Mini Mr Sparkles sold for $700.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Cletus Van Damme.2795

Cletus Van Damme.2795

Anyone know where to get this? It’s account bound so I’m assuming it’s either from a forge, reward or the store but I don’t see any mention of it in the patch notes.

Someone in LA said you could only get it from some game event in europe/fan sites which would be weird since anet said they weren’t doing that again iirc.

Magumer Ranger

Posted by: Aguri.2896

Aguri.2896

This is what I heard is well. There are many reasons why they should not do this:

1. Not all GW2 players live in Germany… this is incredibly unfair
2. If you are going to give someone a prize for attending a certain event, don’t make it bound to that person so other people can at least buy it
3. It belongs to a collection and it’s very frustrating to those who have worked hard to collect all the other minis.

Please please please please, if you are going to give these people something at least put it on sale in the Black Lion for other people to buy a week later. That way its still special because they got it early, the other players can still get it, and money goes to the game. It’s a win-win-win!

Mr. Sparkles is best golem (sorry Hobo-tron) and deserves better!

Someone please tell me this isn’t the only way to obtain this mini

I’m only here because sometimes I just like to watch things burn.

(edited by Aguri.2896)

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

|: Anet wat is this crap.

Edit: What they should do is Make it free for attendees via a code they use when they come over, and also include it in the general bundle. That would make it fair.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

This is not something new.
Nor is it something unusual. People attending real life events usually get something that is (initially) only available to does that did attend said event.

It has even been done in GW2 before, so I don’t really see why people are surprised.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: alexjolly.1463

alexjolly.1463

IDD they should add it to one of the sets.

Bnok – [EXG] Desolation
“A leader leads by example, not by force.” – Sun Tzu

Posted by: raptor.1064

raptor.1064

Can I have Mr. Sparkles for my birthday instead of boring human lady please?

Posted by: Bright.9160

Bright.9160

It’s been done before, yes, with the exclusive mini’s in GW1…

… look how that turned out..

Imagine a minipet worth 21,000 gold or more (tried to make some conversions using old ecto-to-gold prices and the current cash-to-gold prices).

Legion of Doom [LOD] – Death ’n Taxes [DnT]
“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard
that they will cry, not just a river, but a huge ocean.” – Wethospu

lordkrall.7241

Imagine a minipet worth 21,000 gold or more (tried to make some conversions using old ecto-to-gold prices and the current cash-to-gold prices).

Which is solved by it being account-bound and therefore not sellable.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Bright.9160

Bright.9160

I know, but the point I was trying to make was that Anet should’ve learned a lesson or two about exclusivity in GW1. That 1) people don’t like it, and 2) it can lead to some serious economical disproportions…

I don’t mind exclusivity in the sense that something can be hard to obtain, but something shouldn’t be exclusive by something as random as demographics, and something should always be attainable (or at least have the possibility to attain) by everyone.

Legion of Doom [LOD] – Death ’n Taxes [DnT]
“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard
that they will cry, not just a river, but a huge ocean.” – Wethospu

Seven Star Stalker.1740

Considering the state of Fused and Jade weapons currently, take it with a grain of salt that it’s gonna be permanent.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

Anet wants to break you. They make sure that people can’t collect everything. The moment you give up on being a completionist the game is much better I understand.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: WilliamDaBloody.2591

WilliamDaBloody.2591

Anyone know where to get this? It’s account bound so I’m assuming it’s either from a forge, reward or the store but I don’t see any mention of it in the patch notes.

You get some kind of code card at a meet & greet event at Gamescon 2013 in Cologne, Germany.

Now the kicker: I am near Cologne, Germany but I had no time to go on a real life quest for a mini. Don’t know if they are still handing these cards out over the weekend.

They probably hand out more of these cards at other events. If you are not there, they probably show up on ebay as well.

