missed them they were forever unobtainable

That’s not what we’re talking about here.
Here we’re talking about the RNG wall of an item that’s not obtainable for sure, even by investing thousands of gold or hundreds of real money, because it’s account bound and there aren’t CERTAIN ways to acquire it.
If you were in game during a festival on Guild Wars, you’ll get your hat without effort and for sure, so you can’t compare it to this kind of RNG items, I’m sorry.

I bought 10 keys. Got the mini on the 6th. Also got a great jungle wurm finisher.

*shrug

Lucky you, a friend of mine used 78 and didn’t get it, I used 26 and didn’t get it.

YouTube Channel

PyrateSilly.4710

Minis were/are completely RNG ….. some of them I am just getting now from being able to turn in a ticket thing and pick from the previous years

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

For me, it’s no different than the other items offered lately in the Black Lion Chests. I think it motivates some to acquire keys. I find that Black Lion Chests have more to offer than they did before, so that’s a good thing.

As for completionists, there’s always some things that are lamentable.

Good luck.

Kronos.3695

Minis were/are completely RNG ….. some of them I am just getting now from being able to turn in a ticket thing and pick from the previous years

Yes, some of them as I said were completely RNG and account bound, and it was a bad move.

YouTube Channel

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

I really wanted these celestial minis because they were present in GW1… too bad the acquisition is so stressful (RNG behind money$).

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Aye, but mini’s were/are also tradeable. I can’t remember if there were any the weren’t mind oyu. I’ve forgotten more than I remember of the game lol

Posted by: HenryChinaski.4732

HenryChinaski.4732

I like it that some things are really rare (hate the fact that you can buy the fractal tonic now)
If you really want it, farm gold and convert it to gems, for the gold you pay for invisible shoes you will get a lot of keys.

PyrateSilly.4710

Aye, but mini’s were/are also tradeable. I can’t remember if there were any the weren’t mind oyu. I’ve forgotten more than I remember of the game lol

When you “installed” them into your Hall of Monuments then those ones were no longer tradeable. The only way you could trade them is if you did not put it into the hall or if you had 2 – one to put into the hall and one to trade. Support had LOTS of tickets about people getting scammed about that, trading for a mini and then realizing that they could not add it to their own hall since it had already been added.

Kronos.3695

I like it that some things are really rare (hate the fact that you can buy the fractal tonic now)
If you really want it, farm gold and convert it to gems, for the gold you pay for invisible shoes you will get a lot of keys.

No, because you can farm several thousands of golds, convert them into gems, buy keys, open chests and STILL NOT GET the minipet.
What you and other people aren’t understanding, is that this minipet is RNG, available for a limited time, account-bound and gated behind black lion chests.

When you “installed” them into your Hall of Monuments then those ones were no longer tradeable. The only way you could trade them is if you did not put it into the hall or if you had 2 – one to put into the hall and one to trade. Support had LOTS of tickets about people getting scammed about that, trading for a mini and then realizing that they could not add it to their own hall since it had already been added.

Eh, if people can’t read, it’s not ArenaNet fault: on every minipet you could read if it was bound to a particoular Hall of Monuments or not.

What I’m seeing here, is a lot of glassclimbing to justify this add to the black lion chests.

YouTube Channel

Posted by: Artaz.3819

Artaz.3819

Free yourself. Ignore mass minipet collections.

And only get the ones you actually want…that Rooster is not anything special.

Posted by: Chad.6104

Chad.6104

Yes you could trade minis placed in the Hall of Monuments. As your post acknowledged people got dedicated mini and those minis could not then be placed again. But you could trade them. They just weren’t worth as much. But if you only wanted it for display then it was a good price since dedicated minis were cheap.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Eh, if Anet wants to make it so that people can’t “collect them all”, many people will not be interested in collecting many. Not sure why that’s a good idea but I suppose Anet knows.

