Missing GW1

Missing GW1

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: walle.6437

walle.6437

I really miss everything about GW1.

GW2 seems have turned its back on it’s fans.

I would go back in play it, except people are what made it fun with out a community there really is no game.

I really hope now that GW2 is out they create two teams, and finally make a 4th campaign or second expansion to GW1

Missing GW1

Posted by: Awesome.6120

Awesome.6120

I would go back in play it, except people are what made it fun with out a community there really is no game.

I feel like these two sentences contradict each other.

[SFD] – Maguuma

Missing GW1

walle.6437

I guess I was trying to say is I cant go back and play it, even though I want to. Most people are gone since the launch of GW2 its sadly a ghost town over there

Missing GW1

Posted by: Grim.5728

Grim.5728

You don’t NEED other people to play though. Just yesterday, I hopped on GW1 and vanquished 3 or 4 zones with just heroes.

Missing GW1

Posted by: Awesome.6120

Awesome.6120

You don’t NEED other people to play though. Just yesterday, I hopped on GW1 and vanquished 3 or 4 zones with just heroes.

How were the pvp queue times?

[SFD] – Maguuma

Missing GW1

walle.6437

I happen to enjoy playing with other people. If i want to play a solo game I will go play a RPG.

GW1 seemed to do everything better than GW2.

I just don’t understand why they would want to alienate they’re core fan base by removing design/mechanic concepts that made GW1 great.

Missing GW1

Posted by: Squirrelbane.2510

Squirrelbane.2510

I don’t see how GW2 has seen the franchise turn its back on the fans. For me it’s an evolution, not a jump to the side.

In so many regards it’s a continuation. Things like it having much of the same music, the huge shards in charr lands…
There’s things I miss. The roaming feel to dungeons for example. But that just has to be expected in an MMO.
And now we have one of the FOTMs dungeons as the Jade Sea as well. It’s amazing as an old GW1 player to see that.
GW2 promotes so much more interaction than GW1 ever did, and for me it’s a fantastic game. There will always be a sense of nostalgia though..

Missing GW1

Posted by: Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

I don’t see how GW2 has seen the franchise turn its back on the fans. For me it’s an evolution, not a jump to the side.

Vertical progression based on a RNG.

Missing GW1

Posted by: Razor Storms.8654

Razor Storms.8654

I completely agree with you. I used to love gw1 so, so much. I played it up to the very last day.

For me, I loved the game mechanics, which are completely and utterly different in gw2, also the sense of community. Everyday i used to run UW with my guild and used to have so much fun. Dungeons in gw2 are so time consuming and are so different. I wish gw2 had never come out and they just kept gw1 going.

Missing GW1

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

I happen to enjoy playing with other people. If i want to play a solo game I will go play a RPG.

GW1 seemed to do everything better than GW2.

I just don’t understand why they would want to alienate they’re core fan base by removing design/mechanic concepts that made GW1 great.

Pretty simple, really. WoW sold more copies in the end. Raw numbers > loyalty to fans. They figured it would be more worthwhile to emulate WoW than their own previous game.

It’s a shame because that’s not how it started and not what so many of us dreamed. But in the end, it was an unrealistic fantasy to think this game would be the sequel to GW1 in anything other than name only.

Being unique doesn’t pay well.

Missing GW1

Posted by: plasmacutter.2709

plasmacutter.2709

please explain to me how gw2 emulates wow at all.

I’m just not seeing it.

I’m seeing a game combat system and content that is focused on players’ overall skill rather than their ability to mash a dps rotation. I’m seeing pvp that’s competitive and not based around out-gearing your opponents.

I’m seeing a very well implemented game with more available content than WoW had 3 months after its launch, and more content coming out at a faster rate than Blizzard ever maintained.

People who bash this game as being “like wow” have some real blindfolds on.

Their only real balance failure thus far is the in-game economy, but I have enough patience to wait that out.

Missing GW1

Posted by: Nayru.3947

Nayru.3947

I’m just not seeing it.

I’m seeing a game combat system and content that is focused on players’ overall skill rather than their ability to mash a dps rotation. I’m seeing pvp that’s competitive and not based around out-gearing your opponents.

I’m seeing a very well implemented game with more available content than WoW had 3 months after its launch, and more content coming out at a faster rate than Blizzard ever maintained.

Their only real balance failure thus far is the in-game economy, but I have enough patience to wait that out.

Are you playing GW2? Or a different game

Missing GW1

plasmacutter.2709

I’m just not seeing it.

Are you playing GW2? Or a different game

Indeed I am playing GW2, did you ever play WoW?

Missing GW1

Tolmos.8395

I’m just not seeing it.

GW1: story driven, gear plateau based gameplay. Hit max level early, max stats early, play the rest of the game (the remaining 90%+) for looks, exploration, story and fun.