Basically I cannot complete my Mini collection anymore. OK, moving on…

(edited by WilliamDaBloody.2591)

lordkrall.7241

I know, but the point I was trying to make was that Anet should’ve learned a lesson or two about exclusivity in GW1. That 1) people don’t like it, and 2) it can lead to some serious economical disproportions…

But thats just the thing though.
They DID learn, and therefore made them non-tradeable.
People actually DO like having exclusive rewards.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Seven Star Stalker.1740

You get some kind of code card at a meet & greet event at Gamescon 2013 in Cologne, Germany.

Now the kicker: I am near Cologne, Germany but I had no time to go on a real life quest for a mini. Don’t know if they are still handing these cards out over the weekend.

They probably hand out more of these cards at other events. If you are not there, they probably show up on ebay as well.

Basically I cannot complete my Mini collection anymore. OK, moving on.

SPecial Minis dont go towards the Achievement.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Aguri.2896

Aguri.2896

But thats just the thing though.
They DID learn, and therefore made them non-tradeable.
People actually DO like having exclusive rewards.

In reality most people who got it probably didn’t even care and will just leave the mini sitting in their bank or quit GW2. Meanwhile those of us that do want it can’t even touch the dang thing. I’d rather have Mr. Sparkles than a legendary.

I’m only here because sometimes I just like to watch things burn.

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

There is another thread similar to this. Rift used to do this as well as wow. (I think wow did been a number of years)

As a mini pet collector this sucks. Please make this for sale.

Seven Star Stalker.1740

It’s especially irritating because we only get queen Jenna Minis for our birthdays, nothing else. So whilst its probably not that big an issue, with all the annoying, irritating Dcap ANet has been pulling, this is kinda like adding more flavor to the flames.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

There is another thread similar to this. Rift used to do this as well as wow. (I think wow did been a number of years)

As a mini pet collector this sucks. Please make this for sale.

Yeah, Blizzard has always done this as well, you basically get special WoW items for attending blizzcon that you couldn’t get anywhere else (most of the times have been pets).

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

Many Quaggans cried that day..

Posted by: MauricioCezar.2673

MauricioCezar.2673

Can I have Mr. Sparkles for my birthday instead of boring human lady please?

I agree. Can we? Please? pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaasee?

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

I don’t understand what the big deal is. It’s just some silly Skritt, right? Let the Germans have their rats.

locoman.1974

I don’t understand what the big deal is. It’s just some silly Skritt, right? Let the Germans have their rats.

It’s not a skritt..

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mr._Sparkles
http://nerdybookahs.wordpress.com/2013/08/23/i-present-to-you-mini-mr-sparkles/

Elbegast.6970

It’s not a skritt..

Now that’s even worse than a rat. It’s a robot named ‘Sparkles’?! That is just sad.

Posted by: Treeline.3865

Treeline.3865

If you have ever collected anything you will know why it is a big deal. If you have gone on to collect everything of something, and all of a sudden you had to travel to germany to keep your collection complete, then you would understand.

Leader of Heroes [Hero] – Seafarers Rest

KOPPER.1458

Yeah I agree here. It’s a collectors thing. Many players won’t understand or care. But for those that collect this is like a new weapon skin that looks awesome but you can only get it by going to a convention.

Posted by: Raire.7983

Raire.7983

I stopped trying to keep up with “special” mini’s last Wintersday, when they introduced the RNG ones, but I still find this irritating. There’s nothing positive about these kinds of promotions – they almost seem designed to irritate people.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

Yeah I agree here. It’s a collectors thing. Many players won’t understand or care. But for those that collect this is like a new weapon skin that looks awesome but you can only get it by going to a convention.

it’s really unfair, because conventions have a limited amount of tickets and getting there for the majority of us is really hard. Why not to make them rich and make them sellable? That way at least we could get the pet. Or add it to the gem store, but give them a free Mr Sparkles with maybe a unique recolor or something. I really want Mr Sparkles

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

2. If you are going to give someone a prize for attending a certain event, don’t make it bound to that person so other people can at least buy it