Luckily I’m not interested in most minis. I don’t like the idea of mini people and I also don’t like that they scale with character size. Minis + Asura = hardly being able to see most minis.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

Solution:

I just stopped collecting minipets

Only getting the few ones i actually really like now

Best thing about it:
Not single gem wasted on Gemshop Minipets since my decision

If Anet doesnt allow us to work for our Minipets and get them through hard work/skill then they dont deserve any gem
RNG minipets could even be okay… if it wasnt RNG + Timegated

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I was really disappointed by this as well.

I don’t mind minis being account bound (although I’d much prefer them all to be tradable). I don’t mind them being obtained by RNG. I don’t mind paying real money for them.

But all 3 together is a horrible combination. That means I have to pay out real money for a chance at the thing I want to get (and a much higher chance of ending up with stuff I don’t want instead) and if I don’t get lucky, I’m stuck. I can pay out again but I might end up in exactly the same situation. It’s a horrible feeling and it puts me off wanting to collect mini pets at all. Which is a shame because it’s something I really enjoy doing and the driving factor behind a lot of what I do in-game and almost all the money I spend in the gem store.

And on top of all that it’s time-gated so we can’t even ‘just’ keep trying – if you don’t get it within the festival you’re stuck.

The thing I really don’t understand is that we’ve been through this before. They’ve tried this exact set-up before, for example the mini Snowman, Inifiniarium and Festive Golem, and every time they’ve eventually had to change it and allow players to get them another way because the reaction was so negative. And then they go and do it again as if it’s somehow going to be different this time.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

For those who aren’t aware of this, the patch of yesterday introduced another RNG ACCOUNT BOUND minipet, the Mini Celestial Rooster.

This is not the first time that something like this is happening, and everytime the community didn’t take it too well, as you can see in a pair of clamorous examples:
Mini Gwynefyrdd
Mini Mr. Sparkles

Now, not only we have another RNG minipet into the Black Lion Chests, but it’s even account bound, so players like me (minipet collectors) can’t finish the collection unless they spend a ridiculous amount of real money or gold and still not being sure to get this minipet.

PS: for who will bring out of this gliders of the previous seasons (like grasping) as example, I’ll just tell you why they doesn’t fit with this argument: gliders are ONLY obtainable via gemstore.

Your examples don’t illustrate your point:

• Mini Gwynefrydd was originally introduced as RNG but later became available for a large number of Candy Corn Cob. (Assuming the same price next year and you buy the corn today, under 400 gold in materials.)
  • The Mini Mr Sparkles was a guaranteed acquisition, not RNG. It was given to anyone who purchased 4000 gems in 2013. At the time, many referred to the deal as “buy the mini for US$50, get 4,000 gems for free,” since they were more interested in the mini than the gems.
John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Danikat.8537

And on the other side it’s a bad deal for people who don’t like mini pets as well. Especially the ones who think they’re pointless.

If this mini was tradable (like all the ones from the Toy Miniature Egg and many of the ones from Miniature Claim Tickets) then you could sell it to someone like the people in this topic for a fair bit of gold. The mini festive golem is going for 9g, the snowman for 12g and they both came from Wintersday Gifts so there were likely to be a lot more of them dropping. The 1 ticket minis all go for about 7g each.

But this way if anyone gets one of these minis and doesn’t want it they’re stuck with it. They can’t sell it, they can’t even give it away. All they can do is drop it in the wardrobe and try to forget their “lucky” drop turned into something useless.

Danikat.8537

Mini Gwynefyrdd
Mini Mr. Sparkles

Your examples don’t illustrate your point:

• Mini Gwynefrydd was originally introduced as RNG but later became available for a large number of Candy Corn Cob. (Assuming the same price next year and you buy the corn today, under 400 gold in materials.)
  • The Mini Mr Sparkles was a guaranteed acquisition, not RNG. It was given to anyone who purchased 4000 gems in 2013. At the time, many referred to the deal as “buy the mini for US$50, get 4,000 gems for free,” since they were more interested in the mini than the gems.

I’m not the OP but I think the point with the mini Gwynefyrdd is that they had to change it because so many people were annoyed that it was only obtainable as a rare, account bound drop.

