Mixing and matching with crit dmg & ascended

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Blissified.8369

Blissified.8369

I’m confused, so im trying to switch in more zerker stuff in my mixed stat set guardian, so i looked and saw that ascended rings, and NORMAL AND ASCENDED OTHER TRINKETS are the best things to get your crit dmg on (mainly for the gem slot)

So i got an ascended ring, which seems fine at first but then im thinking, well if they upgrade everything ascendd, wont the ascended ring fall back to being the worst for crit dmg?

and then i made the other stupid mistake of NOT going crit dmg with my ascended amulet as i was looking at the stats without taking into account ascended vs exotic stats.

So am i screwed? should i get another matching ascended zerker stat ring? taking into account we may have everything ascended at some point, and as a guardian i want to slowly add in a bit more zerker gear to my completely mixed and match armor set is adding in zerker, rings(2), zerker accesrories and zerger backpiece

• will doing this in this order, ruin my min-max?

since when all ascended items come out, rings will be one of the worse things to get ur crit from? ive already got 2 ascended peices, ones an ascended power/prec/tough amulet and the other (the ring) is an ascended zerker ring.

(btw for all the trinkets, dont forget to add that the jewel uppgrades for all trinkets only cost your a variable of “5” when your looking at the crit dmg / item chart, thus trinkets upgrade jewels are the cheapest, which would probably also count for ascended trinkets suffix, but even still i think the amulet that i got that wasnt crit dmg shoulda been crit dmg for min-mix)

(edited by Blissified.8369)

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

should i get another matching ascended zerker stat ring?

I’ll tell you now, because it’s not obvious in-game: you can only have 1 of each ring or accessory equipped at a time. so you can’t equip 2 Solaria’s or 2 Halfmad’s.
what you have to do is get something like 1 Halfmad and 1 Appleseller, where they have the same stats but one gives offense slot and one is defensive slot

as for your question, you could always just save your laurels and commendations for now. if it’s that important to you, that’s probably the way to go.

Blissified.8369

yeha i know this.

and no i cant save up because i already spent a ton of laurals

on an ascended precision;toughness;vit ascended amulet, and one zerker ring i need to know
if i shoulda got a zerker ascended amulet and a non zerker- or if i need the crit dmg a zerker ring (as zerker rings arnt the best bang for ur buck)

Posted by: Oranisagu.3706

Oranisagu.3706

for maxing stats vs crit dmg, you obviously have to calculate how many stat points one percent of crit dmg costs – you can see that easily yourself and the ‘calculation’ shouldn’t be hard. i.e. rings, helmet, legs each cost 16 statpoints per critdmg for exo, but I don’t know how much it is for ascended, didn’t write it down yet.

as for the question whether going for crit dmg on every piece or leave out those with too high a cost. I can’t really say.. the damage calculations seem pretty straight-forward, but somehow I don’t trust the formulas ;-) if you do, it’s easy:
make an excel sheet, enter the variables (Weapon DMG, Power, CritChance, CritDmg, SkillCoefficient, TargetArmor), enter the formula for the damage calculation below them. copy your row a few times and switch the variables around.
quick reminder:
normal dmg = weapon dmg * power * skill coefficient / target armor
crit dmg = normal dmg + (normal dmg * CritChance * (CritDmg+50%))

yes, it can be simplified, but this is a bit easier understandable =)

take into consideration that if you need high precision to proc stuff (sigils, traits etc), you might sacrifice a bit of direct dmg in favour of higher crit-chance.
I like 1-2 rabid stuff because my mesmer inflicts a lot of conditions anyway, so the condidmg isn’t a lost stat, and precision as a main stat means more crits than with zerker gear.

Posted by: Quick Mouse.7635

Quick Mouse.7635

At the moment I am using knights armor + weapons and berserker accessories, following strifey’s guide:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWfgaA_MJw0&list=PLzYy8FVzP3HauPQvucrlqudKTQFkoa4kg&index=1
I find this to be the optimal setup for pve and dungeon farming. You will have around 45% cc with about 76% cd and around 3k armor.
Accessories are the best place to get crit damage since you lose out on the least amount of stat points. Chest armor and weapons are the worst.
Edit: out of curiosity what amulet did you get?

Tactical Fury [TF] – Late NA/early OCX driver (SoS)
Spirit of Faith [HOPE] – RIP

Blissified.8369

i got the precision tough vit ascended amulet and an ascended zerker ring.