Please no. Such an exceedingly rare item would very likely become one of the most expensive items in the game, and as much as our lead ‘economist’ denies it, luxury items do cause inflation, a lot in fact. Top shelf items will always be reached for, people reach for them by accelerating the rate at which they create currenct, creating currency causes inflation. Additionally, setting that higher bar in the first place invariably causes sellers to to parse their sales in it’s direction, because buyer perceptions have changed. A double whammy on the economy.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Mirta.5029

Please no. Such a rare item would very likely become one of the most expensive items in the game, and as much as our lead ‘economist’ denies it, luxury items do cause inflation, a lot in fact. Top shelf items will always be reached for, people reach for them by accelerating the rate at which they create currenct, creating currency causes inflation. Additionally, setting that higher bar in the first place invariably causes sellers to to parse their sales in it’s direction, because buyer perceptions have changed. A double whammy on the economy.

for someone to sell it for a certain price, someone else already has to have that amount of money. New money just doesn’t appear out of nowhere. And I do want Mr Sparkles, but kitten me for not having 1000 pounds to fly to Pax right?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I don’t mind exclusivity in the sense that something can be hard to obtain, but something shouldn’t be exclusive by something as random as demographics, and something should always be attainable (or at least have the possibility to attain) by everyone.

How come when Anet does stuff you don’t like that was done in Guild Wars 1, that’s an issue? Everyone is saying how great Guild Wars 1 was, and how Anet went and changed all this stuff, and now, suddenly, people disagree with what Anet did and they should have learned something.

Maybe they did learn something and that’s why some of the things that have changed have changed.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Please no. Such a rare item would very likely become one of the most expensive items in the game, and as much as our lead ‘economist’ denies it, luxury items do cause inflation, a lot in fact. Top shelf items will always be reached for, people reach for them by accelerating the rate at which they create currenct, creating currency causes inflation. Additionally, setting that higher bar in the first place invariably causes sellers to to parse their sales in it’s direction, because buyer perceptions have changed. A double whammy on the economy.

for someone to sell it for a certain price, someone else already has to have that amount of money. New money just doesn’t appear out of nowhere. And I do want Mr Sparkles, but kitten me for not having 1000 pounds to fly to Pax right?

Tell that to the legendaries, nobody had that amount of money when they were first posted, even the majority of the sellers, some do now and more will given time. Why? There are no urgency costs in GW2, and no limitations on seller resources, including space. It isn’t feasible in a real economy to put something up for sale and expect inflation to catch up, you will end up losing more money and time than it was worth, but GW2 does not mimic a real economy enough for that to be true, especially because…

New money appears out of nowhere whenever people play. The creation of currency is limited by minting in the real world, no such system in the game.

And I’m sorry if that sounded brash, I don’t mean that I think you or anyone else does not deserve this and shouldn’t be able to get it, I just don’t want this to damage the economy. In reality I just wish ANet would stop doing stupid things like this in the first place.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: Jasott.7914

Jasott.7914

They did this last year with the Dragon Emblem Shirt Codes. Arenanet yes give out free stuff at the cons but DON’T not let us who aren’t made of money not be able to get them. Hell Mr. Sparkles is in the collectionables windows which means everyone should be able to get them if they want/try for it (like Liadri)

Cletus Van Damme.2795

Magumer Ranger

Mirta.5029

I don’t want to compete with a few millions for a chance to win a mini pet, I want to be able to buy it or earn it in game. I think that it’s unfair to reward people by a completely unique mini pet just for having more money than the rest of us.

Seven Star Stalker.1740

I don’t want to compete with a few millions for a chance to win a mini pet, I want to be able to buy it or earn it in game. I think that it’s unfair to reward people by a completely unique mini pet just for having more money than the rest of us.

Not even that. You can have plenty of money but what good is that if you live on the other side of the kittening ocean? |:

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

This suicks. Now I will never have a complete mini collection again. So what reason do I have to ever spend gems on minis in the shop now?