Mini Mr. Sparkles is similar. It was originally only available at conventions where Anet had a stall (all of which were in the USA if I remember correctly), and even then it was pretty inconsistent. I know of one person who was actually there, found the correct person and asked for a code and was told they were only allowed to give away a certain number per day and had hit that limit for the day. 10 minutes later their friend got one off another person. It was made available in the gem store promotion following the backlash that approach received (and reports of codes going for insane amounts on ebay).

I’m surprised they haven’t done another promotion or something actually, it sucks for anyone who wasn’t active (or couldn’t afford it) at the time.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I’m really disappointed to hear this. I would have really liked to get this, but I’m never going to obtain one myself. I was meaning to wait until the end of the festival and see if I could buy one.

With it being account bound it’s just not worth it to me to even consider it at all

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

Solution:

I just stopped collecting minipets

Only getting the few ones i actually really like now

Best thing about it:
Not single gem wasted on Gemshop Minipets since my decision

If Anet doesnt allow us to work for our Minipets and get them through hard work/skill then they dont deserve any gem
RNG minipets could even be okay… if it wasnt RNG + Timegated

Mostly this. Except I will buy a mini from the gemstore if I really want it. But I won’t get BLKs just to maybe, if I’m very lucky, get a mini. Especially as they decreased the amount of things you can get from a key (before you always got 3 items, and if there was an event, an event item).

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Eh, if Anet wants to make it so that people can’t “collect them all”, many people will not be interested in collecting many. Not sure why that’s a good idea but I suppose Anet knows.

Luckily I’m not interested in most minis. I don’t like the idea of mini people and I also don’t like that they scale with character size. Minis + Asura = hardly being able to see most minis.

I have not experienced this. You can check in the mini preview. For example, Mini Scruffy is almost as tall as my Asura, while being nowhere near as tall as any of my other characters

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Glacial.9516

Glacial.9516

Definitely think nearly all items in the Black Lion Chests should be tradable. It’s really a bad thing for both sides of it: Those who collect them are required to waste keys trying if they really want it, and those who have no need (or obtain multiple) can do nothing but trash them (or forge, can you forge them?).

Posted by: Jitsuryoku.9038

Jitsuryoku.9038

I’ve just wasted 51 keys for the sole purpose of getting getting the ****ing rooster (was actually gonna stop after getting it) and here’s what i got:
Common:
(Generic trash items),5 wardrobe unlockers,2 mini tickets,23 BL scraps

Uncommon:
2 hair kits (I’ve got a permanent one, so it’s 100% useless),2 Crimson Lion Dye kits.

That’s it….. Save your keys/cash for better times….

You’d THINK that they would make those holiday items a priority drop for the first time or at least replace kitten like Hair Kits,bank access and such with literally ANYTHING else if you have a permanent version…

Haven’t spent a single cent in months until today and I think i’ll continue to do so again.

(edited by Jitsuryoku.9038)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

No?

Lupine Mask
Zombie Mask
Skull Mask
Dragon Mask
Lion Mask

etc

First, they weren’t rng. They were a guaranteed reward for participating. Second, they weren’t gemshop-bought (and gw1 had no gemshop-bought rng whatsoever). Third, they eventually fixed that.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: bobsort.4097

bobsort.4097

I believe there is a wardrobe unlock item in BL chest that is guarantied to unlock a new item in your wardrobe. I haven’t seen that item yet, but I think if you are completionist, your chances of getting the item you want with that would be higher.

Danikat.8537

I believe there is a wardrobe unlock item in BL chest that is guarantied to unlock a new item in your wardrobe. I haven’t seen that item yet, but I think if you are completionist, your chances of getting the item you want with that would be higher.

According to the Wiki that doesn’t include the Mini Celestial Rooster. It could just be that the wiki hasn’t been updated (I don’t have a wardrobe unlock in-game to check) but I would have thought if it had been updated it would be mentioned in the patch notes.

But more importantly the wardrobe unlock is also only available from black lion chests, and what you get is completely random (from a list of a couple of thousand items). So that doesn’t help at all, it just adds another layer of RNG to any attempt to get this mini.