WoW/GW2: gear driven gameplay. Open world zones are bordering on ghost towns in both games, end game consists of everyone farming the same dungeons over and over for the newest tier of gear. Future enjoyment of the game revolves around getting bigger numbers for your character.

Missing GW1

plasmacutter.2709

I’m just not seeing it.

GW1: story driven, gear plateau based gameplay. Hit max level early, max stats early, play the rest of the game (the remaining 90%+) for looks, exploration, story and fun.

WoW/GW2: gear driven gameplay. Open world zones are bordering on ghost towns in both games, end game consists of everyone farming the same dungeons over and over for the newest tier of gear. Future enjoyment of the game revolves around getting bigger numbers for your character.

I make very little gold in this game, and have maybe two nights a week if i’m lucky where I can play it, but I have a toon at 80, an alt nearing 30, and can easily cap my 80 toon out on gear by simply visiting the TP and spending half of what I have (which, again, isn’t much).

I don’t feel compelled to cap it out, though. I’m able to do more damage and survive better than many exotic-geared players through skill .

Most PVP-ers say the same thing. A good pvp-er can take on 4-5 at once in this game, regardless of gear, while a bad one can’t take on one other no matter how geared.

The “gear curve” is so shallow you’d have to drop marbles on it to even notice it, it’s an illusion.

Let’s compare this to WoW, where you join pvp, even as a seasoned “raider”, and still get flattened because people stack gear to the rafters so you can’t do any damage to them, and may as well be fighting a champion with a human at the helm instead of ai.

(edited by plasmacutter.2709)

Missing GW1

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I don’t think it’s turned it’s back by any means although it feels very different to GW1 – the overall atmosphere was better there, but it has had years to establish that. It wasn’t always as good as it became, although the elitism that became part of the game with hard mode pushed me away personally as a casual player.

I like the fact that GW2 hasn’t really replaced the original and not made it redundant (I hate when sequels do that). The first is kept unique, fun and still there to be played. Hopefully it’ll stay up and running for a very long time. It is and always will be awesome and in its own right

GW2 has barely started to get going

Missing GW1

Posted by: LoneRath.3469

LoneRath.3469

The only resemblance to GW1 in this game is the story and some of the classes. I like the environment and even a couple of the classes, but the difference in game play and required skill in GW2 vs. GW1 is the part that is making this just another MMO I will play for 6 months and then move on.

Winter’s Day: I can’t even express how disappointed I am. It was fun in GW1, there were quests and thing to collect that actually were worthwhile. Now we get collectables to turn in for ugly junk. Tixx is ok, nothing special though. Jump puzzle was only worth the achievement as the rewards were cr*p. At least the Halloween puzzle gave you something.

What happened to the cosmetics from GW1? THAT was what people went after. A new weapon skin, new armor skins, nothing. The people making the decisions on what gear should like like in this game need to go back to the drawing board. Frankly 90% of the gear is ugly.

The skill system… The lack of imagination needed, the lack of thought in building your character… Maybe if we had the current trait system along with the freedom to build a real skill bar like in GW1 this would be more fun. The same 5 skills for each weapon from level 1 to 80, bleh. The absolute cr*p elites for most classes and worthless utility skills to fill up the four spots (woohoo, four whole spots…) leads to seeing the same builds on nearly everyone.

I guess that had to dumb it down to make it more playable to the masses.

I have 4 L80s and nearly 900 hours. I put in the effort to like this game. Never happened.

Oh, and now with gear grind!! Bye.

(edited by LoneRath.3469)

Missing GW1

plasmacutter.2709

What happened to the cosmetics from GW1? THAT was what people went after. A new weapon skin, new armor skins, nothing.

subjective is subjective…

I see a vendor with all manner of skins, I see more on the gem store, and yet more attainable through other means.

The game is only 3 Months Old , it’s not going to have the same number of skins as one 6 years old.

Patience is something generation y needs to learn.

Build variety is definitely there.. try confusion/glamor mesmer vs power mesmer vs conditoin mesmer vs mantra mesmer. the playstyles and flow are so radically different despite the “same 5 skills”

(edited by plasmacutter.2709)

Missing GW1

Nayru.3947

What happened to the cosmetics from GW1? THAT was what people went after. A new weapon skin, new armor skins, nothing.

I see a vendor with all manner of skins, I see more on the gem store, and yet more attainable through other means.

The game is only 3 Months Old , it’s not going to have the same number of skins as one 6 years old.

The population isn’t increasing for a reason. I didn’t buy gw2 to wait for over 3 months to find the real game. That’s what development is for and it clearly didn’t go to well.

Missing GW1

plasmacutter.2709

The population isn’t increasing for a reason. I didn’t buy gw2 to wait for over 3 months to find the real game. That’s what development is for and it clearly didn’t go to well.