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: dcypher.2590

dcypher.2590

eh nothing new. wow has been giving out different types of murloc pets for years. Same thing ANet is doing. sucks you can’t get it after the conferences but I’d rather them give out something rather than nothing. Who knows maybe I’ll go one year, then I’ll get something.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

i dont care if they get something special, but it should not leave behind an empty slot in my collection. hide the slot if you dont own the mini then

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Zoreander.6710

Zoreander.6710

omg im so sad… i was there
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2602918/2013-08-22%2018.00.23.jpg

I looked for anet team everywhere ncsoft’s booth only had wildstar

But i had to leave one day early cause of planes and now ill never get it T_T and i was so excited at the chance to meet Anet staff but i saw no booth

KOPPER.1458

I also missed infernium from winters day. Still very sad about that one. I spent a good kitten amount of irl money on RNG to try to get one to no avail.

As a collector I hate empty spot. I was hoping next winterday to get that missing mini (which might not be possible) this might make 2. It not the end of the world to me, but I do hope he is buyable at some point.

Please take notice A net how many want to buy him. Please let us.

Cletus Van Damme.2795

It’s account bound and can’t be traded. RIP collectors.

Magumer Ranger

Posted by: citizankane.5723

citizankane.5723

I don’t even collect mini’s…yet, now probably never and think that’s kind of messed up if that’s the case. For people to have sunk so much gold/cash into these achievements and left with no hope for completion.

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

If you have ever collected anything you will know why it is a big deal. If you have gone on to collect everything of something, and all of a sudden you had to travel to germany to keep your collection complete, then you would understand.

I would ~almost~ peg this as a mental problem.

Things that, in no earthly way, become worth exuberant amounts of money when there is nothing that makes them worth more than any other common item because of some mental sense…… Things are different for old items that have a history, rare commodities like minerals or oddities you cannot obtain normally, but this is just a bunch of data and pixels.

I’m hoping I’m just reading most of these posts in an exaggerated tone, because it’s alright to want something someone else has. But the only ‘worth’ these extras have is giving the owner some individuality to emulate rarity. For all we know, the devs could simply mail everyone every mini in the game next week and suddenly the ‘value’ of such a ‘collection’ plummets to ‘worthlessness’ as having a level 80 of every profession.

locoman.1974

One quick question about the title… has it been really confirmed that it was “ONLY” in germany?

We know it was handed in germany, do we have confirmation that it’ll be the absolute only way to get it ever?.

(NOTE: not that I’d have a problem if it was the case, probably because I was used with it working like that with blizzcon’s exclusive pets in the years I played WoW)

Posted by: TRON.1085

TRON.1085

This sucks, a big kitten you to all mini collectors.

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

I think all Contest Rewards SHOULD be account bound.

Otherwise it will just be a repeat of the Kanaxai Mini that in cases was being blackmarketed for 1000’s of real $USD

This solution is basically the “If I can’t have it then no one else can”. Yeah it’s petty but atleast it’s fair to everyone unlike “Only the richest abusive Flippers can afford it”.

(edited by ilr.9675)

Posted by: Andrew.4506

Andrew.4506

Dropped thousands of gold getting all the minis. Is it really to be eternally marked as incomplete because I don’t have the funds to fly to germany?

Posted by: VitalSuit.1980

VitalSuit.1980

It’s not a skritt..

Now that’s even worse than a rat. It’s a robot named ‘Sparkles’?! That is just sad.

Have you played the game or did you just ignore Asura in general? How do you not know who Mr. Sparkles is…

Elbegast.6970

It’s not a skritt..

Have you played the game or did you just ignore Asura in general? How do you not know who Mr. Sparkles is…

I don’t play Asuran characters. I don’t much cotton to sci-fi in a medieval fantasy mmorpg. If it were up to me, the Asura would have gone extinct in the 250 years since Guild Wars 1.

Posted by: SeNoZinD.9874

SeNoZinD.9874

It’s not a skritt..

I don’t play Asuran characters. I don’t much cotton to sci-fi in a medieval fantasy mmorpg. If it were up to me, the Asura would have gone extinct in the 250 years since Guild Wars 1.

Thankfully, its not up to you