What would help is any of the following:
1) Make it tradable – so people who don’t want it can sell it to people who do.
2) Add a guaranteed way to get it – put it in the gem store as a direct sale, put it on a vendor for gold or dragonball tokens or whatever, it doesn’t matter as long as it’s not RNG. (Even adding it to the black lion ticket vendors would help.)
3) Add a permanent way to get it, – this wouldn’t completely solve the problem but it’d help a lot. For example make it a drop from Homemade or Little Lucky Envelopes (which are tradable so they’ll continue to be available after the event).

IMO making it tradable is both the simplest and the best way to fix the problem. It leaves the acquisition largely unchanged: someone still has to buy black lion keys from the gem store to get it. But if that person doesn’t want it they can convert their “lucky” but useless drop into gold by selling it to another player and if someone only wants this specific item and is unwilling or unable to buy keys they can get it with gold instead (potentially by buying gems and converting them to gold, which would be a double sale for Anet). I think it should also be easy for them to do, I know they’ve converted items from account bound to tradable before without it seeming difficult.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You can preview the contents of the Wardrobe Unlock from any Black Lion Chest, as it is listed in the loot drop. No need for keys or for the item to drop.

Good luck.

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Eh, if Anet wants to make it so that people can’t “collect them all”, many people will not be interested in collecting many.

This. Guild Wars 2 is not a collector friendly game, and it would be good for people to learn this. The only people who can have a complete collection are the ones who have the thousands of dollars to dump into the game to outpace the ridiculous RNG.

I had aspirations at one point to collect all the longbow skins, but have come across at least 2 that are no longer obtainable, so I stopped bothring (I have about 20 black lion skins missing as well, which is a few thousand gold I won’t have to worry about spending).

There may be a lot of things you can do in Guild Wars 2, but unless you are rich, collecting is not one of them.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Drakz.7051

Drakz.7051

I wanted to have everything at some point, gave up after they started flooding the cs with outfits and skins.

It isn’t about how much you try, it is about how deep your pockets are, welcome to the “bright future” of GW 2.

Look at some of the content released as cs, all the white mantle stuff should have been raid rewards, the sab glider should have been a sab reward.

The more they push cs stuff the less people will spend want to spend.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I’ve always been confused to why Mr. Sparkles was such a big deal, and same with the random letters mini. This is also the same.

It’s just a mini.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

I have not experienced this. You can check in the mini preview. For example, Mini Scruffy is almost as tall as my Asura, while being nowhere near as tall as any of my other characters

The preview shows the mini at some constant size. When I “equip” the mini it isn’t that large.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

nop

ad infinitum glider
ascension glider
ugly wool glider

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Posted by: xBrutalityx.3507

xBrutalityx.3507

Got the rooster 3 times within 18 keys, its not very rare.

Posted by: Spiral.3724

Spiral.3724

I think Anet is trying to balance free stuff with profitability. They have to pay to run this game, you know. They’ve got to have a way to entice people to spend real money and collection addiction is proven a real money-maker. Sad but true.
Do you think you would pay an equivalent amount to just flat-out BUY the mini? Like 3000 gems? (that’s like 24 keys or something) If Anet is looking to make a profit, perhaps they need an accountant to do some calculations and come up with a “buy it now” option. You could waste money on Black Lion keys for a chance to get it, or you could just fork out the cash in one sum.
Thoughts?

Spiral Madheart – Level 80 Mesmer
The Wrong Crowd [bAd] Yak’s Bend

Danikat.8537

I think Anet is trying to balance free stuff with profitability. They have to pay to run this game, you know. They’ve got to have a way to entice people to spend real money and collection addiction is proven a real money-maker. Sad but true.
Do you think you would pay an equivalent amount to just flat-out BUY the mini? Like 3000 gems? (that’s like 24 keys or something) If Anet is looking to make a profit, perhaps they need an accountant to do some calculations and come up with a “buy it now” option. You could waste money on Black Lion keys for a chance to get it, or you could just fork out the cash in one sum.
Thoughts?