BTW to the person who said u have to add up, also dont forget trinket upgrades coefficent stat cost is the lowest (5) and so say for trinkets u gotta add that 5 for the upgrade to the other coefficent.

My question was do i gotta re-roll my ascended amulet if i want max crit stats,
as it shows rings are NOT good to get crit dmg on as rings are 16.

I messed up because i was looking at ascended rings number well when the REST of ascended items (all ascended) come out the rings ascended variable (the exotic rings are NOT the best for crit dmg stackign as its 16, as oposed to the other trinkets 13)

and 16 plus 5 (for upgrade slot) is 21 (this is for exotic ring)

21 is real high compared to a lot of other stuff.

i dono how much crit ill end up needing but to min – max looks like i shoulda went crit dmg for my amulet and left the rings till later to see if i stil needed crit dmg

after i got all zerker amulets and earings (accessories)

make sence?

Blissified.8369

note using this as a reference:

5 stat points – upgrade slot of trinkets and backpack
7 points – Ascended Back Piece
8.5 stat points – Ascended Rings
8.7 stat points – Ascended Earrings
9.4 stat points – Ascended Amulet
10 stat points- traits (not an equipment, but listed for comparison)
12 stat points – glove, shoulder and boots
12.8 stat points – 1H weapons and amulet
13.33 stat points – Earring
14 stat points – Backpack (rare version from guild armorsmith)
14.22 stat points – 2H weapons
14.4 stat points – Coat
16 stat points – Ring, helm and legging

USE TRINKET UPGRADE “JEWELS” AND THEN TRINKETS IN GENERAL******

Chest 72/5 14.4
Leg 48/3 16
Head 32/2 16
S/G/B 24/2 12

Amulet 64/5 12.8
Acces. 40/3 13.3

so if i have currently a prec/tough/power (ascended)
necklace

and a zerker ring (ascended)

i shoulda not done this, as yes right now ascended rings are one of the best, but isnt that only because not all ascended stuff is out, plus ascended amulet is better to get for crit dmg then ascended ring right? (dont forget to add 5 to all those trinket numbers for the jewel upgrade slot that will add even more crit dmg,)

Posted by: Quick Mouse.7635

Quick Mouse.7635

Honestly given the cost of amulets i wouldn’t worry about it. Knights stats are almost as good, since the extra tough provides more survivability as well as precision (if you’re traited for it). Maybe a few months down the road when you have all your other gear and nothing to spend laurels on I would worry about it. Not until then.

Tactical Fury [TF] – Late NA/early OCX driver (SoS)
Spirit of Faith [HOPE] – RIP

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

Even when ascended weapons and armor come out it is unlikely it will give a better return on critical damage than the jewelry. As long as the jewels are locked into the trinkets, you’re going to want to have full zerker/valkyrie jewels before you even think about zerker anywhere else.

Blissified.8369

engisn that looks to be true for all trinkets except the ascended rings because the 5 which is the trinket upgrade plus the ammy equals 21

unless my math is wrong, which is may be because the 5 points that trinkets cost for crit, are non ascended trinket numbers… if i make sence

(edited by Blissified.8369)

Blissified.8369

engisn that looks to be true for all trinkets except the ascended rings because the 5 which is the trinket upgrade plus the ammy equals 21

unless my math is wrong, which is may be because the 5 points that trinkets cost for crit, are non ascended trinket numbers… if i make sence

Posted by: Mattargul.9235

Mattargul.9235

I didn’t think you could upgrade ascended items with jewels, they are “built-in”. You just have the infusion slots, for which I haven’t seen a crit dam infusion yet.

Am I missing something?

Dances with Leaves – Guardian – Sanctum of Rall (SoR)

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

No, you’re not making sense. Try again?

I didn’t think you could upgrade ascended items with jewels, they are “built-in”. You just have the infusion slots, for which I haven’t seen a crit dam infusion yet.

Am I missing something?

With exotic jewelry, if you didn’t want a 100% commitment to critical damage some of the best choices involved a non-crit damage ring with a beryl or ruby jewel. It was better to put crit damage on your weapons or gloves, for example, than the base ring.

With ascended jewelry you don’t have that choice, so you take the crit damage ring+jewel ‘package’, since it’s still the best together, an take non-crit damage stats elsewhere.

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

the only way to solve this is to allow exotics to become ascended versions. say you mixed and matched ruby ring with an emerald jewel, you could throw that to the Mystic Forge to be ascended as such.