Mission Impossible: Sharkmaw Cavern

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Woljnir.7810

Woljnir.7810

The change was immediately apparent. I died maybe three times in the 2.5 years prior when doing this JP, and those were flukes. After the patch I must have died 8 times trying to get down there for the Karka.

Posted by: Sparr.2501

Sparr.2501

There’s a rock jutting out on the right side of the slide-in that you can aim for to stop your drop. You’ll take damage, and depending on your level and gear you may survive it.

If you make it to that point, you can heal up and hop back into the slide, through the maw, and down into a pond. Aim for the center. Good luck.

No amount of gear or levels will reduce falling damage.

I didn’t say it would. You’re not down-scaled in LA, so gear bonuses and level count for vitality.

(edited by Sparr.2501)

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

The difference here is three-fold:

2. Failure at other JPs is rarely fatal and rarer still requires you to do a significant run to get back to your entry point. Usually a missed jump allows you to restart at some point in the middle.

3. You also now have to go back and get that kitten rifle, which can happen even if you survive the fall. Taking a dip will remove it.

First point is true, I don’t think it was ever intended for there to be a secret spot to slide through versus obvious ledges that need to be navigated.

Your second point though is simply not true. There are plenty, if not more than 50% of the JPs that are fatal if you fall (don’t have the time to look it up for facts, but having done them all multiple times, it just feels true. Maybe not at the entrance, but certainly during, and many times getting to the entrance is a much longer run than what is experienced in Sharkmaw (Not So Secret Jumping Puzzle for example).

Getting that rifle is a short run (under 10secs) from a FREE waypoint. Then another free waypoint to a ~1min run. Plus the water thing is a bug for Engies I thought. One of those karkas requires shooting it from underwater so I know for a fact you can use them underwater.

Essentially this entire thread = “dying on this JP is inconvenient. ANET FIX THIS!!”

Of course it’s inconvenient. They are all inconvenient when you fall and/or die.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Now they expect us to re-arrange our traits just to do a jumping puzzle?

Really? Rearranging one line is soooo hard, after all. :p

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

I didn’t have to retrieve my rifle after swimming, either. I was on my Thief; I’ve heard that Engineers have been a bit bugged there, and I have heartfelt sympathy for anyone that only has an Engineer and is thus barred from Princess.

I’m glad you mentioned that. I was using my engineer, because he is pretty mobile compared to my other characters. I took my Ranger and breezed through the rest of the collection.

Posted by: SlyDevil.3952

SlyDevil.3952

There’s a rock jutting out on the right side of the slide-in that you can aim for to stop your drop. You’ll take damage, and depending on your level and gear you may survive it.

If you make it to that point, you can heal up and hop back into the slide, through the maw, and down into a pond. Aim for the center. Good luck.

No amount of gear or levels will reduce falling damage.

I didn’t say it would. You’re not down-scaled in LA, so gear bonuses and level count for vitality.

Fall damage is a % value of your hp based on the distance of the drop, if you have double the hp, you take double the dmg, gear and level literally does nothing besides change the size of the number, it won’t affect the proportion of the number to your max hp.

Posted by: kahzee.6042

kahzee.6042

can be a pain for sure but dont give up!

Posted by: SlyDevil.3952

SlyDevil.3952

I took the fall damage trait, and carefully dropped myself to the first rock on the left. Then you can proceed from there.

I used to think that Sharkmaw was simply a matter of aiming for the waterfalls while you slide down, but either I was wrong, or this got bugged at some point. Now doing that is a guaranteed suicide.

Waterfalls working as intended, I was wet upon surviving the fall.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I don’t think they’ve changed it.

One of my favourite memories from launch is finding this jumping puzzle, dying on the way down, getting revived by one of the other people doing it and then hanging around in the pond reviving other people for a while before handing off to someone else.

Ever since then I’m mildly disappointed when I drop in and find myself alone.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

well thanks for the replies everyone, I tried a bunch of the stuff mentioned and what ended up doing the trick for me is doing the entrance in 2 jumps (landing on a little rock on the left side and then finishing the jump).

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Waterfalls working as intended, I was wet upon surviving the fall.

Well this is amazing, because I did exactly that, and fell to my death. Is it just very unreliable? Or is it randomized? I don’t get it.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: DaMunky.6302

DaMunky.6302

“Watch the ledges!”

Dear lord, what have I done? – Matthew Medina, Gw2 Content Designer