That would be fine with me. 3000 gems seems high considering the few reports on the drop rate in this thread suggest that on average it takes far less than 24 keys to get it. But offering the option to buy it directly, either with gold or real money would be perfect.

No one in this topic is asking for it to be free, just that if you’re going to have to pay real money it shouldn’t also be RNG.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Since 25 Keys cost 2,100 Gems, I’d think the price would be a bit lower than 3,000 Gems for the Mini/Glider/cool item of the season.

Well, if the drop rate is 1 in 25 or so.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

For me, it’s no different than the other items offered lately in the Black Lion Chests. I think it motivates some to acquire keys.

I think it motivates people to play a different game.

Posted by: drunkenpilot.9837

drunkenpilot.9837

I like buying BL keys when there are items in the chests I want. The RNG is exciting to me, it’s like playing the lotto, and I enjoy the thrill that comes with getting a really lucky drop.

I bought a bunch of keys because of the newest update to the chests and despite my previous dissent in other similar threads on the “seasonal” black lion chests, I am really enjoying the new additions to the drop table. These cool new additions give us an incentive to buy BL keys, an incentive that for a while there was very much lacking.

If the drop table continues to be updated with fresh, new items that are exclusive to the BL chests, I will continue to buy keys as they are introduced in each seasonal change. More of this, please!

Inculpatus cedo.9234

For me, it’s no different than the other items offered lately in the Black Lion Chests. I think it motivates some to acquire keys.

I think it motivates people to play a different game.

Perhaps, it does motivate some to play elsewhere.

Regardless, I (and you can see from the above post) think it does motivate some to acquire keys.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Got the rooster 3 times within 18 keys, its not very rare.

For every person on the lucky end of the bell curve, there’s a guy on the opposite, kitten end spending 18 keys and getting nothing but revive orbs and tomes.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

thousands of gold to get some little item… they deserve their money.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Posted by: dMb.6150

dMb.6150

they been kittening collectors for a while. I stopped with the golem glider, I tossed 108 keys and didnt get kitten. I think at this point its safe to say they dont give a kitten about what we want.

Posted by: titje.2745

titje.2745

i want that pet. but my rng sucks. why it my rng with the chest so bad? with free wardrobe skin unlock i got a bronze sword skin. please fix this rng from me.

where can i ask the cs team for better loot? i did map completion and i finally got a key and i got a tome of knowlegde from the chest wtf man. why make me so kitten angry every time when i open a chest? a friend of me with free account got 3 keys from 4 map completion and also a new exotic skin from it and me a player who paid kitteng 100 euro for the xpack get only trash loot from the boxes. whats wrong here. i completed 8 maps and got only 1 key. this rage is not normal. its sickness from a package this loot.

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

I just I did my weekly key run a few hours ago and I got this mini from the chest. Too bad it’s account bound, I’m not interested in minis…

Inculpatus cedo.9234

i want that pet. but my rng sucks. why it my rng with the chest so bad? with free wardrobe skin unlock i got a bronze sword skin. please fix this rng from me.

where can i ask the cs team for better loot? i did map completion and i finally got a key and i got a tome of knowlegde from the chest wtf man. why make me so kitten angry every time when i open a chest? a friend of me with free account got 3 keys from 4 map completion and also a new exotic skin from it and me a player who paid kitteng 100 euro for the xpack get only trash loot from the boxes. whats wrong here. i completed 8 maps and got only 1 key. this rage is not normal. its sickness from a package this loot.

You can avoid getting ‘bronze sword’ from Wardrobe Unlock by collecting all the inexpensive, easy-to-attain skins before using said Wardrobe Unlock.

Good luck.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Black Lion Chest Rule Number 1: Never TRY to get any specific item.

If you’re going to buy a lotto ticket and expect to win, you are being 100% foolish. If you buy a lotto ticket and expect to enjoy the gamble, then you are doing it correctly.

Buying keys to get a specific item is 100% foolish.

Server: Devona’s Rest