Imagine if parenting were like this …. “i’m giving my child up for adoption, it wasn’t born at 22 years old with an undergrad degree”

Missing GW1

Nayru.3947

Imagine if parenting were like this …. “i’m giving my child up for adoption, it wasn’t born at 22 years old with an undergrad degree”

What does parenting have to do with a video game feeling like a beta 3 months into release?

Missing GW1

plasmacutter.2709

What does parenting have to do with a video game feeling like a beta 3 months into release?

Same general thought process.

A game has to be brought into the user world some time, or it will never be relevant. MMO’s in particular need time for their content to mature, and for the impact of user-interaction to take hold and be adjusted-for.

Developing more content for a game which has not been subjected to live-fire is useless and will make any undiscovered bugs even more complex, systemic, and destabilizing.

Every AAA mmo starts out in the same “infantile” state, even GW did. Content is released and matures over time in MMOs. (MMOs are the “fine wine” to the FPS “beer”)

Missing GW1

Posted by: LoneRath.3469

LoneRath.3469

The gear they launch with is UGLY. That is the problem. There is plenty of gear in the game with all the dungeons and crafting. It’s just bad…

I was quite patient after they dumped GW development. I wasted even longer when they changed gears. I waited even longer when they postponed the release, twice.

The had the time. They went off script in the middle of the effort. They had a plan and got lost in the implementation. That is their own fault. The environment looks great and the world has a lot depth in each map. Too many stranded ships, but that is a nit pick. The gear looks like crap, the skill bar change is a deal breaker for me.

Missing GW1

plasmacutter.2709

I happen to like at least half the gear models, but agree that the heavy and especially the medium armor could use a little work.

Again, more models will be introduced.

Missing GW1

Posted by: Charming Rogue.8071

Charming Rogue.8071

I miss GW1 hall of heroes. Please add this to GW2!

Desolation – EU – [KING] – Immortal Kingdom

Missing GW1

Posted by: critickitten.1498

critickitten.1498

If you miss GW1, go play it. It’s not like the game no longer exists, seriously.

And besides, if the complainers on this forum are to be believed, then everyone has already left GW2 to go back to GW1, right? So there should be tons of people to play with. Go play with them.

GW2 is a new game, it is not GW1 and they never advertised it as being exactly like GW1.

Did you ever play GW1 in the early years? Probably not, because if you had then you would know exactly what he’s talking about.

People have awfully short term memories and tend to forget that it took years for GW1 to find its own niche as a game, too. So did Rift, and so did WoW. GW2 is not unusual in this regard and it will take time for it to find its place, too.

Remember when our developers talked about “strengthening the core game”?
How’d that work out for us so far?
Now let’s try some ideas that will really work.

Missing GW1

Posted by: Elementdot.6081

Elementdot.6081

The only thing I wish that they got from GW1 when GW2 just launch is the title progression system. I know they are now achievements in GW2 but these achievement points are kind of worthless. I want titles that bare meaning, that you’ve achieved something.
Vanq all campaign maps. Completed all campaigns on HM + bonuses. ETC ETC. (I really hope they have something for HM on GW2 lol)
They all give titles and it showed other players that you did it. GW2, I only have the halloween title and few HoM titles. Dungeon titles i’m planning to get, but what’s next?
I hope the GW2 expansions will somehow expand the end-game. GW1 end-game grew ten-fold with HM and the special dungeons like mallyx.

Missing GW1

Tolmos.8395

Did you ever play GW1 in the early years? Probably not, because if you had then you would know exactly what he’s talking about.

People have awfully short term memories and tend to forget that it took years for GW1 to find its own niche as a game, too. So did Rift, and so did WoW. GW2 is not unusual in this regard and it will take time for it to find its place, too.

I’m wondering if you played GW1 in the early years. I logged more hours in prophecies, before Factions had even been mentioned, than I did in any other expansion they put out. I easily dropped 1,000 hours pre-factions alone. With the exception of W/Mos being OP, I had no complaints at all.

We remember early GW1 very differently.

Missing GW1

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

GW2 seems have turned its back on it’s fans.

I really hope now that GW2 is out they create two teams, and finally make a 4th campaign or second expansion to GW1

Saying you "miss everything " isent exactly constructive . what exactly do you miss from GW1 that’s not in GW2 and why did you like it? Broad generalizations dont help future development , details do .

Missing GW1

Posted by: interpol.2397

interpol.2397

I miss there being more people on GW1 as well. I still log in at peak times and do Zaishen quests, because that’s the only time you could hope for a team, outside of having a living guild.

Missing GW1

Posted by: innocens.1582

innocens.1582

@walle,

i had the same feeling at first, so i hardly played gw2.
But i started playing gw2 again a few days a go, trying to just play it as a new game.
And i must say, i’m starting to like it. Its not gw one, but it can still be fun.
I like that you can just join up with reandom people in events taking place,
that you dont kill steal but share, and what i realy liked was that i could read some books in a shop or something in divinty, and get lore info.
I love games like dragon age for these things, and i see these things a little in gw2 as wel. Im still a newb but when i see combo fields, and finishers im thinking cool what could we do with that?
Little things i didnt see at first because i was all gw1 minded.

Just play and go with the flow. it will surprise you maybe.

a man who doesnt make mistakes doesnt do anything

Missing GW1

walle.6437

I guess I feel cheated. The only thing that is the same in this game and GW 1 is the Lore.

So, this is for those you say if you miss it go back.
They pretty much stop development for GW1 5 years ago to start on GW2, and told us it was to improve on certain aspects that were lacking in GW1. Now that GW2 is out they have seemed to have forgotten what they set out to do.

It would have been better if they did not call it GW2 but rather something else and continued development of GW1. They used the success to sell the fan this game and it was entirely disappointing.

There is nothing to go back to i have done everything in GW1 that what happens when you don’t put out new campaigns or expac’s after 5 years .

The Core Elements that are missing

The skills
As stated by others in this thread the Skills are what drive me away from this game.

Compared to the endless combinations that you can make in GW1, this 5 skill system is almost an insult to original fans. There is literally zero skill progression.

I can max out every skill weapon before level 5. then the right side of the skill bar has little customization. Skill 1 has to be a heal skill 2-4 is all you get and skill 5 is a crappy worhtless elite.

Compare that to the multi-class skills in GW1, and the challenge of collecting elite skills from Boss mobs

Guild Hall and Guild vs. Guild
I don’t care what anyone has to say about this.

How the hell can you launch a game called Guild Wars 2 and have it missing those two things.

REALLY I dare you to justify that.

Decent Structured Group Play
Currently this game is design around chaos. Damage + Damage + Support is all this game has to offer. Dungeons once you get the hang of them are super easy and other people are just used for fodder. Any one can pretty much solo any of these dungeons.

They finally changed their poor dungeon design system with the new fractals, which I actually really liked how their design team set up, however the tiers of the fractals in theory may have looked good on paper. However, so does communism. They are gating the community now with this tier system.

Then there’s the infusion and ascended gear That is against their entire design philosophy dated back to 2005 when they launched GW1, which is another reason I missed GW1.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
- Mike Obrien

Lord of the Rings Online had something similar a few years back it was called radiance, it turned out so bad that its no longer in the game.

The Idea of GW1 was to be able to jump in and play with your friends and Guildies add a gating feature and now that’s gone.

(edited by walle.6437)

Missing GW1

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

the only thing i miss in GW1 is the time i spent from 2005 to early 2006 and IWAY.

Missing GW1

Posted by: Malzeth.2168

Malzeth.2168

I miss the immersion of the story lines from gw1. (Except factions, that one was as lame as this so called “personal story” which isn’t very “personal”. )

I miss the ability to farm whatever, whenever I wanted. Ele/Mes rune farm 4tw! Duo UW Ecto farm 4tw! (Well, before they nerfed drops to be based on how many REAL players you had in party with you)

I miss all the max level zone’s you could play in. Cause ring of fire and the Shiver peaks were AMAZING! (Unlike Orr…. which is beyond lame)

I miss playing a game that felt “Complete” instead of “Thrown together at the drop of a hat” (Well factions was pretty much “thrown together” as admited by Anet.)

I miss the seemingly endless amount of skills I had at my disposal, Even tho we could only use 8 at a time when we walked out of town. And the fun of “Capturing” elite skills from bosses.

I miss the “Radar” mini map that showed enemies and aggro range.

I miss chasing titles, farming Underworld and Fissure of Woe for elite expensive gear just so I could say I have it not because it’s “best in slot”, and collecting things as my “Endgame Content”, grinding gear is only fun to Koreans…

I MISS DISTRICTS IN TOWNS! (Yes, caps for a reason…)

I do however like, dodge rolling, Fractals (The content, not the gear grind), dungeons, WvW (despite the culling… because showing all names before models is hard i guess..), Dynamic Events (Which aren’t really that “Dynamic” but still semi fun overall), The art work around the world (Amazing), the different races, and the graphics engine is pretty nice.

Crystal Desert / Guardian, Ranger, Ele, Engi “pewpew!” “NO YOU FOCUS!!”

(edited by Malzeth.2168)

Missing GW1

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

I’m just not seeing it.

All of those things you mention about GW2 Anet has said they are going to fix in future patches.

Missing GW1

Posted by: Moderator.9532

Moderator.9532

This thread has been locked as it is off-topic.